Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

Lawrence Stroll is the closest I've ever seen in real life, to a Bond Villain.  The way he looks, the way he talks, the way he dresses.

Also. he's a really evil rich guy who sucks.

Total Bond villain, I'm tellin' ya.

I'm sure it would shock you to know he knew Jeffrey Epstein...

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm sure it would shock you to know he knew Jeffrey Epstein...

Epstein looks like an evil Bond villain's bookkeeper.

Edit-- I thought you were referring to Bobby Epstein... :)

Edited by utee94

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Big Stroll (and Ecclestone, and a few others tied to F1) were on Epstein's flight logs.

Epstein was the pimp for the supervillians.

Edited by Chewbacca

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's interesting, when you google Bobby Epstein, a lot of Jeffrey Epstein stuff comes up too. 

Stroll looks like Blofeld. Bobby looks like Squidward.

Warning: Cannot be unseen.

03QNA1-INYT-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&

AAAABZWNHQCtBt6EeCCjz_YCnpft8CE769OPzkyG

Edited by wood

Just now, Chewbacca said:

So just like that, RBR stops their engine development program?  All the people they hired are thrilled about that, I'm sure.

In a few years. And I'm sure many of those people can be placed in the new program. Those who don't will likely have advanced their career prospects considerably by working for years in an F1 race team's engine program.

They have to have a new engine in 2026 anyway. I think this was RBR's fallback plan ever since before the split with Renault. The rumors have certainly been out their linking them to Porsche for at least that long.

Just now, wood said:

In a few years. And I'm sure many of those people can be placed in the new program. Those who don't will likely have advanced their career prospects considerably by working for years in an F1 race team's engine program.

They have to have a new engine in 2026 anyway. I think this was RBR's fallback plan ever since before the split with Renault. The rumors have certainly been out their linking them to Porsche for at least that long.

Oh, don't get me wrong, this is a better move for RB than developing in-house (and maybe McLaren, too), just saying if I was hired for their new engine development division, this kinda cuts you off at the knees even though it doesn't take effect for a few years.

From the article:

... this will result in substantial economies of scale between Lambo, McLaren and Porsche. This would create the world´s strongest sports car group.

According to those in the know, Audi is bidding for McLaren Cars and for the F1 unit, said to be worth around £1 billion. Jörg Astalosch, 49, is the designated chief liaison officer in the Audi-McLaren talks. Previously in charge of Ital Design (also an Audi satellite), the former confidant of VW Group supremo Ferdinand Piech started his new job in October.

Audi and Porsche are likely to fuse the F1 R&D work while retaining different set-ups and visual identities. One scenario suggests that Audi/McLaren will partner with Porsche/Red Bull to fight Ferrari and Mercedes in the upcoming hybrid/sustainable fuels era.

3 hours ago, wood said:

So ...

Audi --> McLaren, Porsche --> Red Bull?

Sweet, now I get like a quadruple shot of hate for RBR. They just keep piling it on.

If Audi gets McLaren that's a home run for them though. I hate to see McLaren without Mercedes power, but que sera.

Alright Wood, Anton and others with inside information and far more intelligence than me (Although, I did get to see the shit show F1 race in Dallas in 1984 as the heat basically melted the track and got to watch Nigel Mansell collapse as he tried to push his broken down hoopdie Lotus across the finish line!

I am fairly up to speed on the changes for this year, but how do you experts see them impacting the teams this next year? Another Hamilton-Verstappen duel to the end? Does anyone have the tech knowledge to test Mercedes and Red Bull?

Is HAAS still going to be a shit show?

It's nice because no one really knows till the cars hit the track in anger. I always love new regs for this reason. So much more interesting.

That said, the chances are Mercedes and Red Bull will be the two strongest, with Ferrari, Alpine and McLaren certainly having the potential to win races. I do hope Haas is better. The essentially wrote off last year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

It's nice because no one really knows till the cars hit the track in anger. I always love new regs for this reason. So much more interesting.

That said, the chances are Mercedes and Red Bull will be the two strongest, with Ferrari, Alpine and McLaren certainly having the potential to win races. I do hope Haas is better. The essentially wrote off last year.

Yeah, I agree with this whole post.  Always interesting with big reg changes - it just introduces a(nother) chance for a team to find a loop hole or an 'outside the box' (man, I hate that overused phrase) solution.

Alright Wood, Anton and others with inside information and far more intelligence than me (Although, I did get to see the shit show F1 race in Dallas in 1984 as the heat basically melted the track and got to watch Nigel Mansell collapse as he tried to push his broken down hoopdie Lotus across the finish line!
I am fairly up to speed on the changes for this year, but how do you experts see them impacting the teams this next year? Another Hamilton-Verstappen duel to the end? Does anyone have the tech knowledge to test Mercedes and Red Bull?

At some level, we don’t know.

But on another, the teams that have the best correlation from CAD -> wind tunnel -> track will be in the best shape. Mercedes is typically the best here. Red Bull is obviously good too, but typically not quite on the level of Mercedes. Ferrari I think just got a new wind tunnel, so we are yet to see how their correlation will be with it.

There is a budget cap, but the teams with efficient development (related to above) will still be in the best shape.

Power unit wise, the manufacturers are having to build them for use with E10 this year. Since E10 has less energy density, it needs more fuel flow, and the combustion chambers will have to be reshaped a bit. They can gain some power back with more aggressive engine tuning as well, since E10 does have a higher octane rating too.

All that said, it is possible that someone could step up and challenge, but for my money I’ll still take Mercedes’ at the top, with Ferrari and Red Bull just behind. The aero regulations are actually pretty tight, so I don’t know that we will see all that much innovation. I don’t know for sure, but I’m excited to see the cars.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

But on another, the teams that have the best correlation from CAD -> wind tunnel -> track will be in the best shape. Mercedes is typically the best here. Red Bull is obviously good too, but typically not quite on the level of Mercedes. Ferrari I think just got a new wind tunnel, so we are yet to see how their correlation will be with it.

This is true, but with the wind tunnel being limited, the real secret sauce the past few years has been the chassis test bench. Mercedes was way in front of everyone with that, huge part of their dominance. One of those areas where well spent $$$ really made a difference.

Edited by G650
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 12:30 AM, Lidig8r said:

No way to really know who might come up with some awesome interpretation of the rules that gives them an advantage. I don't anticipate huge changes in the pecking order, but who knows? Re: Haas, my prediction is that they'll be somewhere between where they are now, which is 'complete and utter dogshit', and what they used to be, which is 'decent to start the season, but then gets left behind as everyone out-develops them'.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, utee94 said:

Yeah they wrote off last year with specific intent to focus on this year.  They desperately need that to pay off for them. 

The problem for them is that multiple other teams basically wrote off most or even all of 2021 as well.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

OK.  BUT... there's only so much of the band, that they can get back together...

Yep. Brawn, maybe. Who else?

But then, they raided that dream staff back then from other teams, taking their stars at that time. He might have a mind to try the same thing again.

So first McLaren and now Ferrari rumored to be going with pull rod suspension. Interesting.

Seeing some stuff about this today.

Pullrod is harder to get to do what you want it to do, but since they now cannot raise the rocker mounts for a pushrod setup as high as they used to be able to, using it may be too big of a net negative, aero-wise.

Interestingly, Ferrari was the last to use it.

711b9c5e86511e02edcbac5ff67924c6.jpg

dda1b1eee5151e623ad672e1155d93fa.jpg

I am obv not a Ferrari guy, but I actually did like F-138 a lot. It also used pullrod.

34ff774452704b91439ce2cc99c6f818.jpg

f1-british-gp-2013-felipe-massa-ferrari-f138-with-a-rear-pirelli-tyre-puncture.jpg

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Seeing some stuff about this today.

Pullrod is harder to get to do what you want it to do, but since they now cannot raise the rocker mounts for a pushrod setup as high as they used to be able to, using it may be too big of a net negative, aero-wise.

Interestingly, Ferrari was the last to use it.

711b9c5e86511e02edcbac5ff67924c6.jpg

dda1b1eee5151e623ad672e1155d93fa.jpg

I am obv not a Ferrari guy, but I actually did like F-138 a lot. It also used pullrod.

34ff774452704b91439ce2cc99c6f818.jpg

f1-british-gp-2013-felipe-massa-ferrari-f138-with-a-rear-pirelli-tyre-puncture.jpg

Yeah, didn't work out great for them though. McLaren also ran pull rod for a year a little while ago. I am interested to see how this goes with the new chassis though.

Supposedly Lewis is holding off making his retire/stay decision pending the outcome of the FIA review.  Will be interesting to see what they do if he does retire (I don't think he will)?  Drag Nico out of retirement?  Lord, Masi fucked up that last race.  It was good for TV drama, but terrible for the sport.

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

FIFY.

Maybe temporarily.  But arbitrarily making up new rules on the fly is going to drive people away, I think.  It left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Stewards being inconsistent is one thing (and that also needs to be fixed), but what Masi did was much, much worse, IMO.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe temporarily.  But arbitrarily making up new rules on the fly is going to drive people away, I think.  It left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Stewards being inconsistent is one thing (and that also needs to be fixed), but what Masi did was much, much worse, IMO.

It's in the Race Director's purview to due what he did. But re: changing the rules on the fly, there's a long history of that in F1, and it's done nothing but get bigger.

1 minute ago, wood said:

It's in the Race Director's purview to due what he did. But re: changing the rules on the fly, there's a long history of that in F1, and it's done nothing but get bigger.

I understand it's within his purview.  But he absolutely should not have done it.  How can teams strategize when the Race Director is just going to make up his own rules?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I understand it's within his purview.  But he absolutely should not have done it.  How can teams strategize when the Race Director is just going to make up his own rules?

The RD is always reticent to end the race under anything but a green flag if at all possible,. That's nopthing new. Everyone knew the restart was at least somewhat likely to happen. It was a tough call for Merc, and they just got caught with their pants down. Had they listened to Lewis earlier, he'd have won. Given the Merc's massive straightine speed advantage, I think even if they pit under the SC, they still win. Lewis easily pulling alongside Max on the straight, with no DRS and on old hard tires showed how big of an advantage that was. But I get it. It was a tough call and it didn't work out. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Supposedly Lewis is holding off making his retire/stay decision pending the outcome of the FIA review.  Will be interesting to see what they do if he does retire (I don't think he will)?

Fuck Hamilton. He can go off and sell hair product or some shit.