Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Maybe someone can refresh my memory. I thought I had read that the engine limit would be raised at X number of races. Anyone remember?

Either way, even if they raise it, they still won't raise it enough, and engine limits are beyond idiotic in the first place. They don't save money. They cost more money and penalize drivers and teams unnecessarily. They aren't 'green', either. They're building more engines because of engine limits than they ever were before with no limits, and these engines are far more expensive.

Edited by wood

17 minutes ago, wood said:

Maybe someone can refresh my memory. I thought I had read that the engine limit would be raised at X number of races. Anyone remember?

Either way, even if they raise it, they still won't raise it enough, and engine limits are beyond idiotic in the first place. They don't save money. They cost more money and penalize drivers and teams unnecessarily. They aren't 'green', either. They're building more engines because of engine limits than they ever were before with no limits, and these engines are far more expensive.

I understand the concept of it - don't have the big dogs bring new engines to every race. Just set up a reasonable number and roll from there.

12 hours ago, Superhero said:

Watch starting at 3:10. Did she just call him a "mother fuck you" followed by an Italian hand gesture?

image.png.831bc7ec7fdb47064e6f523fe00e4d75.png

I think I love her.

[edit] Actually anything from 2:40 on is just pure gold.

Actually first she called him a shit and told him to go F himself, specifically.   As an Italian, I found it all very amusing.  She was really getting on his case because he told her he wasn't going to drive like that.

Edited by texasdago
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:10 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

New F1 camera 

that camera was great in the practices but for some reason shit bricks when they cut to it during the race.  be cool to see at indianapolis and any of the big nascar tracks

Edited by elfenix

On 9/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, VABuckeye said:

Spanish Grand Prix

main grandstand tickets (2) $1100

plane tickets - points

Airbnb - $500

F1 Experience pass - free a buddy hooked me up

Few hundred on meals

emilia romagna gp:

rivazza "grand stand" - € 261.44 (this was a bit over $300 after bullshit credit card fees because it wasn't taking my sapphire card so used paypal, should have asked my cousin if i could borrow a computer instead of using my phone)

plane tix - $791

abnb - $105

i need to go through my pics for that one

• Hook 'Em 1

Green, sustainable F1, lol. Gotta make sure everyone knows how 'green' they are by using a crazy complex engine, but when it comes to actually doing something meaningful about it, they just say "Nah. Pffft. Let's add some more races"

f5wcm2bi42p91.png

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

Random calendar thoughts:

- The thing is, they don't have to drop venues off the calendar completely if they start using rotations for some of them.  And throw Istanbul & Malaysia into that rotation (except Malaysia doesn't want F1 because they can't make money on it). 

- Germany (Hockenheim) and France (Magny Cours) should also be there as well.

- I heard France was supposed to be on the 2023 calendar, but Alpine took it for granted and let it slip away.

- Bahrain: Use the outer circuit every other year.

- There are about 15 core races that I think should probably be on the calendar every year or at least most years: Australia, Monaco, Spain, Canada, Austria, UK, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Singapore, Japan, USA, Mexico, Brazil. Of that group, I personally wouldn't miss Silverstone if it were gone, but there's gonna be a British GP somewhere, and it's probably gonna be there & not Brands Hatch or Donington. 

- Bring back gravel everywhere that you can. They work. Asphalt runoffs do not. Make the circuit itself self-policing.

- A rotation brings more variety and less predictability to the calendar, instead of pretty much the same thing every year (until covid hit).

- A rotation would also reduce the workload on people who work in F1. BTW, with a cost cap and more races, are the teams gonna pay their employees more money for the increased workload? Are they going to start rotating employees in and out from event to event to prevent burnout?

Edited by wood

11 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Jeddah, Miami, China, and Qatar.

China isn't going anywhere, it's literally the single largest market when it comes to unique viewers and they want to grow that market over the next X years.

Miami can be dropped into the ocean as far as I care. Someone is going to get squeezed in the US when it comes to races - worried it may be Austin, was there ever any confirmation they got a new deal with COTA?

here were significant rises in season cumulative audience in several markets, including many of F1's biggest markets. The Netherlands stood out with an increase of +81% Year on Year, but there were also significant gains in the USA (+58% YoY), France (+48% YoY), Italy (+40% YoY) and the UK (+39% YoY).

TV unique viewers (the number of individuals that tune into at least one race during the season) for 2021 stood at 445m (+3% YoY). The biggest market on this metric was China (70.8m unique viewers in 2021, +13% vs 2020), but there were also significant YoY gains in Spain (+272%), Russia (+129%), and the USA (+53%).

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

China isn't going anywhere, it's literally the single largest market when it comes to unique viewers and they want to grow that market over the next X years.

Miami can be dropped into the ocean as far as I care. Someone is going to get squeezed in the US when it comes to races - worried it may be Austin, was there ever any confirmation they got a new deal with COTA?

Yeah as I recall COTA got a 5-year deal last year, I think.  This is the first year in the new deal, so it should be good for 5 races.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, wood said:

- Bring back gravel everywhere that you can. They work. Asphalt runoffs do not. Make the circuit itself self-policing.

the tracks want asphalt runoff not just for moto GP but all the track days they host that pay the bills the rest the year.  can't have a punter demolishing a car or getting it stuck and cutting everyone's day off. 

something ant davidson said in the 6 hours fuji broadcast was that they only need a meter of grass on the outside of the track - there can be tarmac or whatever beyond that for the punters.  maybe that can be done. 

34 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the tracks want asphalt runoff not just for moto GP but all the track days they host that pay the bills the rest the year.  can't have a punter demolishing a car or getting it stuck and cutting everyone's day off. 

something ant davidson said in the 6 hours fuji broadcast was that they only need a meter of grass on the outside of the track - there can be tarmac or whatever beyond that for the punters.  maybe that can be done. 

Sure, I've seen numerous solutions that would work. All you need is a surface starting no further than about a meter or so from the edge of the track that will slow cars down when they've exceeded the limit.  Anything that makes them lose time will keep em honest. Outside of that surface, they could use conventional paved runoff again. They can also use sensors at the edge to determine if a car has run too far wide. Then you don't need to change the runoff, but the penalty isn't immediate. The best solution will be one that penalizes a driver immediately.

I'd agree with grass, too, but the common objection there is that it and astroturf aren't durable enough to withstand the traction of the cars, and dirt ends up getting thrown onto the track.

In this world of high-tech polymers, non-skid surfaces, slippery surfaces, hydrophobics, etc, there has to be a surface that could be applied to handle the problem.

If I'm being unbiased, I think Austin has to be at least in consideration in my 24->20.

Or maybe I am biased. The layout is great, but the track itself sucks, it's set in the middle of a cow pasture out by the airport (not scenic at all), and the city doesn't really seem to be in the same peer group as Singapore or Barcelona or Montreal or Mexico City.

58 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If I'm being unbiased, I think Austin has to be at least in consideration in my 24->20.

Or maybe I am biased. The layout is great, but the track itself sucks, it's set in the middle of a cow pasture out by the airport (not scenic at all), and the city doesn't really seem to be in the same peer group as Singapore or Barcelona or Montreal or Mexico City.

33 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Austin is the odd one out, sure, but everyone loves coming here - fans, teams, fans of teams - and the layout is up there with the best. My biggest gripe is with how it's put on, but I would/will be a little sad to see Austin cut from the calendar. 

Do people think Austin is a worse track than Miami? Vegas is TBD, but don't think *anyone* is ever going to say it's some fantastic track.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

Do people think Austin is a worse track than Miami? Vegas is TBD, but don't think *anyone* is ever going to say it's some fantastic track.

You never know re: Vegas. People said the same thing about Baku, but it's raced pretty nicely so far. With this year's cars, it should be even better. IMHO you never really know how the racing will be on a track until there have been some races.

Re: Austin, Tavo's layout is fantastic, minus the stadium section imho. The problems with COTA are the ever-changing track surface conditions and the terrible/inadequate logistics. In other words: Bobby Epstein. 

Honorable mention: the subterfuge directed at other projects from the COTA camp.

22 minutes ago, wood said:

You never know re: Vegas. People said the same thing about Baku, but it's raced pretty nicely so far. With this year's cars, it should be even better. IMHO you never really know how the racing will be on a track until there have been some races.

Re: Austin, Tavo's layout is fantastic, minus the stadium section imho. The problems with COTA are the ever-changing track surface conditions and the terrible/inadequate logistics. In other words: Bobby Epstein. 

Honorable mention: the subterfuge directed at other projects from the COTA camp.

i just generally don't think that street tracks are almost ever going to be impressive, especially when they are not permanent. i would love for Vegas to be an instant classic, just don't see it happening.

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The long straight down the Vegas strip is gonna be pretty awesome.  I think it might be worth it just for that.

Yep. Like I say about every new track, I'll reserve judgement until they race on it. Simple & few turns doesn't have to mean bad racing. Bahrain outer circuit and Austria are two good examples of that.

I also remember legions of people saying the racing was going to suck at COTA, that it was a cookie-cutter Tilkedrome, etc. Didn't work out that way, but who knows re: Vegas.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just to be sure, when I say the track sucks, I mean the fact there are bumps everywhere. I like the actual course. 

One of my friends has a host at Cosmo.  She's a mid level guest, but always gets us nice comped rooms and other deals.  The last time we went to Vegas, she had to meet with a host before we left.  All of the hosts at Cosmo have to do a turn at the help desk every week for a few hours.  She ended up dealing with one who works exclusively with F1 folks.  She had absolutely no desire to give my friends any extra comps like she normally gets because my friend is a peon compared to the gazillionaires she is used to dealing with.  I don't even want to guess what the rooms we stay in for free are going to go for during the race weekend.

Edited by kevwun

Who is the worst driver in F1 outside of Latifi? Is it Stroll? Tsunoda? Mick?

I guess it has to be Tsunoda, right? Stroll seems pretty average and Mick seems like he's moved up to average.

Vettel sure seems like he's been bad, honestly. Hate to say it, but Ricciardo?