Herschel Walker catch-all thread

Gil Bang

On 7/30/2022 at 8:27 PM, Beau Vine said:

Walker will claim that Warnock refused to debate him. He'll lie to his listeners and his friendly press will not call him out on it. As for legitimate press, they will never get an answer from Walker for any question.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:27 PM, Beau Vine said:

Walker will claim that Warnock refused to debate him. He'll lie to his listeners and his friendly press will not call him out on it. As for legitimate press, they will never get an answer from Walker for any question.

Professional athlete turned Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker has accepted one invitation to debate Democratic opponent Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-GA)—and it just so happens to be the one debate that provides the topics in advance.

That’s the single appreciable difference between four proposed debates, a subject that, according to the campaigns and event organizers, remains unresolved and confusing, despite the candidates jawing at each other for weeks.

Walker’s campaign has said they chose the forum—hosted by national news conglomerate Nexstar and its Savannah based NBC affiliate, WSAV—because it would have a live audience and the “format and the moderators are fair and would allow each candidate equal opportunity to share their message.”

But it’s apparently rare for debates in Georgia to provide the topics ahead of time. None of the three debates Warnock has previously agreed to are offering the heads-up, according to the organizers’ conversations with The Daily Beast.

Larry Silbermann, general manager of WTOC Savannah, which has already struck an agreement with the Warnock campaign for a debate in mid-October, told The Daily Beast that he’d never fielded such a request.

“In my 30-plus years of doing this, we’ve never given out the topics or have a candidate request it,” Silbermann said.

Representatives from the other two hosts—the Mercer University Center for Collaborative Journalism and the Atlanta Press Club—also characterized the stipulation as unusual, with debate organizer Lauri Strauss saying it was her organization’s “longstanding policy” to afford full independence to its journalist questioners, and not to reveal topics ahead of time.

Nexstar spokesperson Gary Weitman declined to hear The Daily Beast’s questions. He provided a statement acknowledging that Nexstar had pitched both candidates, but “did not publicize any details about this event, as both candidates had not yet agreed to participate.”

“One candidate unilaterally decided to publicly announce that he would participate,” the statement said, adding that Nexstar, the largest local media company in the country, “will make every effort to reach agreement with both candidates regarding their participation.”

While Nexstar may not have released any details, Georgia Public Broadcasting published the terms last week.

“Topics will be provided to the campaigns prior to the broadcast, but specific questions will not,” the term sheet says.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/herschel-walker-will-debate-raphael-warnock-if-he-gets-the-topics-in-advance?ref=home&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

On 8/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Haven't listened to the clip yet. I woke up feeling mentally foggy, and Herschel would probably put me into a full coma.

It's genius, actually.  "I refuse to debate my opponent that has challenged me to a debate because he refuses to debate me."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Professional athlete turned Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker has accepted one invitation to debate Democratic opponent Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-GA)—and it just so happens to be the one debate that provides the topics in advance.

That’s the single appreciable difference between four proposed debates, a subject that, according to the campaigns and event organizers, remains unresolved and confusing, despite the candidates jawing at each other for weeks.

Walker’s campaign has said they chose the forum—hosted by national news conglomerate Nexstar and its Savannah based NBC affiliate, WSAV—because it would have a live audience and the “format and the moderators are fair and would allow each candidate equal opportunity to share their message.”

But it’s apparently rare for debates in Georgia to provide the topics ahead of time. None of the three debates Warnock has previously agreed to are offering the heads-up, according to the organizers’ conversations with The Daily Beast.

Larry Silbermann, general manager of WTOC Savannah, which has already struck an agreement with the Warnock campaign for a debate in mid-October, told The Daily Beast that he’d never fielded such a request.

“In my 30-plus years of doing this, we’ve never given out the topics or have a candidate request it,” Silbermann said.

Representatives from the other two hosts—the Mercer University Center for Collaborative Journalism and the Atlanta Press Club—also characterized the stipulation as unusual, with debate organizer Lauri Strauss saying it was her organization’s “longstanding policy” to afford full independence to its journalist questioners, and not to reveal topics ahead of time.

Nexstar spokesperson Gary Weitman declined to hear The Daily Beast’s questions. He provided a statement acknowledging that Nexstar had pitched both candidates, but “did not publicize any details about this event, as both candidates had not yet agreed to participate.”

“One candidate unilaterally decided to publicly announce that he would participate,” the statement said, adding that Nexstar, the largest local media company in the country, “will make every effort to reach agreement with both candidates regarding their participation.”

While Nexstar may not have released any details, Georgia Public Broadcasting published the terms last week.

“Topics will be provided to the campaigns prior to the broadcast, but specific questions will not,” the term sheet says.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/herschel-walker-will-debate-raphael-warnock-if-he-gets-the-topics-in-advance?ref=home&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Does anyone think it will really make a difference if he knows the topics in advance?  He'll probably start talking to one of his other personalities midway through and wander off stage.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Does anyone think it will really make a difference if he knows the topics in advance?  He'll probably start talking to one of his other personalities midway through and wander off stage.

Watch that 40 second clip about Taiwan/Pelosi again, specifically his eyes. That f'n potato had to read the message because he is too stupid to just convey it off the cuff. He will absolutely  look like the moron that he is in the debate. And he will still get elected, because nobody in the GOP cares how fucking stupid he is. 

On 8/5/2022 at 12:43 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I might have a watch party for that debate. Come up with a drinking game/squares. Might have to let everyone crash, though. We'll be blasted within an hour

No, you’ll be dead in an hour if any drinking game is based on Herschel Walker saying something grotesquely stupid.

• Haha 1

Bold strategy, Cotton

“I am here to defend the right to put a motherfucking gun to a bitch’s face. If you can’t even do that then why have America? Just be China. Think about it. They don’t have freedoms and you can’t even keep bitch in line there. I like walnuts.”
  • Haha 1

It's amazing to me how accurate Elementary School student government is to our actual government.

"If elected, I will put vending machines in the cafeteria."

"Yay, vending machines!!  Vote for Timmy"

Principal: "uh, Timmy, you're in 4th grade and have no power to make that decision."

Timmy:

Someone Beat GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

It's amazing to me how accurate Elementary School student government is to our actual government.
"If elected, I will put vending machines in the cafeteria."
"Yay, vending machines!!  Vote for Timmy"
Principal: "uh, Timmy, you're in 4th grade and have no power to make that decision."
Timmy:
200.gif

7fc97053971656e56496e15a1ff33291.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Hearing Herschel talk makes me uncomfortable like I'm watching a racist Bugs Bunny clip from 1950. I feel like any minute his campaign managers are going to start handing out syrup bottles shaped like Herschel. Somehow he's so dumb it borders on offensive. And just as I'm pondering whether that's a fair judgement, boom, I'm pregnant just for thinking about him. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Hearing Herschel talk makes me uncomfortable like I'm watching a racist Bugs Bunny clip from 1950. I feel like any minute his campaign managers are going to start handing out syrup bottles shaped like Herschel. Somehow he's so dumb it borders on offensive. And just as I'm pondering whether that's a fair judgement, boom, I'm pregnant just for thinking about him. 

my watched-too-many-violent-movies brain immediately goes to watching a guy with major head trauma talking through his last seconds of life. I guess this is actually true in HW's case, it's just a very slow march to the end. it's horrible what the gqp is doing to this guy. then again, they are pure evil, so I guess I should never be shocked. but here we are

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

Don't forget to have all the cartoon characters bob up and down at the same time while they sing about Jawja.

15 hours ago, bluto said:

That's so funny, my first thought was "that's like some kids' show where the adult is talking to the kids trying to lead them to an answer" and one of the first comments is "it's like that old Romper Room kids' show."

• Gil Bang changed the title to Herschel Walker catch-all thread