Texas vs Seton Hall- Thursday, Dec. 9th, 5:30 pm on FS1

shadow_operative

I hereby admit, I have always just skimmed past those stat sheets.  It's a little TLDR for my ADHD issues.  But let's take a shot.  Taking the 3pt line as an example - does that read that we are shooting 39.4% and that is 19th in the country?  And they defend the 3 at 26.8% and that is 23rd in the country? Hmmm....I'll go back above and think I'm doing it right when I say - we shoot well from 3, they defend well.  They shoot poorly from 3, we defend poorly from 3.  Odd.

8 hours ago, jeevsie said:

I hereby admit, I have always just skimmed past those stat sheets.  It's a little TLDR for my ADHD issues.  But let's take a shot.  Taking the 3pt line as an example - does that read that we are shooting 39.4% and that is 19th in the country?  And they defend the 3 at 26.8% and that is 23rd in the country? Hmmm....I'll go back above and think I'm doing it right when I say - we shoot well from 3, they defend well.  They shoot poorly from 3, we defend poorly from 3.  Odd.

Yes. Texas shoots 39.4% from 3 - teams so far this season combined have shot 26.8% against Seton Hall. And Texas defends about average from 3. I think there's 360 something D1 teams so in the 180s is middle of the pack - 177 a bit better.

I think Texas wins this. High single digits or 10-12.

Beard indicated he's been in a full-contact practice, but doesn't go in all the practices or does all of them but not for the whole time.  He had some caveat like that on Monday.  I would think a good time, if it's medically possible, to bring him into the mix would be that two game home stretch of Rice and Incarnate Word.  Prep him for conference play on the 1st of the year.  Stanford has a lot of size, as usual.  Banging around that much in your first game back might be too much of a stretch.  

Speaking of banging around, Bishop, Allen, and Mitchell need to double their aggression on the boards this evening in Jersey (Seton Hall is great at offensive rebounding this season, 90 of 'em in 8 games).  Shit, send in Cunningham and Benson for short spurts just to shove elbows and commit fouls against their bigs.  They also play great defense, don't foul much, and of course they have a 7'2" grad transfer (FSU) who averages 3 blocks/game in just 18 minutes/game.  7 guys averaging 9ppg+, so there's your depth concern.  They are a heavy transfer-laden team, as we are.  7 of their guys including multiple starters.  By they are gelling well together and quite rapidly.  

Huge test tonight.  Yuge.  Literally.  5 guys over 6'8" and 4 them play in the main rotation.  Shit, their starting point guard is a legit 6'6".  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Huge test tonight.  Yuge.  Literally.  5 guys over 6'8" and 4 them play in the main rotation.  Shit, their starting point guard is a legit 6'6".  

Yeah, the inside looks like a net negative for us, we can’t come close to matching that size. I’m thinking we will need to turn them over and a few guys shoot well from outside, Ramey, Jones, Carr or Febres.

Jase appears to have good games and then terrible games from three, need good Febres tonight and maybe mix it up and let Mitchell jack a few threes to spread the floor, he is shooting .42% beyond the arc.

Looks like a solid team at their house, they beat the hell out of Nyack, so there’s that.

Nyack Warriors

https://athletics.nyack.edu/sports/mbkb/index

D2 school

Nyack College has a total undergraduate enrollment of 1,184 (fall 2020), with a gender distribution of 46% male students and 54% female students.

Helllllooo ladies.

The school ranks #106 in New York for highest average GPA. If your high school grades are above the average 2.74 GPA, you have a very good chance of being admitted as Nyack College accepts 98% of all applicants.

Kurtis Blow underwent heart transplant surgery in 2020, so you now are fully informed.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Blotto said:

A quick review of their wiki page leads me to believe this is their most significant achievement

image.png.ece5cfbb59ebc04bc677a997acbcefd8.png

presumably basketball is their favorite sport. 

I went to high school with someone who played on the women’s basketball team at Nyack. Last I heard she is back in Texas and is the AD at a small, rural high school in west Texas.

Having Curtis Blow on the alumni list is honestly pretty cool.

Edited by UpperWestside

4 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Nyack Warriors

https://athletics.nyack.edu/sports/mbkb/index

D2 school

Nyack College has a total undergraduate enrollment of 1,184 (fall 2020), with a gender distribution of 46% male students and 54% female students.

Helllllooo ladies.

The school ranks #106 in New York for highest average GPA. If your high school grades are above the average 2.74 GPA, you have a very good chance of being admitted as Nyack College accepts 98% of all applicants.

Kurtis Blow underwent heart transplant surgery in 2020, so you now are fully informed.

A seminary in upstate New York with a 54:46 women-to-men ratio who plays its basketball games in New Jersey.  I smell Reality TV show!  Didn't realize you could play D-II schools in the regular season anymore.  

Anyway, two hours to tip.  Let's get some cocktails and do this!

Any Horn fans in the area, I recommend Tops Diner in East Newark, good eats and good portions... 

https://www.thetopsdiner.com/menus/

For shits and giggles, looked into taking a train down to Newark for the game but only train I could take after work didn’t get there till well after the game would have ended.  It was like an 8hr trek...  wtf?  It’s only about 3 in a car.  

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Any Horn fans in the area, I recommend Tops Diner in East Newark, good eats and good portions... 

https://www.thetopsdiner.com/menus/

For shits and giggles, looked into taking a train down to Newark for the game but only train I could take after work didn’t get there till well after the game would have ended.  It was like an 8hr trek...  wtf?  It’s only about 3 in a car.  

I recommend Holsten's. Try the onion rings.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oklahoma has a transitive loss to a D2 school this season. 

I don't think  we're supposed to call that one OU cheerleader that.  (somebody help me out with an imbedded image)

Edited by Lobo

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I recommend Holsten's. Try the onion rings.

I heard Holsten's switched to a Members Only dining policy on weeknights, what will at the Jersey riff-raff running about?  Plus, I've spent a lot of time in Jersey, and parking around there is a fucking pain in the ass.  Been late for a lot of meals...

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, SDG said:

Rolling with it 

Yeah line swung from Horns -2 to Horns + 2 over the last day. I honestly have no clue how this will play out, so I'm considering a small entertainment parlay with Tex and the Over (133.5). Pays off a little over 3 to 1. 

Edited by Blotto

Somebody post some updates.  Gotta go to this damn holiday party.  All UT people, but the hosts are  one of those "We don't own a television, it rots the intellectual soul" types.  So yeah, real fun.  I know somebody will be streaming it on their phone but I don't want to huddle around a bunch of unvaxxed septuagenarians during Covid/Flu season.