This is how much we value education and teachers in this country

High Plains Drifter

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

South Dakota ranks six spots ahead of Texas in Pre-K - 12 education.  So we got that going for us.

Yes, but at least our teachers don't have to spend our hard-earned taxpayer dollars on the helmets for the Ice Gladiator Games.  

We will however be making our teachers moonlight at the Southern Border before too long during summers so as to justify their year-around paychecks.  

This is beyond fucking embarrassing.  One of the sponsors could have just had them meet at mid-ice and answered hockey trivia questions or some shit and given them the same amount.  Or have like a "closest to the net" puck slap competition from the blue line.  Something, some idea with a modicum of integrity.  I mean, somebody took the time to plan it out with the helmet and the blanket.  That's just so fucking weird.  I'm not shitting on South Dakota, because I know there's something planned for here in Texas coming soon...and it's gonna be much, much worse. 

13 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Thank you for defending teachers and the optics are bad.

But maybe it's not as evil as Headlined. Ever had an admin kiss a pig, shave their head or other such festivities to recognize some success?

Those are usually fundraisers for PTA or other related organizations. This was for individual teachers to buy school supplies, which reveals yet another disgusting problem with our public education system, that we can't even fund them enough to provide supplies without having underpaid teachers paying out of pocket. I work with an organization and we give teachers at our adopted school gift cards at the beginning of the year for this purpose. Its sad that we have to do it, but we sure as fuck don't make it into some spectator sport for laughs.

Edited by 'stache

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Those are usually fundraisers for PTA or other related organizations. This was for individual teachers to buy school supplies, which reveals yet another disgusting problem with our public education system, that we can't even fund them enough to provide supplies without having underpaid teachers paying out of pocket. I work with an organization and we give teachers at our adopted school gift cards at the beginning of the year for this purpose. Its sad that we have to do it, but we sure as fuck don't make it into some spectator sport for laughs.

Oh we can fund them greatly. But the GQP has convinced a significant portion of people to vote against their own interests and communities. So ya know

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

Thank you for defending teachers and the optics are bad.

But maybe it's not as evil as Headlined. Ever had an admin kiss a pig, shave their head or other such festivities to recognize some success?

Celebrating by shaving your head or kissing a pig is celebrating an accomplishment. This is degrading yourself for what, a few hundred dollars that won't even buy a computer?

Somebody up thread compared the video to Squid Game. Its not Squid Game, but its another step down the road that leads to Squid Game.

• Hook 'Em 1

How do students respect their teachers when they're given that look into--groveling for funds.  Teachers already take a beating these days and now they're community entertainers too--court jesters.  It's shameful.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Dialed into a call early this AM only to have a colleague in Beijing mention this. She told me that she had seen it in one of the most prestigious publications in Europe (der Spiegel), which was running on the news-ticker of our corporate intranet, which happens to be the corporate intranet of one of Germany's oldest publicly traded companies.

So yeah, this has gone global and it is embarassing.

And people wonder why Europe doesn't blindly follow us anymore.

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/bildung/sioux-falls-lehrer-kriechen-fuer-5000-dollar-ueber-den-boden-kritik-an-gewinnspiel-a-d9c26dd9-84ab-489e-b77e-300e440ee3cc

Lehrer kämpfen auf Knien um 1-Dollar-Scheine - für ihre Schüler (Teachers fight for dollar bills on their knees...for their students)

This brings to mind Asimov's famous quote:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2