Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

We are sitting in row 3 of the main grandstand tomorrow. Should I pick ear protection? Last time at COTA was 2017, and we sat near the top of the turn 10 bleachers. Volume was nice in the open air, and different cars back then. 

You can, but I never wore them for F1 turbo era. For some of the support races, they will be handy.
Enjoy

32 minutes ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

We are sitting in row 3 of the main grandstand tomorrow. Should I pick ear protection? Last time at COTA was 2017, and we sat near the top of the turn 10 bleachers. Volume was nice in the open air, and different cars back then. 

We used the orange ear plugs you use for shooting in Montreal.  Worked great.  These cars are still plenty loud up close and personal, even if they're not crazy loud like the old ones.

2 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

You can, but I never wore them for F1 turbo era. For some of the support races, they will be handy.
Enjoy

Yeah I don't ever wear them.  We always watch at least one session in the main grandstands, and in the turbo hybrid era, ear protection just hasn't been necessary.  However, as @Goofyboy points out, some of the cars in the support races are louder than the F1 cars.  And since both support races are vintage cars, some of those are really loud.  You might want some when they're running.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

We used the orange ear plugs you use for shooting in Montreal.  Worked great.  These cars are still plenty loud up close and personal, even if they're not crazy loud like the old ones.

However, @Chewbacca is giving you the responsible advice, like a grown adult or something, and it's probably wise to listen to him. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, bring earplugs. It's not like they take up much space. The little insert in ear type are fine.

David Yeomans is saying 92 and very gusty on Sunday -- gusts up to 30 mph. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

David Yeomans is saying 92 and very gusty on Sunday -- gusts up to 30 mph. 

On top of the bumpy track with stiff suspensions and low profile tires, this could be a very tough weekend for the teams to get their heads around.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I don't ever wear them.  We always watch at least one session in the main grandstands, and in the turbo hybrid era, ear protection just hasn't been necessary.  However, as @Goofyboy points out, some of the cars in the support races are louder than the F1 cars.  And since both support races are vintage cars, some of those are really loud.  You might want some when they're running.

However, @Chewbacca is giving you the responsible advice, like a grown adult or something, and it's probably wise to listen to him. :)

Went in 2012 and ear protection was a must. Assumed the same for 2021, ear plugs weren’t even needed. 

Big new concession area on the hill behind T1, former Red Bull party deck at T1 is now the Big Red pavilion and grandstand. Starting to get packed out here.

Enduro legends race had a Cadillac DPi in Wayne Taylor Racing livery. Pretty sure that car ran at Petite 3 weeks ago (different livery ofc). Also a Peugeot 908 and a pair of Audi R8s.

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

The responsible dad did pack ear plugs for me and the kid. It's just loud enough to not need them.  😁

PXL_20221021_190212074.MP.jpg

On 10/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, faps said:

I was in the main grandstand (along with like 5 other people) when the Ferrari Corse Clienti was in town 5 years ago or so. You thought the V8's were loud... The V10's were face meltingly awesome.

Yeah, and the V10s sounded way better than the V8s. The V10s sound better than anything in my opinion. They're musical. You can hear and feel every throttle input, even the minute ones.

Went on Friday and did the bus from downtown. I was on the first bus in the morning and they seemed to run smoothly, though I did hear some stories of drivers getting lost. Came back after FP2. Food and drinks were good and I liked that they had water refill stations. Sun was brutal and shade was at a premium, but it's central Texas, so it is what it is.

Overall a great experience. Turn 12 was amazing. Loved the smell of the breaks.

• Like 1

So it looks like it's confirmed that Mateschitz says passed. I forgot he had been pretty sick for a while. My buddy got that directly from Adam Cooper, who is staying on his mom's property near the track, but I think there are some stories out about it now..

1 hour ago, MadTrapper said:

Went on Friday and did the bus from downtown. I was on the first bus in the morning and they seemed to run smoothly, though I did hear some stories of drivers getting lost. Came back after FP2. Food and drinks were good and I liked that they had water refill stations. Sun was brutal and shade was at a premium, but it's central Texas, so it is what it is.

Overall a great experience. Turn 12 was amazing. Loved the smell of the breaks.

We used the Waterloo Park shuttle and had zero problems. We started walking out the Main Grandstand about 7pm and I was pulling out of the  Waterloo parking garage at 8. 

• Like 1

So it looks like it's confirmed that Mateschitz says passed. I forgot he had been pretty sick for a while. My buddy got that directly from Adam Cooper, who is staying on his mom's property near the track, but I think there are some stories out about it now..
Wonder what happens to RBR going forward? Depends on the estate plan, i suppose. Much as i don't like them, seeing them sold off would feel wrong. Is this how Andretti gets into F1?