Bruce sells his publishing: Half Billion Dollars

Gil Bang

Score! From the Nicks thread.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:26 PM, ztejas said:

Half a bil maybe? He isn't the Beatles but Steve Nicks isn't the Boss. Dylan went for an estimated 300M plus. I feel like Springsteen has sold more records than Dylan though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bogeywon said:

Money talks 

Yeah, and it's inevitable. At some point either the artist or their estate has to manage it. He's 72. He's not going to earn any more artistic credibility at this point. Selling the publishing back to Sony/Columbia would leave one to believe they're not going to pimp the music out at any opportunity. They've already made a massive amount of money from him. And his catalog reportedly makes about $20mm a year as is. With just licensing more songs for movie soundtracks it won't take long for Sony to recoup their $500mm.

18 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah, and it's inevitable. At some point either the artist or their estate has to manage it. He's 72. He's not going to earn any more artistic credibility at this point. Selling the publishing back to Sony/Columbia would leave one to believe they're not going to pimp the music out at any opportunity. They've already made a massive amount of money from him. And his catalog reportedly makes about $20mm a year as is. With just licensing more songs for movie soundtracks it won't take long for Sony to recoup their $500mm.

Can’t spend it all but you can have a blast trying! 

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Unpopular music opinion:

I don’t understand why people love Bruce.. 

Tom Petty > Bruce Springsteen 

fight me

I love Bruce and the E Street Band, but I also love TP and The Heartbreakers.

My Unpopular music opinion:

TP and The Heartbreakers are the greatest American rock and roll band.

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Unpopular music opinion:

fight me

7 minutes ago, MAROON said:

I love Bruce and the E Street Band, but I also love TP and The Heartbreakers.

My Unpopular music opinion:

TP and The Heartbreakers are the greatest American rock and roll band.

Why can't you love both?  I do. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Unpopular music opinion:

fight me

Not a huge Bruce fan but enjoy his music well enough, his concert performance needs no mention, but I prefer Petty over him. 

Top5 Solo Acts for me: 

Joel

Elton

Seger

Petty

Bruce

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The River could be written as a movie.  There's only a handful of songs that would work as a movie plot.  Maggie May is another. 

Highway Patrolman is another, and Sean Penn did just that with The Indian Runner. Some great performances by David Morse, Viggo Mortensen and Charles Bronson going WAY out of his comfort zone. Penn's ego and lack of directorial chops get in the way, but still worth watching.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:10 AM, Bogeywon said:

Unpopular music opinion:

fight me

I could come up with 100 artists that are > Springsteen. To me he's like Jimmy Fallon......there seem to be plenty of people that swear he's great, but fuck if I can figure out why. 

• Like 2

bruce is an interesting one.  most popular song being a protest, anti-war song that was co-opted by idiots/t-shit patriots.

honestly, when i think about top 250 songs in my list, "Streets of Philadelphia" is the only one that would make it. maybe, maybe glory days for a touch of childhood nostalgia.  $500 million is insane.  but his top ten on spotify has almost 1.6 billion streams so...