Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Alonso never even should have been in position for that to happen. Ocon held him up for the last 10 laps, despite Alonso's ERS problem & the team didn't want to let Alonso by for some reason. Ocon also got incredibly lucky, twice, getting a VSC and and SC right when he needed to stop for tires. Very frustrating race for Alonso. 

Good job by Max. Sainz was on a charge.

Impressed by Sainz today.  If Ferrari hadn’t hung a 3.7 pit stop on him it may have been him holding off Verstappen.  I also question why they didn’t put him on mediums on that last stop because LeClerc was cranking past people on the mediums. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

"Sainz has the gap down to 8 seconds"

The gap has been 8 seconds since the pit stops 20 laps ago, martin.

I know it's their job to make processions sound exciting but Sainz couldn't get it done when he was .55 behind through the hairpin, he's not getting it done when he's .75 through the hairpin. And learn where the fucking DRS lines are, guys. Maybe having to talk all race means you can't actually pay attention to what is going on but if that's the case maybe have a spotter or something so you don't keep talking about gaps that have been steady for 10 laps like they've suddenly come down or DRS not being available when it's clearly open.

Also, nice that the fucking international feed director missed the fucking start. Literally had one job.

Best part of this race was the driver parade in cool old cars instead of an 18 wheeler. Lewis being shown a blue flag when he was in front of Max on lap 44. 

Edited by elfenix

9 hours ago, wood said:

Alonso never even should have been in position for that to happen. Ocon held him up for the last 10 laps, despite Alonso's ERS problem & the team didn't want to let Alonso by for some reason. Ocon also got incredibly lucky, twice, getting a VSC and and SC right when he needed to stop for tires. Very frustrating race for Alonso. 

9 hours ago, wood said:

Apparently Alonso's ERS started cutting out on lap 20, and he was still held up by Ocon at the end.

Ocon wasn’t holding him up. He was purposefully slowing to keep Alonso in his DRS because Alonso was a sitting duck with his ERS issues. Alonso just asked to pass Ocon at the end because he’s that entitled and egotistical. He’s definitely been unlucky this year and has had better pace than Ocon, but he was being saved by him until he weaved like crazy on the straight and made it all for naught. 

I know it's their job to make processions sound exciting but Sainz couldn't get it done when he was .55 behind through the hairpin, he's not getting it done when he's .75 through the hairpin. And learn where the fucking DRS lines are, guys. Maybe having to talk all race means you can't actually pay attention to what is going on but if that's the case maybe have a spotter or something so you don't keep talking about gaps that have been steady for 10 laps like they've suddenly come down or DRS not being available when it's clearly open.

Also, nice that the fucking international feed director missed the fucking start. Literally had one job.

Best part of this race was the driver parade in cool old cars instead of an 18 wheeler. Lewis being shown a blue flag when he was in front of Max on lap 44. 

Lewis wasn’t shown a blue flag at any time in this race. Lewis got in front of Max out of the pit. Max passed him later on the lap.

13 hours ago, wood said:

Ocon was slow enough and LEC was right on Alonso's tail so the concern was both would pass him without an issue. bad strategy.

edit: evidently Ocon was told to slow down to keep Alonso close so he wouldn't get passed?

i just don't get the love for Ocon. full stop.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ocon wasn’t holding him up. He was purposefully slowing to keep Alonso in his DRS because Alonso was a sitting duck with his ERS issues. Alonso just asked to pass Ocon at the end because he’s that entitled and egotistical. He’s definitely been unlucky this year and has had better pace than Ocon, but he was being saved by him until he weaved like crazy on the straight and made it all for naught. 

Well ... OR it's because the team didn't tell Alonso that Ocon was slowing intentionally. If you're in the car and don't know that, and know that you've crushed your teammate the rest of the weekend, and know that you yet again are experiencing a mechanical that's putting you behind him. I'd bet 9 of 10 internet posters would say the same thing if they were put in a similar situation.. It's funny how we hear similar radio complaints from drivers every race, but when Alonso does it, he's 'that entitled and egotistical'.

Re: the weaving, we've seen it for years, and sometimes it gets pinished. Most often it gets a black & white flag (a warning) & little play on message boards, but if Alonso does it, it's an instant penalty and the internet equivalent of a public stoning.

Without the ERS problem, Alonso said he was looking at P4 with an outside shot at P3. P4 imho. He just continues one of the worst stretches of luck I've seen.

Alonso's season so far:

Bahrain - engine issues
Saudi - engine issues
Australia - engine issues, bad strategy, & 2 very untimely SCs
Imola - clutch issues + mick spun into him
Miami - wrong strategy + driver error
Spain - wrong strategy(Q1), back of grid start, 6s pit stop
Monaco - clean weekend
Baku - clean weekend
Canada - engine issues + bad race calls from the pit wall

9 races. 2 clean weekends. 5 mechanicals. 4 bad strategies/decisions, 1 engine grid penalty, once taken out by another driver, etc ... 

Edited by wood

Well ... OR it's because the team didn't tell Alonso that Ocon was slowing intentionally. If you're in the car and don't know that, and know that you've crushed your teammate the rest of the weekend, and know that you yet again are experiencing a mechanical that's putting you behind him. I'd bet 9 of 10 internet posters would say the same thing if they were put in a similar situation.. It's funny how we hear similar radio complaints from drivers every race, but when Alonso does it, he's 'that entitled and egotistical'.
Re: the weaving, we've seen it for years, and sometimes it gets pinished. Most often it gets a black & white flag (a warning) & little play on message boards, but if Alonso does it, it's an instant penalty and the internet equivalent of a public stoning.
The weaving was pretty bad. I think he knew Bottas was going to pass and thought it was worth a shot on a penalty.
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, wood said:

The weaving was pretty bad. I think he knew Bottas was going to pass and thought it was worth a shot on a penalty.

Yep. The penalty was deserved & I haven't seen him complain. And yeah I think you're exactly right - he's seen it go unpunished lots of times and figured he'd probably get the black & white flag we've seen so often. But nope. No warning.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Lewis was in second place when Max came out of the pits behind him. That blue flag was not for him.

there's no one else on track near them.  lewis was shown a blue flag.  inadvertently, which is why it's kinda funny. 

• Like 1

Ok, back home after the race. Some thoughts...

1. Wow, what a track and organization compared to what we see at COTA. The setting in Montreal really makes Austin's race look embarrassing. For one, they have all these green things that grow out of the ground. Not sure what they are called. All the French speakers kept saying they are "arbre." Nothing like them at COTA, whatever they were, they provide nice shade and add a lot of beauty to everything.

2. Really with such a huge influx of fans (and crowds were MASSIVE), only had two hiccups. First was one Friday for FP1, there was a pretty massive line to get in through the entrance we took (picture below). I'd say it took about 30 minutes of waiting on the bridge over the St. Lawrence River to get through. Got there the next day expecting the same and... no line.

The second was getting home after the race. I knew the crowd for the metro would be bad, so we walked around for about 90 minutes after the race before heading back. The crowds just to get to the metro were huge, as were the crowds to even get in the station. And this was well after the race ended. Decided to just sit under a tree for another 45 minutes until it was short enough to wait in. Race ended at 3:30, we got home around 7, with most of that just being us walking around waiting for the crowds to die down.

3. Seriously, the track is a park. Beautiful area. For GA, it seems awful as the trees block a lot of views. No idea where GA sits. But having seats, it's just gorgeous. 

4. Sat at turns 6/7 and thought it was an amazing spot as the cars dive into the corner. Every car was wiggling during Saturday's qualifying. Saw Albon go into the wall right under us but then be able to back out. 

5. People broke through the fence after the race to walk the track and we followed. Then a flatbed truck came by with Yuki's damaged car on it. Really cool being just feet from the car. (Pic below)

6. Maybe my bias is showing, but Max just looked faster in and out of our corner than everyone else.  You could see him with so much more speed coming into turn 6 than the other cars.

7. F1 merch prices are criminal... and people seemed happy to pay them. Any team hat started at $80. Mercedes had some popular hats that were $120 -- saw hundreds of them around. 

8. Even with the nice production and handling of the GP, it's a beating going all three days, fighting crowds, etc. Especially when you have a kid in tow. Happy to be home and as of right now I am good on attending another race for a while... which means in two weeks I'll start thinking about the next one to attend, I'm sure.

9. There are four teams in F1 when it comes to popularity: Ferrari, Merc, Red Bull, and McLaren. Saw merch for them seemingly everywhere, with Ferrari being the most popular and McLaren being the least of those big four (but still with a real good showing). The rest combined wouldn't add up to be as much as one of those four teams as far as shirts/hats, etc. Lewis seemed the most popular driver, followed by Verstappen/Leclerc/Ricciardo all being just below that.

I will say having gone to both COTA and Montreal, I'd tell anyone that would have to catch a flight to either race to just go to Montreal. It's a much better experience by far. 

image.jpeg.30b648362f20c1474e96d63d8a879657.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6cb092e617188c05e4fb7e16478fddd9.jpeg

image.jpeg.ef9d34e8d765dec85b832210e5df5589.jpeg

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Also, had an 8:30 a.m. flight this morning and left the hotel at 5:30 a.m. to give us plenty of time. Taxi didn't show, so we used the metro and ended up getting to the airport around 6:45. I have no idea if nobody flew in for the race or what, but there was hardly anyone there.

Austin when I arrived this afternoon had 10 times the number of people. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, had an 8:30 a.m. flight this morning and left the hotel at 5:30 a.m. to give us plenty of time. Taxi didn't show, so we used the metro and ended up getting to the airport around 6:45. I have no idea if nobody flew in for the race or what, but there was hardly anyone there.

Austin airport is pretty nightmarish at any time on any day, these days.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Austin airport is pretty nightmarish at any time on any day, these days.

Yep, and lots of people drive into Montreal from the east coast, Toronto, etc. And a lot of the people who fly there don't fly right into Montreal, but rather to a nearby city, and then drive in. That's what I did both times. Because way cheaper (when we did it).

How old is your kid? We are looking at going next summer and my son will be 12.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ok, back home after the race. Some thoughts...

1. Wow, what a track and organization compared to what we see at COTA. The setting in Montreal really makes Austin's race look embarrassing. For one, they have all these green things that grow out of the ground. Not sure what they are called. All the French speakers kept saying they are "arbre." Nothing like them at COTA, whatever they were, they provide nice shade and add a lot of beauty to everything.

2. Really with such a huge influx of fans (and crowds were MASSIVE), only had two hiccups. First was one Friday for FP1, there was a pretty massive line to get in through the entrance we took (picture below). I'd say it took about 30 minutes of waiting on the bridge over the St. Lawrence River to get through. Got there the next day expecting the same and... no line.

The second was getting home after the race. I knew the crowd for the metro would be bad, so we walked around for about 90 minutes after the race before heading back. The crowds just to get to the metro were huge, as were the crowds to even get in the station. And this was well after the race ended. Decided to just sit under a tree for another 45 minutes until it was short enough to wait in. Race ended at 3:30, we got home around 7, with most of that just being us walking around waiting for the crowds to die down.

3. Seriously, the track is a park. Beautiful area. For GA, it seems awful as the trees block a lot of views. No idea where GA sits. But having seats, it's just gorgeous. 

4. Sat at turns 6/7 and thought it was an amazing spot as the cars dive into the corner. Every car was wiggling during Saturday's qualifying. Saw Albon go into the wall right under us but then be able to back out. 

5. People broke through the fence after the race to walk the track and we followed. Then a flatbed truck came by with Yuki's damaged car on it. Really cool being just feet from the car. (Pic below)

6. Maybe my bias is showing, but Max just looked faster in and out of our corner than everyone else.  You could see him with so much more speed coming into turn 6 than the other cars.

7. F1 merch prices are criminal... and people seemed happy to pay them. Any team hat started at $80. Mercedes had some popular hats that were $120 -- saw hundreds of them around. 

8. Even with the nice production and handling of the GP, it's a beating going all three days, fighting crowds, etc. Especially when you have a kid in tow. Happy to be home and as of right now I am good on attending another race for a while... which means in two weeks I'll start thinking about the next one to attend, I'm sure.

9. There are four teams in F1 when it comes to popularity: Ferrari, Merc, Red Bull, and McLaren. Saw merch for them seemingly everywhere, with Ferrari being the most popular and McLaren being the least of those big four (but still with a real good showing). The rest combined wouldn't add up to be as much as one of those four teams as far as shirts/hats, etc. Lewis seemed the most popular driver, followed by Verstappen/Leclerc/Ricciardo all being just below that.

I will say having gone to both COTA and Montreal, I'd tell anyone that would have to catch a flight to either race to just go to Montreal. It's a much better experience by far. 

image.jpeg.30b648362f20c1474e96d63d8a879657.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6cb092e617188c05e4fb7e16478fddd9.jpeg

image.jpeg.ef9d34e8d765dec85b832210e5df5589.jpeg

Thanks for the writeup, and I'm glad you had such a good time! It's hard not to in Montreal, at least in my limited experience. There's something for everyone.

10 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

How old is your kid? We are looking at going next summer and my son will be 12.

He is 6. Has interest in Formula 1, but won't sit and watch an entire race with me. Knows about half the drivers. Three laps into the race he was putting his head in his lap.  

Loved going to the Biodome in Montreal and seeing the penguins and the free chocolates in the hotel lobby. Also his race highlight was the ice cream he got in the middle of it.

12 years old is a full go.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:10 AM, elfenix said:

Sainz was cutting into the gap.   It was over 9 seconds when he went out and he'd cut it to 6 seconds when the safety car came out.

Makes me sad that Mercedes has by far the sharpest gear.

The Red Bull/Max stuff reminds me of 1990's Starter jackets.

He is 6. Has interest in Formula 1, but won't sit and watch an entire race with me. Knows about half the drivers. Three laps into the race he was putting his head in his lap.  

Loved going to the Biodome in Montreal and seeing the penguins and the free chocolates in the hotel lobby. Also his race highlight was the ice cream he got in the middle of it.

Biodome is neat. The whole city is so choice. 

Yeah, nice write up FTC. I know you said it, but Montreal really does do a much better job than Austin. No real surprise that far east Austin parched earth is worse than a lush island close to the Montreal city center and serviced by a got dang metro line. I highly recommend everyone attend a race in Montreal at least once.

Also, was nice to get a break from the blast furnace for a couple of days.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My 12yo son enjoys being at the racetrack for maybe a couple of hours, and then he's had enough.

*raises hand*

It's awesome seeing cars in person, but after a little bit, it becomes normal. If you really want to follow the race, then the TV experience is so much better.

One more cool thing about the Montreal track -- as I said it's lots of trees so there are many places where you are walking around and can't see the track despite being only a a short distance from it.. We were a little late for FP1, walking to the grandstands when it started. It's a peaceful park setting and then you hear the cars fly by without seeing them. 

23 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

*raises hand*

It's awesome seeing cars in person, but after a little bit, it becomes normal. If you really want to follow the race, then the TV experience is so much better.

That's one reason my favorite days are actually Friday and Saturday.  Less busy, less rushed, and the race itself is harder to follow live, even with big screens right across from our grandstands.

36 minutes ago, utee94 said:

That's one reason my favorite days are actually Friday and Saturday.  Less busy, less rushed, and the race itself is harder to follow live, even with big screens right across from our grandstands.

+ the screens here are typically hard to read because they're so far across the track, and hard to hear as well. Not a problem in Montreal with the huge, close screens and great PA system. But yeah, Unless I'm travelling to a GP somewhere else, I'll likely only do Friday for F1 from here on out, and I did every session of every series here for like 8 years. For series other than F1, MotoGP, and NASCAR, I'd gladly do every session, if those series actually ever return to COTA (doubtful).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I like Ferrari's new gear, even if it is a little on the Red Raider side.

My 12yo son enjoys being at the racetrack for maybe a couple of hours, and then he's had enough.

*raises hand*

One more cool thing about the Montreal track -- as I said it's lots of trees so there are many places where you are walking around and can't see the track despite being only a a short distance from it.. We were a little late for FP1, walking to the grandstands when it started. It's a peaceful park setting and then you hear the cars fly by without seeing them. 

Yeah my 18 yo has been all in for every session and more since he was about 8 or 9. Even spent all day with me at the SVRA weekend, getting his mind blown. My 16 yo is interested and actually knows a lot about F1, but tires of it easily at the track. Honestly, most kids and most people aren't going to ever be into it the way we are, so it's cool to just enjoy the ones that are. Very happy my 18 yo & I get to share so much passion for racing, volleyball ... and Texas Football, and my 16 yo and I share so much for baseball, music, & good eats ... and Texas Football.

Over the years I've found that racing live is good for the novelty for a bit, but if you really want to know what's happening the TV is much better. Whether it's F1, NASCAR, whatever. There's some things that are irreplaceable, the sound and most of all the smell, but to watch racing the couch definitely wins.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Over the years I've found that racing live is good for the novelty for a bit, but if you really want to know what's happening the TV is much better. Whether it's F1, NASCAR, whatever. There's some things that are irreplaceable, the sound and most of all the smell, but to watch racing the couch definitely wins.

There were a couple of times on Saturday as we were waiting in line to get to our seats in 50° rain like "Why are we doing this to ourselves?" lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This was my first time at an F1 race and also my first time at CGV.

• The island and the track are beautiful.  Seems strange to be running F1 cars through there, but it works.  Amazing setting for a race
  • I thought they handled the crowds amazingly well.  I have read there were 338k in attendance over the weekend, so I would put Sunday's attendance north of 100k (probably closer to 125k).  To efficiently get that many people on an off an island with only 2 bridges is amazing.  They really cram you on the Metro, but they keep things moving.  We went from our seats in the grandstand to our hotel within an hour on Saturday and Sunday, which is pretty remarkable.  And we didn't leave early either day.  
  • That was a really fun experience, but I think I'll be really picky about which races to attend.  That many people in a poorly managed setting is a recipe for disaster and I don't really care for crowds or people all that much.  
  • The speed, the sounds and the smells cannot be replicated on TV, but I thought Sunday was the least fun day of all.  Watching the race at home is far superior to being at the track.  Watching Quali at the track was a blast, though.
  • The pit walk was a disaster.  Took us 1.5 hours to get from the Metro station on the island to the bus that takes you to the pits (we got off the Metro at 9:15).  Just a mess.  And it was raining when we got there, so even though I'm taller than a lot of folks, I couldn't see shit because of all the people with umbrellas just camped out in front of Ferrari, RB and MB pits, hoping someone would eventually walk by.
  • Montreal is a cool city with some good restaurants.  Definitely recommend a visit.
  • Air Canada can get fucked.  What a shit show of an airline.  Don't fly them in 2022 if you can avoid it.  They will fuck you up somehow.  Coming home yesterday, we were 3.5 hours delayed.  Lots of folks on our flight missed connections and I'm sure they spent the night in Denver.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Oh, and last but certainly not least, the fine young women in Montreal have decided that bras are optional.  Hope that catches on here as it made walking around town a lot more interesting.  Nipples everywhere.

Lol, been that way on campus for at least 4 years here. Apparently the younger generation does not enjoy them. Makes my daily walks to and from the office that much better.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Oh, and last but certainly not least, the fine young women in Montreal have decided that bras are optional.  Hope that catches on here as it made walking around town a lot more interesting.  Nipples everywhere.

Noice. And Montreal has no shortage of beauties. Head on a swivel. My boys told me yesterday they're already ready to go back there. Might have to make that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1