Stillwater

Harrison Bergeron

Really great movie. Stuck in a weird place between too complex for 90% but the "critics" feel like they have to carry water for the Innocence Fraud movement.

Long but a lot of complex emotional devices and calling key questions on a complex world. Ending sucks but communicated.

(will be hated by the Step Brothers XVI audience)

• 2 months later...

Interesting take. I thought the ending was pretty much the entire movie in a nutshell. It spoke volumes. Here's my take....

At the end of the film, the daughter is sitting on the porch and says (and I'm paraphrasing) "Man, Oklahoma looks exactly the same as it always did. Nothing has changed'. The camera does a tight shot of Damon and he responds 'No, it looks very different to me'. 

The movie was really about taking this white guy from Oklahoma out of his comfort zone and then seeing that change he encounters along the way. 

If you remember the day the daughter got a day pass from prison and spends the day at the flat, the French woman asks why she came to France. The daughter responds by saying she pretty much just wanted to get out of Oklahoma, as far as she could go. That seems logical considering she's young, a lesbian and most likely on the liberal/more adventurous side. She probably is not particularly keen on her conservative hometown and finds it pretty much the same despite being gone 6 + years. 

Matt Damon, however, is the complete opposite. He's a 100% Oklahoma guy, football fan, construction/oil rig worker, high school dropout with a criminal past. He most likely would have never visited France had his daughter not been there. He was totally out of his element and it forced him to reexamine certain aspects of his life. 

For example, one thing I noticed is that he was working construction in France. How did he get that job? Remember when the man was looking at photographs and said the French were having the same issues with Africans that the Americans were having with Mexicans? And the French woman refused to continue because he was racist? Damon didn't care because 'I work with guys like that back in Oklahoma'. 

Now what's interesting is that a few months later, Damon has the labor job. There's no way he had a proper working visa. He didn't have an EU passport, he wasn't married and he had a record. Very little chance he would get legal paperwork for a construction job. So now HE'S the Mexican......doesn't speak the language, is working a low paying gig, and is doing so under the table. This is one way he is forced to reexamine the world around him. 

I don't know, I thought the film was pretty deep. Matt Damon nailed the role. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

IIRC, the Stillwater songs were co-written by Nancy Wilson and Peter Frampton.

Nancy Wilson, Cameron Crowe, and Peter Frampton all have writing credits. Peter Frampton didn’t have anything to do with Fever Dog or Love Comes and Goes, probably their best two songs. And, seriously, who do you think contributed more to those compositions? Nancy or Cameron?

350B520D-5E35-4413-B240-A37C5F4FC451.thumb.jpeg.a274de32d75fa1dd1dd8d3ef3c9a5c7e.jpeg