Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

54 minutes ago, NoName said:

I could understand if they were like Williams or Alfa and wanted to lock in a decent dude for a while. Or even if they were Haas and they believed in Ocon a ton. Just seems super strange and not like a good strategic decision

By all accounts, Laurent Rossi, the CEO of Alpine, is a total shithead and horrible to work for. He was the one who drove the Ocon contract because he wanted to have a French driver, especially since Renault is a state-owned company. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, NoName said:
makes the most sense for him unless he is willing to go to the backmarkers vs a (strongish) midfield team.

For competitive reasons, I want him at Alpine. For having the most fun team, Haas.

Ricciardo is super-marketable in the USA and I think in that sense the relationship would be very mutually beneficial.  Especially with THREE races in the US next year.

But then I think about Haas as a racing team and... ugghhh..  I just don't think I can wish that on anybody, especially Ricciardo.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Danny to Brown: Fuck you, pay me

As he should.  Remind them who won McLaren's only GP since 2012.

spacer.png

But then sports is very much a "what have you done for me lately" business, and Danny's getting thumped as badly as Stoffel did by Fernando.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Just imagine if he'd stayed put... sigh.

Not sure he still would have been at RBR in 2021, but yeah.  Would have really liked to see him a title-winning car. 

19 minutes ago, Dutch said:

spacer.png

But then sports is very much a "what have you done for me lately" business, and Danny's getting thumped as badly as Stoffel did by Fernando.

spacer.png

Not sure he still would have been at RBR in 2021, but yeah.  Would have really liked to see him a title-winning car. 

Looks like Danny just couldn’t adjust away from late breaking. In this side by side it’s clear where he loses the majority of time to Lando who brakes way earlier for each corner. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Looks like Danny just couldn’t adjust away from late breaking. In this side by side it’s clear where he loses the majority of time to Lando who brakes way earlier for each corner. 

this is a really good video. same guy posts some nice analysis week in and week out!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I saw an interview with Lando recently.  Sounds like it's more than just that.    Lando mentioned how there are times with this car when you have to be on the gas and brakes at the same time and that it's a really different driving experience from any other car he's driven.  I guess Piastri will show us whether the problem was really Danny or the car.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I saw an interview with Lando recently.  Sounds like it's more than just that.    Lando mentioned how there are times with this car when you have to be on the gas and brakes at the same time and that it's a really different driving experience from any other car he's driven.  I guess Piastri will show us whether the problem was really Danny or the car.  

I mean, we know Sainz talked about how particular the McLaren is vs other cars on the grid/other cards he drove before. We know that at least some of the issues are with the car.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep. Remember Lando’s complaints in Austria? He was totally unconfident in the car even stopping.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh I was just talking about Renault/Alpine.  I don't see any way he could have stayed at RBR.  Fuck those wankers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Gonna stand by my man and predict failure for McLaren over the next 2 years minimum.  The car is wonky and asking a rookie to do better than a seasoned vet in it isn't going to yield a better result.

Same. The way McLaren has handled this season with Daniel leaves a bad taste.  I understand results matter and he hasn’t delivered as expected, but the disengagement process looks ugly, and undeserving.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Four world champions and a guy who might have been had his teammate not been the winningest driver in F1 history. Not bad company.

Hope Danny lands somewhere decent and beats both McLaren drivers next year. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 5

Four world champions and a guy who might have been had his teammate not been the winningest driver in F1 history. Not bad company.
Hope Danny lands somewhere decent and beats both McLaren drivers next year. 
That's why Danny gets another drive. Hope it's with Alpine because that is the best car with an open seat.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

And now for some reason. Zhou decides to throw gas on the fire:

https://racer.com/2022/08/04/piastri-situation-shows-i-was-right-to-leave-alpine-zhou/

I remember reading a couple of weeks back, Alonso said that having so many updates was great but the team should be focusing on next year's car development instead. Kinda made me wonder if something was up behind the scenes. Two drivers suddenly jumping from the 4th quickest car in just a few days can't be a good sign regarding the team environment, commitment to the future, etc.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

You think that’s tough? Try Ferrari. 

Do you happen to be a fan of the Cowboys as well? I sure hope you aren’t, that would just be an awful time being a fan of Texas, Ferrari and the Cowboys. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Do you happen to be a fan of the Cowboys as well? I sure hope you aren’t, that would just be an awful time being a fan of Texas, Ferrari and the Cowboys. 

Thankfully not, but basically every race I realize I chose the UT Football of F1 and I wonder why I did this to myself. I’m thinking I must subconsciously be a masochist. 

But thoughts and prayers to anyone who is a fan of all three. Thy could make for a horrible fucking weekend this Fall. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Thankfully not, but basically every race I realize I chose the UT Football of F1 and I wonder why I did this to myself. I’m thinking I must subconsciously be a masochist. 

But thoughts and prayers to anyone who is a fan of all three. Thy could make for a horrible fucking weekend this Fall. 

Yeah, you don't say.  Those are my three.

Only thing worse might be, say, if you are also a fan of Manchester United.

Which I am...

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, you don't say.  Those are my three.

Only thing worse might be, say, if you are also a fan of Manchester United.

Which I am...

You deserve everything that befalls you ...

My teams are either good or straight fucking trash. McLaren, Chelsea FC, Washington FT, Alabama and the Red Sox. Honestly the Red Sox are probably the worst right now which is amazing with Washington in the list.

• Haha 1

I used to like Otmar whe. I first started following F1, but every time he speaks you realize how full of shit he is. He’s put out quotes saying theyre disappointed at Paistri’s lack of loyalty when Alpine has completely failed him. They couldn’t get him a seat in Year 1, they maybe could have gotten him a seat in the worst car on the grid in year 2, and then he was just supposed to wait another 1-2 years in a backmarker all for the payoff of driving for a team perennially stuck in the midfield? Why would one of the best young prospects to come along in the last 6 or 7 years ever agree to that? Fuck off the with the loyalty bullshit. Alpine fucked up once again and now they’re paying the price. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

His "I'll talk to you after one of our drivers is on the podium" to Brundle during the grid walk was pure cringe. Meanwhile, Alpine classifies P8 and P9 and Alonso is headed to Aston the very next day. I don't dislike Otmar but he's got a bad case of foot in mouth disease. 

Feel mostly the same way.

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

He is kind of a clown tbh.

And also this.

Here's a pic of Otmar and Binotto sharing a ride to work, along with all of the McLaren F1 team:

Clown car hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I used to like Otmar whe. I first started following F1, but every time he speaks you realize how full of shit he is. He’s put out quotes saying theyre disappointed at Paistri’s lack of loyalty when Alpine has completely failed him. They couldn’t get him a seat in Year 1, they maybe could have gotten him a seat in the worst car on the grid in year 2, and then he was just supposed to wait another 1-2 years in a backmarker all for the payoff of driving for a team perennially stuck in the midfield? Why would one of the best young prospects to come along in the last 6 or 7 years ever agree to that? Fuck off the with the loyalty bullshit. Alpine fucked up once again and now they’re paying the price. 

Yep. Like saying he couldn't get ahold of Alonso because he was on a boat in Greece or somewhere. Meanwhile Alonso was actually riding karts with the kids at his academy in Oviedo & was posting about it on S/M. Alonso owed nothing to Otmar. IIRC he said something similar re: Piastri.

As Otmar said himself, he wasn't there when they signed Alonso. When you're saying things like that in the press, throwing your driver under the bus to help contract negotiations - talking about Alonso costing the team points and trying to shift blame away from obvious reliability issues, why would you expect any loyalty? Same with Piastri. Otmar cries about Piastri's lack of loyatly, but they've strung him along for quite a while now without giving him a clear indication of what seat he'd be in in 2023 - if any seat at all. If his contract was up, then why should he wait around for Otmar to get his thumb out of his ass while McLaren is pursuing him and has made a good offer?

Otmar, and Rossi caused this fiasco for Alpine, not Piastri and Alonso. They led people on, undervalued them, etc, and left themselves vulnerable with poor contract management. Then they got what they deserved. The fact that Otmar is crying about loyalty & not talking about the binding contract they (should) have with Piastri says everything you need to know.

In the last few months, Alpine has released Zhou, let Piastri slip away to McLaren with an expired contract, and fucked around and found out with Alonso. But yeah, sure, it's all those guys' fault for being disloyal! Loyalty works both ways. If Otmar expects loyalty, then maybe he should stop leading on and lowballing his drivers and start putting good offers on the table to keep them around and loyal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, and speaking of Alpine ...  it was pretty phenomenal the way Ocon committed everything to blocking Alonso in Hungary, leaving the door wide open for Lewis to cruise past both Alpines. Not exactly the best thing for the team, but not surprising either, given Ocon's past moves against teammates. Hadn't seen this angle til today. Wow.

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Haven’t been keeping up with this thread but I said a long time ago I don’t see mclaren getting their shit together with zak in charge. Hope I’m wrong but I doubt it

Zak is great at doing what he made millions doing - selling advertising.  It remains to be seen if he can produce a winner on the track.