Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So I watched some of the practice sessions. I think the cars look better than last year, but they are not near as "clean" as I thought they'd look. Still a whole lot of stuff going on all over the car. I don't think I like the addition of the inside wheel shroud over the front tires.

I will say Mercedes has killed it as far as identification of the drivers. LH with the yellow outline really pops and makes it easy to tell who it is. GR has the blue accent, which gets lost, but if you know LH has the yellow, it's easy to know the other one is GR. Aston Martin numbers are also easy to see.

I think as far as looks on track, Aston Martin is taking first place, although I haven't seen Williams on the screen yet. Ferrari and Alfa look pretty nice too. 

Unless there are uniform number styles and uniform placement, it's always going to be difficult to easily read numbers on these cars. I never even look for them, because they're in different places on each car. Some people use helmets as a differentiator. What I've found to be the easiest thing to do is learn which color camera pod corresponds with each team's drivers. It's easier than learning everyone's numbers. Black for the #1, yellow for the #2. It's usually pretty clear who the #1 & #2 drivers are for each team, and the camera pods are the easiest thing to spot. YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

When you see the Alpine naked it looks pretty spacious, too (and so do some others, I'm sure).

This is exactly why I think some teams are still hiding the true forms of their cars.

LQHfWxC.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

A couple people have used python to make some telemetry posts on Reddit, and the takeaway is Merc is sandbagging like crazy. Low engine mode, not even hitting the highest gear on some straights, lifting off the throttle early, etc.

they seem to be about even with Ferrari in the corners, which is obviously a bad sign for the rest of the teams based on their low drag concept, which should make them very fast on the straights when they turn the engines up. 

I've seen some comparisons of everyone's 'race sims' yesterday, but the problem with those is that apparently only 2 teams actually did race sims. The thing with any of these comparisons at this point is that nobody's really close to the limit yet, and you can't guage with any real accuracy how hard anyone is actually pushing. Merc may well end up quickest, but I don't think anyone really knows the true pecking order yet. There's just too much that's unknown at this point, about all sorts of things. The reporters at the track have much more info than the rest of us, yet they're still notorious for getting the pecking order wrong based on testing ... like when they predicted Ferrari would run away with the title and McLaren would be 9th or 10th a couple of years ago.

For example, most drivers do their fastest lap in their first or second lap, but Alonso did his 1:36 on the 6th lap because he was battling Stroll in the first and second laps of that first C3 stint (after Stroll blocked him and ruined a lap. If his 6th lap was quickest for that stint, then he surely wasn't pushing hard for what should have been his "fast" lap, etc, etc.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, wood said:

I've seen some comparisons of everyone's 'race sims' yesterday, but the problem with those is that apparently only 2 teams actually did race sims. The thing with any of these comparisons at this point is that nobody's really close to the limit yet, and you can't guage with any real accuracy how hard anyone is actually pushing. Merc may well end up quickest, but I don't think anyone really knows the true pecking order yet. There's just too much that's unknown at this point, about all sorts of things. The reporters at the track have much more info than the rest of us, yet they're still notorious for getting the pecking order wrong based on testing ... like when they predicted Ferrari would run away with the title and McLaren would be 9th or 10th a couple of years ago.

For example, most drivers do their fastest lap in their first or second lap, but Alonso did his 1:36 on the 6th lap because he was battling Stroll in the first and second laps of that first C3 stint (after Stroll blocked him and ruined a lap. If his 6th lap was quickest for that stint, then he surely wasn't pushing hard for what should have been his "fast" lap, etc, etc.

I definitely agree with all that, but I refuse to let it stop me from speculating wildly or reading every piece of information as a sign of  impending Merc dominance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I definitely agree with all that, but I refuse to let it stop me from speculating wildly or reading every piece of information as a sign of  impending Merc dominance. 

the truth hasn't stopped me before and it won't now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, wood said:

Unless there are uniform number styles and uniform placement, it's always going to be difficult to easily read numbers on these cars. I never even look for them, because they're in different places on each car. Some people use helmets as a differentiator. What I've found to be the easiest thing to do is learn which color camera pod corresponds with each team's drivers. It's easier than learning everyone's numbers. Black for the #1, yellow for the #2. It's usually pretty clear who the #1 & #2 drivers are for each team, and the camera pods are the easiest thing to spot. YMMV.

Same here, I just learn the camera pod colors for each driver.  For old/long term drivers it's already memorized, and by the end of the first weekend of racing I've typically dialed in on the new or recently swapped drivers.

Even my wife is able to follow it easily using this method... :)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m not sure if it’s just because I’ve paid more attention than ever so I already know what will be happening, but I’ve found this season of DTS much more boring than the previous three.

The Mazepin episode was nice confirmation that he and his father are total pieces of shit and we should all be glad they’re out of the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also RB brought some big updates today, including new sidepods and they are now the fastest by far and their onboards make them look extremely planted and balanced. They definitely look the best at the close of testing right now. 

Also RB told AMUS that their GPS data shows Merc is very fast in slow corners, which is a bad sign for the field because they should also be very fast on the straights once they turn their engines up. 

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure if it’s just because I’ve paid more attention than ever so I already know what will be happening, but I’ve found this season of DTS much more boring than the previous three.

The Mazepin episode was nice confirmation that he and his father are total pieces of shit and we should all be glad they’re out of the sport. 

Agree. I find myself not paying attention until the P1/Q1/Race footage begins. They should trend more and more towards the sport and a little less time on the personalities (off track at least). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also RB brought some big updates today, including new sidepods and they are now the fastest by far and their onboards make them look extremely planted and balanced. They definitely look the best at the close of testing right now. 

Also RB told AMUS that their GPS data shows Merc is very fast in slow corners, which is a bad sign for the field because they should also be very fast on the straights once they turn their engines up. 

It does seem like they (merc) really are having some issues that they still need to work out, though. I’m sure they will get there, but I don’t know that it will be by next weekend.

Of course, this kind of happened last year and in 2019, too.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It does seem like they (merc) really are having some issues that they still need to work out, though. I’m sure they will get there, but I don’t know that it will be by next weekend.

Of course, this kind of happened last year and in 2019, too.

Yeah, I think the worry about Merc sandbagging are a little over done. They have some shit to work through. But they do have the ability to do that, so they very well could come out on top. It's not forgone at this point though.

Doubtful. I think it's more likely Brown is doing Andretti a solid and giving Herta a chance for some time in a seat to gauge what he can do. I think he has to test an old car, not the current car.

Brown is one of the few that seems to want to get Andretti into the field, I dunno maybe it will help Andretti's application with the FIA if Herta shows he has the ability to drive an F1 car. But that's just me guessing.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah, I think the worry about Merc sandbagging are a little over done. They have some shit to work through. But they do have the ability to do that, so they very well could come out on top. It's not forgone at this point though.

Don’t believe @Anton Chigurh. He’s a Merc fan/Lewis Hamilton stan who’s toeing the company line. 

• Haha 1

Started DTS today. Amazing how much my goldfish brain forgets. Completely forgot lewis got 10 seconds at Silverstone. 

Didn't forget how it's hard to figure out who is a bigger cunt...Buxton or Horner. I'm pretty sure Horner and ginger spice wear the same riding gear when mounting their studs. 

• Like 2

At least Buxton was kept to a relative minimum this time, and to be honest, I didn’t really notice much fabricated stuff, fake rivalries etc, aside from the normal editing oddities.

They did leave a lot out, but in the end it wasn’t really stuff that would have changed the story, so I can understand, I guess. I think the actual F1 season was so strong on its own that they didn’t really have to add much BS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, Hawndoh said:

Doubtful. I think it's more likely Brown is doing Andretti a solid and giving Herta a chance for some time in a seat to gauge what he can do. I think he has to test an old car, not the current car.

Brown is one of the few that seems to want to get Andretti into the field, I dunno maybe it will help Andretti's application with the FIA if Herta shows he has the ability to drive an F1 car. But that's just me guessing.

Agree, & according to what I've been reading, it seems like Andretti might have a decent shot at admission. McLaren, Alpine, RBR, AT, and maybe Williams are apparently in favor of adding Andretti, and Haas could decide it.

Edited by wood

On 3/12/2022 at 7:06 PM, faps said:

I love Danny Ric, but if he has a shitty season could we see Herta take his spot next year or perhaps even mid-season?

i can't imagine they ditch Danny Ric midseason, isn't he making a literal fuckload of money / season? like wasn't he the 4th or 5th highest paid driver on the grid (yikes) last year

• Hook 'Em 1

seeing the gulf livery on the McLarens in Monaco on DTS make them look somehow even better. man those look amazing.

edit: holy shit, the Uralkali cut in e04 when the dad is threatening to stop financing? man. what a true, true piece of shit.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

O'ward is probably the most likely current Indy driver to end up as a short term stop gap in an F1 seat, but I would think a few F2 drivers and reserve drivers would get the call before him.

Indy just isn't that highly thought of in F1 circles.

13 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Danny seems kind of overrated.

This year the slate is clean. Lando had multiple years in an overdeveloped car. 

also, Lando might just be that good?  I hope they get their breaks sorted and compete for the front 

*this could also apply to red bull and will be interesting to see if Perez is closer this season as well for some of the same reasons. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

He doesn't have a superlicense just yet.

He has at least 30 points of the 40 needed from the last two years of Indy finishes.

If his Indy Lights championship gets to count he has 40, not sure if it counts due to COVID extensions or something, it is more than 3 years ago.

He could get up to ten points by running enough laps in a practice session if someone wanted to give him that chance.

And with his 30 points, given that he is a current Indy driver I think the FIA could grant him a super license if they want to.

5 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

He has at least 30 points of the 40 needed from the last two years of Indy finishes.

If his Indy Lights championship gets to count he has 40, not sure if it counts due to COVID extensions or something, it is more than 3 years ago.

He could get up to ten points by running enough laps in a practice session if someone wanted to give him that chance.

And with his 30 points, given that he is a current Indy driver I think the FIA could grant him a super license if they want to.

He doesn't sound like he is a fan of the superlicense system, for sure.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/oward-super-licence-rules-ridiculous-would-take-f1-option/7363511/

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

He doesn't have a superlicense just yet.

these things have a way of getting sorted

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

He doesn't sound like he is a fan of the superlicense system, for sure.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/oward-super-licence-rules-ridiculous-would-take-f1-option/7363511/

indy doesn't particularly want the same treatment as F2 because it doesn't want to be seen as on the F1 ladder. 

• Hook 'Em 1