Marvel's Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

mdmost

Oh thaaat's who Sam Raimi is? That makes a bit more sense of the movie to me. I saw it last night, thought it was pretty good. Thought the pacing was kinda frantic, but I guess by now we should know wtf is going on. The other thing that threw me off was the dialogue and feel of the movie was kinda..... YA. The witchcraft stuff didn't help, but kinda how they introduced conflict and figured out how to resolve it, felt "young". I understand it's a comic book movie, but I hadn't necessarily felt that way about previous Marvel movies. Could have been the teenager in the film too, not that she did bad, but it kinda softens the movie up. I think she's even younger than Peter Parker is supposed to be, or feels like it. 

It definitely didn’t have the swagger and weight of an Avengers movie.

somehow i'd forgotten that sam raimi directed this.  remembered that factoid when bruce campbell popped up, and decided this was doctor strange in drag me to hell.  made it more enjoyable.  kept hearing ash fuck up "klaatu, barada, niktu" every time i saw the necronomicon darkhold.

I finally saw this and thought it was just ok.  I liked that Raimi broke out of the Marvel sameness in parts of it.

I'll agree that Wanda's motivation didn't make much sense when you was supposedly already chastened at the end of WV.  I was still rooting for her against the illuminati randos though.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

Just saw it. Didn't hate it but definitely mediocre. Really threw me off right from the beginning when Strange was saying "What, there are multiverses and they're real? Tell me more!"

Mother fucker, we just watched you in the latest Spiderman literally bring people in and out of multiverses.

He forgot all of that due to the final spell in that movie.  IIRC that movie he when asked if the multiverse was real by Peter Parker he answered “apparently” indicating that he did not know that it was true before they fucked up that first spell.  If he forgot everything related to Peter he also forgot his discovery about the multiverse.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 7:29 AM, WBT said:

I finally saw this and thought it was just ok.  I liked that Raimi broke out of the Marvel sameness in parts of it.

I'll agree that Wanda's motivation didn't make much sense when you was supposedly already chastened at the end of WV.  I was still rooting for her against the illuminati randos though.

Randos?

• Like 1

Definitely appears be a polarizing.

I liked it, but agree that Wanda's motivation just seemed weak and unjustified given the resolution we saw in WV.  But it's just a movie so I can roll with it.

Someone earlier commented that it seemed very YA, and i think the music choices had a lot to do with that, as much as any of the plot points and dialog.

Speaking of music, one scene....

Spoiler

...I didn't love, was the Strange vs. Strange music note battle.  Seems like someone had an idea that this would be cool, and it just didn't come through on the screen and probably should have hit the cutting room floor.  I'm okay with the idea of it being something other than just a standard magic battle or hand-to-hand combat, but this scene just really didn't work IMO, and I actually did want to like it when I saw what was going on.  But it's just a minor quibble, didn't ruin the movie for me or anything.

Edited by utee94

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I really liked the cameos and the dynamic of the "good guys" getting straight up slaughtered in a way that you don't usually see in these movies, since they had a vehicle in which it did not ultimately matter or affect the universe we have been following. I'm still confused though by Wanda Maximoff. She's the "bad guy" in this one but was an Avenger and we're not supposed to completely write her off. I get the trauma she's experienced, but I feel they've leaned too heavily on the "overly emotional woman" trope with her character. I love the actress. I assume she's out now with the original Avengers?

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I really liked the cameos and the dynamic of the "good guys" getting straight up slaughtered in a way that you don't usually see in these movies, since they had a vehicle in which it did not ultimately matter or affect the universe we have been following. I'm still confused though by Wanda Maximoff. She's the "bad guy" in this one but was an Avenger and we're not supposed to completely write her off. I get the trauma she's experienced, but I feel they've leaned too heavily on the "overly emotional woman" trope with her character. I love the actress. I assume she's out now with the original Avengers?

Re: Wanda’s motivation.   Seems to me that everyone keeps forgetting the corrupting influence of the Darkhold.  Yes, she reaches some emotional resolution for her grief for Vision near the end of WV, but then the wild card of the Darkhold falls into her lap.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Re: Wanda’s motivation.   Seems to me that everyone keeps forgetting the corrupting influence of the Darkhold.  Yes, she reaches some emotional resolution for her grief for Vision near the end of WV, but then the wild card of the Darkhold falls into her lap.

Yeah, she spent a year in isolation with the Darkhold.  That was why she did what she did. 

24 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

This is the correct answer. The Darkhold was made and copied in every universe before she existed to corrupt her so that she could rule/destroy the multiverse. It almost worked. In the end, she destroyed the thing in every universe to stop herself, as well as any other her

In that case, they really didn't spend enough time setting up just how mind-altering the Darkhold is.  Our first introduction to its evil is in this movie, and it's resolved in this movie, but we've had seven years of other movies and TV shows to get to know Wanda and believe she's a good person who should be above such corruption, especially because of the resolution/redemption we saw in WV.

I get it that this is the storyline they chose to write, it's just not believable to me, based on a ton of other history.

And now because of her slaughter of hundreds (thousands?) of innocents, there can never be a redemption arc for Wanda now, in our main universe, that I would accept, if that's ever Marvel/Disney's intent.  Just as there was never a redemption arc I would have accepted for Kylo Ren, after he murdered the greatest character in movie history, Han Solo.

But again, it's a minor quibble for me.  I still really enjoyed the movie.  :)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, utee94 said:

we've had seven years of other movies and TV shows to get to know Wanda and believe she's a good person who should be above such corruption

Wanda dropped her goodness faster than she dropped her Sokovian accent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been thinking about that scene with the Illuminati, and specifically Captain Britain or whatever her name is.

Her friends & colleagues are getting murdered left and right. Would she really be smirking, and quipping "I can do this all day"?

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, utee94 said:

Definitely appears be a polarizing.

I liked it, but agree that Wanda's motivation just seemed weak and unjustified given the resolution we saw in WV.  But it's just a movie so I can roll with it.

Someone earlier commented that it seemed very YA, and i think the music choices had a lot to do with that, as much as any of the plot points and dialog.

Speaking of music, one scene....

Hide contents

...I didn't love, was the Strange vs. Strange music note battle.  Seems like someone had an idea that this would be cool, and it just didn't come through on the screen and probably should have hit the cutting room floor.  I'm okay with the idea of it being something other than just a standard magic battle or hand-to-hand combat, but this scene just really didn't work IMO, and I actually did want to like it when I saw what was going on.  But it's just a minor quibble, didn't ruin the movie for me or anything.

This was the scene (the music notes) that jumped the shark for me. What a mediocre movie.