Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Watching The Silver War on YouTube about the 2016 title fight between Hamilton/Rosberg. About a third of the way into it and I'm loving it. Seems like it was just created by a fan, but well done in that it's going through each race and then putting in the interviews with the two drivers showing how the tension was rising.

There's also something weird with Hamilton. It was just five years ago, but he looks/sounds/acts much different to me now versus then.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

2012 was a little funky on some cars, but I will defend 2013.

We don’t get high-nose designs often, so it was unique. And they were slim, unlike the 90s chunkybois (looking at you, Benetton).

Early 90's are the GOAT cars.

hrtd151206026H.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Early 90's are the GOAT cars.

hrtd151206026H.jpg

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Won’t disagree there. Jordan 191 FTW.

Yep, and this ...

Sadly, I guess we'll never see a return of these simple, elegant, incredibly beautiful liveries, either.

52ff3c40315359d114a41d2b7cfea7d0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 1/12/2022 at 7:48 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Watching The Silver War on YouTube about the 2016 title fight between Hamilton/Rosberg. About a third of the way into it and I'm loving it. Seems like it was just created by a fan, but well done in that it's going through each race and then putting in the interviews with the two drivers showing how the tension was rising.

There's also something weird with Hamilton. It was just five years ago, but he looks/sounds/acts much different to me now versus then.

Yeah, this is an incredibly well done video considering it’s by a fan. Definitely worth the watch. Also, if you need an F1 fix between now and the end of March, I highly recommend doing the $3 per month F1 TV subscription. It has massive archives and all racing season going back into the 90s. I’m currently working through 2012 with plans to watch 2010 after that. 

It’s hard to judge because I’m not watching 2012 live, but I think it’s even better than 2021. The excitement of a bunch of different cars being capable of winning and how much the teams vary from track to track outs it above 2021 IMO. Both season were incredible and The Max and Lewis battle was great, but it would’ve been nice to have more than just two drivers with a chance of winning most weeks. 

14 hours ago, wood said:

OBTW, $9.95 Joe Saward is like the Geoff Ketchum or Chip Brown of F1. 

Now he says it looks like Todt to Ferrari isn't happening. Dude is such a fraud. The situation is fluid, of course. What a blowhard.

He reminds of a shitty beat reporter like Kurt Bohls. He’s been lapped about 100 times but still thinks he’s the pace setter. 

12 hours ago, wood said:

Maybe.

Seems like maybe that chart is not final. But at the very least it would seem that Bayer would be his boss.

Hard to imagine Masi doesn’t get at least some sort of demotion or reduction in responsibilities after all his fuck ups this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

D3B86FE5-210D-4510-ACED-2E956478F9CA.jpeg

Hugh Jass and Mike Hunt are rumoured to be new additions to the aerodynamic team.

I posted this meme on Autosport. Did you make it?

Someone posted a thread about it there entitled "Mike Krack signs for Asston Martin". Of course it was locked because Autosport mods are uptight assholes who consume copious bags of dicks daily. They'll probably delete that meme in the AM thread as well.

Edited by wood

Good stuff from VB. Translated from a podcast. I copied and pasted this from somewhere else so the added note is not mine.

host (oskari saari): you’ve been also following from very close distance someone who i think is the – well, let’s but it this way, one of the greatest f1 drivers of all time, who has been your teammate: lewis hamilton

vb: i can say that the greatest of all time

oskari: yeah?

vb: yes!

oskari: what makes him the greatest?

valtteri: i have never before, until a few days ago when i saw lewis (note: my understading is that this episode was filmed a little after the mercedes factory celebrations), said that to anyone, because it’s compeletly against the nature of a racing driver to say someone is better than you. so i told lewis that you’re the first and only person i’m saying this to, but you’re better than i am, and you’re the best in the world. and lewis is! he’s been through a hard childhood, he’s got the talent and natural ability towards this sport but he also works incredibly hard. when lewis is working he works so hard that he makes sure he stays in that top level. when you but together the talent, the experience and the the hard work he does, you have to say that he is in his own level compared to literally everyone else. of course i have my days when i can beat him which always feels great, but when you but together the whole season i simply can’t beat him. lewis’ stability over a season, how rarely he has bad weekends and how he can always maximize every situation - you know it’s always about very small things but the stability is where he is a step forward. maybe it’s about having better nerves or something else, but to me he is in a different level than anyone else in that paddock.

oskari: i don’t think anyone is in a better place than you to observe these things, so we’ll take your word for it. i think many would also become very demoralisized by that but to me it’s seems that for you it’s the opposite.

valtteri: yeah i mean it did take many years, literally it was a couple of days ago that for the first time i could really admit it to myself and also tell lewis that. the first years i was really fighting that and i strained myself a lot - thinking you know, it can’t be, i can beat everyone, but to me now i’ve just had to accept that that’s how it goes. i think in every sport there has to be someone who is the greatest of all time and it’s obviously not me, but it has not always been far off you know. lewis also told me that there has been days where he has felt that he has performed in a really good level but still didn’t beat me, and to me i can take positives from things like that. that you know, on my days no one can beat me but those days just simply aren’t everyday.

oskari: so the difference is over a very long season. do you think that in a way it’s inspiring having witnessed all of that from so closely?

valtteri: absolutely, and i have learned a lot. like i said it’s all about very small details and there is just certains things where he is a step ahead – specially with lewis on sundays he can always find some extra energy and power no matter the situation.

oskari: do you think that it has fed your hunger to be the best having witnessed how lewis does things?

valtteri: absolutely: as long as you are in this sport i think you can get better and find always something a little bit extra. i truly think that i can still get better even though i’m 32. so of course it’s still a dream to some day be the best. i also have to say that lewis did tell me that he has learned a lot from my driving as well. we have honestly quite similar driving styles, but of course still different, and many times there has been some corner where he has never managed to beat my time but gotten really close, and he said that if he wouldn’t have seen how i do places like that on the track he wouldn’t have been able to get a great time in quali, so i think our teamwork has been great in that sense also.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Good stuff from VB. Translated from a podcast. I copied and pasted this from somewhere else so the added note is not mine.

host (oskari saari): you’ve been also following from very close distance someone who i think is the – well, let’s but it this way, one of the greatest f1 drivers of all time, who has been your teammate: lewis hamilton

vb: i can say that the greatest of all time

oskari: yeah?

vb: yes!

oskari: what makes him the greatest?

valtteri: i have never before, until a few days ago when i saw lewis (note: my understading is that this episode was filmed a little after the mercedes factory celebrations), said that to anyone, because it’s compeletly against the nature of a racing driver to say someone is better than you. so i told lewis that you’re the first and only person i’m saying this to, but you’re better than i am, and you’re the best in the world. and lewis is! he’s been through a hard childhood, he’s got the talent and natural ability towards this sport but he also works incredibly hard. when lewis is working he works so hard that he makes sure he stays in that top level. when you but together the talent, the experience and the the hard work he does, you have to say that he is in his own level compared to literally everyone else. of course i have my days when i can beat him which always feels great, but when you but together the whole season i simply can’t beat him. lewis’ stability over a season, how rarely he has bad weekends and how he can always maximize every situation - you know it’s always about very small things but the stability is where he is a step forward. maybe it’s about having better nerves or something else, but to me he is in a different level than anyone else in that paddock.

oskari: i don’t think anyone is in a better place than you to observe these things, so we’ll take your word for it. i think many would also become very demoralisized by that but to me it’s seems that for you it’s the opposite.

valtteri: yeah i mean it did take many years, literally it was a couple of days ago that for the first time i could really admit it to myself and also tell lewis that. the first years i was really fighting that and i strained myself a lot - thinking you know, it can’t be, i can beat everyone, but to me now i’ve just had to accept that that’s how it goes. i think in every sport there has to be someone who is the greatest of all time and it’s obviously not me, but it has not always been far off you know. lewis also told me that there has been days where he has felt that he has performed in a really good level but still didn’t beat me, and to me i can take positives from things like that. that you know, on my days no one can beat me but those days just simply aren’t everyday.

oskari: so the difference is over a very long season. do you think that in a way it’s inspiring having witnessed all of that from so closely?

valtteri: absolutely, and i have learned a lot. like i said it’s all about very small details and there is just certains things where he is a step ahead – specially with lewis on sundays he can always find some extra energy and power no matter the situation.

oskari: do you think that it has fed your hunger to be the best having witnessed how lewis does things?

valtteri: absolutely: as long as you are in this sport i think you can get better and find always something a little bit extra. i truly think that i can still get better even though i’m 32. so of course it’s still a dream to some day be the best. i also have to say that lewis did tell me that he has learned a lot from my driving as well. we have honestly quite similar driving styles, but of course still different, and many times there has been some corner where he has never managed to beat my time but gotten really close, and he said that if he wouldn’t have seen how i do places like that on the track he wouldn’t have been able to get a great time in quali, so i think our teamwork has been great in that sense also.
Bottas gets shit on a lot for how good he is. I'll be surprised if Russell can match what VB did at MB.

18 minutes ago, faps said:

The F1 '97 Playstation game is why I am an F1 fan.

Yeah I had it on PC. In the few moments of college I wasn't chasing women and pounding liquor, I could be found on the computer shoveling Chinese take away in my mouth and playing F1 97.

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The problem is that Bottas is more steady in a car that should be dominant. Bottas in first? He is going to stay in first. Bottas in seventh? He is going to stay in seventh.

How is that a problem relating to what Chewbacca said

https://racingnews365.com/f1-makes-major-changes-to-weekend-schedule-for-2022

Big changes to weekend schedule. Condensing everything into 3 days instead of 4, and changing the FP2 times to be 2 hours later and back to 90 minutes each for FP1/2.

Continuing our series that covers amendments to Formula 1's rules as the sport heads into its 'new era', this week Dieter Rencken examines the hows and whys of changes to the Sporting Regulations, in particular Grand Prix weekend schedules, which differ markedly from what went before. Readers planning to attend Grands Prix should note the changes - as these could affect their travel plans - as should ardent TV viewers.

F1's calendar grows further with 23 races planned in 2022

Since Liberty Media in 2017 acquired control of the Formula One Group and listed it on NASDAQ, the primary focus of F1's commercial masters has been on growing the sport's bottom line in order to boost the FWONK share price. Another imperative is to reduce costs under the budget cap, and the tighter the timing, the greater the travel, clearing and transportation costs.

The easiest way of achieving Liberty's objective is through calendar expansion: more races equal more in hosting fees, increased TV offerings and greater visibility for sponsors and trackside advertisers – hence 2022's record 23-race calendar. There are, though, practical limitations to such growth, particularly if add-ons are staged outside Europe given the flipside is more travel, and less 'me' time for hardworking F1 staff.

Indeed, during triple-headers, of which there are two in 2022 - three if the Bahrain test followed by two back-to-back Middle East races is factored into the equation - mean long-suffering personnel don't get to see loved ones for a month (or more) unless drastic measures are taken to redress the (im)balance. Equally, F1 is losing valuable expertise and knowledge through folk no longer being prepared to travel non-stop.

In addition, where flyaway triple headers - such as Russia, Singapore and Japan on the bounce - are listed it is virtually impossible to guarantee freight will make it to the next destination and be unpacked timeously. Indeed, last year delays caused by inclement weather between the Mexican and Brazilian rounds meant some hapless teams were wrongfooted during the latter event. F1 knows it got lucky, but at some stage fortune will run dry.

In effect the choices facing FOG were no calendar expansion, or a more compact format to 'buy' the sport time between fixtures. It is obvious which option Liberty preferred, with the most logical format being a reduction in 'track days'…

What will the new F1 weekend schedule look like?

F1 historically operated to four-day (Thursday-Sunday) schedules - and five days, namely Wednesday to Sunday, for Monaco - with the opening day in each case featuring media and administrative sessions and track activities commencing Fridays. From this year all events, including, crucially, the Principality's race, feature three-day schedules, with non-essential personnel not gaining paddock access on Thursdays.

Thus, no pitlane walkabouts for fans, with Monaco visitors being particularly hard hit...

The result is that Grand Prix weekends will start Friday morning, with ancillary stuff such as documentation, meetings and media sessions taking teams through to around midday depending upon specific timings for an event. Thereafter two free practice sessions - each of 90-minute duration and separated by at least two hours - will take place.

At most venues the first free practice session is expected to start at 13:00 local time, with FP2 run from 17:00 to 18:30. These sessions will be followed by further media activities and meetings/briefings, potentially keeping personnel trackside for 12 (or more) hours at a stretch. The good news - particularly for fans at events - is that F1 is reverting to two 90-minute sessions in place of 2021's two one-hour practices.

Then, according to the revised regulations, "a further free practice session (P3), lasting one hour and starting no less than seventeen-and-a-half hours after the end of P2, will take place on the day before the race", so from 12:00 on Saturday. The regulations continue: "The qualifying practice session will take place on the day before the race and start no less than two hours after the end of P3", so 15:00 (or later).

Qualifying follows the familiar structure and timings, so Q1 lasting 18 minutes with the bottom five cars eliminated (20 car entry), followed by a 15-minute Q2 session commencing seven minutes after the end of Q1. The final 10 cars will then go through to a Q3 of 10-minute duration. The Grand Prix proper shall not start later than four hours before official sunset, so usually 15:00.

However, the regulations make provision for driver interaction with fans: "Within a one-hour period finishing no later than one hour and 30 minutes before P3, all drivers must be available for fan activities (including, but not limited to, autograph sessions and fan forums) for a maximum period of 15 minutes each within the hour."

Three days packed full of F1 action, on and off the track

Accordingly, a typical weekend schedule during the 2022 F1 season will be:

Friday
09:00 – Media/documentation/scrutineering
13:00-14:30 – FP1
15:00-16:00 – Team representative media session
17:00-18:30 – FP2
19:00 onwards – Media/briefings

Saturday
09:00-10:30 – Driver/fan interaction, autographs (each team minimum 15 minutes)
12:00-13:00 – FP3
15:00-16:00 – Qualifying
17:00 onwards – Media/briefings

Sunday
13:30 – Driver parade
15:00 – Race start
18:00 – Media

Note: exact timings will vary within permitted parameters, particularly for dusk/night races.

The bottom line is that F1 believes the revised formats will this year save at least 24 days – two days for Monaco and one per each of the 22 'traditional' Grands Prix, in turn potentially saving teams hotel costs while enabling most personnel to enjoy additional time off between races. The downside for promoters is that tourism potential is reduced a day (at least) per race weekend.

These 'off' days may not translate to domestic time - particularly where flyaways and back-to-backs are concerned - but should make for less interim hectic while permitting a modicum of relaxation. The flipside is that Liberty may well decide to grow calendars even further, arguing that three-day formats are the silver bullet to 25 or more events…

On 1/14/2022 at 8:33 PM, Chewbacca said:

I'll be surprised if Russell can match what VB did at MB.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Because staying in 7th in that car compared to the rest of the grid isn't "good."

15 hours ago, G650 said:

How is that a problem relating to what Chewbacca said

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

https://racingnews365.com/f1-makes-major-changes-to-weekend-schedule-for-2022

Big changes to weekend schedule. Condensing everything into 3 days instead of 4, and changing the FP2 times to be 2 hours later and back to 90 minutes each for FP1/2.

I'd be more excited if they got rid of sprint races. 

• Hook 'Em 1