Scifi/Fantasy Book Recs

Hellraiser97

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I wished I knew the Starship Troopers wasn't just a movie. I didn't know how political it was, and how they actually used mech suits instead of just a bit of armor.

If their is more books like it, is love to read it.

Popped your cherry eh?  Try these:

• The Forever War: Joe Haldeman
  • Old Man's War: John Scalzi (it's a short series)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 2:16 AM, workswithseed said:

I wished I knew the Starship Troopers wasn't just a movie. I didn't know how political it was, and how they actually used mech suits instead of just a bit of armor.

If their is more books like it, is love to read it.

The book was better, and I would love to see some adaptations from somebody like AMC, Netflix, or HBO.  The mech suit could be done proper justice   

But loved the movie, not gonna lie.   There were some sequels and a decent animated series, but the movie had held up.   Helps they used a lot of practical effects.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2019 at 7:00 AM, Grippe said:

Let us know what you think - responses tend to be very polar; love it or big time meh with very little in-between.

I liked it.  Probably the first true Scifi book I've read since my bookshelf is full of fantasy/S. King/L. Child/classics/P. Benchley/ect.

Anyways, Shrike seems like a bad mofo even though his appearances are limited.  Backstory on the characters was interesting and the ending definately left me wanting to find out what happens next.

I plan on getting the 2nd book at some point.

I read the whol Hyperion Cantos in December/January. 

I still sometimes think about Sol’s story. I also have a 6 month old, and when I was reading it she was younger (obviously), so thinking about doing that in reverse kind of got to me. There was a line in there that was something like “she smiled for the first - and last - time” that actually made me put the book down because it hit me hard. 

• Like 1

Yeah, put me in the camp that didn't like it. I thought I would because it seems right up my alley, but nope, couldn't wait to get through it on to something else. Didn't even bother with the rest of the cantos. It was a while back that I tried to get through it, so I can't recall why I didn't like it, I just remember struggling to get myself through it. Maybe I should give it another shot at some point.

Edited by MillerEP

On 11/9/2018 at 10:25 AM, RoundRobin said:

I’ve read all of the Expanse novels and can’t wait for the next one to come out. Great series. 

Just read the 8th (Tiamat's Wrath) that came out last week.

Really liked it - I like that it tied in the 4th book (Cibola Burn) really well, and the time jump that seems almost jarring in the 7th book (~30 years) makes a lot more sense. 

Also, I have my theory for the true Big Bad that I assume the 9th and final book will address (see spoiler below):

Spoiler

I think the entities that killed the Protomolcule creators are made of antimatter - or live in a universe that is antimatter. The rings interact with the antimatter universe, and when the ships go dutchman, it is the entities in the antimatter universe are disturbed in some way. 

Finally, I'll say that if you haven't read book 8, go read the the short stories "Gods of Risk" and "Strange Dogs" before you do. It will help fill in some gaps and help understand some of the plot devices better. 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:34 PM, hornian said:

I read the whol Hyperion Cantos in December/January. 

I still sometimes think about Sol’s story. I also have a 6 month old, and when I was reading it she was younger (obviously), so thinking about doing that in reverse kind of got to me. There was a line in there that was something like “she smiled for the first - and last - time” that actually made me put the book down because it hit me hard. 

Same but my kid was about 18 months when I read that.  Side note, he said “later alligator “ the other day and really tripped me out.

Anyways, I enjoyed the first book but not the second and that’s a shame because I also enjoyed the Endymion books.

The second book really makes this hard for me to recommend to anyone.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Question for the masses. I am looking for some new sci-fi or fantasy humor. Keep in mind that I have read(mostly own) everything written by the following authors. Pratchett, Gaiman, Douglas Adams, Asprin, Piers Anthony, Donaldson, Brooks(Landover series). 

51 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Question for the masses. I am looking for some new sci-fi or fantasy humor. Keep in mind that I have read(mostly own) everything written by the following authors. Pratchett, Gaiman, Douglas Adams, Asprin, Piers Anthony, Donaldson, Brooks(Landover series). 

Steven Brust.

Some of Alan Dean Foster's books are good like that - like Glory Lane.

And it's hard to find, but Illegal Aliens by Nick Pollotta and Phil Foglio was very enjoyable when I read it long ago.

14 hours ago, bamachine said:

Redshirts.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, bamachine said:

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files

Charles Stross - Laundry Files

David Wong - *any*

Jonathan Stroud - Bartimaeus series

Scott Lynch - Gentleman Bastard series

Wild Cards series

Expeditionary Force series (SciFi) - Craig Alanson

Magic 2.0 Series (Fantasy) - Scott Meyer

On 5/7/2019 at 7:43 PM, MillerEP said:

Magic 2.0 Series (Fantasy) - Scott Meyer

I would say it’s a sci fi / fantasy crossover, but either way they are entertaining.  It’s nice to take a break from some of the more serious books and pickup one of these when they come out.

Another one that reads that kind of like the Magic 2.0 series is the Swords, Spells and Stealth series by Drew Hayes (first book is titled ‘NPC’).  It’s based on D&D like games but I never played any of those and still enjoyed them.

It sucks you in early. You're hooked before it starts dragging.
It was alright. I would sometimes get mad that I'd get interested in a character's storyline and then he'd go an entire book without even mentioning it while telling you what some other character was doing during the last book. I was much more interested in Mat and Egwene's stories.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:04 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 5/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, SimonBolivar said:
40 pages into Wheel of Time series...this seems like a terrible idea, but I'm enjoying it so far.

It sucks you in early. You're hooked before it starts dragging.

How does it hook you before page 1?

I loved the three body trilogy, so I guess to each their own.

I just finished "The Prefect" by Alistair Reynolds.  Pretty good read, but:

Spoiler

I didn't like the way it ended at all.  It felt very abrupt and I was unsatisfied with the lack of resolution on some of the major conflicts

52 minutes ago, BTW said:

I just finished "The Prefect" by Alistair Reynolds.  Pretty good read, but:

Hide contents

I didn't like the way it ended at all.  It felt very abrupt and I was unsatisfied with the lack of resolution on some of the major conflicts

Haha we are total opposites, I guess. I loved the prefect. The whole revelation space universe stories are great.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:22 PM, BTW said:

I loved it as well. Really liked the human aspect of the plot, the physics is actually passably "correct" according to some physicist friends, and it's a nice mix of hard science with politics.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Sam Lin said:

And The Times felt it was "Outstanding," so there's that.

(Loved the Altered Carbon books. Hear the show is pretty good as well.)

I think the TV show was very solid, but it did differ here and there, simply because of trying to make it “approachable” by the masses.   The cast was great, and looking forward to the next season.   Effects and production values were extremely high.  

Others mentioned a hunch that should keep you busy, but if you get bored/stuck, grab a Kindle Unlimited subscription - there’s a shit-ton of a I-if and fantasy on it.  A lot is crap, but it’s easy enough to filter out.