Everything Everywhere All At Once

MoJames

• 3 months later...

My son (13) and I saw this today. Overall, I really liked it. It's very Christopher Nolan in complexity, so I won't claim that I followed everything, but the acting was fantastic. Michelle Yeoh will at least get nominated for best actress, if not win, and where has Data from The Goonies been all these years? He did an amazing job. I've also been wracking my brain for where I've seen Stephanie Hsu before, but despite scouring IMDB I don't recognize anything she's been in. Anyway, I still highly recommend, even if you can't follow everything. It's still a lovely story about family, if nothing else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 10:20 PM, Disco Strangler said:

Phenomenal, completely unique and hilarious movie.  Can’t be described, but must be seen. I want to see a documentary movie about what the studio pitch meeting was like.  Bravest studio head in the industry to green light this film, but he/she was right to do so.  

Loved it. 5/5 stars. A lot of philosophy and emotion wrapped in a completely crazy/silly movie. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

I saw this tonight and was blown away. I’m trying to explain it to my wife and all I can say is - It’s about family, kung fu, laundry, taxes and buttplugs.

45 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Taxes, huh?  Sounds intriguing. 

[sarcasm]that's what you got from that post?[/sarcasm]

Edited by crash_davis

I enjoyed it a lot.

This movie is the kind of movie where I want to recommend to people, but not sure if they will enjoy it. Hard for me to figure out who will enjoy it or not. It's an unusual movie, accurately described by previous posters. 

I typically enjoy off the wall cinema, and this movie definitely qualifies. There were some really cool parts to it, but overall it felt like it rambled and went in circles. It was like my wife telling a story - OK I get it, move on to the next part. After awhile, I just got bored with it, which is weird because I can appreciate the off the wall creative trippy funny shit but if it had more focus I think it would have been one of my favorite films ever. Instead it was a sensory overload of bloated story telling and over indulgence, a convoluted mix of slapstick, acid trip, and I dunno what, the Matrix? I also spent half the film saying to myself, "Wait a minute. Is that Jamie Lee Curtis and if so, is she going to show her tits like in Trading Places 30 years ago and what do they look like now?" 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2022 at 6:25 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I typically enjoy off the wall cinema, and this movie definitely qualifies. There were some really cool parts to it, but overall it felt like it rambled and went in circles. It was like my wife telling a story - OK I get it, move on to the next part. After awhile, I just got bored with it, which is weird because I can appreciate the off the wall creative trippy funny shit but if it had more focus I think it would have been one of my favorite films ever. Instead it was a sensory overload of bloated story telling and over indulgence, a convoluted mix of slapstick, acid trip, and I dunno what, the Matrix? I also spent half the film saying to myself, "Wait a minute. Is that Jamie Lee Curtis and if so, is she going to show her tits like in Trading Places 30 years ago and what do they look like now?" 

Ha, should go in the wives thread, but my wife is notorious for starting a story, then branching off the story to describe some part of it, then branching off of that, and then again, that within minutes we are nowhere near the original story and no way to get back.  Sometimes I just sit and laugh inside.  sometimes, on the rare occasions that I care about what she’s saying, I try to redirect her back to the original train track.

BTW, am I the only one who is convinced that @Mitch Cumsteen looks exactly like his avatar, rainbow wig and all?

Edited by Sbbruin

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 11:02 PM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

First time we've ever walked out of a movie theater without finishing a film. Needless to say, I've lost movie selection privileges for a while.  

Caught it this evening and one couple walked out about halfway through. I was entertained but unsure I would recommend to others.

wouldn’t shock me if Quan gets some momentum as best supporting actor at the next Oscars.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Finally got to the theater to see this on Friday.  What a stupid and silly movie.  The sci-fi of it made no sense, the acting was over the top (especially JLC) and they shoehorned an emotional ending after two hours of absurdity.

I loved every minute of it.

It all worked for me and I was in tears by the end.  What a fucking movie.  Michelle Yeoh is a legend and Stephanie Hsu will be around for awhile.  The rocks, raccoontouille and hot dog fingers were all so awesome.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

by far the worst movie I have seen in my entire life.  I would have walked out after 30 minutes tops, but it was my wife's choice.  it was so bad, I had to leave the theater three  different times to go sit in the lobby and play WWF on my phone to pass the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 9:02 PM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

First time we've ever walked out of a movie theater without finishing a film. Needless to say, I've lost movie selection privileges for a while.  

On 6/24/2022 at 12:55 PM, Jack Straw said:

by far the worst movie I have seen in my entire life.  I would have walked out after 30 minutes tops, but it was my wife's choice.  it was so bad, I had to leave the theater three  different times to go sit in the lobby and play WWF on my phone to pass the time.

You two are bad and you should feel bad. You want a BAD movie? Go watch "Solar Crisis."

This movie was amazing.

Quan and Yeoh acted the heck out of their roles. Best acting job I've ever seen from Yeoh. She somehow holds all the craziness together, while adding comedic brilliance. (Funniest line: "See? Not dead.") Quan was incredible in support, too, switching personalities mid-sentence sometimes.

...and then there's Jamie Lee Curtis.

And the raccoon...

• Hook 'Em 4

Most of the things I'd like to say about this movie have been already said better elsewhere, except for this:

Some of my biggest laughs in this movie were because of very silly things 

Spoiler

like the butt plug trophies... which then get used in a fight later on

...and other things, that were funny because they were so true...

Spoiler

like "See? Not dead." which got one of my biggest laughs.

Being married to an Asian Mom, Yeoh delivered that line flawlessly. With the perfect mix of parental bossiness.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not surprised that people, in this very thread, have walked out of this movie.... but not everyone likes to feel uncomfortable for a bit before figuring out what's going on.

Went to see it a 2nd time before it leaves theaters, and it definitely still felt like it will be right up there during Oscar season, and every bit deserved. As far as best movies of the year goes, not sure how I'd vote if I had to between this and Top Gun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

This movie is outstanding.

I wonder to what extent having experimented with hallucinogens has an impact on one's appreciation of it. Not because of the absurdity and "random goofball non-linear nonsense" element of the story, but because of the larger message of it all. The themes of interconnectedness, consequentiality of choices and the potential for infinite theoretical multiverses, the utter pointlessness/irrelevance of even our most pressing concerns, the soothing sublimity of the mundane and unremarkable (the line about "I'd love nothing more than to spend my life doing laundry and taxes with you" is pretty fucking profound, and is something that echoes the perspectives both of my parents each ultimately came to embrace when dying of cancer...), and the entire point of having free will being the choice to love and be kind, etc. - all different "lessons" and themes I've taken away from my more introspective trips over the years. 

I'm too old with too many responsibilities and whatnot to really want to trip again except perhaps in the absolutely perfect circumstances, but this movie made me miss the experience. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This movie is outstanding.

I wonder to what extent having experimented with hallucinogens has an impact on one's appreciation of it. Not because of the absurdity and "random goofball non-linear nonsense" element of the story, but because of the larger message of it all. The themes of interconnectedness, consequentiality of choices and the potential for infinite theoretical multiverses, the utter pointlessness/irrelevance of even our most pressing concerns, the soothing sublimity of the mundane and unremarkable (the line about "I'd love nothing more than to spend my life doing laundry and taxes with you" is pretty fucking profound, and is something that echoes the perspectives both of my parents each ultimately came to embrace when dying of cancer...), and the entire point of having free will being the choice to love and be kind, etc. - all different "lessons" and themes I've taken away from my more introspective trips over the years. 

I'm too old with too many responsibilities and whatnot to really want to trip again except perhaps in the absolutely perfect circumstances, but this movie made me miss the experience. 

This plus Naked Lunch to compliment the trip.   Just rub a little bug powder on my lips. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

This plus Naked Lunch to compliment the trip.   Just rub a little bug powder on my lips. 

Yep - Naked Lunch, Donnie Darko, Cloud Atlas, Buckaroo Banzai, the final scene of Men in Black, a dash of Infinite Jest, Crouching Tiger (obviously), and a few other things all came to mind throughout. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 12:38 PM, MoJames said:

Watched it on a flight and was trying not to tear up at the end. Great show.

Ha! That’s me right now. 

Absolutely fucking awesome film. It’s instantly one of my favorite movies of all time. 

And fuck all these boring-ass no-ideas writers who keep feeding us the same crap, including terrible women characters. The women in this flick ROCKED. Michelle Yeoh is a fucking legend. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Lol at trying to encourage people to watch this movie. “I just saw the greatest film! It’s like -a heartfelt Matrix plus kung fu movie and this chick whips ass with a pair of dildos and there’s hot dog fingers and a butt plug fight and where are you going come back!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3