The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Thanks, RMac, they're handsome pieces for sure. Here's a 25-06 1-B like new pawn find...great wood and shoots small. Used a fixed 6 glossy. 
41407922351_dac7f91ffa_b.jpg  
Nice.

Does anyone ever sit in that chair?
Primary elk carry last year. 7MM Mashburn ...700 action squared to a Lilja 26" fluted, Edge stock, Timney, Kampfeld fluted/ceracoated bolt. Kampfeld Hunter bolt handle....4x12x40 VXR CDS Firedot. Talley Lightweights.Weighs about 8 lbs all in. 180 Scenar L @ 3100 fps. It is a dependable mountain tool that won't wear you out toting up and down for days.
26537299887_e99a516d6f_b.jpg Purple ceracoat....no Frog
39599320930_eb8e65ff69_b.jpg  
Nice boot collection. And gun.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Damn that’s a great looking rifle. The 25-06 would be my first choice in caliber.

whats the difference in the no.1 and no.1B?

The 1-B is the standard 26" walnut/blued....#1-BBZ is Stnlss/Laminate...

Guide:

1-A: This is the model called the Light Sporter. It has a 22" barrel with iron sights and an Alex Henry forend (Yes! That's the one with the groove in it...) Weight: about 7 1/4 lbs.

1-AB: This is also a Light Sporter , but has NO iron sights and a semi-beavertail forend. (Kind of a cross between the 1-A and the 1-B) These were made from 1981-'83 and disfontinued when the #1-RSI was introduced...

1-B: This model is called the Standard Sporter. It has a 26" clean barrel (No sights) Wieght: about 8 lbs.

1-S: This model is called the Medium Sporter . It has a 26" barrel with sights and Alex Henry fore-end. Chamberings Were : 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, and .45-70 Gov't... .45-70 has 22" barrel. (Recently the .338 RCM and some pistol chamberings were added with 22" barrels...) 

1-RSI: This model is called the International model. It has a 20" barrel with full stock and sights. (.243 Win, 7x57, .270 Win, and .30-06) 

1-H: This is Tropical rifle. It has a 24" Heavy bbl with sights. Calibers: .375 H&H and .405 Win. in a fairly heavy barrel. (Weight: Just over 9 lbs.) and .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, .404 Jeffery, .458 Win Mag, .400/.450 Nitro Exp., and .450 NE. w/ Very Heavy barrel (About 10 lbs.) (Also has Alex Henry for-end) 

1-V: This is the Varmint Model. This has 24" heavy barrel with beavertail fore-end in .223, .22/250 .243, 6mm Rem, and .25-06. 26" heavy barrel in .220 Swift. (Back in the '70's, a few 1-V's were produced in .280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, and .300 Win Mag... ) Ruger catalog lists the weight as 9 lbs, but I believe they are heavier than that. More like: "God-Awful-Heavy".

Don't have one, buying one tonight. I have some O-Light flashlights though that are well made. Am on their mailing list, thus the flash sale notification.

This one is 4 times as bright as the TLR1, not as water resistant. It's rated for rain, heavy splash etc. but not submersion. Also freezing it in a block of ice is not good for it.(stupid shit people do on a youtube review). Mine will live on a pistol next to my bed, so submersion should not be a problem.

14 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

I stopped by my local gun shop to buy the HK P2000 they had and it was sold. Is this a sign to save money? Anyone own one? 

Never owned one.  Fired them on multiple occasions and know a friend that has one.  Quality platform.  Often overlooked.  What was the intended use?  CHL - little big.  Truck gun - perfect.  Range/home gun - perfect.

On 4/12/2018 at 7:02 PM, PatSolitanojr said:

I stopped by my local gun shop to buy the HK P2000 they had and it was sold. Is this a sign to save money? Anyone own one? 

It's a sign that you need to buy some old school iron. Maybe start with an Uberti 1847 Walker replica. That should scratch an itch you didn't know you had.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, Robin Masters said:

FWIW O-light is having a flash sale Friday on their PL-2 weapon light. 6-8pm CST

"1,200 lumen weapon light for only $60 with free shipping and a no questions asked 5 year warranty. Need we say more? "

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/tactical/olight-pl-2-valkyrie

Thanks!  Bought 2 of them this morning.

5 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

el centro  was last adjust right?

is a meter kinda like a yard?

No adjustments made between three shots.  Due to wind and rain, I’ll need to go back out and see if any additional adjustments are needed but I doubt it.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Time to make a holster for my new Single Action Army Clone. Got a pattern made and ready to cut out on the leather. Note, I still need to mark the holes on the pattern before I cut it out. Every other holster I've made I have just kind of punched holes as I went without any kind of pattern. We will see how this goes. Doing it this way should allow me to do some tool some fancy designs into it, so that is a plus. If this goes well I may try my hand at a simple cartridge belt.

bj192OPu_o.jpg

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, solamente73 said:

So, that was your first gun, bought new?

Actually I did buy it new in 1965 at Chuck's Guns on Interregional Highway (Austin) - $29.95. Italian replica of a 1750 vintage British Tower pistol, .69 caliber.

Edited by Armybrat

I've never shot a suppressed weapon and looking at that makes me curious about the balance and ability to aim accurately with so much weigh out front.

It’s not as different as you would think, plus that photo makes the can look bigger than it is, here’s a different perspective:

f1afbf7d086c4fe51917c755671287e4.jpg
  • Like 1

Reloading Endeavor Update:

After exhaustive(ing?) research, I decided to go with the Redding Big Boss 2, and their slide bar automatic primer feed system. This seemed to combine a magnum cartridge sized press with what looks to be a well designed primer feed system (I don’t want to handle primers individually if I can avoid it).

I’ve also picked up a set of RCBS dies for 375 WBY, some Lyman case cleaning and prep accessories, and a Hornady reloading manual (only published source with 375 WBY I could find)

Probably going to go with an RCBS Chargemaster Lite powder dispenser.

My rifle really liked the Hornady Superformance ammo, so I’m going to try that powder with the Barnes 270gr LRX working up from minimums ( nothing published with this combo so going to have to interpolate some).

Pics to come at some point when I get all this stuff set up. Lots of strands in ol’ Duder’s head....