Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

dick move, Ocon

Yep. And not very smart, either. If he holds position there, there's a good chance he stays ahead of Alonso and also keeps Lewis behind, at least temporarily. Instead, he just cleared the path for Lewis to put both Alpines down a position, and Alonso got him later on anyway.

10 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. And not very smart, either. If he holds position there, there's a good chance he stays ahead of Alonso and also keeps Lewis behind, at least temporarily. Instead, he just cleared the path for Lewis to put both Alpines down a position, and Alonso got him later on anyway.

guy with a years long history of being an asshole to teammates on the track continues to be an asshole to teammates.

dude doesn't get reprimanded during the race, so why would he change anything? he has a long term contract!

39 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It'd be like only having TX-OU every other year.  

Hopefully it's just a contract negotiation technique.

Yeah I won't believe it until I see the final, WMSC-ratified schedule release from the FIA.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Oof. Rumor now is that Monaco will be every other year going forward. 

Good. Classic races that have been around for decades are dumb, especially when it's known as the premier sporting event in F1 in the most glamorous location on the planet. I'd much prefer another night race in the Middle East with rocket attacks causing night-long meetings about if they should still race or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 3

22 hours ago, wood said:

Oh, and speaking of Alpine ...  it was pretty phenomenal the way Ocon committed everything to blocking Alonso in Hungary, leaving the door wide open for Lewis to cruise past both Alpines. Not exactly the best thing for the team, but not surprising either, given Ocon's past moves against teammates. Hadn't seen this angle til today. Wow.

Looks like he wanted to slipstream off the nearest car in front, and then move to all the way to the right to give alonso room

Blocking alonso didnt seem like his intention

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Looks like he wanted to slipstream off the nearest car in front, and then move to all the way to the right to give alonso room

Blocking alonso didnt seem like his intention

Obviously we can't know his intention, but it looked to me and most people I've read like he was on a defensive line to Turn 1. Either way, it worked out poorly. And then there's the bit where he forced Alonso to the wall...as he's done before to other teammates, ending in tears.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

Obviously we can't know his intention, but it looked to me and most people I've read like he was on a defensive line to Turn 1. Either way, it worked out poorly. And then there's the bit where he forced Alonso to the wall...as he's done before to other teammates, ending in tears.

Yeah, Ocon has a history of dirty driving with his teammates. Ocon often comes off as insecure about his status in F1, which I think is a big part of why he gets overly aggressive with his teammates. 

It certainly looked to me like he was blocking Alonso off at the start there, while letting Lewis clean through. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Good stuff, lol.

Toto says Red Bull and Ferrari dominance & 'the gap between the top teams and the rest of the field' are to blame for a lack of entertainment in F1.

I mean ... I think it's been a fairly entertaining season.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/less-entertainment-in-f1-because-mercedes-lags-rivals-says-wolff

Edited by wood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Another clickbait article. He was asked and is talking about sprint races only, which absolutely do suck.

Well you can't expect us to read the actual article, it might assuage our uninformed outrage!

Regardless, Toto can join Bob Stoops in eating giant bags...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Another clickbait article. He was asked and is talking about sprint races only, which absolutely do suck.

does it matter though?

the point, even if it was only about sprint races, is hilarious.

"I think the reason why races have less entertainment is because there's just too much performance gap between the teams," Wolff said. His comments came after the Austrian Grand Prix, where Red Bull and Ferrari were particularly dominant in the weekend's sprint race.

“If you have Verstappen disappearing in a distance, the two Ferraris being the only entertainment during the race and then we are in the middle of nowhere in no man’s land," said Wolff, adding “Then the others are further behind, and then you have DRS trains. That never can make a good sprint race.”

the MB team principle saying literally anything is not entertaining due to too much of a performance gap between teams is tone deaf as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

And all this time I thought Lawrence Stroll was the Bond villain...

I mean Toto literally is a Bond villian

• 6'5" Austrian
  • billionaire
  • lives in Monaco
  • speaks 6 languages
  • went to a prestigious French private school
  • Motor Racer, then jumped into investment companies
  • made a shitload of money in those investment companies, then went back to motor racing
  • decided to dabble in F1 with Williams, made the jump to Mercedes, we all know how that went in the turbo hybrid era

Stroll looks the part but made his money in clothing - what Bond villain makes his money in clothing?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anyone catch the Lewis Hamilton article in Vanity Fair? (Doesn't every petrol-head have a subscription?)

I really don't like that guy, and the article just reinforces it. But that man can drive the wheels off a race car.

Yeah it was fantastic. It reads like an interview of Derek Zoolander.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anyone catch the Lewis Hamilton article in Vanity Fair? (Doesn't every petrol-head have a subscription?)

I really don't like that guy, and the article just reinforces it. But that man can drive the wheels off a race car.

What was/is it that makes you not like the person? I mean other than the fact that he’s vegan?

Watching practices and races, he’s a little dirty and whines a lot. But I actually thought the article was interesting re everything else he’s dabbling in outside of F1.

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

What was/is it that makes you not like the person? I mean other than the fact that he’s vegan?

Watching practices and races, he’s a little dirty and whines a lot. But I actually thought the article was interesting re everything else he’s dabbling in outside of F1.

I don't consider him dirty. In fact, it's obvious that he's the fucking man when it comes to driving a race car. Him and Max are 1A/1B in my eyes. Whines? Ohhhh yeah. 

As for my dislike of him via the article, I'm not going to dive into it because I can't even really put into the words. Just sometimes people rub you the wrong way.

• Hook 'Em 1

lewis will forever be that type of person.  complete polarity.  he is like a lockdown cornerback...the type of person that absolutely rubs people the wrong way or you fucking love him for the way he is.  i think part of it is he is just so god damned euro-trashy and he embodies everything about that essence.  he's one of the greatest drivers of all time and you feel like you could kick his ass by just shoving him.  a little smarmy. kind of like neymar in the soccer world.

the next guest letterman interview with him on netflix was really enjoyable and gave me a bit more appreciation for him.  i liked him a lot more afterwards. i also enjoyed a lot of the footage of him cart racing as a kid.  but he's still lewis and i really wish he would quit with the constant whining.  yes, sometimes he has a legitimate gripe (like the entire front half of a competitor car is hovering an inch above your head) but don't act like you haven't gotten away with more than your fair share.

is it time to race again yet?

Lewis has a pretty long and well-documented history of being a bit of a hypocritical douchebag over the years, specifically on environmental and health/nutrition type of stuff.  Very judgmental and not so good at practicing what he preaches.  We've talked about it ad nauseum on these threads and I don't feel the need to rehash it, but suffice to say there are plenty of people that don't like Lewis and it's not entirely because of his success. 

All THAT said, in my opinion he has matured tremendously over the past 4-5 years and I haven't really noticed him being too over the top in the hypocrisy lately. I'm willing to give most folks a second chance as well as the opportunity to change and improve as people, and he seems to be doing that.  

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

All THAT said, in my opinion he has matured tremendously over the past 4-5 years and I haven't really noticed him being too over the top in the hypocrisy lately. I'm willing to give most folks a second chance as well as the opportunity to change and improve as people, and he seems to be doing that.  

He used to give off a very cliched and manufactured vibe, but now he exudes much more calm and authenticity. In a similar way how vettel used to be a huge brat, then turned into the cool big brother of the grid.

I’m a fan of his now, except for the outlandish fashion  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

2ce93a9b165e9b60f8867dca2127dd0e.jpg
One of my in-laws did that race and got to meet him. Big F1 fan.
Pretty cool.

Son and I saw he was here and were going to go up to Steamboat yesterday but last minute had to stay in Denver for the weekend so we missed it.  I would have liked to meet Bottas.

• Like 1