Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Daniel will be back at McLaren next year unless he’s really, really dumb or hates racing in F1 with a chance to be competitive.

Is McLaren the only competitive team he can race for next year? He was more competitive with Renault than he is now with McLaren. McLaren needs to figure something out with Danny if they want to be competitive next year because right now he’s simply not producing. I agree, the smart choice for Danny is to stay and try to push through and figure it out but I could also see him wanting to make a move somewhere else. That may not even be possible though. 

Is McLaren the only competitive team he can race for next year? He was more competitive with Renault than he is now with McLaren. McLaren needs to figure something out with Danny if they want to be competitive next year because right now he’s simply not producing. I agree, the smart choice for Danny is to stay and try to push through and figure it out but I could also see him wanting to make a move somewhere else. That may not even be possible though. 

McLaren gave Daniel a race winning car last year. The team swung and missed this year, but Daniel picking up and moving to another team, even if they were considered competitive (which they wouldn’t be) would be the worst move he could possibly make at this point in his career. I know he’s got the reputation of being a bad decision maker, but him leaving McLaren right now would just take the cake.

The bottom line is this is probably the last stop for him.
  • Hook 'Em 4

McLaren gave Daniel a race winning car last year. The team swung and missed this year, but Daniel picking up and moving to another team, even if they were considered competitive (which they wouldn’t be) would be the worst move he could possibly make at this point in his career. I know he’s got the reputation of being a bad decision maker, but him leaving McLaren right now would just take the cake.

The bottom line is this is probably the last stop for him.
I agree with this. He's got 1.5 seasons to figure the car out, or make his plans for something else.

18 hours ago, Mittens said:

Obviously the best race we've seen in quite a while, for all of the reasons already mentioned, but I wanted to add another and see if anyone else agrees:  The camera work.

I first noticed it on the L2 restart, just being blown away by how fast the cars looked on screen.  I've been following for years and been to multiple GP in person and was caught off guard by having that reaction to F1 on tv.  Several other times during the broadcast caught me as well, although I can't quite recollect which right this minute.

I don't know dick about how these races are filmed, and really only notice the production when the director is following a shit battle and/or missing a good one.  I'd be curious if there were different cameras, or a different production crew or director, or if anyone else had similar thoughts around just how fast the action looked yesterday.

I don't think the camera work has changed, I think Silverstone just has some fast corners that offer up what you're seeing. For instance, most corners in Canada are relatively slow. Silverstone has some fast, quick-changing corners like COTA does with the "esses"

9 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Ricciardo is done in F1.  Face it. He doesn’t have it anymore.  Too much team jumping. He got stuck behind Max and didn’t allow Renault to develop the car under him.  It’s bad timing and bad decisions by him. 

No idea of his contract, but even if it ended this year, I think he'd get another year to see if things get sorted out. As for popularity of individual drivers on the grid, it's Hamilton, Max, and then Daniel. McLaren wouldn't be keen on tossing that out just yet.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't think the camera work has changed, I think Silverstone just has some fast corners that offer up what you're seeing. For instance, most corners in Canada are relatively slow. Silverstone has some fast, quick-changing corners like COTA does with the "esses"

In fact the esses were inspired by the Maggots-Beckets-Chapel complex. 

9 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Ricciardo is done in F1.  Face it. He doesn’t have it anymore.  Too much team jumping. He got stuck behind Max and didn’t allow Renault to develop the car under him.  It’s bad timing and bad decisions by him. 

😢

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

F1 runs the production everywhere except Monaco, where the host won't relinquish those rights.

I remember the main feed missing some action yesterday - like blatantly miss it.  I like them doing the multi-cam inset (picture-in-picture style) towards the end of the race, so you could tune  into which battle you want.

All the Danny Ric stuff was insane to me. Had no clue of his issues - DRS failure 12 laps into the hard tire stint, then no DRS rest of the race.

their production is consistently not good.

15 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

McLaren is not helping Danny at all even though there’s enough blame for both sides, and because of this I think there’s a zero percent chance Danny comes back with McLaren next year. 

dude has a very nice contract with McLaren that basically means he only leaves if he wants to. he is paid very, very well...why would he leave?

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:
Daniel will be back at McLaren next year unless he’s really, really dumb or hates racing in F1 with a chance to be competitive.

He can make a boatload of money on Nascar, too. But F1 is the pinnacle of racing.

he is making like $15+m at McLaren - this would put him basically at the very top of the NASCAR scale almost no matter what. he isn't going to get that much anywhere else.

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

their production is consistently not good.

Actually have very few issues with the TV production. In fact, I think they do a really, really good job considering the challenge. People just like to complain (see any thread about football announcers).

You're tracking cars over a 3-mile circuit with likely 100 different cameras and often several things happening simultaneously. It's not a 100-yard field where one camera can catch the vast majority of the action or a field where the only thing that matters is the current location of the ball. It has to be arguably the absolute hardest sport to create a TV production for. Can't think of another off the top of my head.

My biggest issue are the shots of the car that are too zoomed in.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can’t remember the track that has the camera in the track and the cars run over it going uphill on a high speed corner. 

56 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Spa has that, I think.

Yep.  A camera in one of the kerbs at Eau Rouge.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Yep.  A camera in one of the kerbs at Eau Rouge.

REALLY hoping for a good race at Spa this year.  Last year's washout was deeply disappointing, that's my favorite circuit on the Calendar.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Actually have very few issues with the TV production. In fact, I think they do a really, really good job considering the challenge. People just like to complain (see any thread about football announcers).

You're tracking cars over a 3-mile circuit with likely 100 different cameras and often several things happening simultaneously. It's not a 100-yard field where one camera can catch the vast majority of the action or a field where the only thing that matters is the current location of the ball. It has to be arguably the absolute hardest sport to create a TV production for. Can't think of another off the top of my head.

I dont want to trivialize their job, but really they only need to shortlist 3 things to focus on:

1. the lead driver

2. the favorite drivers (of which there are few)

3. drivers in <1 sec gap 

1 and 2 often overlap.  3 mostly disappears into the race.  so in the end, its distilled into “track ver/ham/ferrari”

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

i am consistently annoyed at how they ignore lots of actual things and issues happening in the race (like the DRS issue for Danny Ric that didn't even make the broadcast) and thing like Lewis cutting 0.050 seconds off a 4-5 second gap when we have other things in the top 10 with a gap of 0.2 seconds or 0.4.

the focus on George not getting to restart was one of the most homer things i have ever seen on a sportscast.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:14 AM, G650 said:

Fred quietly having a great race

Yeah & he's been crushing Ocon this season. He's still behind in the WDC, but only because of all the bad luck he had early in the season. He's really getting the most out of that car now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:23 AM, Fastbreak said:

So no penalty at all for Perez. That is bullshit.

Yep & Alonso said he was waiting for one on Leclerc for weaving & blocking Lewis, but it never came. Had Alonso done the same, he'd have gotten 10s.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, VABuckeye said:

After Grosjean, Hamilton last year and now Jhou everyone should be on board with the halo.

Indeed. It's saved several lives already. Leclerc in Spa, etc. Just glad there was no fire in this one.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:59 AM, 52-80 said:

The Mercs are getting better.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:47 AM, G650 said:

They are, but they have gone from a tick faster than the mid field to a tick behind Ferrari. The trajectory is good for them though and they definitely should be able to compete at tracks that suit them

Yep. They are improving, but this track was probably the best (i.e. smoothest) for them that they'll see all season. That really helped them as they've really had trouble on bumpier surfaces.

Edited by wood

On 7/4/2022 at 11:19 AM, dieucla98 said:

Loved the announcers after the safety car - something to the effect of "and there's Alonso sneaking in there because of course he would". 

Missed that. What 'sneaking' were they referring to?

13 minutes ago, wood said:

Missed that. What 'sneaking' were they referring to?

When Checo, Hamilton and Lec were all fighting and passing each other multiple times, Fred and Lando drove up to the back of the three way battle but could not really threaten once those three sorted themselves out 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, these guys are athletes but not always athletic. Seeing GR run and seeing DR shoot a basketball makes you scratch your head.

Watching athletes do cross-sport stuff is always hilarious. Like barkley swinging a golf club, or John walls baseball pitch. 

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Watching athletes do cross-sport stuff is always hilarious. Like barkley swinging a golf club, or John walls baseball pitch. 

Pitching Chicago Cubs GIF

Baseball first pitches is one of the best at showcasing this. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. They are improving, but this track was probably the best (i.e. smoothest) for them that they'll see all season. That really helped them as they've really had trouble on bumpier surfaces.

Uh oh, in that case, that means in Austin they'll be absolutely doomed! ;)

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Pitching Chicago Cubs GIF

Baseball first pitches is one of the best at showcasing this. 

Ive read people on the internet trying to defend this stuff.

“But its an American sport.  He [in this case Conor McGregor] is not accustomed to it.”

I cannot, for the life of me, begin to understand the excuse of a male adult needing specific training to competently toss a palm-sized object of medium density 20 meters. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

“But its an American sport.  He [in this case Conor McGregor] is not accustomed to it.”

I cannot, for the life of me, begin to understand the excuse of a male adult needing specific training to competently toss a palm-sized object of medium density 20 meters. 

Ha! I saw that clip and the first thing I thought was "how can a grown man not be able to throw a ball"? Even if you don't play baseball, throwing a rock, a dirt clod, or a stick is the most basic thing in childhood.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah and the funny thing is that most people who go out to COTA completely ignore the esses and the east side of the track in general. If you wanna see F1 cars doing what F1 cars do best, the east side is where you'll see it.

11 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Well it's blocked but it's worth a visit to youtube to bask in its glory. 

Yeah that pass was right up there with Alonso overtaking Schumi on the outside of 130R, imho ... and neither of those ends well without both drivers understanding what they need to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

When Checo, Hamilton and Lec were all fighting and passing each other multiple times, Fred and Lando drove up to the back of the three way battle but could not really threaten once those three sorted themselves out 

Ah, yeah. Alonso said he had a great view of that scrap and that it was very entertaining from his seat. He said he knew he couldn't do much except wait for a couple of them to take each other out.

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Yep. And then you have some who are gifted at other sports, too ... like Sainz with golf. Rumor has it he's good enough to play pro.

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

This is horribad.