Any former 400 meter dashers out there?

That was my race  back in the  HS glory days.

Depending on how fat and out of shape you are:

Put your cigarette in an ash can, finish your scotch.

Run 40s on a football field to start. After you get over the soreness and your lungs adjust move to 100s.

Get on the track and run a 100, bounce a 100, run a 100 and bounce a 100. Rinse and repeat all away around the track.

Get on the track and run 200 and then bounce 200 all  the way around the track.

When you get  the stamina, start the 400s.  Keep the same regimen throughout.  Don't just blaze away running 400s to start.  Always start with the 40s, then the running / bouncing 100s and 200s then move to the 400s.

A little extra mileage through longer runs (1 mile +/-) will help stamina for the shorter 400 race which is an underload distance-wise.

When in the turns, over throw your left elbow back and your right hand forward to help turn your body's momentum through and around the turns. 

Run upright with your hips and pelvis pushed forward to get proper posture and expand your lungs. Don't hunch over.  If you're into the wind, lean forward (not hunched over) and down a bit with your head to improve your drag coefficient into the wind.

Try not to brake yourself with your feet.  Learn proper heel contact to the track surface and roll your feet from heel to toe as part of your stride running motion where it is smooth, seamless contact.  Braking is when your heel jars into the surface and causes excess friction and slows you down.

Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You’re old. You need to spend about 3 months working on flexibility and core strength before stepping on a track. Otherwise, you’re gonna blow out a hamstring, an ACL, and at least one nut.

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You’re old. You need to spend about 3 months working on flexibility and core strength before stepping on a track. Otherwise, you’re gonna blow out a hamstring, an ACL, and at least one nut.

So both nuts, then? 

I'd listen to this former T&F athlete on the nutrition side of training:

Depends on how old you are.

If you're 35 or younger, you should be able to train aggressively. There are training programs that are easy to find on the web to help you approach peak performance. It's just a matter of putting in the time.

If you're over 50, it's quite a bit harder.   If you are an old, you probably know that old people break really easily.   If a typical over 50 year old person went out to a track and tried to run 1 lap as fast as they could, they A) wouldn't make it around the track and B) wouldn't be walking for months.  Sprinting is _really_ stressful to your body.  (yes, 400m is a sprint).    I would suggest starting slow with 15 minute jogs at a slow pace and over the course of a couple months start building mileage/time. When you can run for 30 minutes reliably (3-4 months) without physical break downs, I would start to increase the pace on the 30 minute runs.  Only in the last 6 weeks would I switch to the track and start with intervals; [run 200m, rest for a minute, repeat].  Even then I would start at about 50% effort on the intervals.   

• Hook 'Em 1

As stated, I can echo this...after a couple of months of just getting back into running shape (cardio-wise)...you gotta spend A LOT of time on the turns.  Just run the 'corners' of the track repeatedly.  Over and over and over and over again.  I know it's just a 400, so that's 3 or 4 turns depending how y'all's track is configured.  But those turns are still tight on a 400m and that feels way different on your heels and ankles and knees at my age, at least when you're running that fast.  Gotta learn how your body will lean.  

Unless y'all are just running straight for 400m.  IN which case, forget what I said and just do about 3 rails of blow before the race and just fucking go for it.

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

As stated, I can echo this...after a couple of months of just getting back into running shape (cardio-wise)...you gotta spend A LOT of time on the turns.  Just run the 'corners' of the track repeatedly.  Over and over and over and over again.  I know it's just a 400, so that's 3 or 4 turns depending how y'all's track is configured.  But those turns are still tight on a 400m and that feels way different on your heels and ankles and knees at my age, at least when you're running that fast.  Gotta learn how your body will lean.  

I doubt he or almost anybody on this site runs “that fast” period

9 hours ago, bluto said:

I doubt he or almost anybody on this site runs “that fast” period

I meant fast for "middle-age surly poster"  I am not fast, but I do technically have a 'Lobo Top Speed.'  It looks a lot like a mild jog for most.  

And yes, this should be hosted at the surly tailgate (maybe an October or November game so y'all don't pass out...or we don't pass out watching you).  We can easily sneak in a few dozen of us into the Myers Track across the street.  

Edited by Lobo

On 12/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, Dr Fear said:

"I choose not to run."

23 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Where are you located?

California. I live by a hill, may just start sprinting up it.

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm already doing some P90x and Insanity workouts. 

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Tough Mudder workouts too

21 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Depends on how old you are.

If you're 35 or younger, you should be able to train aggressively. There are training programs that are easy to find on the web to help you approach peak performance. It's just a matter of putting in the time.

If you're over 50, it's quite a bit harder.   If you are an old, you probably know that old people break really easily.   If a typical over 50 year old person went out to a track and tried to run 1 lap as fast as they could, they A) wouldn't make it around the track and B) wouldn't be walking for months.  Sprinting is _really_ stressful to your body.  (yes, 400m is a sprint).    I would suggest starting slow with 15 minute jogs at a slow pace and over the course of a couple months start building mileage/time. When you can run for 30 minutes reliably (3-4 months) without physical break downs, I would start to increase the pace on the 30 minute runs.  Only in the last 6 weeks would I switch to the track and start with intervals; [run 200m, rest for a minute, repeat].  Even then I would start at about 50% effort on the intervals.   

I'm not a young, but definitely not an old.  The other dude is a bigger fat than me.

you can skip the training and pull a hamstring on the day of the race. and lose 50 bucks.

Or you can train your ass off and develop plantar fasciatis, patellar tendonitis, and shin splints. and win 50 bucks if you can ignore the pain for the 2 mins it takes to finish the race.

fyi, pulled hamstring is much easier to recover from.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Still haven’t said how out of shape you are (notice I didn’t say fat I try not to judge other people’s body type journey).   On a scale of Thor to Fat Thor, where do you fall?

I been working out.  Wouldn't say I'm fat at all.  Not that fat.  In fact, I have a lot of muscle so I'm worried it may be too much to move.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, deadshank said:

That was my race  back in the  HS glory days.

Depending on how fat and out of shape you are:

Put your cigarette in an ash can, finish your scotch.

Run 40s on a football field to start. After you get over the soreness and your lungs adjust move to 100s.

Get on the track and run a 100, bounce a 100, run a 100 and bounce a 100. Rinse and repeat all away around the track.

Get on the track and run 200 and then bounce 200 all  the way around the track.

When you get  the stamina, start the 400s.  Keep the same regimen throughout.  Don't just blaze away running 400s to start.  Always start with the 40s, then the running / bouncing 100s and 200s then move to the 400s.

A little extra mileage through longer runs (1 mile +/-) will help stamina for the shorter 400 race which is an underload distance-wise.

When in the turns, over throw your left elbow back and your right hand forward to help turn your body's momentum through and around the turns. 

Run upright with your hips and pelvis pushed forward to get proper posture and expand your lungs. Don't hunch over.  If you're into the wind, lean forward (not hunched over) and down a bit with your head to improve your drag coefficient into the wind.

Try not to brake yourself with your feet.  Learn proper heel contact to the track surface and roll your feet from heel to toe as part of your stride running motion where it is smooth, seamless contact.  Braking is when your heel jars into the surface and causes excess friction and slows you down.

Good luck.

What do you mean by bounce btw?

I shall take my inaugural benchmark run soon to see how bad Of shape I’m in.  By soon I mean when Jupiter aligns with mars

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, let us know the live stream for this.  Preferably with breakdown of racer day or two before hand so we can place friendly wagers on winner and or person to pull up lame first.

I've got $100 on the other guy, sight unseen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

To hear him tell it, of course, but it was more about him also making a bet on a race that was supposed to take place at a Surly tailgate…this place is full of degenerates, and I like it.

Did that race happen?  He probably chickened out.  My race happening bama weekend 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:08 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, let us know the live stream for this.  Preferably with breakdown of racer day or two before hand so we can place friendly wagers on winner and or person to pull up lame first.

I like this idea. I think we should start filming now though.  A mockumentary-styled background on how the bet was made, the training, the life changes, the diet regiment, etc.  Get some background on the wives, friends, coaches, et. al.  And yes, it's the basis for a new Christopher Guest vehicle.  Let's start the character assignments:

CloseToHumping is to be played by John Michael Higgins.  

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I like this idea. I think we should start filming now though.  A mockumentary-styled background on how the bet was made, the training, the life changes, the diet regiment, etc.  Get some background on the wives, friends, coaches, et. al.  And yes, it's the basis for a new Christopher Guest vehicle.  Let's start the character assignments:

CloseToHumping is to be played by John Michael Higgins.  

Too lazy to google.  Is John Michael Higgins handsome?