Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wasn’t a fan of how they broke that race up into two episodes. 

Someone said upthread, the best story was the actual season, not the spice girls. 

Yeah I've always said they should approach it chronologically, covering  2 races per episode. Seems like that would be better in multiple ways. The way they do it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry for the DP.

Posting from Mexico City right now. The Checo effect can be seen just about anywhere you look. People everywhere in Checo/RBR gear. F1 and Checo billboards everywhere, etc. We got a guide to take us to Teotihuacan today, and he's a big F1 fan. We went to Lucha Libre last night, in the same place Lewis & the others went to. It was nuts. They really put on an amazing show (of acrobatics). Fearless, to put it mildly. Good times.

Cannot recommend MxC highly enough. Great city. Great people. GREAT food. Great architecture. We'll be back.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I hate the entire fucking Red Bull team. Bunch of crybaby assholes.

see, this is when i want a reddit style flair to know who your team is.

...i mostly say this because i hate it when MB or Lewis fans say they hate RB for that reason when MB is just the other side of that coin in basically every way.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I've always said they should approach it chronologically, covering  2 races per episode. Seems like that would be better in multiple ways. The way they do it sucks.

Seriously what’s the reasoning for the non chronological nature? In the first and second episode we watch the same race. Why not just give us those perspectives at the same time instead of having two full episodes of people walking around Bahrain

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Seriously what’s the reasoning for the non chronological nature? In the first and second episode we watch the same race. Why not just give us those perspectives at the same time instead of having two full episodes of people walking around Bahrain

I'm convinced they didn't have the film crews at ever single race and had to roll with what races they could bring film crews to. 

You know who I am interested to follow this season is Leclerc. 

He's not bad, but makes mistakes, seems to have some bad luck, and just kind of blends in. I think no matter what, he is fine this year. But if he doesn't score some podiums (assuming they have a capable car), then I think the next year will get very interesting. Last year he was the king of 4th place finishes.

I believe Ferrari has him under contract for years to come, but last year Sainz came in and immediately beat him (although Leclerc was in the lead most of the season). Again, likely no major drama with him this year, but seems like it could be on the horizon unless he makes a mark.

42 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Leclerc is a tidy little driver that has run into some bad luck in the past. Carlos is way better, though. Will definitely be pulling for the Smooth Operator to get some wins and maybe a WDC? 

Zero issue here. 

Leclerc just doesn't strike me as WDC material. Of course he is still young, but seems like he gets nerves and isn't aggressive enough.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You know who I am interested to follow this season is Leclerc. 

He's not bad, but makes mistakes, seems to have some bad luck, and just kind of blends in. I think no matter what, he is fine this year. But if he doesn't score some podiums (assuming they have a capable car), then I think the next year will get very interesting. Last year he was the king of 4th place finishes.

I believe Ferrari has him under contract for years to come, but last year Sainz came in and immediately beat him (although Leclerc was in the lead most of the season). Again, likely no major drama with him this year, but seems like it could be on the horizon unless he makes a mark.

4 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Leclerc is a tidy little driver that has run into some bad luck in the past. Carlos is way better, though. Will definitely be pulling for the Smooth Operator to get some wins and maybe a WDC? 

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Zero issue here. 

Leclerc just doesn't strike me as WDC material. Of course he is still young, but seems like he gets nerves and isn't aggressive enough.

These are some of the weirdest takes on Leclerc I’ve ever seen.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

These are some of the weirdest takes on Leclerc I’ve ever seen.

I don’t know shit and really only became a fan of F1 from playing the video games and then DTS. Can you elaborate? I find it super interesting the discussions about what makes a good vs not good driver.

Also I think this is my first post in an F1 thread despite lurking for a while. I don’t portend to know anything so please no one get stabby if I say stupid things.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t know shit and really only became a fan of F1 from playing the video games and then DTS. Can you elaborate? I find it super interesting the discussions about what makes a good vs not good driver.

Also I think this is my first post in an F1 thread despite lurking for a while. I don’t portend to know anything so please no one get stabby if I say stupid things.

Charles won F3 and F2 in his first years in the series and was one of the highest rated juniors in a long time. He then wiped the floor with Ericsson at Sauber in 2018 and put that car in places it had no business being. He then beat a fairly on form Vettel in his first year at Ferrari and absolutely dominated Vettel the next year and got multiple podiums in the 6th best car on the grid. He got beat in the points by Sainz last year but out-qualified him and finished more races ahead.

Most of him not winning the points was bad luck. For instance, Sainz crashed in quali at Hungary while Leclerc had a solid performance, but that just meant Charles got caught in the crash while Sainz scored a podium because he was too far back on the grid to be caught in the crashes. That race alone was about a 25 point flip and they finished the season 7 points apart. 

He definitely didn’t have his best year last year and still has some stuff to figure out, including being more consistent, but he has one of the highest ceilings of all the drivers on the grid.

I think he’ll look a lot better and be able to create a bigger gap to Sainz with a better car. At COTA, the McLarens and Ferraris had similar pace. Charles outqualified the other 3 by 2 or 3 tenths and then gapped them all in the race by about 30 seconds. Yet, in the final standings he only gained 2 or 4 points on them because 4th was the highest he could possibly finish. If he has a car capable of winning races, that same performance would be a 7-12 point gap. He did something similar at Silverstone, Spain, and Imola (before the red flag). 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Horner and Marko being absolute dildoes predates Mercedes domination.

Yeah, I think some newer fans don't appreciate this and see everything through a Mercedes v. RB lens. It's quite possible, nay laudable, to outright hate RB and everything remotely associated with them, wishing them nothing but doom and unmitigated failure.

• Like 1

LeClerc definitely has more pace than Sainz, but is just erratic. It's hard to say if he will put it all together or not.

I will say as much as I hate Ferrari, I would not be upset if Sainz does well this year.

Yeah, Carlos has a cooler head on him and is able to maximize the skills he does have much more efficiently, because he’s a Smooth Operator.

We will see if Charles can tame his.

Also agree that they are pretty likable these days.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ok, how much is going to suck if we've been looking forward to all of this and the teams comes out in the same exact order as before the new regs were put in place. 

Mercedes breezes to another title, Red Bull is competitive, but slower, McLaren and Ferrari continue to battle each other and the rest of the midfield just keeps on, keeping on. 

I guess at the very least we will see if Russell can battle Hamilton at all.

Ok, how much is going to suck if we've been looking forward to all of this and the teams comes out in the same exact order as before the new regs were put in place. 
Mercedes breezes to another title, Red Bull is competitive, but slower, McLaren and Ferrari continue to battle each other and the rest of the midfield just keeps on, keeping on. 

Depends… as a Hamilton / Merc fan, I will love it. Others, not so much.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Depends… as a Hamilton / Merc fan, I will love it. Others, not so much.

I'm a huge Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Golden State, Patriots, Chiefs, fan too.  

Just kidding, don't stab me bro.

If nothing else, it looks like Haas might not be the backmarker this year. Otherwise, I'm not getting my hopes up for a shakeup.

As far as Red Bull vs Mercedes go I’m team Merc all the way. Last year’s finale alone by itself was bullshit.

Team that I’ve actually taken a liking to is Mclaren and Lando.
Sounds like McLaren has a fast car, but they are having brake cooling issues. How they get that sorted asap.

33 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

As far as Red Bull vs Mercedes go I’m team Merc all the way. Last year’s finale alone by itself was bullshit.

I may actually be a bigger Zak Brown fan than either driver. Really likable and down to earth in my eyes. And I really like DR.

Lando? He's ok. There's just something about him that just rubs me the wrong way a little bit. Can't quite put my finger on it. But if I had to pick a team that I most wanted to win, it would be McLaren right now. 

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
36 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Sounds like McLaren has a fast car, but they are having brake cooling issues. How they get that sorted asap.

Pffft. That's dumb. It's racing. It's about going as fast as you can. Who cares about brakes?