Everything Everywhere All At Once

MoJames

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, the existential breakdown thing is an ongoing process.  The movie just helped with some of the punctuation.

And yes, I certainly get that some of the messaging is far less than subtle, but the backdrop of all manner of alternate universes and timelines, including the mundane and likely (nothingness -- no life at all) to the absurd (hot dog fingers), creatively emphasizes the play between probability/possibility/near impossibility that brings home the beauty of destiny, choice, and universal constants.

I mean, the movie is probably even WAY better if I was high as fuck when I watched it, but even then, it reminded me of when my wife and I walked out of an IMAX feature on the Hubble telescope, featuring star nurseries and the clear image of dozens upon dozens of galaxies.  My wife being a theologian, mind you, at first walked out of that just stuck on the overwhelming idea that we are FUCKING NOTHING.  But as we pondered and talked some more (on the deck in SOCAL, with waves crashing and drinks flowing), we got to a point of acceptance and understanding.  We are -- at the same time and in the same place -- both insignificant specks of stardust, among infinite other specks, AND we are the most significant specks of stardust in existence, in that universe and in that particular place and moment in time.  Nothing matters, while everything matters.

There's a lot wrapped up in that about failure, and forgiveness, and intention.  I dunno, I just found the movie to be a beautiful and creative musing on all that.

Also, while the whole cast was incredible, for me, Stephanie Hsu was jaw-droppingly good.  What a fun and varied role, and she dug into it with gusto.  She played both the most arrogant creature in all the universes and one of the most vulnerable in the same movie, and pulled it off.  She was awesome.

If nothing matters, then we're insignificant pieces of shit (The Everything Bagel).  But also, if nothing matters, then why shouldn't we enjoy our life to the fullest, despite all the bad stuff? (The Googly Eyes).

And despite the unlived lives we all have and our successes and failures, what truly matters in an ever expanding multiverse are the people in your life and accepting them as they are, faults and all.

• Hook 'Em 3

Interesting use of the High Everett wave function of quantum mechanics version of a "many worlds" multiverse where there is no collapse of the wave function but instead a split at every point of superposition. The scifi notion of being able to communicate and even transfer personal qualities between them has that Inception feel but I like that it's a mostly original take on the idea. They really went all out with the visuals and probably swapped between realities too rapidly too often and that, along with many people not having a basic understanding of Everett's solution to the wave function problem, is why I'm guessing so many people found it tiring and confusing. 

Very well made though. 

19 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Interesting use of the High Everett wave function of quantum mechanics version of a "many worlds" multiverse where there is no collapse of the wave function but instead a split at every point of superposition. The scifi notion of being able to communicate and even transfer personal qualities between them has that Inception feel but I like that it's a mostly original take on the idea. They really went all out with the visuals and probably swapped between realities too rapidly too often and that, along with many people not having a basic understanding of Everett's solution to the wave function problem, is why I'm guessing so many people found it tiring and confusing. 

Very well made though. 

Nerd

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I wanted to watch this but I don’t have Paramount+ or Showtime, so the only other option is to buy it for $20. Not sure it’s worth it, having read multiple posters in this thread say they hated it or didn’t end up finishing it. It’s annoying to not be able to pay $6 to rent it.

You can subscribe to one month of Paramount+ for $4.99. So sub up, watch movie, cancel sub. Then you got 30 days to watch... I dunno, Deep Space 9 or some shit.

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I wanted to watch this but I don’t have Paramount+ or Showtime, so the only other option is to buy it for $20. Not sure it’s worth it, having read multiple posters in this thread say they hated it or didn’t end up finishing it. It’s annoying to not be able to pay $6 to rent it.

Pay me $2 and I'll give you access to my Plex Server for a month 😆

On 1/29/2023 at 11:24 PM, Brisketexan said:

Just watched it for the second time, this time with the wife.
I understand that there are weird things that some people “don’t get” (I’m usually in the “I don’t get it” crowd - I’m looking at you, Radiohead fans). And this is unquestionably a weird-ass movie. Also, it’s one of the most amazing, profound, stunningly beautiful movies I’ve ever seen. If you don’t get it, that’s ok, sorry for wasting your time. But if you get it, it’s fucking incredible.
There’s so much to unpack on the nature of being, constants, possibilities, the truly transcendent (in the biggest meaning of that word) nature of love and human connection, the dueling and universal truths that both nothing matters and everything matters….and after it was over, and I was talking about my takeaways from it with my wife, I just broke down (it’s been a week around here). It cuts to my core.
I don’t think it’s a “stopdown, watch it whenever it’s on” for me type movie, but it may well be one of my favorite movies. And I do wish that everyone could “get it,” because I think it’s that damn good.

Yeah right, you just like the butt plug fight scene.

Edited by Buzzrock

• 1 month later...

I watched it on a long flight and I will admit getting frustrated at about the halfway point. Dude next to me tapped out about that time, but I kept going.

I’m SO glad I did. Tears were flowing. Family dynamics with mothers and daughters are intense. This was so much more than just that, plus the incredible acting, but that was stunning. The rocks. Wow. What a film.

I doubt my Mom would make it through. She still can’t watch Ladybird because it hits too close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, MoJames said:

List of odd and quirky films you enjoy from the past decade?

Last decade?  Hell, I’m 60 and a decade is a blip.  Some of the nutty or quirky films I’ve enjoyed are Nine Days, Napoleon Dynamite, Another Earth, Lost in Translation, Pulp Fiction, Edward Scissorhands, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Local Hero, Walter Mitty, Big Fish, and going way back, Trouble With Harry.  I’m sure there many more I’m just not recalling.  EEAAO was on again last night and I watched it from the beginning.  I made it about 30 minutes and turned it off.  Just not my thing.  

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Last decade?  Hell, I’m 60 and a decade is a blip.  Some of the nutty or quirky films I’ve enjoyed are Nine Days, Napoleon Dynamite, Another Earth, Lost in Translation, Pulp Fiction, Edward Scissorhands, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Local Hero, Walter Mitty, Big Fish, and going way back, Trouble With Harry.  I’m sure there many more I’m just not recalling.  EEAAO was on again last night and I watched it from the beginning.  I made it about 30 minutes and turned it off.  Just not my thing.  

Lost in Translation was a "nutty or quirky film?"

11 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Should I watch this high?  Feels like I should watch this high.

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Only the second time. I feel like you gotta be present for it the first time through.

This is maybe where I went wrong.

Was High af the first time.  Fell asleep 2x and had no idea wtf was going on.  Think I need to watch it while not high

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Lost in Translation was a "nutty or quirky film?"

That's really the question.  What qualifies as an "odd" or "quirky" film?  

Does The Lobster count?  I loved that one.  How about Spontaneous?  Palm Springs?

Hey @MoJames why don't you list a few films that meet your definition of odd and quirky.  I'm certainly happy to play this game.  Might even find some movies I haven't seen yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Hey @MoJames why don't you list a few films that meet your definition of odd and quirky.  I'm certainly happy to play this game.  Might even find some movies I haven't seen yet.

The Lobster, Pig, Her, Birdman off the top of my head. If you go further back Donnie Darko, Kung Fu Hustle, Old Boy (original), Pan's Labyrinth, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Brotherhood of the Wolf.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

The Lobster, Pig, Her, Birdman off the top of my head. If you go further back Donnie Darko, Kung Fu Hustle, Old Boy (original), Pan's Labyrinth, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Brotherhood of the Wolf.

I actually liked all of those, but I didn't really connect with EEAAO.  I thought it was 3rd or 4th best of the Nominees.

22 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Should I watch this high?  Feels like I should watch this high.

I watched it high and couldn’t follow any of it. Like I knew there was tons of subtext and depth being conveyed and tried like hell to focus but eventually said fuck it wiener fingers lol!! Definitely gonna watch again soon to see what was actually going on.

• Like 1