RIP Dad

BillyGoatHill

“Football is two brothers beating each other up in the backyard; baseball is a father and son playing catch.”

For many years, Dad and I had taken the Field of Dreams approach and “Wanna have a Catch?” When we knew we would be getting together, one of us would always say to the other, “Make sure you bring your glove…”
This summer, they came over for the weekend to get some sun and hang out in our pool. Afterwards, we grabbed our gloves and had one our best throwing sessions in years and luckily I asked my wife to take some pictures. The only time I ever did. One of the pictures was used for the slideshow during his service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

For many years, Dad and I had taken the Field of Dreams approach and “Wanna have a Catch?” When we knew we would be getting together, one of us would always say to the other, “Make sure you bring your glove…”
This summer, they came over for the weekend to get some sun and hang out in our pool. Afterwards, we grabbed our gloves and had one our best throwing sessions in years and luckily I asked my wife to take some pictures. The only time I ever did. One of the pictures was used for the slideshow during his service.

Great story as the other stories you related about your great Dad  !   You told them in a way we felt we knew him.

Thanks for sharing  !     Thoughts and prayers !

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, so sorry and I know what you are going through. My Mother in Law, who was an amazing mother to me and an even better Grand Mother to the kids, passed two weeks ago (fuck cancer). I am loading up now to head to the funeral in Dallas which is tomorrow at the Veteran's Cemetery there. My son and me were able to go up and spend a few hours in the ICU with her and all we did was talk Baseball. She could not speak, but she could follow the conversation. 

She loved the Cubs. I mean LOVED THEM. But she followed the game. Every morning starting spring training through the World Series my day started with chatting with her about the previous day. I will miss that quite a bit. Baseball was a bonding thing for us and it will change the way I approach the game as a fan forever.

Love ya Kay. Hook Em! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Man, so sorry and I know what you are going through. My Mother in Law, who was an amazing mother to me and an even better Grand Mother to the kids, passed two weeks ago (fuck cancer). I am loading up now to head to the funeral in Dallas which is tomorrow at the Veteran's Cemetery there. My son and me were able to go up and spend a few hours in the ICU with her and all we did was talk Baseball. She could not speak, but she could follow the conversation. 
She loved the Cubs. I mean LOVED THEM. But she followed the game. Every morning starting spring training through the World Series my day started with chatting with her about the previous day. I will miss that quite a bit. Baseball was a bonding thing for us and it will change the way I approach the game as a fan forever.
Love ya Kay. Hook Em! 

Sounds like a great lady. Sorry for your loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Just seeing this. Thank you for sharing, BGH, and that picture with your grandbaby is amazing. These stories are how our forefathers live on.

Hook'em, BGH Sr. Rest easy.

Thanks. Appreciate your sentiment.

Cool thing about that pic with the baby, is that he hasn't been really walking that much yet. As we were setting things up, my daughter had been talking with someone, with him standing next to her and holding her hand for balance. Next thing she knows, he lets go of her hand and takes about 8-10 steps over to the pics and the flag. She was just lucky to get a random pic of him doing it. 

(edit: Little dude looks a lot like me and I'm pretty much a spitting image of my Dad).

Edited by BillyGoatHill

On 12/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, BillyGoatHill said:

I'd love to see this.  You can blur yourself out . . .

In all seriousness, my condolences to you and your family.  It sounds like you had an awesome Dad and a great relationship.  I had the same with my Mom & Dad, and both carry me on years after their passing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd love to see this.  You can blur yourself out . . .

In all seriousness, my condolences to you and your family.  It sounds like you had an awesome Dad and a great relationship.  I had the same with my Mom & Dad, and both carry me on years after their passing.  

You probably wanted pics of the wife, but all you get are Dad & me....

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7

• 1 month later...

I can't tell you how many times this season I have wanted to call dad about a particular play or game only to remember he isn't there anymore to talk baseball with.

I imagine you have had similar feelings this season.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, troph said:
sounds like an amazing guy. thank you for sharing his life with us.

He was.
I was putting some things in order today regarding some of his paperwork and found the flash drive video that the funeral home put together for his service. I made it through then without getting dusty (I was main speaker and wanted to keep things smooth for my mom and fam) , but not so today.

Went to Sunday’s baseball game (with his UT ring) against Alabama and kept wishing he was sitting there beside me. 

(and @Valmy77, you hit the nail on the head. I'm super glad they are winning and I expect a great season, but it will still be a bit bittersweet no matter how they finish)

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 4