Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Apparently I’m in the minority, but I like that change. Qualifying and racing are two different things, so recognizing the person that goes fastest in that format is the correct move, I think.

I of course abhor the sprint race in its current format anyway, so if we were to remove its affiliation with the race starting grid, that would make it better.

I’m with you, good buddy.
  • Like 1

One of my father's good friends from the hospital, and his sons, used to be at that race pretty much the entire run through the 1970s. That was my first introduction to cars, and special cars to boot.

Ol' Doc loved cars, his kids loved cars as well. Chip Ganassi was one of their good friends growing up so I would see Young Chip at the house at various functions. I will always remember how they'd throw parties for the Indy 500 as the kickoff to summer.

Those pictures are awesome.

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

One of my father's good friends from the hospital, and his sons, used to be at that race pretty much the entire run through the 1970s. That was my first introduction to cars, and special cars to boot.

Ol' Doc loved cars, his kids loved cars as well. Chip Ganassi was one of their good friends growing up so I would see Young Chip at the house at various functions. I will always remember how they'd throw parties for the Indy 500 as the kickoff to summer.

Those pictures are awesome.

Actual photo of Ol' Doc:

Doc Hudson | Characters | Disney Cars

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Another 10 years, they will be longer than an F150

Yeah they're only about a foot shorter than an F150 now, which is completely ridiculous. Even compared to 2013, the current cars are massive.

Hot damn I love that 6-wheeled Tyrrell P34.  It's goofy for sure but it's such a clear representation of an era when the regs allowed so much more diversity of innovation.

I remember seeing that car in model car catalogs when I was a kid and being totally fascinated by it.

The front and rear offsets were so massive back then. Are the wheels and tires the same size all the way around now?

58 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah they're only about a foot shorter than an F150 now, which is completely ridiculous. Even compared to 2013, the current cars are massive.

I worked for AMD for several years in the mid 2000s, and the San Jose office had one of Schumi's WDC winning Ferraris on display in the lobby.  Standing next to it, and standing next to one of the modern cars, it's just amazing the difference in size.

Looks a good deal for him and Ferrari. He's driving well, seemingly gets on well with LeClerc, and on his side Ferrari (at least so far in 2022) have developed a car that can get regular podiums and wins.

Edited by Dutch

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

It amazes me how light they are for how big they are.

Yep, but they're sooo much heavier than before, and you can see it on the track, esp in slow corners or when the rear end snaps in a way that nobody can catch it.

When I started paying closer attention to F1, around the turn of the century, the minimum weight was 600 kg. In 2010 it went up to 620, and people thought that was wayyy too heavy. From 2010 to 2022, the weight has increased every year except one, from 620 to 798 kg. Since 2002 the minimum weight has increased 33%, from 600 kg to 798.

52 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Duchessa reporting Sainz PU1 is having some reliability concerns, so Ferrari is giving him the new PU that supposedly has an extra 15 HP this weekend.  Sainz really needs to win this weekend to stem the momentum of Leclerc becoming the obvious number one and title favorite.

Yeah, if we can't have a proper fight between 2 teams, I'd at least like to see Sainz and Leclerc keep it close to it goes down to the wire.

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

I worked for AMD for several years in the mid 2000s, and the San Jose office had one of Schumi's WDC winning Ferraris on display in the lobby.  Standing next to it, and standing next to one of the modern cars, it's just amazing the difference in size.

It cracks me up because I used to think those 2000 era cars were so big.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, G650 said:

It cracks me up because I used to think those 2000 era cars were so big.

Yeah exactly!  While I was standing next to it, I was thinking back to the first cars I really remember from following the sport as a kid, which was late 70s/early 80s, and they  were so much smaller still.

48 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Drizzly and a bit cool here on the hill

55347e3d35eba367758adfb1da91d67a.jpgd8a4d960c55b1e217b074076244e6bb5.jpg7ef7fe977f9e41372b5195ec224e45d5.jpg9637c0309b639ce92c91d31995c56739.jpg

Got dam. That is amazing. Imola is up there on the list of tracks I want to see.  

This got me thinking, I don't have a list made up in my head, but if I had to rank top 3 tracks on my bucket list, I think I'd put Spa, Monza, and Interlagos as my top 3. I've only been to COTA so far, but I'm trying to make Canada happen in the next two years. Mexico City would be great too.  Now with so many doubleheaders, I'm hoping to make a 2 week vacation in Europe happen where I can see two races. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Got dam. That is amazing. Imola is up there on the list of tracks I want to see.  

This got me thinking, I don't have a list made up in my head, but if I had to rank top 3 tracks on my bucket list, I think I'd put Spa, Monza, and Interlagos as my top 3. I've only been to COTA so far, but I'm trying to make Canada happen in the next two years. Mexico City would be great too.  Now with so many doubleheaders, I'm hoping to make a 2 week vacation in Europe happen where I can see two races. 

I definitely have a Top 3.  Monaco, Spa, and Suzuka.

There are several others I'd love to visit, but those are my bucket list ones.

• Hook 'Em 2

Man, this season is really slipping away from Sainz. I guess lucky for him is that he'll start 10th in the sprint and have 20 some odd extra laps to improve his spot for the race, but unless Leclerc really screws up, it'll be another weekend where he loses big points to Leclerc.  So that's 2 races where he's significantly off the pace and two weekends with a big crash.  Sainz is speeding up the driver orders by pressing too much. 

That was an absolute mess of a qualifying. The Mercs were lucky to get out of Q1. If Ocon could've run, Lewis would've been out. 

So apparently Charles planned to do push-slow-push after the red flag, but didn't get to do the second push lap because Lando crashed while Max got his second push lap in and that's what got him pole. Max has been insanely lucky with red flags and crashes going back to Abu Dabhi last year. 

The sprint and the race will be interesting. We haven't seen anyone do dry runs, so we have no idea what anyone's actual pace is. 

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That was an absolute mess of a qualifying. The Mercs were lucky to get out of Q1. If Ocon could've run, Lewis would've been out. 

So apparently Charles planned to do push-slow-push after the red flag, but didn't get to do the second push lap because Lando crashed while Max got his second push lap in and that's what got him pole. Max has been insanely lucky with red flags and crashes going back to Abu Dabhi last year. 

The sprint and the race will be interesting. We haven't seen anyone do dry runs, so we have no idea what anyone's actual pace is. 

You mean Bottas parking it? Nobody had time for two laps at the end, when Lando crashed. 

• Hook 'Em 2