America's Game: The 122nd Meeting of Army and Navy

Well done Middies.  Still looking forward to seeing the Black Knights in Fort Worth later this month.  

Space Force still winless in the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy.  Fucking embarrassing.  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

If you have a laptop or tablet you can go to https://puffer.stanford.edu/accounts/login/

and make a free login and watch all of the US network feeds. 

but don't tell anyone because it's my secret and they cut it off after a certain # of viewers.

Looks like I'm going to have to get internet fired up at the house again. We've only got access to satellite only, and haven't had it for years. The reason being, Mrs Shooter doesn't use it and I'd gotten to the point where I didn't want to see anything computer wise when I was home off work, thanks for the heads up bro.

40 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I was unable to see the game this year, but I saw the the run by Fagot on that unintended fake. That was awesome to see and his interview after the game was just pure joy from him. I am happy for that young man. What a lifelong memory he will have to tell people. 

And will make him an Admiral. 

• Like 1

I really wanted Army to win, but this is a game where there really are no losers.  There really isn't another sporting event in the US like this and I love it more every year.  Congrats Navy and enjoy it...Army is getting it back next year!

• Hook 'Em 2

• 6 months later...

Army-Navy game to be played in five different cities from 2023-27

One of America's greatest traditions is going on tour.

ZACH BARNETT     JUN 15, 2022

The Army-Navy game is one of America's -- not just college football's -- greatest traditions, and that tradition is going on tour in the coming years.

Army and Navy jointly announced Wednesday the game will be played in five separate cities over the five years from 2023-27. Each of the five biggest markets along the Eastern seaboard (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.) will host America's Game over those seasons.

US Open To Allow Russian and Belarusian Players To CompeteKeep Watching

US Open To Allow Russian and Belarusian Players To Compete00:00/01:30

Dec. 9, 2023: Gillette Stadium - Foxborough, Mass.
Dec. 14, 2024: FedEx Field - Landover, Md.
Dec. 13, 2025: M&T Bank Stadium - Baltimore
Dec. 12, 2026: MetLife Stadium - East Rutherford, N.J.
Dec. 11, 2027: Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia

The 2023 game, the 124th edition of the rivalry, will be the first time America's Game is played in New England -- on the 250th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party and the 225th anniversary of the USS Constitution's maiden voyage.

"Extraordinary efforts put forth throughout the bidding process made evaluations and final city selections highly competitive," said Navy AD Gladchuk. "Proposals brought forward included local, city and state dignitaries to ensure the most comprehensive presentation could be made to the selection committee. The promotional partnership we share with USAA clearly reinforced the enthusiastic interest in hosting the Army-Navy game by many of our nation's greatest cities. Our destinations over the next five years provide the Academies with an opportunity to share the economic impact, history and tradition of Army-Navy with a number of communities in diverse geographic areas. We are certain that each location will present a uniquely accommodating experience for our fans and will make for an incredibly memorable event for our midshipmen and cadets. Our gratitude goes out to all the cities that showed interest and congratulations to the recipients of the games."

"We are excited to announce the next five-year cycle for America's Game," added Army AD Mike Buddie. "The Army-Navy game is a great showcase for both service academies. We are looking forward to the pageantry and tradition to be on display for the fans in these cities while providing an opportunity to support the Cadets and Midshipmen. We had great interest from many regions and thank the cities who participated in the bid selection process. We cannot wait to have this game played at some incredible venues in great cities." 

The first Army-Navy game was played Nov. 29, 1890, in West Point. Philadelphia hosted the first neutral site meeting in 1899 and has been the most common host since, with 89 total games. (This December will make 90.) Greater New York City is a distant second with 16, followed by Baltimore's six. The 2024 game will mark the second game near our nation's capital; Landover's FedEx Field hosted the 2011 game.

The only sites away from the Eastern seaboard to host America's Game are Chicago's Soldier Field (1926) and the Rose Bowl (1983).

Navy won the 2021 game, 17-13, but Army took four of the previous five.

I like the tie in with the Tea Party and the USS Constitution.

Baltimore is my favorite host site for the logistics and everything being reasonable walking distance.

'twill be interesting in Foxborough.

18 hours ago, markstanco said:

I do wish it would move around the country a bit more. Midwest, south, west coast, etc. Not that that would keep people from going, but the bidding of stadiums would way more than pay for travel.

4000 students from each school attend the game.  They typically bus in on the Atlantic seaboard sites.

Not sure that's practical for Denver/ Dallas/ Seattle.  The academies being in virtually full attendance is a huge part of the pageantry of the game.  Even when they play Air Force, the road team never has remotely close to their full student body in attendance.

Edited by slorch

4000 students from each school attend the game.  They typically bus in on the Atlantic seaboard sites.
Not sure that's practical for Denver/ Dallas/ Seattle.  The academies being in virtually full attendance is a huge part of the pageantry of the game.  Even when they play Air Force, the road team never has remotely close to their full student body in attendance.

I completely forgot about that aspect of it. That is a cool sight before the game when they come in.

16 hours ago, slorch said:

The Army / Air Force game this past season was at JerryWorld.  Any idea on what the cadet attendance from each academy was for that?

What, no game at Franklin Field? 

Venue Games Army victories Navy victories Tie games First game Most recent game
John F. Kennedy Stadium 41 16 22 3 1936 1979
Franklin Field 18 11 7 0 1899 1935
Veterans Stadium 17 11 5 1 1980 2001
Lincoln Financial Field 13 2 11 0 2003 2019
Polo Grounds 9 5 3 1 1913 1927
Giants Stadium 4 1 3 0 1989 2002
M&T Bank Stadium 4 1 3 0 2000 2016
The Plain 2 0 2 0 1890 1892
Worden Field 2 1 1 0 1891 1893
Municipal Stadium (Baltimore) 2 2 0 0 1924 1944
Yankee Stadium 2 2 0 0 1930 1931
Michie Stadium 2 1 1 0 1943 2020
Osborne Field 1 0 0 1 1905 1905
Soldier Field 1 0 0 1 1926 1926
Thompson Stadium 1 0 1 0 1942 1942
Rose Bowl 1 0 1 0 1983 1983
FedExField 1 0 1 0 2011 2011
MetLife Stadium 1 0 1 0 2021 2021

23 minutes ago, ScottS said:

The Army / Air Force game this past season was at JerryWorld.  Any idea on what the cadet attendance from each academy was for that?

ahh  I forgot and we actually attended it.   LOL

I don't really know.  Obviously some from both academies made the trip on their own dime. If i had a guess, it would be 10 to 15% from each school at the most.

In the current set-up of Army-Navy, the students bus back to West Point/ Annapolis after the game, so there is no hotel involved either.  Upper class students can opt out of the bus ride, but those arrangements are paid out of their own pocket.

I've never heard from anyone who was a Cadet/ Midshipman for the 1983 game at The Rose Bowl.  Maybe that was a learning experience( disaster) on logistics of moving it away from the Northeast.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

ahh  I forgot and we actually attended it.   LOL

I don't really know.  Obviously some from both academies made the trip on their own dime. If i had a guess, it would be 10 to 15% from each school at the most.

In the current set-up of Army-Navy, the students bus back to West Point/ Annapolis after the game, so there is no hotel involved either.  Upper class students can opt out of the bus ride, but those arrangements are paid out of their own pocket.

I've never heard from anyone who was a Cadet/ Midshipman for the 1983 game at The Rose Bowl.  Maybe that was a learning experience( disaster) on logistics of moving it away from the Northeast.

Perhaps.  Also just could be a financial thing.  Who knows.

Maybe the academies could do something like keep it in Philly and/or New York most years and explore moving it around like every third or fourth year.  Play the game in a different location during leap years or something.  I would think both academies would at least entertain the idea of moving the game around from a recruiting viewpoint, both athletic and general student population.  But, like most things in life, it probably comes down to a question of money.

Put a few feelers out on military boards.  Here's something interesting I found with regard to the 9000 students in 1983:

Both superintendents made note of the hospitality of the people of Pasadena, who housed the cadets and midshipmen in their homes before the game. This helped endear the students and institutions in the hearts of the residents and in the city.

https://www.usna.edu/NewsCenter/2015/12/academy-leadership-remembers-1983-army-navy-game.php