Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

15 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Rumors starting that Binnito is on the way out at Ferrari. I’m not surprised if that happens

The next guy will be the same as the last guy.  They have a cultural problem at Ferrari and the last time they "fixed" it was basically though Schumi's sheer force of will, overpowering their tendencies and forcing them to reevaluate things from the bottom up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Rumors starting that Binnito is on the way out at Ferrari. I’m not surprised if that happens

Yeah I kinda figgered that when Mattia started missing races. I met him in Austin in 2013 when I was a guest of Shell. Nice guy, and seems like his heart is in the right place. Bleeds for Ferrari. Probably just better in more of a support role, like a football coach who is a great coordinator but isn't really cut out to be a head coach.

10 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Where are my drama folks at??

Max’s mom just brought up Perez allegedly (?) cheating on his wife on Instagram. Max taking over Red Bull? Red Bull kicking out Perez? Looks like a mess

We can all hope.

Only thing better would be some team-cratering instability at Merc.  A wide-open-wound Lewis-George rivalry, where they start wrecking each other out all the time.... that would be delicious. :)

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Where are my drama folks at??

Max’s mom just brought up Perez allegedly (?) cheating on his wife on Instagram. Max taking over Red Bull? Red Bull kicking out Perez? Looks like a mess

If theres people id ever listen to moral grandstanding from, its definitely the Verstappen family…

14 hours ago, Mittens said:

Poor guy asking here: what in the fuck is a Jeroboam?

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

If theres people id ever listen to moral grandstanding from, its definitely the Verstappen family…

Poor guy asking here: what in the fuck is a Jeroboam?

If you have to ask...

But anyway, it's a double magnum, so 3L which is the equivalent of four bottles.

Quick online search says it's probably worth around $1200-$2000 depending.

So really, a tiny fraction of your million dollars...

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If you have to ask...

But anyway, it's a double magnum, so 3L which is the equivalent of four bottles.

Should be bottomless Jeroboams for that package.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

If you have to ask...

It's amazing what some people with money will pay for these 'luxury packages' the perks of which usually have a true combined value of a fraction of what they're paying. It's the new frontier in sports business.

40 minutes ago, wood said:

It's amazing what some people with money will pay for these 'luxury packages' the perks of which usually have a true combined value of a fraction of what they're paying. It's the new frontier in sports business.

I doubt anyone ends up paying $1 million for a package like that.  More likely Wynn gives it away to some of their whales.

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I doubt anyone ends up paying $1 million for a package like that.  More likely Wynn gives it away to some of their whales.

Sure, then they can claim it on their taxes as a $1M business expense. But I see it everywhere now on a smaller scale, at every big sports event, at music venues, during travel, etc, etc. People are paying ridiculous prices left and right for packages with a few add-ons & a little special treatment.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Arent you kinda compelled to use the Butler for all 24hrs to get your moneys worth?

like, make him do backflips and shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, wood said:

In 18 years, Ferrari has had 5 team principals to RB's 1. Changing TPs so often is one of their biggest problems imho.

I mean, maybe.  Sort of.

But it's not unlike the head coaching position at Texas.  Mack needed to be fired when he was fired.  Charlie needed to be fired.  Tom Herman needed to be fired. And Sark probably will need to be fired in the near future.

Just because you keep firing people and thus ensuring instability and turmoil, doesn't mean the bad hires you made during the process, should be kept around.

Ferrari's cultural problems are lodged at a much higher level than the team principal, and thus replacing the team principal never solves the actual problem.  

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, utee94 said:

Ferrari's cultural problems are lodged at a much higher level than the team principal, and thus replacing the team principal never solves the actual problem.  

This hits the nail on the head. They have deep cultural issues that go way above the team principal. Unless a new TP could come in and make drastic changes to fix that, it won’t really matter who the new guy is, and that’s not happening because part of the cultural issue is they won’t hire someone who will come in and make sweeping changes. 

Having said all that, I do think Binotto isn’t a good team principal. He’s an excellent engineer and a great Chief Technical Officer, but nothing about his background or performance in this role says he knows to manage an entire team. I’m not sure Vasseur is all that great of a TP either. 

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

I mean, maybe.  Sort of.

But it's not unlike the head coaching position at Texas.  Mack needed to be fired when he was fired.  Charlie needed to be fired.  Tom Herman needed to be fired. And Sark probably will need to be fired in the near future.

Just because you keep firing people and thus ensuring instability and turmoil, doesn't mean the bad hires you made during the process, should be kept around.

Mack, yes. Strong, yes. Herman? I didn't like him on a personal level at all, but don't think he deserved the hook yet. Sark? I like him personally and don't think he deserves the hook yet.

Mattia? Yeah, he needs to go. The mistakes they are making are too many, too basic, and too often. 

Also, I feel like if Toto became the head coach of the University of Texas, we'd be in the playoffs within three years despite him likely not even knowing how to play the game. He's just one of those dudes that knows how to manage people. 

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

I mean, maybe.  Sort of.

That's kinda what I was getting at without really getting into it. It's not the TPs. It's the guys hiring the TPs. (Marco Mattiacci? Come on, man) And it's the intense pressure of being the "Italian National Team" and other factors that create this massive urgency and impatience to see out a steady improvement the way most of the other teams do. That leads to rapid TP turnover and turnover throughout the organization, lack of continuity, etc. They just don't have the patience to let a TP rebuild on a longer term plan, so they reset every few years and basically never get anywhere in the process.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

That's kinda what I was getting at without really getting into it. It's not the TPs. It's the guys hiring the TPs. (Marco Mattiacci? Come on, man) And it's the intense pressure of being the "Italian National Team" and other factors that create this massive urgency and impatience to see out a steady improvement the way most of the other teams do. That leads to rapid TP turnover and turnover throughout the organization, lack of continuity, etc. They just don't have the patience to let a TP rebuild on a longer term plan, so they reset every few years and basically never get anywhere in the process.

IT SOUNDS LIKE WE ARE IN COMPLETE AGREEMENT THEN, YA A-HOLE!!!

I'll add that if you can find a German or Austrian to  come in and fix things properly, per specification, and harness all of that wild Italian energy, then the results can be fantastic.  Niki Lauda did it, Michael Schumacher did it... I dream of Toto doing it.

That is, unless we hire him as the next head football coach in Austin, of course.

Edited by utee94
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'll add that if you can find a German or Austrian to  come in and fix things properly, per specification, and harness all of that wild Italian energy, then the results can be fantastic.  Niki Lauda did it, Michael Schumacher did it... I dream of Toto doing it.

That is, unless we hire him as the next head football coach in Austin, of course.

#TotoToTexas

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, utee94 said:

IT SOUNDS LIKE WE ARE IN COMPLETE AGREEMENT THEN, YA A-HOLE!!!

Yep. Or even a Brit, and :gasp: a Frog. I never thought Todt & especially Brawn got enough credit for their success during the Schumi years. And are they thinking Freddy is the next Todt?

7 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

If Ted Lasso can make it work, I say we give Toto a shot.

#Believe

Flavio fucking Briatore. Dude was a Benetton sales exec who was thrust into running an F1 team and was successful AF. Great managers can work wonders. Ferrari poached  Schumi and several key Benetton F1 tech people to start their run, a couple of years after Ferrari had tried to lure Flavio to Maranello.