Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

6 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

RIC couldn't slow quickly enough and tapped him and spun him, then MAG drift d back after the spin and caught RIC rear wheel. Ended both of their races.

Bullshit. That was totally on Ricciardo.  Just like Norris taking out LeClerc was on Norris.  Call a spade a spade.  It was terrible driving. 

4 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Bullshit. That was totally on Ricciardo.  Just like Norris taking out LeClerc was on Norris.  Call a spade a spade.  It was terrible driving. 

I didn't take his post as a defense of Danny. I think he caused it too. However, Danny has been handed a 3 spot grid drop for Abu Dhabi, and 2 penalty points. Same penalty Stroll got for trying to kill Alonso in Austin.

What a joke. None of this shit makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's not a team sport, but it's not, not a team sport. Checo has been a consummate pro for 2 years. Holding up Lewis, towing Max around on a qualifying lap, letting him go by easily every single time Max is behind him, etc. The ONE chance that Max has to give him--and the team--a boost, at the cost of 2 completely irrelevant points, he blows him off.
It would be one thing if we were talking about podium positions--which is why it was kind of pathetic that Leclerc wanted Sainz to surrender 3rd--but we're talking P6 and P7.

*consummate pro except for crashing at Monaco earlier this year to screw his teammate

I’m a Max fan and thought what he did today was shitty. But what’s becoming clear to me is that a lot of these guys are egomaniacs and given to being shitheads if the moment suits them, and also that the teams don’t really matter to them. It’s hard to blame them when teams are so quick to replace drivers. Gotta look out for yourself.

I suppose you have to have some of that in you to become an F1 driver in the first place; Max seems to have more of it than most.

Lewis doesn’t seem genuinely happy about George, but that’s just me watching body language and emotion. Who knows what he’s really thinking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lewis probably sees George as a legitimate threat, unlike Bottas ever was, and much like Nico was.  If there's one thing Lewis really hates, it's a teammate who is a legitimate threat, rather than a "good wingman."  So yeah, I doubt he actually likes the current situation with George all that much, regardless of what he might say publicly.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anyway, I finished the race late last night.  I have no idea what has happened to Ricciardo.  It's sad and tough to watch.

Crazy race otherwise.  As @woodpointed  out, Fred had an amazing drive, plus all the extra drama.  

And Max is a dick.  It's not like this is news.

But it never fails to crack me up, watching Lewis fanbois attack him, and then turn around and defend or ignore years and years of Lewis dickishness.

<theOffice>They're the same.  It's the same picture.</theOffice>

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

What are y’all’s thoughts on the relationship between Lewis and George. It seems like they work well together though I’m sure it would be different if Lewis is in the hunt for his 8th and George has enough pace to win races as well. 

it's absolutely, 100% going to go hot next year if MB is actually contending for WDC or WCC.

9 hours ago, wood said:

I didn't take his post as a defense of Danny. I think he caused it too. However, Danny has been handed a 3 spot grid drop for Abu Dhabi, and 2 penalty points. Same penalty Stroll got for trying to kill Alonso in Austin.

What a joke. None of this shit makes sense.

There's no consistency to penalties because of a few things in my view.  1) There is definitely a hierarchy of drivers in the stewards minds.  2) The stewards are not professional stewards.  They're probably buddies of FIA people.  3) There's no clear cut set of rules that determines that if A happens then B is the penalty.  They're making it up as they go.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

There's no consistency to penalties because of a few things in my view.  1) There is definitely a hierarchy of drivers in the stewards minds.  2) The stewards are not professional stewards.  They're probably buddies of FIA people.  3) There's no clear cut set of rules that determines that if A happens then B is the penalty.  They're making it up as they go.

not having a professional group to determine this stuff while F1 is making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (and MbS owning it) is bush league

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A few thoughts...

1. The FIA needs dedicated stewards and clear rules & penalties.

2. I hate seeing Danny Ric going out like this.  He is (or at least was) a good F1 driver, and I hope he can regain that form if/when he gets another seat

3. As a Red Bull fan, I have been rooting for Max.  He has an ego (like they all do at that level), but I thought he had grown up some over the last couple of years.  Guess I was wrong.  :/

Edited by morehornsepower
spelling is hard

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Yep. This is just exhibit #87,147,964,231 of why F1 needs dedicated, well-trained, periodically evaluated, traveling stewards,, using a defined system to consistently enforce the rules and levy penalties. Big 12 refs would do a better job, and that's some scary shit..

• Haha 1

Oh, and another little bit from this weekend: First there was the shot of Alonso in RBR territory laughing it up with Horner, and now this revelation of apparent bad blood between Max and Perez and the intentional spin at Monaco. Hmm ... Interesting weekend.

Yeah I hadn't even heard of an intentional spin at Monaco.  That's news to me.

I think the NFL is another entity that makes billions and doesn't have full-time professional referees/stewards, right?  That was the case for decades anyway.

There's very little excuse for it in the NFL given their profits, and F1 would be even easier and require far fewer professionals.  Just no excuse at all not to have qualified, vetted, permanent, professional stewards that are given (or develop) consistent rules and punishments, and enforce them universally.

• Hook 'Em 1

I said it awhile back, I want Max to go full heel.  Just shoot the drama straight in my veins. George Russell's first win and Mercedes 1-2, and it's the third biggest story of the weekend.

I think a chart of drama would also be helpful.

We know that:

Max x Lewis
Alonso x Ocon
Lewis x Russel (possible vibes?)
Checo x Max
Leclerc x Norris (? saw something about him flipping off Norris in Brazil)

Seems like the past couple of years everyone except Max and Lewis were buddies despite being in arguably the most pressure-packed sport on the planet. Let's get the gloves off.

"Max, I heard that Checo said you're fat. Any response?" 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I hadn't even heard of an intentional spin at Monaco.  That's news to me.

I think the NFL is another entity that makes billions and doesn't have full-time professional referees/stewards, right?  That was the case for decades anyway.

There's very little excuse for it in the NFL given their profits, and F1 would be even easier and require far fewer professionals.  Just no excuse at all not to have qualified, vetted, permanent, professional stewards that are given (or develop) consistent rules and punishments, and enforce them universally.

Yeah, none of us had, right? The funny thing is that it seems to have already been well known in the Paddock. Brundle immediately said it must be about Monaco. I do remember seeing that spin and thinking it was a bit strange at that corner, but it didn't occur to me at the time that it looked intentional. Now that I've seen the onboards of that lap and the previous one for comparison, it sure looks very suspiscious imho.

Yeah the NFL has no excuse either. They do a pretty decent job most of the time imho, but it could be better with dedicated refs.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I said it awhile back, I want Max to go full heel.  Just shoot the drama straight in my veins. George Russell's first win and Mercedes 1-2, and it's the third biggest story of the weekend.

I think a chart of drama would also be helpful.

We know that:

Max x Lewis
Alonso x Ocon
Lewis x Russel (possible vibes?)
Checo x Max
Leclerc x Norris (? saw something about him flipping off Norris in Brazil)

Seems like the past couple of years everyone except Max and Lewis were buddies despite being in arguably the most pressure-packed sport on the planet. Let's get the gloves off.

"Max, I heard that Checo said you're fat. Any response?" 

Just wait for Ocon v Gasly. Gonna be fireworks there.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Just wait for Ocon v Gasly. Gonna be fireworks there.

Two Frenchman battle to be the best. In 2023, the scarves and berets are coming off.

Get your baguettes ready.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Two Frenchman battle to be the best. In 2023, the scarves and berets are coming off.

Get your baguettes ready.

I have visions of this scene, but in the Alpine garage. (just pretend both sides are French, Ocon in the castle, Gasly on the ground)

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Show us on the doll where the sports drink touched you G
Show us on the doll where the sports drink touched you G

Dietrich Mateschitz was a half step from being a fucking Nazi. Fuck that guy. Add in Chris Horner, peak Vettel and now the walking colostomy bag that is Max Verstappen and yeah they can all get fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Red Bull is a "sports drink?"

I thought it was pretty much a coke-replacement for teens, or a vodka mixer for twenty-somethings whose bodies have not yet completely failed them?

Either way, it's nasty. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Dietrich Mateschitz was a half step from being a fucking Nazi. Fuck that guy. Add in Chris Horner, peak Vettel and now the walking colostomy bag that is Max Verstappen and yeah they can all get fucked.

One more to the drama chart:

G650 x Max

1 hour ago, wood said:

Oh, and another little bit from this weekend: First there was the shot of Alonso in RBR territory laughing it up with Horner, and now this revelation of apparent bad blood between Max and Perez and the intentional spin at Monaco. Hmm ... Interesting weekend.

are there actual rumors of what you are hinting at or just wisps of smoke

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

well now i am legitimately curious who your team is

when WWII ended Mateschnitz was like 16 months old? also, who calls Horner "Chris"

Just now, NoName said:

well now i am legitimately curious who your team is

when WWII ended Mateschnitz was like 16 months old? also, who calls Horner "Chris"

I'm an acknowledged McLaren fan, as embarrassing as that is. I've owned up to it many times.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

are there actual rumors of what you are hinting at or just wisps of smoke

There's a lot out there. Brundle was talking about it while George was celebrating with his team, and others have talked about it as well. The gist is that Perez spun in Monaco Q3 to preserve his position ahead of Max, who was on pace to beat him out and maybe even get pole. Supposedly Perez admitted it to Marko and/or Horner after being confronted about the telemetry. This was right after RBR had extended Perez, but before they announced the extension a few days later.

Here are the videos I referred to earlier. Little to no attempt to correct the oversteer, and check out the difference between the throttle inputs in these two videos.

Here's the lap before the spin:

Here's the lap of the spin:

15 hours ago, wood said:

It's very much a team sport, which is why only the WCC classification pays prize money. The WDC standing pays nothing and was only included (by Bernie iirc) to add drama, conflict, and spice, which it has done in spades and continues to do.

Speaking of the team sport aspect ... Nice. Ol' Nando's pretty damn strong for his size. Picking up that big boy is no joke.

the WDC is 8 years older than the WCC.  bernie was racing junior formula at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the WDC is 8 years older than the WCC.  bernie was racing junior formula at the time. 

Yeah, my bad.  I was wondering about it when I posted, but was too lazy to look it up & it was late. Now that I've slept and can think about it a little more clearly, iirc Bernie introduced the WCC and the prize money for it, while intentionally excluding the WDC from prize money payouts.

39 minutes ago, wood said:

There's a lot out there. Brundle was talking about it while George was celebrating with his team, and others have talked about it as well. The gist is that Perez spun in Monaco Q3 to preserve his position ahead of Max, who was on pace to beat him out and maybe even get pole. Supposedly Perez admitted it to Marko and/or Horner after being confronted about the telemetry. This was right after RBR had extended Perez, but before they announced the extension a few days later.

Here are the videos I referred to earlier. Little to no attempt to correct the oversteer, and check out the difference between the throttle inputs in these two videos.

Here's the lap before the spin:

Here's the lap of the spin:

sorry was meaning the Alonso stuff, not the Checho stuff! yeah, he sure seems to have done it on purpose and it sure appears that it was an open secret in the paddock.

I was not defending RIC. The initial tap was all on Daniel. I added the rest because it was just unfortunate that their rear wheels then connected because both drivers could have continued without that. I don't think MAG drifting back was anything bad he did, he's trying to be out of the way and was stuck in a bad spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

sorry was meaning the Alonso stuff, not the Checho stuff! yeah, he sure seems to have done it on purpose and it sure appears that it was an open secret in the paddock.

Re: Alonso, there was a pic posted on reddit of Alonso sitting and chatting/laughing with Horner and others (Marko?) in RBR's paddock digs. I think it was on the Sky feed, but I never actually saw it on the broadcast. No solid indication of what was going on, but it's interesting imho.

ffpzkby0rgz91.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Red Bull is a "sports drink?"

I thought it was pretty much a coke-replacement for teens, or a vodka mixer for twenty-somethings whose bodies have not yet completely failed them?

Fair. Should have said energy drink. Full disclosure: I do enjoy an occasional RBV in Vegas or at music festivals. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah, my bad.  I was wondering about it when I posted, but was too lazy to look it up & it was late. Now that I've slept and can think about it a little more clearly, iirc Bernie introduced the WCC and the prize money for it, while intentionally excluding the WDC from prize money payouts.

no idea when prize money became exclusively for WCC points but bernie was driving in his only F1 season when the WCC started. maybe it was 1979 when they changed how points were awarded from only the top placed car in each race.  that was a year after bernie took over FOCA. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I do think Vettel was a product of the Red Bull machine, though. The “finger boy” stuff was really annoying back then for sure (plus multi 21, etc). His persona even carried over into Ferrari a bit (like when he got red mist and rammed Lewis at Baku), but he’s chilled massively since then and seems like a great dude.

25 minutes ago, elfenix said:

no idea when prize money became exclusively for WCC points but bernie was driving in his only F1 season when the WCC started. maybe it was 1979 when they changed how points were awarded from only the top placed car in each race.  that was a year after bernie took over FOCA. 

Yeah it's weird, I can't find any history of when WCC prize money payouts began. I remember seeing or hearing Bernie talking about the juxtaposition of the two championships and the effect of the resulting conflict it produced between the teams, who want the payout and get nothing from the WDC other than prestige, and the drivers, who all want to finish as high up in the WDC as they can. Maybe that's why I was thinking he's the one who created that distinction.

Edited by wood

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do think Vettel was a product of the Red Bull machine, though. The “finger boy” stuff was really annoying back then for sure (plus multi 21, etc). His persona even carried over into Ferrari a bit (like when he got red mist and rammed Lewis at Baku), but he’s chilled massively since then and seems like a great dude.

Yeah I agree completely. He has become one of my favorite drivers amazingly.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I like Checo, but damn I kinda want to see what Alonso is still capable of with a fast car.

We got a pretty nice view of that yesterday. Absolutely fanastic drive with incredible pace throughout, from the guy so many said was too old (2 years ago) to come back to F1. Zero doubt in my mind there's a championship or two left in the guy with a top ride. At RBR he'd at least get some race wins imho.

Edited by wood