Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Maybe now, but it seemed reasonable this past year because we sat in the family section. Kid got in free. Plus, I think this is in C$, so even less for USD:

image.png.71967849656d89d21152b9d20e2a84bb.png

I mean, COTA is charging $399 per person for GA tickets? Canada was way cheaper.

I was thinking total cost. Short notice airfare and hotel, etc. But if you live within driving distance and have a sex tent, that changes things.

Canada 3 day Grandstand tickets start at $250 pp, and they have 3 grandstands under $300 for 3 days. For COTA this year, you'd pay $400 pp + fees and taxes for 3 day GA passes. That doesn't include the great deal you get at Montreal's family grandstand.

^Oh, and that's $250 Canadian, which is about $190 US, and that's 2023 Canada pricing vs 2022 COTA pricing.

So $190 pp 3 day GS in Canada vs $400+ pp 3 day GA at COTA.

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, wood said:

^Oh, and that's $250 Canadian, which is about $190 US, and that's 2023 Canada pricing vs 2022 COTA pricing.

So $190 pp 3 day GS in Canada vs $400+ pp 3 day GA at COTA.

But what if I like sitting in a cow pasture out by the airport instead of in the middle of the St. Lawrence River in what's actually a park?

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

But what if I like sitting in a cow pasture out by the airport instead of in the middle of the St. Lawrence River in what's actually a park?

Ha! I guess in that scenario, you're out of luck.

BTW, my bad. The $250 in Canada is GA, not a GS, so the cheapest grandstand there is $275, or about $208 US.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

BTW, my bad. The $250 in Canada is GA, not a GS, so the cheapest grandstand there is $275, or about $208 US.

Yeah, would not recommend GA in Montreal. It's one thing that's nice about COTA is that GA is pretty good. 

a buddy and i are both big time F1 fans. if we decided to go to COTA together, is it better to go on FRI or SAT if we were considering 1 day.
or is the actual pro move to just go to Montreal for the F1 weekend? wish i lived close enough to Canada to just drive in for Friday+Sat, drive home and watch the race Sunday from the couch.
Montreal was a great experience. You won't regret it if you do that.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, NoName said:
any idea of a very general ballpark how much am i looking at per person for Montreal?

I think we paid 400 each for Lance Stroll grandstand (hairpin). Hotels, airfare and food cost a lot more than that. Hotel was 700/ night and it was a good, but not great hotel. Very cool city, though.

Wow. When I went in 2010 I flew to Hartford, then drove a rental to Montreal. Then I stayed farther out. Saved a lot of money that way. But even in 2017, we stayed at a 2BR AirBNB in a nice neighborhood not far from downtown for about $100 a night. Metro was a block away, so it was easy to get anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, NoName said:
any idea of a very general ballpark how much am i looking at per person for Montreal?

I think we paid 400 each for Lance Stroll grandstand (hairpin). Hotels, airfare and food cost a lot more than that. Hotel was 700/ night and it was a good, but not great hotel. Very cool city, though.

Wooooof. I think we paid about $1,200 for four nights at this place:

https://terrasse-royale.com/

Cool little hotel in a neighborhood right next to the park and metro. Also had a grocery store across the street we went seemingly every day for this and that. Had to transfer a couple of times on the metro to get to the track, but no big deal at all. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

31 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, NoName said:
a buddy and i are both big time F1 fans. if we decided to go to COTA together, is it better to go on FRI or SAT if we were considering 1 day.
or is the actual pro move to just go to Montreal for the F1 weekend? wish i lived close enough to Canada to just drive in for Friday+Sat, drive home and watch the race Sunday from the couch.

Montreal was a great experience. You won't regret it if you do that.

45 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, would not recommend GA in Montreal. It's one thing that's nice about COTA is that GA is pretty good. 

47 minutes ago, wood said:

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, NoName said:

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Wooooof. I think we paid about $1,200 for four nights at this place:

https://terrasse-royale.com/

Cool little hotel in a neighborhood right next to the park and metro. Also had a grocery store across the street we went seemingly every day for this and that. Had to transfer a couple of times on the metro to get to the track, but no big deal at all. 

i know there are going to be other NA locations in the future but let's be honest, i have zero interest in going to Miami or Vegas for a F1 race.

thank y'all for the info!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i know there are going to be other NA locations in the future but let's be honest, i have zero interest in going to Miami or Vegas for a F1 race.

Ha! Me either. For North America, it would be:

Montreal
Austin
Mexico City

Miami
Las Vegas

With maybe Mexico City/Austin flip flopped. If I spoke Spanish, however...

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Montreal
Austin
Mexico City

Miami
Las Vegas

same with you on Mexico City - if i spoke fluent spanish that would be the easiest decision ever.

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Montreal
Austin
Mexico City

Miami
Las Vegas

Pretty much. I've never been for the GP, but MxC this past March was awesome, aeesome, awesome.

Re: the Spanish though, you don't really need it much. It's crazy how many people in Mexico speak English now.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, NoName said:

One of the best things we did in Montreal was make sure our hotel was right on the metro.  The metro in Montreal is fantastic.  Very safe, clean, well lit and it goes everywhere you want to go.  The only times we took cabs was to/from the airport.  Metro even takes you to the track.

And based on what I've read about other tracks, I might go back to Montreal before I go to any other track, especially in North America.  Vegas is the only one I think I'd want to see, but I'll pass on year 1 for that.  Let them work out the kinks first.  Son is pushing for Mexico City, but I think I'd rather just go visit there than go to a race there.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wood said:

Wow. When I went in 2010 I flew to Hartford, then drove a rental to Montreal. Then I stayed farther out. Saved a lot of money that way. But even in 2017, we stayed at a 2BR AirBNB in a nice neighborhood not far from downtown for about $100 a night. Metro was a block away, so it was easy to get anywhere.

We would probably do an Airbnb if we go back and find one out in a neighborhood but still on the Metro.  Metro access trumps all other considerations.

We stayed at the Hotel Bonaventure.  I think it was ~300/night for the first couple nights we were there, but Thurs-Sat nights was 700 because of the race.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

We would probably do an Airbnb if we go back and find one out in a neighborhood but still on the Metro.  Metro access trumps all other considerations.

We stayed at the Hotel Bonaventure.  I think it was ~300/night for the first couple nights we were there, but Thurs-Sat nights was 700 because of the race.

Absolutely. we were a block from the Laurier stop, in Plateau Mont Royal (on the other side of Mont Royal from downtown). And yeah, their metro is easily the best I've ever seen.

Edited by wood

18 minutes ago, wood said:

Absolutely. we were a block from the Laurier stop, in Plateau Mont Royal (on the other side of Mont Royal from downtown). And yeah, their metro is easily the best I've ever seen.

That's hilarious.  That's where wife wants to stay if we go back.  We ate at Au Pied de Cochon (got off at Mont Royal stop) and it was fan-fucking-tastic - definitely deserves another visit if we make it back.  3 of us had a whole pig's head that was the special and my oldest had the duck in a can with foie gras.  It was all amazing.  That is a cool neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

That's hilarious.  That's where wife wants to stay if we go back.  We ate at Au Pied de Cochon (got off at Mont Royal stop) and it was fan-fucking-tastic - definitely deserves another visit if we make it back.  3 of us had a whole pig's head that was the special and my oldest had the duck in a can with foie gras.  It was all amazing.  That is a cool neighborhood.

Yeah it's a pretty vibrant area. If you want a very good breakfast/lunch place with great pricing, there's a little diner on Laurier called Chez Claudette. Cook takes your order directly and cooks it up while you watch (if you sit at the bar. Fantastic breakfast. One funny thing is there's also a DQ nearby. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, wood said:

Hey, hey, I was told all the Queso/TexMex talk belongs in the 'Tell Me About Texas a&m' thread.

But yeah, queso and damn near anything ftw.

Also on the ABIA shitshow thread and the UTSA gameday thread.

But definitely NOT on the taco thread or Tex-Mex thread.  That would be crazy.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lewis Hamilton says that Whataburger is overrated. Max Verstappen said we have the best BBQ.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

They are both right.  Never got the love for Whataburger and I gave it lots and lots of chances as a broke college student.

Yeah, both are true. WB had been slowly slipping for years, and Chicago ownership accelerated the decline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Went back and looked at my statements for my Montreal trip this year for my gf and I. Right around $6k for the two of us. We didn't go too hard on meals, one nice-ish dinner at Vargas, the rest not super fancy. The flights were pretty obscene, I must've booked those a tad late. Hotel was a couple of blocks from the Place De Arms Metro station, so all the getting around was by the metro. Love that damn city though, the third time I have been there.

• $1800 - Hotel AC Marriott Downtown four nights
  • $2300! - Air Canada Flights
  • $890 - F1 tickets in the Lance Stroll grandstand
  • $1000 or so for meals, drinking, random spending
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, faps said:

Went back and looked at my statements for my Montreal trip this year for my gf and I. Right around $6k for the two of us. We didn't go too hard on meals, one nice-ish dinner at Vargas, the rest not super fancy. The flights were pretty obscene, I must've booked those a tad late. Hotel was a couple of blocks from the Place De Arms Metro station, so all the getting around was by the metro. Love that damn city though, the third time I have been there.

• $1800 - Hotel AC Marriott Downtown four nights
  • $2300! - Air Canada Flights
  • $890 - F1 tickets in the Lance Stroll grandstand
  • $1000 or so for meals, drinking, random spending

Well damn, now you got me interested. Looked it up:

$1,285 USD for airfare for three.
$444 USD for GP tickets.
$1,060 USD for hotel four nights
~$300-500 USD on meals, metro, Uber etc.

The thing is that I bet the flights would still be about that now (booked late December 2021 before airfare went nuts). The hotel would be way less. And then no GP tickets. I bet if I went a non-race weekend, I could do it for about $2,000 for four days for three people.

Dang. I may have to do that. 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Well damn, now you got me interested. Looked it up:

$1,285 USD for airfare for three.
$444 USD for GP tickets.
$1,060 USD for hotel four nights
~$300-500 USD on meals, metro, Uber etc.

The thing is that I bet the flights would still be about that now (booked late December 2021 before airfare went nuts). The hotel would be way less. And then no GP tickets. I bet if I went a non-race weekend, I could do it for about $2,000 for four days for three people.

Dang. I may have to do that. 

I would love to go back, but it's going to take a while before I'm willing to fly with Air Canada again...

• Hook 'Em 1

They continually kept changing my flights. The first time was major -- and they changed my flight to one that landed after the next leg was set to depart. After getting that cleared up, they kept sending me these message of "Action Required" to confirm flights that would move literally 1-2 minutes in departure time.

image.png.834f824cbe5ed6c4469e34d11ca199cd.png

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

They continually kept changing my flights. The first time was major -- and they changed my flight to one that landed after the next leg was set to depart. After getting that cleared up, they kept sending me these message of "Action Required" to confirm flights that would move literally 1-2 minutes in departure time.

image.png.834f824cbe5ed6c4469e34d11ca199cd.png

Those fucking texts gave me PTSD.  Phone buzzes and you know you just got fucked.  

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Spanish Grand Prix

main grandstand tickets (2) $1100

plane tickets - points

Airbnb - $500

F1 Experience pass - free a buddy hooked me up

Few hundred on meals

Not exactly 'insider info' here, but if any of y'all ever get over to Barcelona, don't skip La Sagrada Familia. Truly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, and I'm not even religious. Take the tour and see it up close. Even seeing it from right across the street doesn't even come close to doing it justice. /csb

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So having only been a fan for a few years and missing the 2019 Singapore GP, this will be my first time to watch the race. I've watched highlights and onboards. It looks fucking terrifying. 

Terrifying and fun. Try to find some videos of F1 drivers taking civilians around a track or especially a highway. Driver is always so cool, as if it were every-day, and passenger is shitting their pants.

Here's one set. Scroll down for Damon Hill driving a street Merc. Passenger ends up hurling out the window.

https://carsalesbase.com/watch-racing-drivers-scare-passengers/