Texas vs Stanford @ 2pm on ABC

SDG

This is an atrocious basketball game. We need some actual recruits. I mean it's nice to not totally suck this year but we are extremely limited offensively. 

Maybe we can sneak Ingram back on the plane with us. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Our team is great defensively.  We are holding teams 20 points under their average. No different tonight. Stanford is averaging 70. Tonight? Maybe 50.  Stanford is also an ugly it up type of team. This is a really good win IMO.

This is a passable win. Baylor beat this team by 38 points. Stanford would be a bottom dweller in the B12. 

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Our team is great defensively.  We are holding teams 20 points under their average. No different tonight. Stanford is averaging 70. Tonight? Maybe 50.  Stanford is also an ugly it up type of team. This is a really good win IMO.

Agreed.  

I get the concern about the offense.  We don't shoot the ball very well and we're not big enough to get a lot of offensive rebounds and our guards can't penetrate.  I get all of that.

But what we have, already, is an outstanding team defense that creates a ton of turnovers.  Those extra possessions can make up for an awful lot of deficiencies in our offense.  And only one team has broken 65 points on us all season and that was Gonzaga.

And we should improve offensively throughout the conference schedule.

I think we're going to be very dangerous in March.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HookEm said:

its a "good" win in the respect that its the first win against a "real" team this season and it wasn't a loss.  other than that, there was nothing good or really good about it.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a passable win. Baylor beat this team by 38 points. Stanford would be a bottom dweller in the B12. 

Why even bring up Baylor? They’re still in a class well above Texas, sadly. 

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Some of you apparently haven’t followed Beard. This is how he likes to play. 

Ugly and defensive slugfests. I would get familiar with it. As long as it wins I’m fine with it. 

Correct. Beard’s offenses were never pleasing to watch at Tech. 

His approach is to win on the defensive end. 

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Ugly and defensive slugfests. I would get familiar with it. As long as it wins I’m fine with it. 

Does he like guys dribbling off their leg and pivoting in the lane for 4 seconds while surrounded?

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why even bring up Baylor? They’re still in a class well above Texas, sadly. 

Because they're on the schedule twice. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A coach only has so much impact. I don't have an issue with Beard or what we're doing stylistically - other than a couple things I might nitpick. I understand what his aim is and these guys execute it fairly well. 

We just don't have a roster that covers up the areas of the game that Beard prioritizes less. And that's okay. This program needs to be rebuilt a little bit. 

This team will compete in the B12 and not be a fun out come March. I'm not worried about going below .500 in conference or getting bounced by a 12 seed in the first round. I do think they have a pretty firm ceiling and that's mostly due to personnel. Kai Jones would be the best player on this team. It is what it is. 

This team is almost a microcosm of Schaefer's year 1. Offensively challenged but very difficult to score on. 

Beard and Schaefer run a very similar methodical, dribble-drive, motion offense. I think it takes the guards some time to adjust to this style of play as guard play was also extremely inconsistent in Schaefer's year 1 until the tournament. 

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This is the 5th Texas game I’ve watched. They need major work on offense - and that isn’t Beard’s strength. They aren’t physical enough in the paint on either side of the ball to not get outrebounded and can’t create ball movement with consistency. 

It’s early in a new system so it’ll get better, but blah right now. 

not only is it not Beard's strength, but i've been disappointed in the decision making we've shown this year, and there isn't a whole lot that a HC can do to get a bunch of 4th, 5th, and even 6th year players to start making better/quicker decisions. we squander all kinds of opportunities on offense- opportunities to drive, opportunities to draw help defenders, opportunities to set up a teammate for an open look. the chemistry is definitely not there yet, and i can only hope that that's partly to blame for these repeated "incorrect" decisions. 

• Like 1

I think Texas fans are so conditioned to expect poor team play that we don't really see the alternative as a possibility.  I'm liking the buy-in across the roster, at least defensively.  It will not be pretty on offense; even Tech's runner-up team wasn't "pretty" on offense.

It's hard to see less athleticism and a meandering approach to points and feel good, but that defense is legit.  My hope is that Disu and Mitchell can be decent enough in the paint as 6' 9" guys to deal with most front courts, save probably the hyper athletes Baylor tends to field.  Allen is a bit stuck in between positions but he can help for sure.  Beyond that, it's patchwork, who's hot and will always challenge the ball?  Carr is the biggest disappointment, I expected a lot more.  The rest, I can see us dealing with, and maybe the light will come on for him, too.   His last bucket was nice, and exactly what I expected.

The Gonzaga, Seton Hall, and Stanford games have been just what we needed as a fan base to get our expectations a bit more normalized. 

When all the transfers came, and the preseason rankings went into the stratosphere, I made a comment that this team is like an NBA team that goes out and signs some of the best players who never made the playoffs, then expect that team to win the NBA championship. It doesn't matter how good those players seem to be for their terrible teams, simply bringing them together is not the same as a true all star team. Also, Chris Beard has his limitations just like every coach does.

At one time I had very high expectations for the Texas basketball program. I still do, eventually, but for right now I have only one wish. The second weekend of the tournament. That's still a heck of an accomplishment. Only 16 teams get there, obviously. But it's been such a ridiculous drought with teams that have had oodles of talent. 

I think the thing I like the most is that the players play hard, and if they don't, Beard knows how to get it out of them. Not to throw shade at Barnes, but in his later years at Texas he would break down his teams mentally. HIs best teams he was able to build them back up again, but many of his teams simply didn't get it together after being broken down. With Smart, I was just miserable watching his teams pretty much from year 1. I was always more surprised at whatever successes he achieved as a head coach than I was with the failures. The failures simply became the expectation. Such a disappointment after what he did at VCU. 

With Beard I feel like he's doing the same thing at Texas he did at Texas Tech. And yeah, watching Texas Tech wasn't always a completely enjoyable activity. But those teams always played hard. And he actually had tournament success. I watch UH play under Kelvin Sampson some. Whatever else I can say about the guy that's negative, his teams always played ridiculously hard, at both OU and Indiana, and now UH. Beard has that same kind of quality. 

There's a decent chance the offense under Beard is always going to be akin to watching paint dry. He may never litter the roster with NBA players the way Barnes did (and does at Tennessee) or Smart, too. But basketball is all about the tournament in many ways. I'm hopeful that Beard can fashion together a roster that can make deep runs in the tournament and possibly bring home a championship. For now, as long as the team continues to improve, that's going to be enough. And I do feel like they're improving. I do like what Disu can bring on both ends of the floor. 

The conference looks tough. I haven't seen anything that makes me think Texas is going to legitimately challenge Baylor and KU for the conference title in either the regular season or the tournament. But we'll be tested a bunch. I'm looking forward to that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I really thought we'd shoot better but not great because we'd have more options which would spread the floor a bit but holy moly I didn't think it would be this bad.

the biggest disappointment has been Carr by a mile.  the guy is fairly meh to be honest.  I assumed he'd be much quicker than he is.

Carr averaged 19+ pts (very good), 4.9 ast (very good), and 4.0 reb (very good) in the Big 10 last year. his regression is equal parts puzzling and frustrating. you really can't average 5+ ast/gm without being a great passer/facilitator, and yet he has not approached being that this year. honestly, freshman J'Covan >>> Carr as a facilitator and passer. Carr has been a total flop thus far. very disappointing. still, i hold out hope that can eventually tune in and turn on, and become the high impact player he was supposed to be. if he does, it will take us to the next level. it would be a total game changer. 

Edited by shadow_operative

Whatever the opposite of team "chemistry" is, this team has it in spades on the offensive end of the court. Every trip down it seems like its the first time those five players have been on the court together. And it doesn't really matter which 5 we throw out there. But our D will keep us in most games so we just have to hope they practice like mfers and improve their offensive game to at least a remedial level.  

We're not just struggling on offense; some guys, especially the guards, are regressing. It could just be a poor schematic fit with Beard, but good coaches make it work better than he has to this point. Hopefully Beard gets things rolling by the tournament, but we don't have a Culver or Zhaire Smith on this roster to save him. Pessimism and déjà vu are starting to creep in again for me

Beard has the team playing very hard. Like I said earlier this week, it is likely that the extra exertion and short rope is making it tough for players to get into a groove. We have some good shooters on this team. It isn’t like Carr just suddenly forgot how to score.  Either it is a personal problem like conditioning or he isn’t used to the scheme yet.

I was actually really impressed with Askew today. I thought his defense was outstanding.