The Great (Hulu)

MillerEP

Great pilot. I do think the concept lost a bit of its shine as the season progressed. (Maybe wouldve been better served as a Taika Waititi-esque movie than a series). 

Elle Fanning is really …tall?  And cute. And her servant Marial seems fun. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm curious if there's any anti-Russian sentiment in the US that will affect how it's received this season?

Anyway, doesn't bother me, I'm still in.

Huzzah!

I’m gonna say zilch. Something tells me the target audience of this show can differentiate between historial fiction and current events. 

19 minutes ago, YChang said:

I’m gonna say zilch. Something tells me the target audience of this show can differentiate between historial fiction and current events. 

Maybe.  But on the other hand, people are really, really dumb.

• Haha 1

The Romans, British, Vikings, French, ourselves - All empires/nations/people that have done some fucked up shit at some points in their histories yet have other times that are romanticized and make great historical stories. No reason you can’t do the same with Russian history. And this show isn’t even romanticizing it. 

Yeah, my last name is Danish, and I sometimes make jokes about how my ancestors raped and pillaged other folks ancestors, but the reality is that most of my ancestors are scots-irish with a smattering of just about every country in western Europe because most of my family has been here since before the revolution and it is just happenstance that my last name came from a late comer who got here in the 1820's. But those are jokes in poor taste (but still definitely grounded in history) and the reality is that most of the world has grown beyond that instead of embracing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Great series, just finished the final season. Some very unexpected stuff at the end, I didn't know it was the final season, but figured it out.

Question, what's the story with Orlo? He was killed in a weird way and mentioned like once more then completely forgotten. Did the actor have another gig? 

I don't really consider that a spoiler since its the first episode.