Any former 400 meter dashers out there?

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Can we at least get some specs for the both of you? Height / weight / estimated one mile run pace. Agreed that 10 months is a long way off but I think a longview of things would help with betting lines and expectations. 

I believe we have come far enough in the journey to where you and your fellow padawans deserve some details.

Genesis/background Like many of you, I'm in a group chat of about 12 dudes.  Subject matter usually centers around Texas football and how liberals are trying to jab us from behind with the covid vaccine while we are trying to buy KY jelly and PBR at Eckerd's.  Most of the members of the chat are in their 40's to 50's, so pretty close to "olds?"  This has been a long running feud that was supposed to be settled at our bowl game, and well, you know what happened there.  During the Baylor game, BJ Foster either missed a tackle, blew a coverage or got smoke and one of the members said "Foster sucks, I'd rather have CTH back there."  I took that as an insult so I called him out, and said "I'm probably the fastest guy here, so not sure  why you mentioned me."  Another dude in the chat said "I'd smoke you in the 40.  1,000 bucks, name the time and the place."

I live in California and I'm not going to fly in just to race, so I decided on the Bama game.  That won't work now, so we're looking at the ou game.

Tale of the tape:

The villain:  6'5" 245ish.  He's a giant, tall.  But not handsome tall, sort of like awkward, Andre the Giant George Muresan tall.    Like he has Big Man's disease:

He did not play high school sports.  Sort of skinny fat, but great guy.

The hero:

I'm just a little guy.  5'9"170, same weight I was in high school, only a lot softer.  Drink most nights, though I suspect he does as well.  Did play football in a small Texas town but was not a noteworthy athlete, ie couldn't start at a 3A school.  I'd like to think I workout 3-4 times a week.  Workouts include light weights, walking my dogs and a subscription to Beachbody workout platform, where I usually quit about half way through the videos while following the "modifier," usually played by a middle-aged, endomorphic white woman.  He's on record as saying that he has no plans to workout at all.

Additional details:

Given his decided height advantage I thought it in my best interest to lengthen the race to 400 and will now try to make it an 800 with the hopes that he says "you know what this ain't worth my trouble, I'm cancelling the race."  If that doesn't work I will have no choice but to train. 

On a related note, I believe Shaun T has come out and I commend him for it.  This morning's workout video:

Open photo

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With that fitness advantage you should smoke him. I’d shit talk him relentlessly to make him take the bait and try and push the $$ higher. 6’5” and 250 lbs is not what I would call a runners build. You have a distinct leg up and should capitalize on big man’s hubris. Poke the bear as much as possible, and if he does beg off make sure and rip him to shreds continuously until he admits to being a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

With that fitness advantage you should smoke him. I’d shit talk him relentlessly to make him take the bait and try and push the $$ higher. 6’5” and 250 lbs is not what I would call a runners build. You have a distinct leg up and should capitalize on big man’s hubris. Poke the bear as much as possible, and if he does beg off make sure and rip him to shreds continuously until he admits to being a bitch. 

Should I push to extend the length of the race? 800 or 1 mile?

I doubt he’d agree to a mile, but if he did it would only help your chances. If he is that big and does not exercise, trying to run a mile would be not advisable. My buddy tried to do a mile challenge with me several years ago. He weighed less than me but totally skinny fat/out of shape. I gave him odds and said we could call it square if he finished in less than 10 mins. He BARELY made it while I finished in like 6mins and change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/15/2021 at 12:38 PM, Lobo said:

As stated, I can echo this...after a couple of months of just getting back into running shape (cardio-wise)...you gotta spend A LOT of time on the turns.  Just run the 'corners' of the track repeatedly.  Over and over and over and over again.  I know it's just a 400, so that's 3 or 4 turns depending how y'all's track is configured.  But those turns are still tight on a 400m and that feels way different on your heels and ankles and knees at my age, at least when you're running that fast.  Gotta learn how your body will lean.  

Unless y'all are just running straight for 400m.  IN which case, forget what I said and just do about 3 rails of blow before the race and just fucking go for it.

You act like this will be a close Olympic type race, one will finish the other might die.  We did this ten years ago after drinking all day but it was a mile, I actually didn’t run as I was 7-10 years younger then the runners.  A couple those guys we were seriously worried about for a while lol. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Haha 1

You should keep it to 400 m. If the original challenge was football speed then 400 m is more appropriate than longer. But it sound like you have the fitness advantage. Your rival is lying that he won't work out of course. If you don't run much at all, I wouldn't wait until March to do something. Forget about pushing things right away but let your body adjust to running. Hills are great, I would extra not worry about sprinting up at first. Later, you can sprint a few hills (easy to hurt yourself) and be ready to run 400 m all out and smoke this doubter, and claim your $1000.

Edited by pantone159
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, pantone159 said:

You should keep it to 400 m. If the original challenge was football speed then 400 m is more appropriate than longer. But it sound like you have the fitness advantage. Your rival is lying that he won't work out of course. If you don't run much at all, I wouldn't wait until March to do something. Forget about pushing things right away but let your body adjust to running. Hills are great, I would extra not worry about sprinting up at first. Later, you can sprint a few hills (easy to hurt yourself) and be ready to run 400 m all out and smoke this doubter, and claim your $1000.

Yea the original distance was 40 but I figured with his long as legs I may actually lose that. His long legs may help in the 400 too but he’ll be carrying 90 pounds more than me

Yea the original distance was 40 but I figured with his long as legs I may actually lose that. His long legs may help in the 400 too but he’ll be carrying 90 pounds more than me

That short of a sprint is won by who can start faster and get to speed quicker. A longer stride won’t help him over 40y. It’s why Usain Bolt never bothered with the indoor 60m. He would’ve gotten smoked by dozens of sprinters who are more built for that race. If he’s carrying 90 pounds more than you, on paper you should have a much faster start. Even if you both have the same top end speed, you could just work on your start and acceleration and beat him easily.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

That short of a sprint is won by who can start faster and get to speed quicker. A longer stride won’t help him over 40y. It’s why Usain Bolt never bothered with the indoor 60m. He would’ve gotten smoked by dozens of sprinters who are more built for that race. If he’s carrying 90 pounds more than you, on paper you should have a much faster start. Even if you both have the same top end speed, you could just work on your start and acceleration and beat him easily.

Crap

On 12/16/2021 at 9:48 PM, deadshank said:

4FFC34F9-197E-4004-B21B-ECB5B6B2EC12.gif

Dude shaped like the guy in grey that works at the Lodge in Round Rock was taking bets that he could finish a 400 in two minutes with no walking. I wish I had been there that day because I would have mortgaged my house and robbed a couple of banks to bet he wouldn't make it. He collapsed after about 100 yards.

A few months ago they had a rule that you couldn't eat at the table unless you used a utensil to eat. Two dudes were eating cheetos and he came over to tell them how they were supposed to eat them (put them in a cup and use a spoon). I told him he looked like an expert in the ways of eating cheetos. He was not amused.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Dude shaped like the guy in grey that works at the Lodge in Round Rock was taking bets that he could finish a 400 in two minutes with no walking. I wish I had been there that day because I would have mortgaged my house and robbed a couple of banks to bet he wouldn't make it. He collapsed after about 100 yards.

A few months ago they had a rule that you couldn't eat at the table unless you used a utensil to eat. Two dudes were eating cheetos and he came over to tell them how they were supposed to eat them (put them in a cup and use a spoon). I told him he looked like an expert in the ways of eating cheetos. He was not amused.

You hang out with fat people, don't you?

there would no difference in the 40 and 400 as the better in-shape 'athlete' would win regardless of height, imo.  i am an expert because my roommate at UT was on the track team and ran the 400 hurdles.  If the tall guy added the hurdles to the race, then you being a manlet would come into play but otherwise you should be in the clear to win by a convincing margin.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

there would no difference in the 40 and 400 as the better in-shape 'athlete' would win regardless of height, imo.  i am an expert because my roommate at UT was on the track team and ran the 400 hurdles.  If the tall guy added the hurdles to the race, then you being a manlet would come into play but otherwise you should be in the clear to win by a convincing margin.

Idk.  Some fats can move well for forty yards

Other guy is gonna show up like DK Metcalf.
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

We had a coach in HS like that. 300+, played DL for Baylor and got drafted/signed by either Chicago or Green Bay I think.

He was constantly clowning the WR and RB in a 25 or 30 yd sprint.

That was my worry.  Tvondre sweat can beat a lot of receivers in the 40.  In the 400?  Doubtful

• Like 1

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

i hope you won some money on that one.

No. It was straightup peer ridicule and shaming.  It was one of the funniest non-work related things that happened at work that I’ve ever seen. 

these two guys in particular were always running their mouth uncle Rico style and we had finally had enough. We measured that shit off and they came up terribly short. It was beautiful.  

Edited by slorch

On 12/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, closetohumping said:

I believe we have come far enough in the journey to where you and your fellow padawans deserve some details.

Genesis/background Like many of you, I'm in a group chat of about 12 dudes.  Subject matter usually centers around Texas football and how liberals are trying to jab us from behind with the covid vaccine while we are trying to buy KY jelly and PBR at Eckerd's.  Most of the members of the chat are in their 40's to 50's, so pretty close to "olds?"  This has been a long running feud that was supposed to be settled at our bowl game, and well, you know what happened there.  During the Baylor game, BJ Foster either missed a tackle, blew a coverage or got smoke and one of the members said "Foster sucks, I'd rather have CTH back there."  I took that as an insult so I called him out, and said "I'm probably the fastest guy here, so not sure  why you mentioned me."  Another dude in the chat said "I'd smoke you in the 40.  1,000 bucks, name the time and the place."

I live in California and I'm not going to fly in just to race, so I decided on the Bama game.  That won't work now, so we're looking at the ou game.

Tale of the tape:

The villain:  6'5" 245ish.  He's a giant, tall.  But not handsome tall, sort of like awkward, Andre the Giant George Muresan tall.    Like he has Big Man's disease:

He did not play high school sports.  Sort of skinny fat, but great guy.

The hero:

I'm just a little guy.  5'9"170, same weight I was in high school, only a lot softer.  Drink most nights, though I suspect he does as well.  Did play football in a small Texas town but was not a noteworthy athlete, ie couldn't start at a 3A school.  I'd like to think I workout 3-4 times a week.  Workouts include light weights, walking my dogs and a subscription to Beachbody workout platform, where I usually quit about half way through the videos while following the "modifier," usually played by a middle-aged, endomorphic white woman.  He's on record as saying that he has no plans to workout at all.

Additional details:

Given his decided height advantage I thought it in my best interest to lengthen the race to 400 and will now try to make it an 800 with the hopes that he says "you know what this ain't worth my trouble, I'm cancelling the race."  If that doesn't work I will have no choice but to train. 

On a related note, I believe Shaun T has come out and I commend him for it.  This morning's workout video:

Open photo

Lol.  That guy won’t be able to finish 400m.  Are you hiding something?  Anyone even in average shape would smoke this fatfuck at any distance.  You should probably have an ambulance on site and someone who knows to turn their phone sideways when recording.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All I can say is after running many 5Ks, halfs and fulls.... I never, ever can understand how some people are so fast let alone can finish the race. Size might be a general indicator, but there are some old looking, overweight, nerdy people who flat out can run.   Make sure you speed train.  This is either going to be a case of the guy showing up with a check already made out to you hoping you wasted a bunch of time training (is it really a waste?) or he might be one of those dudes that can just run like no tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Other guy is gonna show up like DK Metcalf.

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

Your buddy/opponent that's 245...is he top heavy or just brick shithouse build from head to toe?  We all know guys that big, but how's he situated?  

He looks soft skinny to me.  I haven't seen him shirtless or any thing, but looks pretty well distributed.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

No. It was straightup peer ridicule and shaming.  It was one of the funniest non-work related things that happened at work that I’ve ever seen. 

these two guys in particular were always running their mouth uncle Rico style and we had finally had enough. We measured that shit off and they came up terribly short. It was beautiful.  

I wonder how many people can actually throw it 50 yards.  I was watching an old QB competition and Harbaugh threw it 63 yards, meaning 50 is probably tougher than one would think.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  That guy won’t be able to finish 400m.  Are you hiding something?  Anyone even in average shape would smoke this fatfuck at any distance.  You should probably have an ambulance on site and someone who knows to turn their phone sideways when recording.  

taking nothing for granted.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

All I can say is after running many 5Ks, halfs and fulls.... I never, ever can understand how some people are so fast let alone can finish the race. Size might be a general indicator, but there are some old looking, overweight, nerdy people who flat out can run.   Make sure you speed train.  This is either going to be a case of the guy showing up with a check already made out to you hoping you wasted a bunch of time training (is it really a waste?) or he might be one of those dudes that can just run like no tomorrow.

Part of the reason I'm doing this is to improve my overall fitness.  He's telling me he will train after all so LFG.

Also, I've seen some fats run 5ks for sure.  Yes, size could be a general indicator but not absolute.

Back in my 30's I trained a lot for the mile and did the 5k road race thing.  As part of that, there were many 400s in my training schedule.  I did a lot of them for time, but only rarely did I legitimately sprint, so I wouldn't worry about doing that for 400 meters.  Think of this as a fast jog.

In my 40's I got tired of running longer distances and pretty much did sets of 400's a few times per week to stay in running shape.

Your main obstacle, is going to be taking it slow and not developing Achilles tendinitis or nagging shin splints.  So stretch lightly before and after.

So to start, I would just do some alternating walks and jogs with your dog.  Start with 15 second jog/1 minute walk a few times per week and slowly build the jog time to 1 min, taking at least one minute to rest over a couple of months.  Then add days until you are doing this every day, or at least every day you walk your dog.  Try to time your jogs with uphill inclines as this is speed work in disguise and is much easier on the joints.

This should get you started and you will be surprised at how much fitness you can gain doing just this little bit extra.  After phase 1, you should be ready to jog 400 meters  few times per week.

Others have mentioned actually doing sprint work over shorter distances as part your training.  It works wonders, but I am hesitant to recommend it before you have been running for a couple of months.  But if you do want to try it.  Only do it once every 7-10 days.

My in my 50's sprint workout would look like this, and I am sure you could do something similar:

All sprints 100-150 meters (pick an approximate distance) MAX will be your fastest jog in the beginning.  After about 6 weeks you should be able to get to 5min/mile pace in the middle sections.

Sprint 1:  Jog to begin, accelerate to 50 % of max in the middle, decelerate towards the end.

Sprint 2: Repeat Sprint 1 with 60-75% of max in the middle

Sprint 3: Repeat Sprint 1 with 75%+ of max in the middle. Start a little faster and decelerate a little slower.

Sprint 4: Repeat Sprint 3 with 90% of max in the middle.

Sprint 5: Repeat Sprint 3 with 100% of max in the middle.

Sprint 6: Repeat Sprint 5.

Sprint 7: Repeat Sprint 3

Sprint 8: Repeat Sprint 2

If you do nothing but walk/jog with your dog and these sprint work outs, then you will need no other running specific training until about a month before the "race", where you can add in some weekly work outs where you will run 400 meters and walk 400 meters for 4 to 8 sets once per week just to get a feel for time, curves etc.

Your friend is horrible, you should win convincingly. 

• Like 1

A lot of great advice on here. Maybe I can also help. My high school track team won the 400 and 1600 relay state titles. 

I guess I should add that I wasn’t on those teams. In fact I really wasn’t involved at all. Oh, and it was our girls teams. 

• Haha 1

This is an entertaining read, but Debbie D alert, this shit isn't going to happen. He doesn't want it to happen and neither do you. Unless he's more stubborn than my guy Derka, he's gonna move to cancel before he has to actually consider working out for this and you're going to agree because you don't want to train for this, either. I don't blame you, but prove me wrong, I double dog dare you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:56 PM, Deej said:

Ah, the 400 (440 if you're old), the race the high school track coach made you run when you weren't fast enough for shorter sprints and didn't have the stamina for anything longer.

You're thinking of the 800.  Although I ran the 100, 200, and sprint relay, but not the 400...so maybe you're right.  10.9 in the hundred bitches!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

271283858_10158122856722260_341024089045754731_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=ROxEqbArntcAX_LJ5oS&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=00_AT8kdHaHZ3bOsA754oO-InR4tx8jbOYtAE93NYecwD0nIQ&oe=61D74EDF

I was hoping for a video more along the lines of one that starts with a shot of whiskey and a few bat spins before attempting a spring up hill while smoking a cigar. And Hearts on Fire playing in the background 

Edited by UT_OB1