Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

18 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That's fucking stupid. It looks like something out of https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com in Hamburg.

I will temper my criticism because I just asked a buddy in Miami if he was going and he said a sign company he acquired during the Kung Flu is the company doing the fake water. 

17 hours ago, Dutch said:

Building a fake marina to race around instead of racing around your actual marina seems very “Miami.” Isn’t there actual ocean front in Miami? They couldn’t run the race along South Beach or Miami Beach?

how does stephen ross make a shit load of money from that?

It could go up or not.

Entering a brand new team has an enormous upfront cost just to be there. Then the cost of the program itself. Buying an existing team avoids that entrance payment.

That assumes a team is willing to sell.

Several years back there were 24 on the grid I think with the likes of Marussia and Caterham. I think there was another one too that was maybe a series of letters? They all dissolved or morphed into other teams.

38 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

It could go up or not.

Entering a brand new team has an enormous upfront cost just to be there. Then the cost of the program itself. Buying an existing team avoids that entrance payment.

That assumes a team is willing to sell.

Several years back there were 24 on the grid I think with the likes of Marussia and Caterham. I think there was another one too that was maybe a series of letters? They all dissolved or morphed into other teams.

HRT. Hispania Racing team.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, our technology partnership back then was with Caterham.  It was so embarrassing.

Suffice to say, there was zero demand for company tix to attend F1 events and/or schwag during those Dark Times.

Dang. I would have been more than happy to be a guest of Caterham. On a side note, such a fantastic color/livery. Some of my favorite F1 cars to shoot.

979975_744001892281025_1238812294_o

856693_747016108646270_1908850505_o

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noozak said:

Anyone know if you can resell a single day from a 3-day ticket pack? Looking into some last minute tickets to Miami and if I can make some money back then It would be worth it. 

The ticket I received today for the Spanish Grand Prix is a single three day pass.   So not likely.  I'm in the same boat.  Won't be in Barcelona until FP2 has begun.  Saturday and Sunday only for us.

So, re: Andretti, I just got a little tidbit from a friend who knows him. Apparently in Miami they're going to make one last Hail Mary to gain acceptance into F1. Apparently they're going to give a big presentation of the ways ($$$) this will help the teams overall despite the hit to their share of the money.

If F1 won't accept Andretti but will bend over backward to accomodate Gene Haas, something is wrong with F1. The bottom line here imho is that the teams don't want their share of the $$$ diluted. In this time of F1 pushing hard into the US, adding US races, etc, it seems like F1 and the teams stand to gain more from opening up that market than they'd lose by adding an Andretti F1 team to the mix.

• Like 1

Wolff says Mercedes will trial two upgrades, dismisses ‘tensions’ between Hamilton and Russell
Mercedes will trial upgrades in the next two races in Miami and Spain in a bid to eradicate their "porpoising" problems.

https://formula1news.co.uk/wolff-says-mercedes-will-trial-two-upgrades-dismisses-tensions-between-hamilton-and-russell/

I honestly can't decide which will be funnier:

1) Let the "water" be an open area with people walking all over it on the broadcast.  
2) Restrict the "water" and make everyone stay on the boats/docks as if it's a real marina.

Mercedes SM manager is way funnier/looser than I expect that brand to be...

I know there's a lot of Jos Verstappen hate on here - y'all should make your way over to the Twitters.  He's trending and everyone is dogpiling him as a child abusing piece of shit.  https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jos%20Verstappen%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I know there's a lot of Jos Verstappen hate on here - y'all should make your way over to the Twitters.  He's trending and everyone is dogpiling him as a child abusing piece of shit.  https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Jos%20Verstappen%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

damn

"He kicked me out and he drove off ... and this is in the south of Italy." Max Verstappen recalls when his father Jos left him at a gas station after a karting mistake at 14 years old and how it molded him into the man and world champion we see today. https://es.pn/3P24Yd8

FSAM18lXIAMJVKD?format=jpg&name=small

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Mercedes SM manager is way funnier/looser than I expect that brand to be...

First reply to the Jordan tweet is straight domination:

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Please no F1 at Indy, ever again.

I'd take it, esp as a 4th GP. By all accounts I've ever heard, the fan excperience there for F1 was fantastic, aside from the tire fiasco, which wasn't Indy's fault. Cheap tickets and concessions, and absolutely mammoth crowds. When we went to the 500, everything was great. Amazing place. Incredible experience. And now that the Captain has poured a bunch of money into the facilities, I'm sure it's even better.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wood said:

I'd take it, esp as a 4th GP. By all accounts I've ever heard, the fan excperience there for F1 was fantastic, aside from the tire fiasco, which wasn't Indy's fault. Cheap tickets and concessions, and absolutely mammoth crowds. When we went to the 500, everything was great. Amazing place. Incredible experience. And now that the Captain has poured a bunch of money into the facilities, I'm sure it's even better.

Can't speak to the in-person fan experience, and since I have no intention of attending in person, I don't really care, it's a non-factor for me.

I hated the race course for F1, even excluding the tire issues.  It was boring and sucky.

I like it fine for Indycars, but don't ever want to see another F1 race there.

I'd much rather see a 4th US race at Watkins Glen or even Sonoma.

Edited by utee94

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Can't speak to the in-person fan experience, and since I have no intention of attending in person, I don't really care, it's a non-factor for me.

I hated the race course for F1, even excluding the tire issues.  It was boring and sucky.

I like it fine for Indycars, but don't ever want to see another F1 race there.

I'd much rather see a 4th US race at Watkins Glen or even Sonoma.

I'd love to see races at those places too, and some other US tracks, but it'll never happen at these older tracks. They'll never invest what would be needed to bring the facilities and circuit up to F1 and FIA Grade 1 standards. They also probably wouldn't want to make significant changes to their circuits, regardless of the cost.

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Watkins Glen

will *never* happen based on people who know way way way more than me about these kind of things. not enough infrastructure in the area + would require $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to get to Grade 1 level

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh I know it'll never happen.  We're talking about opinions here.

I'd rather not see a 4th race in the US at all, if the only option is Indy.

sorry, seen SO many people push it and thought maybe you were one of those who wanted a race there in 2023. my bad.

Just now, NoName said:

sorry, seen SO many people push it and thought maybe you were one of those who wanted a race there in 2023. my bad.

It would be tremendous fun.  There are obvious reasons why it's not going to happen.  That racetrack is from a different era in F1, for a lot of reasons and in a lot of ways.

But I'd just like to see it happen because it'd be bad-ass, not because it makes any sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Miami GP feature on SportsCenter just now with a theme on how the US and F1 have had a checkered past w/ no real history....and just completely ignored the past 10 years in Austin.  I know ESPN sucks and all that, but this is one of the reasons I was (am) anti-multiple GP in the states.  Taking our shine.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Miami GP feature on SportsCenter just now with a theme on how the US and F1 have had a checkered past w/ no real history....and just completely ignored the past 10 years in Austin.  I know ESPN sucks and all that, but this is one of the reasons I was (am) anti-multiple GP in the states.  Taking our shine.

They should do a story on how Tavo brought F1 to Austin & back to the USA and Mexico. It's a pretty good story.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1