Herschel Walker catch-all thread

Gil Bang

Hershel is having a tough time convincing GOP heavy hitters to come campaign for him. Pompeo drew the short straw but backed out tonight, citing the always predictable family emergency. Hershel will be back in Las Colinas by Thursday evening.

• Haha 1

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/why-geoff-duncan-didnt-cast-a-ballot-in-the-senate-runoff/I5QYKFVZHZDG7OGLZ5GPIHC5QU/

Spoiler

Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan is one of the highest-ranking Republicans in Georgia. He’s also one of the most prominent GOP critics of Herschel Walker’s Senate run – and the pro-Donald Trump forces that helped him win the nomination.

Duncan, whose term expires in January, made waves in October when he condemned Walker as a candidate who “won the primary because he scored a bunch of touchdowns back in the ‘80s and he was Donald Trump’s friend.”

ExploreHerschel Walker's stumbles complicate final runoff stretch

Still, Duncan wouldn’t say whether he would vote for Walker – until this week. He said he waited in line for an hour at a busy polling site in Forsyth County, got to the touchscreen pad and couldn’t back Walker or Democratic U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock.

“It was the most disappointing ballot I’ve ever stared at in my entire life since I started voting,” Duncan told CNN. “I had two candidates who I just couldn’t find anything that it made any sense to put my vote behind. So I walked out of that ballot box, showing up to vote but not voting for either one of them.”

Caption

Credit: Greg Nash/The Hill

In a followup on Thursday, the lieutenant governor told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he intended to cast a ballot because he takes his constitutional obligation to vote seriously before he couldn’t pull the trigger.

“Like many conservatives across Georgia, I’ve been waiting for Herschel Walker to give me a reason to support him. Regrettably, he hasn’t, and that’s why I was forced to leave my ballot blank,” said Duncan.

“Georgia deserve better than Sen. Warnock, whose left-wing voting record is way out of step with their priorities and would never earn my support,” Duncan added. “The Republican Party deserves better than Herschel Walker. To rebuild, we need less team players and more team leaders.”

Walker backers worry Duncan represents the wavering sentiment of a key group of voters who played a decisive role in the November midterm, which ended with every statewide Republican winning except for the former football player.

ExploreWhy Kemp-Warnock voters will be decisive in Georgia's runoff

That’s because some 200,000 votersbacked Gov. Brian Kemp in the November midterm but withheld their support from Walker. Those split decisions were the single biggest reason the Senate race landed in a Tuesday runoff while Republicans notched solid victories in every other statewide race.

Warnock is now making a sustained appeal to those split-ticket voters, along with any “soft” Walker supporters who reluctantly voted for him in November.

Ads and mailers catering to those swing voters are blanketing the state, and the Democrat’s campaign this week organized an event with Dave Matthews that attracted hundreds of middle-aged suburbanites in that target demographic.

Walker’s camp has countered with the best GOP messenger for Kemp-Warnock voters: The governor is featured in glossy flyers and TV ads trying to make the case for the GOP Senate hopeful.

Caption

Credit: arvin.temkar@ajc.com

Walker’s allies dismissed Duncan’s move as an attention-grabbing attempt to stay relevant. Stephen Lawson of the pro-Walker 34N22 PAC said the lieutenant governor simply wanted to “remind everyone just how enormous his ego is.”

“But just like CNN, a Democrat announcing he isn’t voting for Herschel Walker isn’t news.”

Walker campaign manager Scott Paradise also shrugged off Duncan’s defection: “Imagine caring so little about your day job that you can waste an hour in line to accomplish nothing. Georgians will sure miss Geoff.”

(Paradise’s wife is slated to be the top aide for incoming Lt. Gov. Burt Jones, a Republican whom Duncan refused to endorse ahead of the midterm. Lawson is also an adviser to Jones.)

Democrats also harbored suspicions. Democratic state Rep. Josh McLaurin suggested the Republican’s maneuvering is “transparently part of his transition from LG to paid pundit.”

Duncan, who declined to run for a second term earlier this year, hasn’t yet disclosed his plans after he leaves office in January. But he told the AJC he expected a close Senate runoff race.

“Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to conservative Republicans across our state and our country that the quality of our candidates does matter,” he said. “It is no longer good enough to just win the first half and a primary, we need to win the game in a much different general election setting.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-john-kennedy-urges-georgia-201000780.html

Sen. John Kennedy Urges Georgia to Pick Herschel Walker Instead of 'High IQ' People

Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) was a part of Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker’s final campaign push on Sunday afternoon, two days before the runoff vote between him and sitting Georgia Sen. Raphael Warnock (D). While Walker himself had a number of odd things to say over the weekend, it looks like fake folksy Kennedy was intent on adding his voice to the bizarre chorus.

Kennedy, while wearing a sticker reading “RUN HERSCHEL RUN,” railed against “these high IQ stupid people” running around Congress at a campaign stop in Loganville, Georgia, on Sunday afternoon. “These high IQ stupid people have an answer for everything. You know why? Because they think they’re smarter and more virtuous than the American people,” he said.

Did that make no sense to you? Never fear, Kennedy gave rallygoers a list of how to identify this population: “These woke high IQ stupid people are easy to recognize. They hate George Washington. They hate Thomas Jefferson,” he said. “They hate Dr. Suess, and they hate Mr. Potato Head.”

To that end, the spud haters also, apparently, are going about their days carrying plastic bags full of hearty greens. “These high IQ stupid people walk around with ziplock bags of kale that they can eat to give them energy,” said Kennedy, who is notably an Oxford-educated lawyer pretending to be a regular man of the people. “If you want to eat kale, that’s up to you. I don’t eat kale. You know why? Kale tastes to me like I’d rather be fat.”

Kennedy also insisted Walker is both a “gentleman and a gentle man,” which is an offensively stupid thing to say about someone who has been repeatedly accused by former partners of physical abuse.

Former President Barack Obama visited Georgia last week to stump for Sen. Raphael Warnock, comparing Walker to a 7-year-old (one of the nicer options, in my opinion). Kennedy, for his part, was hurt by this: “I understand that President Obama just came to Georgia... He came to make fun of my friend Herschel Walker.”

After Kennedy mentioned Obama, a crowd member clearly shouted, “I still want to see his birth certificate!” But the senator should feel at home among racists: In October, he released a cartoonishy offensive campaign ad telling people who “hate cops” to “call a crackhead” next time they need help. (“Crackhead” is the racist and derogatory phrase popularized during the federal government’s war on drugs to vilify Black people arrested and charged with using crack cocaine.)

And Kennedy’s anti-Obama rhetoric didn’t stop there, instead offering the crowd a demented hypothetical: “President Obama wouldn’t do this, but if he told many members of the media to go join the Taliban, they’d say, Where’s the line?’” (I assure you, as a member of the media, we would not say that.)

Stay strong out there, Georgians. It’s going to be a long final 24 hours of this campaign.

image.jpeg.1025fab2995c532288d89a71aebae7a5.jpeg

• Rage+1 2

34 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Did that make no sense to you? Never fear, Kennedy gave rallygoers a list of how to identify this population: “These woke high IQ stupid people are easy to recognize. They hate George Washington. They hate Thomas Jefferson,” he said. “They hate Dr. Suess, and they hate Mr. Potato Head.”

All of my smart friends hate both George Washington and Mr. Potato Head equally. It's really all we talk about when we get together and eat little bags of kale. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's criticizing the left for being will to join the Taliban -- all conjecture -- and yet a significant portion of the right is openly supporting Russia's war on Ukraine.

And want to create a Christian nation with Taliban-esque rules.  

I don't know why, but the lack of self-awareness still shocks me.  I just don't see how it's humanly possible to be that dense. 

• Rage+1 1

Question isn't if Walker runs for something in Texas, just a matter of who he tries to primary?  There's no way the TCRP is gonna waste this opportunity.  Black Republican in Texas carries a lot of weight.  And although he's mentally ill and incredibly stupid, he got within a margin of error of winning a U.S. Senate seat in a somewhat-noteworthy state.  That's not nuthin'.  

Only thing that may hurt him here is he'd want to run for statewide and that's not happening here for another four years.  His star may lose its luster by then.  I guess he could run/get appointed for a vacant Cruz seat it a GOP wins POTUS and Ted finally gets the call for AG or SCOTUS in 2026 or so.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Question isn't if Walker runs for something in Texas, just a matter of who he tries to primary?  There's no way the TCRP is gonna waste this opportunity.  Black Republican in Texas carries a lot of weight.  And although he's mentally ill and incredibly stupid, he got within a margin of error of winning a U.S. Senate seat in a somewhat-noteworthy state.  That's not nuthin'.  

Only thing that may hurt him here is he'd want to run for statewide and that's not happening here for another four years.  His star may lose its luster by then.  I guess he could run/get appointed for a vacant Cruz seat it a GOP wins POTUS and Ted finally gets the call for AG or SCOTUS in 2026 or so.  

Shudder - Seinfeld GIF - Seinfeld Jerry Seinfeld Shudder ...

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

18 hours ago, yoladu said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-john-kennedy-urges-georgia-201000780.html

Sen. John Kennedy Urges Georgia to Pick Herschel Walker Instead of 'High IQ' People

Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) was a part of Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker’s final campaign push on Sunday afternoon, two days before the runoff vote between him and sitting Georgia Sen. Raphael Warnock (D). While Walker himself had a number of odd things to say over the weekend, it looks like fake folksy Kennedy was intent on adding his voice to the bizarre chorus.

Kennedy, while wearing a sticker reading “RUN HERSCHEL RUN,” railed against “these high IQ stupid people” running around Congress at a campaign stop in Loganville, Georgia, on Sunday afternoon. “These high IQ stupid people have an answer for everything. You know why? Because they think they’re smarter and more virtuous than the American people,” he said.

To that end, the spud haters also, apparently, are going about their days carrying plastic bags full of hearty greens. “These high IQ stupid people walk around with ziplock bags of kale that they can eat to give them energy,” said Kennedy, who is notably an Oxford-educated lawyer pretending to be a regular man of the people. “If you want to eat kale, that’s up to you. I don’t eat kale. You know why? Kale tastes to me like I’d rather be fat.”

Kennedy also insisted Walker is both a “gentleman and a gentle man,” which is an offensively stupid thing to say about someone who has been repeatedly accused by former partners of physical abuse.

Former President Barack Obama visited Georgia last week to stump for Sen. Raphael Warnock, comparing Walker to a 7-year-old (one of the nicer options, in my opinion). Kennedy, for his part, was hurt by this: “I understand that President Obama just came to Georgia... He came to make fun of my friend Herschel Walker.”

After Kennedy mentioned Obama, a crowd member clearly shouted, “I still want to see his birth certificate!” But the senator should feel at home among racists: In October, he released a cartoonishy offensive campaign ad telling people who “hate cops” to “call a crackhead” next time they need help. (“Crackhead” is the racist and derogatory phrase popularized during the federal government’s war on drugs to vilify Black people arrested and charged with using crack cocaine.)

And Kennedy’s anti-Obama rhetoric didn’t stop there, instead offering the crowd a demented hypothetical: “President Obama wouldn’t do this, but if he told many members of the media to go join the Taliban, they’d say, Where’s the line?’” (I assure you, as a member of the media, we would not say that.)

Stay strong out there, Georgians. It’s going to be a long final 24 hours of this campaign.

image.jpeg.1025fab2995c532288d89a71aebae7a5.jpeg

Politicians have always been quick to adopt an accent based on their audience. As the GOP encompasses more and more of lower educated constituency, they will continue to raise less education as a virtue.

and to be clear, Democrats have been happy to play up class warfare as well as they've been happy in the past to demonize the GOP as country club members. I can't recall hearing a Dem put down the GOP as being elitist, high educated types but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened in the past. Especially in smaller groups.

Regardless its an ugly look

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Alan West says hold my beer. 

• Haha 2

He was a shitty candidate though.  So is Walker but for some reason, it makes him more palatable to southern GOP voters.  Allen west’s haircut and 19 lapel pins and erudite eloquence didn’t sit well in Texas.  Herschel’s perpetual dry fit polo and suffering under the white man’s irregular verb conjugation will do just fine in 2026 Texas.  

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't lose sight of the fact that Herschel was one of the all-time great running backs.  Star power is real.

The new GOP recruiting strategy -

Athletes (Walker)
TV "famous" people (Oz, Trump)
News/weather people (Lake, Roncetti)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yup, and probably win in a landslide. 

Honestly, if he primaried Ted Cruz, would it be worth it?

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Don't forget stupid whores. 

Yes, of course Matt Gaetz is included here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Herschel’s perpetual dry fit polo and suffering under the white man’s irregular verb conjugation will do just fine in 2026 Texas.  

He’s going to have to fight Fitlump for it.

3 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Honestly, if he primaried Ted Cruz, would it be worth it?

Highly-educated evil in an empty suit versus an idiot with a head injury.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/1/2022 at 7:23 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Go play some imaginary hoops with him ….

It's funny, Herschel is 6'1" and 60 years old.  Obama is 6'2" and 61 years old.  Obama's mighty fit for his age, but of course never reached the level of athleticism Herschel did.

Now?  It wouldn't surprise me if Obama could hang on the court with Herschel.  I mean, we know Obama can shoot.  Not sure about Herschel.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's funny, Herschel is 6'1" and 60 years old.  Obama is 6'2" and 61 years old.  Obama's mighty fit for his age, but of course never reached the level of athleticism Herschel did.

Now?  It wouldn't surprise me if Obama could hang on the court with Herschel.  I mean, we know Obama can shoot.  Not sure about Herschel.

Yeah, but which personality would be playing for Herschel?

• Haha 2

Say what you want about Herschel, he's energetic as fuck for 60 years old.  The GOP operators I know on his campaign say he's the last to bed, first to rise, and is just go-go-go on the campaign trail.  Granted, it's not that exhausting to function as an older version of Corky from "Life Goes On", but that dude doesn't have a low gear.  And he looks 15 years younger than he is.  

But as my father once explained to me when he was wrinkled, weathered, and completely grey by age 50.  The Navy and loading docks takes a toll on a man's back... but having to think about the well being of your employees for a living...that beats the living shit out of you, and tattoos itself all across your head.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Highly-educated evil in an empty suit versus an idiot with a head injury.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

From a practical standpoint, it's not gonna change a thing as they would vote identically. Plus, observing Cruz struggle with the reality he could lose his senate seat to the dumbest motherfucker in the GQP would be epic. Especially when Trump campaigns for Herschel and makes Rafael work the phones raising money for Herschel. If this state is committed to Idiocracy, might as well get some solid lulz out of the shitshow. 

• Haha 1

• Gil Bang changed the title to Herschel Walker catch-all thread