Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

48 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Lulz

image.png

Don't care what anyone says, I like Bottas. Is he a great driver? Nah. pretty good. But something about him cracks me up. 

It's like he was the neglected child at Mercedes despite doing nothing wrong. He just wasn't mom's favorite.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Don't care what anyone says, I like Bottas. Is he a great driver? Nah. pretty good. But something about him cracks me up. 

It's like he was the neglected child at Mercedes despite doing nothing wrong. He just wasn't mom's favorite.

He is my favorite driver.  Something tells me if he had been born 70 years earlier he would have killed a fuck ton of Russians and Germans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The new tyre rule should be fascinating. I wonder if Ferrari put Sainz on softs to see if he can beat Verstappen off the start and the put Leclerc on the Mediums.  If Ferrari put Leclerc on mediums and Max is on softs, then Max will almost definitely steal the lead right away. My guess is Ferrari will put both on softs. Bahrain is usually a two stopper but maybe RB have Checo try a one stopper with mediums to hards. 

No matter what, this new rule definitely makes the races a lot more interesting. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

The new Ferrari PU is showing immense traction and acceleration out of corners, which will help a lot on race starts too.
So with the new PU rules, how does it work for clients? Clearly the Mercedes PU is not up to par right now and is about to be frozen. Are customers just tied in based on their respective contracts, or are they tied in otherwise? In other words, do McLaren, Aston and others have to suck ass along with Mercedes, or can they break away when their contracts allow?

The new tyre rule should be fascinating. I wonder if Ferrari put Sainz on softs to see if he can beat Verstappen off the start and the put Leclerc on the Mediums.  If Ferrari put Leclerc on mediums and Max is on softs, then Max will almost definitely steal the lead right away. My guess is Ferrari will put both on softs. Bahrain is usually a two stopper but maybe RB have Checo try a one stopper with mediums to hards. 
No matter what, this new rule definitely makes the races a lot more interesting. 

Cliffs notes on the new rule?

They can switch when their contract runs out if they wish.

After thinking though, some of this Merc stuff may be coincidental.

Merc, Aston, Williams, and McLaren are all running very compromised right now.

Apparently raising the ride height to help with proposing adds a ton of drag, and Merc/AM/Williams are all having to do this AFAIK (Merc and AM with 100% certainty). McLaren’s issues are different, but it’s even possible that they just lack downforce anyway and that’s why they never had a porpoising issue.

Also, porpoising occurs at higher speed, so utilizing that power may not mean anything if you are just going to have an unstable car.

We will just have to wait to really see where the truth lies once the teams can get on top of their issues.

The Ferrari does seem like it is the best PU, at least so far, but all PUs should be within probably 15-20 HP from some stuff I was reading. A lot of the traction on slow corners is how the power is deployed, not how much you have per se.

Last note: The ICE components and fuel are already homologated. The hybrid component homologation date is later this year on September 1.

783f8f4e20b459ffa508bd20b09e7892.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot to add, but one route of development is that they can still work on engine mapping and ERS deployment mappings. So, those can be fine tuned and optimized as we go along, it’s just that physical changes to the PUs are a no-go thru 2025 now without majority approval from the teams (which I think requires 8/10 to vote yes to be able to make a reliability change).

Cliffs notes on the new rule?

You used to have to start the race with the tire that you set your fastest time in Q2 with.

That is now gone, and you start the race on whichever tire component you want (that you still have left in your pool).

This also means that won’t be any babying of tires in Q2 anymore, and you might have noticed that some drivers had a faster time in Q2 than they did in Q3 today.

You experts on the newer rules. What is stopping Merc from running the factory 24/7 for the next two weeks running 4 billion sims through the supercomputers to solve their issues? They mentioned a few years ago after 2 bad weekends that was the solution, the factory buckled down and engineered a solution through brute force that pretty much any other constructor could not do/afford. Would this be against the new spending cap, or do the rules still favor the big pocket constructors that are willing to throw money at a problem hand over fist?

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The new Ferrari PU is showing immense traction and acceleration out of corners, which will help a lot on race starts too.

this seems to track with the reports from the last year that they identified some way to make the combustion process happen faster, which could explain the better acceleration. 

2 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

You experts on the newer rules. What is stopping Merc from running the factory 24/7 for the next two weeks running 4 billion sims through the supercomputers to solve their issues? They mentioned a few years ago after 2 bad weekends that was the solution, the factory buckled down and engineered a solution through brute force that pretty much any other constructor could not do/afford. Would this be against the new spending cap, or do the rules still favor the big pocket constructors that are willing to throw money at a problem hand over fist?

In short, the cost cap. And they have a strict limit on wind tunnel time, so their ability to do that is limited by the rules. They still have some built in advantages due to infrastructure, but none of the big 3 can just outspend to quickly catch up if they go the wrong route on development anymore. 

• Like 1

Well, CFD, wind tunnel, and running sim work is different, and it depends on what the issue is that determines which is used to attempt to solve the issue.

The car is allegedly a beast in the simulator, where porpoising doesn’t happen at all. Sim work mostly tests setup work, like spring rates, damper response/rebound curves, alignment specs, etc.

They are limited on wind tunnel time (it is a sliding scale based on constructors standings, taken at two points during a calendar year), but the rest they can still do as much as they want, as long as it’s all within the salary cap. So, essentially as much as their amount of paid staff can do.

The problem with the wind tunnel WRT porpoising is that it’s really hard to simulate the issue due to a few reasons:

A) It would damage the “rolling road” belt (its like a huge treadmill)

B) You are limited to 180kph in the wind tunnel, which is well below where porpoising happens

C) Wind tunnel models are 60% scale, and while many airflow characteristics behave the same on a 60% scale model, not all of them do

They ran with a shitload of Kiel probes on the car in testing, so they can measure the aero load at the time the porpoising occurs and it will give them an idea of what to try to alleviate it, but it will take time to develop a mature solution.
  • Like 1

Mercedes had also been the class of the field in their hydraulic heave spring technology (and FRIC before that before it was banned).

For 2022 hydraulically controlled suspension springs are banned, and teams must use a much more conventional mechanical spring. Inerters were also banned, which helped a lot with absorbing jounce/vibration and riding kerbs, etc. (they were essentially a mass damper for the suspension).

Basically, the suspension has gone back to being incredibly basic, which is part of what is going on as well. Cars will look a bit more like Indycars going over bumps and stuff (as we have already seen). Though, the fact that they are all extremely stiffly spring doesn’t help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dutch said:

Lulz

image.png

10 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

10 hours ago, Hozz said:

He is my favorite driver.  Something tells me if he had been born 70 years earlier he would have killed a fuck ton of Russians and Germans.

9 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I like Bottas as well.  Just seems like a good guy.  I feel that way about quite a few of the drivers. 

8 hours ago, G650 said:

pzrpjs2p0eo81.jpg?width=513&auto=webp&s=

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

All aboard. The Bottas is filling up fast. 

Let’s hope it lasts. 

8 hours ago, G650 said:

Bottas is awesome.

5 hours ago, texas08 said:

Bottas is def the cool kid that every likes. He’s genuinely nice it seems like.

Bottas train!

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, G650 said:
Bottas is awesome.

I've long thought he got shit on unnecessarily. Like that dude a lot. And that's cool of Lewis to recognize him there.

I’ll jump on the train to say I’m not afraid to admit I am a Bottas fan, too.

I really hope to see him compete well against Lewis and the others in front tomorrow. He’s not the greatest, but he seems pretty consistent. He seemed to catch a lot of unlucky breaks with Merc, but he was the ultimate team player.

I hope he really gets to shine as the alpha Alfa.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Longhorn Fever said:

I’ll jump on the train to say I’m not afraid to admit I am a Bottas fan, too.

I really hope to see him compete well against Lewis and the others in front tomorrow. He’s not the greatest, but he seems pretty consistent. He seemed to catch a lot of unlucky breaks with Merc, but he was the ultimate team player.

I hope he really gets to shine as the alpha Alfa.

He looks like Professor Fate from "The Great Race" to me ... has that Snidely Whiplash twirl his 'stache look about him.

image.png.59077af10cd73de921dae11cb5b2da54.png

• Like 1