Everything Everywhere All At Once

MoJames

The funniest part was Michelle Yeoh using her pinkies to defeat the bad guys.

It pays homage to old Chinese martial arts movies where the protagonist or villain have some special kung fu they’ve been practicing since childhood.

The mixture of Chinese and English is also spot on. But I was distracted by them switching to Cantonese during the scene outside the theater with CEO Waymond. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tried watching it again last night and had to turn it off for the second time. This movie may take 3 sittings to get through. Lots of (boring) fights, universe jumping, and little coherence so far. I don't get the hype but it might come together at the end.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to get through this on a 2nd ocassion just now and turned it off halfway through. I have no idea what is going on or what the film is attempting to convey. It's difficult to follow and not particularly entertaining and on top of that incredibly derivative.

I did enjoy the acting and wouldn't complain if one of the leads won an Oscar but my God shitty filmmaking is being increasingly lauded and rewarded to a bizarre degree these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2022 at 11:44 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

For me, not having thought about data/shortround for 30 years and then immediately recognize him by his face and voice as a middle aged man was pretty funny. 

Just reading through this thread now...I watched this in my living room with a group of family and friends, and scared the shit out of everyone like 15 minutes into the movie by suddenly standing up and yelling "THAT'S THE FUCKING KID FROM THE GOONIES WHAT THE FUCK WHERE HAS HE BEEN?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I tried to get through this on a 2nd ocassion just now and turned it off halfway through. I have no idea what is going on or what the film is attempting to convey. It's difficult to follow and not particularly entertaining and on top of that incredibly derivative.

I did enjoy the acting and wouldn't complain if one of the leads won an Oscar but my God shitty filmmaking is being increasingly lauded and rewarded to a bizarre degree these days. 

Not gonna lie, you're allowed to enjoy what you enjoy and such but this is such a weird take from someone who hasn't even watched the whole damn movie. It's like complaining you're hungry after you only eat half your dinner. What the film is attempting to convey is very apparent by the end of the film.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Just reading through this thread now...I watched this in my living room with a group of family and friends, and scared the shit out of everyone like 15 minutes into the movie by suddenly standing up and yelling "THAT'S THE FUCKING KID FROM THE GOONIES WHAT THE FUCK WHERE HAS HE BEEN?"

pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Not gonna lie, you're allowed to enjoy what you enjoy and such but this is such a weird take from someone who hasn't even watched the whole damn movie. It's like complaining you're hungry after you only eat half your dinner. What the film is attempting to convey is very apparent by the end of the film.

I'm assuming that the 2nd half of the movie fairly closely resembles the first half. I'm not looking for the cure for cancer I'm looking to enjoy and be engaged by what I'm watching and to appreciate it on multiple levels.

It wasn't my cup of tea and still won't be if you put a gun to my head and make me sit through it 5 times. I'm being perhaps overly cynical by calling it shitty filmmaking - that is of course a subjective standard. It just felt like an amalgamation of a lot of aspects of filmmaking that I'm not a fan of. To others it may press all of their favorite buttons.

Not saying I'm right or wrong - just sharing my opinion. 

I mean - like I said in part - I recognize that the acting and dialouge was very well done from what I saw. I'm not retarded - that just wasn't enough to keep me sold. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Also, how anyone can call this movie “derivative” is beyond comprehension.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

A lot of yall need to watch more movies get off your damn phones when watching movies. 

FIFY

My brothers both didn't make it through the movie and hated it but they are the type that will start looking at their phones if there are no guns blazing or explosions going on.  They don't like to think too much when watching shows or movies...

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This movie isn’t really my cup of tea, but deriding it for being “derivative” is about the silliest thing I’ve read in the last two pages. 

derivative is a criticism levied by non-serious people at things they don't understand.

unless it's the foo fighters, who are absolutely derivative. fight me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

It also felt like a really long, amazing live action Rick and Morty (RIP) episode, so yeah completely derivative. 

Funny you should say that. I was reading an interview with the directors, and they said as they were writing the script the second season of Rick and Morty came out and used all the ideas they thought were original. 

I mean, I can sorta maybe kinda see the fight scenes maybe kinda sorta being like Scott Pilgrim's. If you're not paying attention.

"Derivative" is an odd word to use for a movie that's clearly using pop culture references as a shorthand to convey meaning rapidly. For example, the scenes with her as a childless movie star hit because she is a childless movie star. "Racacoonie" works because at first you think she's mispronouncing the name, and then you discover she isn't; that's the joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

If you didn’t finish this movie, you missed out on one of the most satisfying endings in years.

This right here. I was hella confused through the first 3/4 of the movie. Almost turned it off but decided to finish. Glad I did because it all started to make sense the more you get into it 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, speed817 said:

This right here. I was hella confused through the first 3/4 of the movie. Almost turned it off but decided to finish. Glad I did because it all started to make sense the more you get into it 

It's like a Tarantino movie with weird timelines and crazy fight scenes, but the ending tied it all together.

Now I want to buy googly eyes and stick them everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I can totally get people not liking this movie. Some people don't want movies to provoke them or to do anything weird. But I'm at the point where I'm bored with everything normal. I need something a bit weird.

It's one of those movies where you don't judge it for what you think it should be; you let it be what it is, trust it to see where it takes you, no matter how much the love scene between Jamie Lee Curtis and Michelle Yeoh makes you cringe. And yes, those are words I never thought I'd type. But their amazing acting takes what should be a middle-aged man's wet dream and makes it legitimately weird, disgusting and hilarious. I will never look at hot dogs the same again.

Can't look at awards given for high performance at the office the same again, neither. But then, as soon as I saw those awards, that's Chekov's Motherfucking Gun locked and loaded right there, you know? I knew that there was only one place for those awards to go. And there they went, in the most hilarious way possible. Look, I came for Michelle Yeoh, whom I've had the hots for since the 1990s, and stayed for ... holy shit, a Michelle Yeoh movie where Michelle Yeoh actually gets to use her acting chops. Fuck yeah. And you got motherfuckin' Lo Pan and Short Round arguing with Jamie Lee Curtis over taxes, until they start trying to kill each other by gaining powers by sticking shit up their asses.

I mean God, how can you not love that? But maybe that's not your speed. But it's definitely my speed. I, for one, long for more movies where Michelle Yeoh has to stick something up her ass to save the universe. But I didn't know how much I needed that until I saw it.

Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

And I had a bulk bag of googily eyes that I would randomly stick on things years before this movie came out bitches

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I watched this on a long flight and thought it was very, very ambitious. Kind of shocked someone greenlit the financing of it. Must have cost a fortune.

If I weren’t stuck in a seat for 10 hours I can see how someone can bail halfway through. It’s  … odd. But I’m glad I did get to the end. It’s powerful in a completely unique way. The halfway setup was easily worth the last half pay off.

Fucking hell getting teary about rocks? Yeah that happened.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

I watched this on a long flight and thought it was very, very ambitious. Kind of shocked someone greenlit the financing of it. Must have cost a fortune.

If I weren’t stuck in a seat for 10 hours I can see how someone can bail halfway through. It’s  … odd. But I’m glad I did get to the end. It’s powerful in a completely unique way. The halfway setup was easily worth the last half pay off.

Fucking hell getting teary about rocks? Yeah that happened.

Somehow the budget for this movie was only $25 million....

admired the ambition, the creativity, the poignant moment with the two rocks, but this movie exhausted me.

I will need to re-watch it because I totally don't remembering be blown away by the ending. I think by the time I got to it I had been beaten over the head senseless.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just watched it for the second time, this time with the wife.
I understand that there are weird things that some people “don’t get” (I’m usually in the “I don’t get it” crowd - I’m looking at you, Radiohead fans). And this is unquestionably a weird-ass movie. Also, it’s one of the most amazing, profound, stunningly beautiful movies I’ve ever seen. If you don’t get it, that’s ok, sorry for wasting your time. But if you get it, it’s fucking incredible.
There’s so much to unpack on the nature of being, constants, possibilities, the truly transcendent (in the biggest meaning of that word) nature of love and human connection, the dueling and universal truths that both nothing matters and everything matters….and after it was over, and I was talking about my takeaways from it with my wife, I just broke down (it’s been a week around here). It cuts to my core.
I don’t think it’s a “stopdown, watch it whenever it’s on” for me type movie, but it may well be one of my favorite movies. And I do wish that everyone could “get it,” because I think it’s that damn good.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:40 PM, yoladu said:

admired the ambition, the creativity, the poignant moment with the two rocks, but this movie exhausted me.

I will need to re-watch it because I totally don't remembering be blown away by the ending. I think by the time I got to it I had been beaten over the head senseless.

I enjoyed it as a truly unique and creative movie. It got quite dusty in my house during the Rocks scene as well as the entire parental relationship aspect as as an empath who was raised by a emotionally distant parent.  I also thought is was excellent to shoot Michelle Yeoh in a different beauty configurations so we could see how what is an objectively beautiful famous human can look different depending on stagecraft/framing/lighting/outfit/make up, etc. 

I also found myself being more than a bit annoyed with several stretches in the movie.  In particular, the hot dog fingers began to wear on me as the movie went on, despite the plot twist at the end that showed it's relevance.  I thought the Jamie Lee Curtis/Michelle Yeoh romantic story line  was just bloat:  it was an easy editorial cut that could have shaved 15 minutes off the movie with virtual no impact. The initial hotdog scene was more than enough. From a multiverse perspective: it was better than Dr. Strange, but the animated Spider Man movie is still just in another league. 

I applaud the filmmakers for making a truly innovative movie.   But it wasn't nearly the home run I expected and doesn't come close to the overall brilliance of Tar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:24 PM, C-Man said:

Is it possible really, really not like the Foo Fighters but really, really like Dave Grohl? Asking for me.

Yes.  The Foo Fighters are basic butrock. "Welcome back folks.  That was Dave, Taylor and the boys bringing us out of that 45 minute rock block.  It's now 9 pm and courtesy of our friends at Patterson Chevrolet, it's time to GET THE LED OUT! KBSurl, NOTHING BUT ROOOOOOOOCK......"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Yes.  The Foo Fighters are basic butrock. "Welcome back folks.  That was Dave, Taylor and the boys bringing us out of that 45 minute rock block.  It's now 9 pm and courtesy of our friends at Patterson Chevrolet, it's time to GET THE LED OUT! KBSurl, NOTHING BUT ROOOOOOOOCK......"

Written like a dude who doesn't enjoy the pleasures of cruising around to the sound of some sweet-ass tunes in your buddy's El Camino.  I don't think I wanna know you, man.

• Drool 1

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Written like a dude who doesn't enjoy the pleasures of cruising around to the sound of some sweet-ass tunes in your buddy's El Camino.  I don't think I wanna know you, man.

I worked in a shitty kitchen once where butrock was the only thing everyone could agree on.  I listened to a lot of KLBJ that summer.  If I never hear "More than a Feeling" again, it'll still be too soon. 

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I worked in a shitty kitchen once where butrock was the only thing everyone could agree on.  I listened to a lot of KLBJ that summer.  If I never hear "More than a Feeling" again, it'll still be too soon. 

And that's how you end up on Brisket's "ignore," list, people.  Man.  I bet you don't even dig Head East.

Ok, after turning it off half way through the first time, I put it back on and finished it, mainly because it gnawed at me and the comments in this thread. 

I’m glad I finished it, but it just wasn’t good. I hate formulaic movies so I was appreciative at how different this movie was from the typical Hollywood drivel.

But with that said, it was still just too much of a confusing mess. To quote the great Homer Simpson, “this movie insists upon itself”.  However, I could see how some people might like it. It’s different and there is a fairly simple message at the end to tamp down the confusion and repetition. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

well! b/t weird and disgusting lesbian sex, maybe involving hot dog fingers?, people shoving things up their asses, googly-eyed rocks making people cry and Brisket having an existential breakdown... y'all have certainly made this movie appealing! 

excited-cant-wait.gif

I mean, the existential breakdown thing is an ongoing process.  The movie just helped with some of the punctuation.

And yes, I certainly get that some of the messaging is far less than subtle, but the backdrop of all manner of alternate universes and timelines, including the mundane and likely (nothingness -- no life at all) to the absurd (hot dog fingers), creatively emphasizes the play between probability/possibility/near impossibility that brings home the beauty of destiny, choice, and universal constants.

I mean, the movie is probably even WAY better if I was high as fuck when I watched it, but even then, it reminded me of when my wife and I walked out of an IMAX feature on the Hubble telescope, featuring star nurseries and the clear image of dozens upon dozens of galaxies.  My wife being a theologian, mind you, at first walked out of that just stuck on the overwhelming idea that we are FUCKING NOTHING.  But as we pondered and talked some more (on the deck in SOCAL, with waves crashing and drinks flowing), we got to a point of acceptance and understanding.  We are -- at the same time and in the same place -- both insignificant specks of stardust, among infinite other specks, AND we are the most significant specks of stardust in existence, in that universe and in that particular place and moment in time.  Nothing matters, while everything matters.

There's a lot wrapped up in that about failure, and forgiveness, and intention.  I dunno, I just found the movie to be a beautiful and creative musing on all that.

Also, while the whole cast was incredible, for me, Stephanie Hsu was jaw-droppingly good.  What a fun and varied role, and she dug into it with gusto.  She played both the most arrogant creature in all the universes and one of the most vulnerable in the same movie, and pulled it off.  She was awesome.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, the existential breakdown thing is an ongoing process.  The movie just helped with some of the punctuation.

And yes, I certainly get that some of the messaging is far less than subtle, but the backdrop of all manner of alternate universes and timelines, including the mundane and likely (nothingness -- no life at all) to the absurd (hot dog fingers), creatively emphasizes the play between probability/possibility/near impossibility that brings home the beauty of destiny, choice, and universal constants.

I mean, the movie is probably even WAY better if I was high as fuck when I watched it, but even then, it reminded me of when my wife and I walked out of an IMAX feature on the Hubble telescope, featuring star nurseries and the clear image of dozens upon dozens of galaxies.  My wife being a theologian, mind you, at first walked out of that just stuck on the overwhelming idea that we are FUCKING NOTHING.  But as we pondered and talked some more (on the deck in SOCAL, with waves crashing and drinks flowing), we got to a point of acceptance and understanding.  We are -- at the same time and in the same place -- both insignificant specks of stardust, among infinite other specks, AND we are the most significant specks of stardust in existence, in that universe and in that particular place and moment in time.  Nothing matters, while everything matters.

There's a lot wrapped up in that about failure, and forgiveness, and intention.  I dunno, I just found the movie to be a beautiful and creative musing on all that.

Also, while the whole cast was incredible, for me, Stephanie Hsu was jaw-droppingly good.  What a fun and varied role, and she dug into it with gusto.  She played both the most arrogant creature in all the universes and one of the most vulnerable in the same movie, and pulled it off.  She was awesome.

sir, this is a Wendy's.

• Haha 1