Any former 400 meter dashers out there?

32 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

For inspirational purposes only.  I loved those shoes though.

That is a pretty nice time there.

Off-topic shoe talk: were the Bowerman's you had based on the Pegasus? That was one of the Nike models I could train in because they came in a narrow width (women's) but I eventually went back to Asics because the last fit my foot better, and I could get more mileage out of them. The Pegasus would wear out and shoo goo only went so far. I had a pair of Gel-Lytes sometime in the early 90s (time is getting fuzzy) and I kept returning to that model until they changed them. Always hate when the shoe you like no longer works after the redesign. The Pegasus was great for soft surfaces, excellent traction, but the rubber was soft and high mileage just beat the sole down.

15 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That is a pretty nice time there.

Off-topic shoe talk: were the Bowerman's you had based on the Pegasus? That was one of the Nike models I could train in because they came in a narrow width (women's) but I eventually went back to Asics because the last fit my foot better, and I could get more mileage out of them. The Pegasus would wear out and shoo goo only went so far. I had a pair of Gel-Lytes sometime in the early 90s (time is getting fuzzy) and I kept returning to that model until they changed them. Always hate when the shoe you like no longer works after the redesign. The Pegasus was great for soft surfaces, excellent traction, but the rubber was soft and high mileage just beat the sole down.

I don't think so on the Pegasus.  This was back in 1999, so the memory is a little fuzzy, but I stayed away from the Pegasus line even though I was a Nike guy.  I always hated the colors (too much white) and the shoe just looked slow and like "dad" shoes.

I always picked out shoes that looked fast but also looked like they were sturdy too.  I preferred dark colors with a splash of some kind of day glow color. I also never went for the expensive higher end shoes-upper middle was my max as far as price went.  Even though at my peak I only ran about 30 miles a week, I went through shoes really quickly since so much of my work was on the track or hills, plus I was pretty large, at least compared to the guys I was training with who were all about 150 while I was between 165-170.  What I would give to weigh that again.

17 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I don't think so on the Pegasus.  This was back in 1999, so the memory is a little fuzzy, but I stayed away from the Pegasus line even though I was a Nike guy.  I always hated the colors (too much white) and the shoe just looked slow and like "dad" shoes.

I always picked out shoes that looked fast but also looked like they were sturdy too.  I preferred dark colors with a splash of some kind of day glow color. I also never went for the expensive higher end shoes-upper middle was my max as far as price went.  Even though at my peak I only ran about 30 miles a week, I went through shoes really quickly since so much of my work was on the track or hills, plus I was pretty large, at least compared to the guys I was training with who were all about 150 while I was between 165-170.  What I would give to weigh that again.

I was out of the Pegasus by the late 90s (actually I'm not sure when I made the switch back to Asics but sometime in the 90s~shrug), so I don't really remember much about color other than your remark about the white (I think my swoosh was teal)--but a lot of women's models were light or pastel anyway no matter the brand. Maybe Adidas if I recall, but they just weren't too popular in my locale because their trainers were stiff and a very firm midsole. I liked their spikes, though, and when I was in hs and played soccer as well, that was my favorite shoe company (for cleats) no question.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
I can't spell today

• 2 weeks later...

update: Did sprints up the hill today, which is about .10 miles.  I'm quite a bit faster, lungs feel better.  Still very far away from being able to sprint 400 though.  I did alter my training.  I had been doing cardio daily and guess what, that tends to wear your legs down.  So, I only run after upper body or very light cardio days.  Not sore anymore.

Over the last year, when I sprint, I literally say to myself "holy shit you're slow."  Today is the first day I didn't say that.  Again, really far from where I want to be but.....

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Op, you need to run this in some white New Balance shoes.

13 hours ago, deadshank said:

No laces. 

Velcro. 

Pass.  I will get some decent track shoes though.  Also as you can imagine, he’s a pretty conservative Texan (fine with me got friends on both sides of the aisle) so my “California ass” going to west an n95 mask during the race.  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Pass.  I will get some decent track shoes though.  Also as you can imagine, he’s a pretty conservative Texan (fine with me got friends on both sides of the aisle) so my “California ass” going to west an n95 mask during the race.  

Make sure your n95 mask is woven by indigenous peoples using artisan, un-dyed, non-GMO hemp. 

That’ll show him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Didn’t Duncanville run a 39 something in the 4x100?

Official relay time was 40.65, and the top three times in that final were all under 41. Not too shabby. Also, Summer Creek ran a 3:09 in the 4X4 final which would've won the small uni/college division.  There are usually some good times/PRs at the meet at both the collegiate and HS levels if the weather is good and fortunately it  wasn't too bad this year other than some wind. A little warm for the distance events, but not like it can be. HS (female) sophomore from Lewisville FM ran a 4:44 and some change in the 1600. Will be one to watch and see how that goes for her over the next two years.

A female high jumper from A&M had a really good series--her winning jump was 6'5. The UT squads did pretty well. The UT coach seems to be on top of things and they had a good showing.

Sorry for the derail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my two cents: Background, am an old now, 57, and the last time I ran long distance was 2010.  The Tyler Half-Marathon beckoned.  Their website had the best tag line ever:  "Where will you be on 10-10-10?  So I registered, trained with the old Tues, Thurs. Sat. running plan.  Those long runs on Saturday were very peaceful, cleared my head.  Training included a 15k in Sherman along the way. 

Had allergy issue day of Tyler race, and vividly remember those bricks in Tyler.  I trained for probably 6 months for the race and my weight never went down.  I was about 237 day of race.  5'11". 

Except for getting water during the water stations, I ran the entire way until completing mile 10.  Then my field of vision started to narrow.  I ran/walked the remainder.  Finished a nice slow 2:53. 

Fast forward to March 2022.  I'm in northern rural Alaska, no fast food since December, and am losing weight, partially due to staying active playing pickleball and partially due to having to eat my own cooking.  Pickleball can sometimes get to 1.5 hours or so.  Nearly addicting. 

A fellow teacher gets on the PA and announces the bridge races are to be held later that day.  The races under the bridge are on the frozen river, and are in age groups.  I'm in the 56-58 old man group.  

The race is to the ATV and back to the starting line, maybe 50 yards.  In a photo-finish I win! One spectator yelled "tie!" as we finished, but they gave me the envelope with the winnings, $30, woohoo!

Another round of races was supposed to happen in late April, but the weather warmed up, so I am the reigning bridge race champ- 56-58 year old division.  

Bottom line, you may not need any training.  You definitely need to stay active.  I am in Texas visiting this summer, and weighed in at the dr. office at 216 on May 17, down from 240 in summer of 2020.  

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 months later...

Time for a thread bump....

On 12/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, closetohumping said:

...  Friend challenged me to a race for some money...  Race is ten months away.

🤔

On 12/16/2021 at 8:22 PM, closetohumping said:

I been working out.  Wouldn't say I'm fat at all.  Not that fat.  In fact, I have a lot of muscle so I'm worried it may be too much to move.

🤔

On 12/16/2021 at 9:52 PM, closetohumping said:

I got ten months, I'm naturally a mesomorph, which could be bad here.  Don't worry.  

😶

On 12/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, closetohumping said:

Look for an update in 2022

😐

On 12/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, closetohumping said:

I live in California and I'm not going to fly in just to race, so I decided on the Bama game.  That won't work now, so we're looking at the ou game.

🤨

One month...are you ready?

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Villain won't be in Austin.  He lives OOT and has some parental stuff to attend to.  AKA pussy couldn't take the L

So you just need some random shagster to show up and be his stand in?  I’m sure we’ll have some volunteers. Sounds like the race is still on. 

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Paging @RDCanecutter to the white courtesy telephone please. I believe a consultation with respect to the Code Duello is in your area of expertise regarding the use of seconds in a matter of honor.

Imagine my bafflement at being named in a running thread. But duels, yeah, I read a couple of Chekov stories, my ancestors included many violent savages, and once I won a small Epee tournament vs. this one grown dude and 6 children. So what we talking about?

If you challenge a person to a duel, they get to choose weapons and place. If this is a running duel, wow, how many options are there? Could you challenge to "race" meaning a 400 meter, but they choose marathon? Doesn't seem right.

So to hell with that part. Let's suppose they both agree to 400 meters. I guess the guy who got challenged could choose the time and place, ie season of the year, type of track?

The seconds are supposed to go back and forth making a big show about finding a way to call off the duel while maintaining honor. Also, this all must be in secret as it is illegal to duel. If you are not planning on doing anything illegal while you run, then I suggest you up your game and add crack pipes and Bowie knives somehow.

Oh, suggestion from Mrs. Canecutter, who is an actual runner as well as a psychopathic manipulator of the unwary:

Add an event for the day before the run, weightlifting. Through subterfuge, our boy does not actually lift real weights, but the villain goes Chad Alpha and gymbros out, exerting dominance. Then we see how everybody does running the next day.

We're at the part regarding the seconds because one of the original runners cannot make the race. IMO, CTH would not be the party dishonored since the race is essentially forfeited by the challenger. However, UT_OB1 brought up the possibility of a proxy runner....

Mostly I found it interesting because CTH was volunteered by another person in his football discussion group and the next thing you know, gauntlets are being tossed and things were serious. Well, perhaps not really serious, but had it actually occurred, we were all hoping for a good Surly tale of the tape.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

We're at the part regarding the seconds because one of the original runners cannot make the race. IMO, CTH would not be the party dishonored since the race is essentially forfeited by the challenger. However, UT_OB1 brought up the possibility of a proxy runner....

I am not sure about proxies except in cases where one of the offended parties is a widow, a cripple, or an underage witless child.

I did seek help. https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2016/06/so-youve-been-challenged-to-a-duel-what-are-the-rules/

tldr, there seem to be few reasons that would stop a duel. Is it possible that the villain is of lower social status? In that case, CTH need not acknowledge offense at any of the villain's doings, and may satisfy himself by laying into the scoundrel with a horse whip.

In any case, it is important to maintain dignity and not be seen gasconading around the track or otherwise engaging in braggadocio.

I say if the other party fails to show, his name is Coward, and never shall he be employed, marry, or rise in society.

CodeDuello.jpeg

CodeDuello2.jpeg

CodeDuello3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, JGrayDBU said:

my two cents: Background, am an old now, 57, and the last time I ran long distance was 2010.  The Tyler Half-Marathon beckoned.  Their website had the best tag line ever:  "Where will you be on 10-10-10?  So I registered, trained with the old Tues, Thurs. Sat. running plan.  Those long runs on Saturday were very peaceful, cleared my head.  Training included a 15k in Sherman along the way. 

Had allergy issue day of Tyler race, and vividly remember those bricks in Tyler.  I trained for probably 6 months for the race and my weight never went down.  I was about 237 day of race.  5'11". 

Except for getting water during the water stations, I ran the entire way until completing mile 10.  Then my field of vision started to narrow.  I ran/walked the remainder.  Finished a nice slow 2:53. 

Fast forward to March 2022.  I'm in northern rural Alaska, no fast food since December, and am losing weight, partially due to staying active playing pickleball and partially due to having to eat my own cooking.  Pickleball can sometimes get to 1.5 hours or so.  Nearly addicting. 

A fellow teacher gets on the PA and announces the bridge races are to be held later that day.  The races under the bridge are on the frozen river, and are in age groups.  I'm in the 56-58 old man group.  

The race is to the ATV and back to the starting line, maybe 50 yards.  In a photo-finish I win! One spectator yelled "tie!" as we finished, but they gave me the envelope with the winnings, $30, woohoo!

Another round of races was supposed to happen in late April, but the weather warmed up, so I am the reigning bridge race champ- 56-58 year old division.  

Bottom line, you may not need any training.  You definitely need to stay active.  I am in Texas visiting this summer, and weighed in at the dr. office at 216 on May 17, down from 240 in summer of 2020. 

I assume that the race you won was downhill.

On 9/7/2022 at 3:11 PM, Bevo said:

I assume that the race you won was downhill.

Not at all, flat surface, run the 20 or so yards to the four-wheeler parked on the ice, and run back to the starting point.  I was in 2nd place at the four-wheeler, caught him and passed him at the end. 

This is a completely frozen river.  Spikes were required footwear attached to boots.  

I had never won anything in my life race-wise before this.  I was the happiest guy ever to receive the envelope with $30 I think it was.  

• Like 1