Halo: The Series (Live Action, Paramount, 2022)

atomheartbevo

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

In the asteroid belt in our own solar system - for example - each individual floating piece of rock would be billions of miles away from each other. You'd sail through totally unharmed. 

Or in a densely-packed area of asteroids, they would have all smashed each other to tiny bits many decades/centuries/millenia ago.

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or in a densely-packed area of asteroids, they would have all smashed each other to tiny bits many decades/centuries/millenia ago.

Yep. That's the how to the why. 

(not that I'm trying to nitpick the series from an accuracy standpoint - enjoying it so far)

Edited by ztejas

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yep. That's the how to the why. 

(not that I'm trying to nitpick the series from an accuracy standpoint - enjoying it so far)

He needed an antagonist to engage in a bass war with him in the asteroid field.  This scene with Obi Wan and Jango in the asteroid field….
NSFW

On 4/2/2022 at 3:15 AM, ztejas said:

Oh - yeah - I meant to touch on this. 

In reality (well, OUR reality) - asteroid fields look nothing like that. Space is mostly empty. That's true whether you're in a region of space that's "highly" populated with random objects or that's pretty much absent of them entirely. In the asteroid belt in our own solar system - for example - each individual floating piece of rock would be billions of miles away from each other. You'd sail through totally unharmed. 

But, you know, Star Wars was super dope and shit and so now we see this scene ad nauseum. 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:29 AM, atomheartbevo said:

That's what you've read in books. But my personal experience is that they bounce off each other and are constantly coming right at you. The better question is why don't they just their blasters to break them into smaller pieces until they're gone?

asteroids-by-atari-classic-video-games-r

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Feel like this is moving a liiiiitle slow. Or maybe I just find some of it less interesting than they want it to be. All of the Chief and now Cortana stuff has legs but the Kwan and covenant chick side plots are pretty meh for me so far. Hopefully they bring it all together well and things pick up some steam here soon.

Spoiler

I feel like the UNSC ship fell for that trap waaaay too easily. I mean obviously it was predictable from a viewer standpoint but their protocol seemed pretty shitty. How often are they coming across abandoned Covenant ships that suddenly appear right in front of them with a single human aboard to where the captain is like "yeah seems legit, send her a pod and bring her aboard!". I'd be like... no fucking way am I buying that crock of shit. This is the same organization that was going to waste a teenage girl to keep her from talking. Was that captain like some high ranking official's dumbass younger brother that they were trying to shove out of the way somewhere? 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I appreciate they are trying to build MC's character up....but at same time I want him to put his gah damn helmet on and go on some missions.  I think someone changed the "difficulty setting" to Easy.  Need to turn this bitch up to Legendary.

Yeah he needs to start kicking some ass here pretty soon. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

It's dragging on, but I'm still fully invested.  MC with his helmet off helps the actor that plays him, and not just a voice actor like you have in the game.  

Well, that and in the game, the helmet stays on because you are the protagonist, whereas here the story is being built around a 3rd-person character.

I like where they are going, and I like that the episodes are long.  I'm not ready to pick up any of the Halo novels, but I'm intrigued.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well, that and in the game, the helmet stays on because you are the protagonist, whereas here the story is being built around a 3rd-person character.

I like where they are going, and I like that the episodes are long.  I'm not ready to pick up any of the Halo novels, but I'm intrigued.

Big fan.  Played the games years back and wife's friend married to one of the guys on the original design team in the early 2000's, so I'd nerd out and pepper him with questions (Flood, etc.)

I can't for the life of me understand why big ticket HALO movies never materialized?  Seems a perfect fit with the sci-fi doors Marvel opened

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It bugs me that the main guy looks like Sark and Ben Roethlisberger had a love child.

I like Pablo in the movies and shows he has been in. Way back to FX show Lights Out about that boxer. 

I didn't realize the other day he is Liev Schrieber's brother.  Big fan of him esp as Ray Donovan. That's a bad ass brother duo. 

43 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

I like Pablo in the movies and shows he has been in. Way back to FX show Lights Out about that boxer. 

I didn't realize the other day he is Liev Schrieber's brother.  Big fan of him esp as Ray Donovan. That's a bad ass brother duo. 

Half bro but yeah

They are definitely doing some really serious world building for future stuff.  Still not tempted to read the novels (read some of the Gears of War stuff, and not getting sucked into another franchise's written fiction), but I like where this is headed, and it's been easy to follow for friends who have never played the games.

I get that a bunch of Halo fans are pissed that it's not full-on MC tearing through Covenant forces, but there's a reason why The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica (2004), etc. are critically acclaimed, and it's not because they were all just fancy space battles.  I'm not saying that this show is at the level of those two shows, but there is also a reason why 343/Microsoft were not able to find partners for a Halo movies or TV series in the past.  Worlds need to be built out, and you need to assume the audience knows very little about the backstory.

This feels like a show that was meant to be dumped all at once or at least should have been rather than the week by week deal as it seems like there are some pacing or momentum issues episode to episode - especially since they are juggling a ton of plot lines. It got better with the 2nd half of ep 4 to where I'll stay tuned but I can understand why folks would lose patience with this. Could just be one of those shows that doesn't really get going until the 2nd or 3rd season. 

Also - couldn't help but think of this Patton Oswalt bit as they were slogging through another episode:

Edited by ztejas

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The nerds are def mad they gave us an immediate action scene in the pilot and that was it. Also Master Chief wears his helmet too much, wah wah 

If they need the constant action and need the helmet on, they should probably just fire up their Xbox.  Speaking of world building, came across this, it’s several months old and Orestes the TV series, but obviously reveals where they appear to be going with the storyline.  

SPOILERS

They are definitely doing some really serious world building for future stuff.  Still not tempted to read the novels (read some of the Gears of War stuff, and not getting sucked into another franchise's written fiction), but I like where this is headed, and it's been easy to follow for friends who have never played the games.
I get that a bunch of Halo fans are pissed that it's not full-on MC tearing through Covenant forces, but there's a reason why The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica (2004), etc. are critically acclaimed, and it's not because they were all just fancy space battles.  I'm not saying that this show is at the level of those two shows, but there is also a reason why 343/Microsoft were not able to find partners for a Halo movies or TV series in the past.  Worlds need to be built out, and you need to assume the audience knows very little about the backstory.

Counterpoint: it could be more John Wick and less BG.
  • Drool 1

Pretty good episode this week unwinding the repurcussions and consequences that have been building up. It's pretty crazy how far they're diverging from the books/original canon though. I kinda get it though, gotta free up some creative breathing room

Really enjoyed the Kwan sections this week, or rather lack thereof lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

That was by far the best episode. And no Kwan/Vinsher side plot. 

i think not coincidence GIF

Hopefully that's more of a rung on a ladder and not a peak. Maybe they can effectively tie everything together but fuck I thought everything flowed soooo much better and the tone was really solid throughout without the jumping around. 

Spoiler

Maake/Charlie Murphy's character has some nice depth and you kind of wonder what side she's going to wind up on but I'm guessing she has some shenanigans up her sleeve. I think everyone, including her, is starting to play off of each other well where I previously felt pretty meh about certain characters. Although I will say the Irish accent is a little weird if not somewhat distracting for who she's supposed to be. I would've had her dump it (I mean she learned a fucking alien language for this I'm sure she could do American or English).

There's some funny logic stuff and not sure I'd qualify it as plot holes but it isn't too distracting so far I guess. I don't mind suspending disbelief as long as I'm enjoying what I'm watching and it isn't too stupid. Like - how is Halsey just immediately back in the know with everything that's going on? They aren't keeping an eye on her at all? 

Also - it doesn't really feel like Keyes is Halsey and the commander dude's daughter. I'm wondering why that was necessary because I have to remind myself.

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I keep watching this show but I don’t really like it. So much over-emoting by everyone.

I think it's pretty-well to well acted overall (Schreiber in particular is impressing me). I mean it's a pretty ambitious sci-fi show based on a video game series. Not sure how steely or subtle you could or would want to make it. That said I've also been medium on it at points but this last one hooked me a bit more. 

Edited by ztejas

17 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, I didn't think it was bad at all. I would have rather not had a whole Kwan episode, but I assume it all ties in.

Yeah I was thinking about this. I really enjoyed the no Kwan episode. Sort of a catch 22 I guess. 

That feeling you get when the previous scenes montage begins and you realize it's gonna be a Kwan episode.

Familiar to watching the first drive against OU far too often. I know I'm gonna still sit through the whole thing, but not with any joy in my heart.

• Haha 3

Overall I'm enjoying it though. Although you really have to adopt a suspension of disbelief because a bunch of shit doesn't make sense if you start thinking about it too much. It's good popcorn TV and I'm fine with that. It's funny going over to Reddit and seeing the book nerds freak out over everything. I mean, isn't the point of this that it's a different branch of canon?

Idk - I have an issue in general with people reviewing stuff by comparing it to other works or what their expectations were whether it's movies or music or TV. It's going to be the same shit with this upcoming LOTR show. Obviously I was a fan of the games going into this and had to adjust some preconceived notions a bit but if you can get past that it's a better viewing experience. The "I don't like this because it isn't the same as something else I liked" is such a lame way to critique anything. Especially when it's a stand-alone and not something like the Star Wars prequels that's continuing the same narrative. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We live in a post-enjoyment age. We have to hate everything and post incessantly awful hot takes about it. 

I think it's sort of that. Like the jaded/cynical outlook and respective treatment of pop culture. But that isn't really anything all that new. 

I'm also trying to highlight this phenomenon of making everything about something else. Like "this show/album/movie needs to align with my politics and previously held opinions" instead of judging artistic expressions based on their individual merit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We live in a post-enjoyment age. We have to hate everything and post incessantly awful hot takes about it. 

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it's sort of that. Like the jaded/cynical outlook and respective treatment of pop culture. But that isn't really anything all that new. 

I'm also trying to highlight this phenomenon of making everything about something else. Like "this show/album/movie needs to align with my politics and previously held opinions" instead of judging artistic expressions based on their individual merit. 

It's funny - we have these massive sci-fi/fantasy franchises that have spawned shit-tons of media - movies, TV Shows, comic books, video games, etc.

Halo, Star War, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, etc.

And when something is released within those franchises, the hardcore nerds lose their shit because some character didn't reference something that happened on page 55 of some book, or some other character had this hairstyle instead of that hairstyle, or this character had one line in a movie about something they did, and it was slightly altered/retconned in another movie.

Meanwhile, Marvel has cranked out 25 movies and half-a-dozen shows, and for the most part, the movies just take bits and pieces of the comics and throw them together in whatever way that Feige and Co. see fit to put together in this tapestry they are weaving, and the outcry is fairly muted compared to the above franchises.

Granted, because they are comic book characters, they've been killed off and brought back half-a-dozen times, with different looks, different names, different genders, different attitudes, etc. since the 1960s, and so hardcore fans are used to these characters being slightly different from something they read 25 years ago.

I'm going to avoid sci-fi social media when Obi-Wan comes out.

• Hook 'Em 1