The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 4/8/2018 at 7:42 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

AD0E4451-6792-40EF-93F7-D75EA8E3B800_zps

Took this out today, thinking about switching out to an ACOG since I’m not going much more than 400 meters.

What do you think about that stock?  There are days when I look at that stock and drool for it.  Then there are days that make me wonder if it is bulky and a pain in the ass.  Beautiful gun btw... I think that goes without saying.  Also, you have quite a collection.

My tax stamp came today in for my first can. Hopefully picking up tomorrow.
Sig SRD 762 for my 300 WM and AR. I ordered a can for my 1911 at the same time, but haven’t got the call on that yet, really looking forward to getting that.

Do I just go in and sign some stuff and it’s mine or are they going to extort me further?

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

What do you think about that stock?  There are days when I look at that stock and drool for it.  Then there are days that make me wonder if it is bulky and a pain in the ass.  Beautiful gun btw... I think that goes without saying.  Also, you have quite a collection.

Thanks.  I like the stock, it doesn’t get in the way and feels comfortable compared to an AR or AK stock.

They make an alternate stock with a compartment but I wasn’t that interested.

Sig SRD 762 for my 300 WM and AR. I ordered a can for my 1911 at the same time, but haven’t got the call on that yet, really looking forward to getting that.

Do I just go in and sign some stuff and it’s mine or are they going to extort me further?

Pay the dealer for the transfer if necessary, and fill out a 4473. At least that’s how mine went.

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you have a few bucks laying around, you can buy a prototype of a 1971 Colt pistol that they were looking at replacing the 1911 with.  Well, if you have around $14,000 - $22,000.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/73/1851/early-prototype-colt-model-1971-pressp-double-action-pistol

If they have a Mateba Unica in the auction buy it for me and I'll pay you back

MatebaAutoRevolver6in3.jpg

Finally picked up one of my grail guns (my uncle is liquidating everything in his arsenal that isn't .30 caliber)  

A JM stamped Marlin 1895GS in .45-70 with lots of custom work done to it.  Barrel cut to 16.25", magnaported, big front blade sight with ghost ring rear, upgraded internals (hammer, trigger, springs, etc)   It's not a Grizzly custom but it also wasn't 3,000 dollars.  

Dont have a pic of it at the moment but this is almost exactly what she looks like:

Image result for marlin 1895gs custom

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, krevo said:

Finally picked up one of my grail guns (my uncle is liquidating everything in his arsenal that isn't .30 caliber)  

A JM stamped Marlin 1895GS in .45-70 with lots of custom work done to it.  Barrel cut to 16.25", magnaported, big front blade sight with ghost ring rear, upgraded internals (hammer, trigger, springs, etc)   It's not a Grizzly custom but it also wasn't 3,000 dollars.  

Dont have a pic of it at the moment but this is almost exactly what she looks like:

Image result for marlin 1895gs custom

Cool platform and caliber...almost hit buy after viewing Wind River.

When did you file?

53 minutes ago, krevo said:

Nice looking rifles, NoHarley.  

My next purchase will be a Nosler M48 Liberty in 26 Nosler.  Found them on sale for just over a grand, normally priced around 1800.

The Excalibur was a steal from Scheels Utah.  

Thats a great price on the Liberty 

Did a fly in/out of Hobby this week and while killing time between meetings I found a pre64 70 featherweight in .308 at a pawn shop on 146 south of Kemah.  Stock was buggered where both sling fittings were attached but action/barrel was in great shape.

they were asking $1300 for it but I passed.  Might have gone for it if I had negotiated it down.  Having some regrets now that I’m back home. 

Yes sir. 

I’m wanting to reload for my 375 WBY and my 300 WM. I’m a novice here, but I’ve done some reading. I’m thinking I’ll go single stage press, electronic powder measure. Any other advice on equipment or stuff that has worked for you?

8 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Did a fly in/out of Hobby this week and while killing time between meetings I found a pre64 70 featherweight in .308 at a pawn shop on 146 south of Kemah.  Stock was buggered where both sling fittings were attached but action/barrel was in great shape.

they were asking $1300 for it but I passed.  Might have gone for it if I had negotiated it down.  Having some regrets now that I’m back home. 

I dropped my boat off over in that area today. Pick up next week. Let me know if the regret gets the better of you. 

If you are doing rifle rounds, especially for precision, you will probably want a single stage. At least the people that I know that reload do.

That seems to be the consensus, seems like auto-indexing and progressive presses are more pistol/small rifle only. I’m looking at RCBS, probably the way I’ll go.

Hornady has good pricing and a broad market presence, and their progressive press has some fans, I just kinda get the feeling they are the McDonalds of the reloading world or something. RCBS, Dillon, Redding, Lee all seem to get more positive mentions on reloading forums than Hornady.

Primary elk carry last year. 7MM Mashburn ...700 action squared to a Lilja 26" fluted, Edge stock, Timney, Kampfeld fluted/ceracoated bolt. Kampfeld Hunter bolt handle....4x12x40 VXR CDS Firedot. Talley Lightweights.Weighs about 8 lbs all in. 180 Scenar L @ 3100 fps. It is a dependable mountain tool that won't wear you out toting up and down for days.

7 Mash

Purple ceracoat....no Frog

Pure le

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 686 said:

That seems to be the consensus, seems like auto-indexing and progressive presses are more pistol/small rifle only. I’m looking at RCBS, probably the way I’ll go.

Hornady has good pricing and a broad market presence, and their progressive press has some fans, I just kinda get the feeling they are the McDonalds of the reloading world or something. RCBS, Dillon, Redding, Lee all seem to get more positive mentions on reloading forums than Hornady.

I'd get a turret press. I think that's still considered single stage, but you can leave your dies in and adjusted to negate that as a source of variation between batches.

I'd get a turret press. I think that's still considered single stage, but you can leave your dies in and adjusted to negate that as a source of variation between batches.

Valid point. Some people say changing dies isn’t a big deal, but it seems like something that would be convenient to avoid.

13 hours ago, 686 said:

What calibers are you looking to reload?  For your first loading setup up, get a regular single stage press kit, either RCBS or Hornady and add a good case prep setup and tumblr/cleaner.  I wouldn't go with the turret setup as a first choice, although you get most of the  quick die change benefits of  a turret using the Hornady LoadnLock system.    Even if you get a progressive or turret down the road there are lots of operations where its handy to already have a single stage press setup.     

and Lee is the McDonalds of the reloading world.   Inexpensive and will reload ammo but there are a hell of alot better options out there.

• Like 1

What calibers are you looking to reload?  For your first loading setup up, get a regular single stage press kit, either RCBS or Hornady and add a good case prep setup and tumblr/cleaner.  I wouldn't go with the turret setup as a first choice, although you get most of the  quick die change benefits of  a turret using the Hornady LoadnLock system.    Even if you get a progressive or turret down the road there are lots of operations where its handy to already have a single stage press setup.     
and Lee is the McDonalds of the reloading world.   Inexpensive and will reload ammo but there are a hell of alot better options out there.

375 Weatherby and 300 Win Mag mostly, then maybe other stuff later.

Good info, thanks!

In case the bears get too close to the chicken coop or the whales a little too close to the shoreline....;)

I’m wanting to get a Barnes LRX @ ~2800 FPS load worked up, should be good medicine for Africa or Alaska trips I’m hoping to make.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 686 said:

375 Weatherby and 300 Win Mag mostly, then maybe other stuff later.

Good info, thanks!

OK, big stuff then.  Belay previous recommendations and buy a Redding Big Boss or Ultramag if you are focusing on magnum length cartridges.    I like the Redding competition die sets for rifle, Redding or Harrel measures and the Wilson micrometer case trimmer.  Would suggest starting with some other smaller caliber to learn the reloading process and how to work up a load.  Buy two or three different reloading manuals and cross reference loads.   Always check load data obtained online with a mfr published source.

• Like 1

270 gr should be enough down range energy for the dark continent...

This season I shot a couple of whitetails with Hornady 250gr monometals @ 2850fps from the 375 WBY, and they basically hit the ground like someone had dropped a piano on them. Everything runs after the shot in Africa (from what I hear), but I want to do everything I can to shorten tracking jobs and reduce the risk of losing game.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 686 said:

This season I shot a couple of whitetails with Hornady 250gr monometals @ 2850fps from the 375 WBY, and they basically hit the ground like someone had dropped a piano on them. Everything runs after the shot in Africa (from what I hear), but I want to do everything I can to shorten tracking jobs and reduce the risk of losing game.

Agreed.  Spent a few years during my summer guiding at an exotic range in N.Texas.  You need a significant amount of kinetic energy and mass to penetrate adequately on some of the larger game (Nilgai, Kudu, Eland, Bongo, Cape Buffalo + safety from predators like a charging cat).  375 Weatherby fits that bill perfectly.  Great terminal ballistics at distance (which you will have in Africa).

.300 great for pretty much everything else minus maybe Blackbuck and some of the smaller antelopes like Springbok and Thompson's.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Thanks, RMac, they're handsome pieces for sure. Here's a 25-06 1-B like new pawn find...great wood and shoots small. Used a fixed 6 glossy. 

25-06

Damn that’s a great looking rifle. The 25-06 would be my first choice in caliber.

whats the difference in the no.1 and no.1B?