Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

you are letting your max hatred color your opinion here. if he is over literally 2" his whole face is seen.
do you also think there is more to be seen about the fact that Albon, Yuki and Checo are looking away from the camera? or that Zhou is in the super shadow because he is secretly an f1 version of batman? do you think Lewis got hair implants because he is wearing a hat? what about the clear feud with Botas ans Stroll, he literally is as far away from him as he can be while still touching him. if Daniel had his face where it is supposed to be, he would cover everything below Charles nose. what about the fact that Ocon appears to be photoshopped in since the lighting is weird. do you think Botas, Yuki and Checo split the check three ways since they all 3 have what appear to be holding guest check presenters?
come on, man.

Dude it’s not that serious. Lol.

However, dumb ass optics…he’s the fucking champ!

He should be walking around w massive balls and stand right in the fucking middle for the pic, but he’s not feeling it, he doesn’t feel liked and the backlash he received for not helping has him sort of cornered right now (probably realizes how dumb he looked). Red Bull has moved on and so have the drivers (publicly, lol).

Let’s go fucking Abu Dhabi!

5 hours ago, texas08 said:

Dude it’s not that serious. Lol.

However, dumb ass optics…he’s the fucking champ!

He should be walking around w massive balls and stand right in the fucking middle for the pic, but he’s not feeling it, he doesn’t feel liked and the backlash he received for not helping has him sort of cornered right now (probably realizes how dumb he looked). Red Bull has moved on and so have the drivers (publicly, lol).

Let’s go fucking Abu Dhabi!

I don't think NoName was feeling particularly serious... :)

In unrelated news, I had a nightmare last night that there was an earthquake in Japan and the Suzuka track was completely destroyed.  It was one of those dreams that seemed so real, I thought it had actually happened when I woke up.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Now back to your regularly scheduled unnecessary pictorial analysis.

Did you forget what you posted 5 hours earlier?

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't see it that way.  There are only 3 people whose faces are partially obscured: Danny, Chuck, and Max.  Danny is smiling huge and cutting up, Chuck happens to be behind Danny who appears to be moving his head around while cutting up, and then there's the little weasel-faced Max, hiding in the back.

Or... being deliberately hidden, in the back.

I guess that's the silly part about all of last week's drama: unless Leclerc and Perez were fighting for P7 and P8 today (obviously highly unlikely), those two points were never going to make a shit. Whoever finished ahead of the other was going to finish in 2nd regardless.

I guess if they both DNF'ed.

Edited by aggie08

Maybe I'm just spoiled by last year but it felt like a lot of boring racing this season (this one too). Start of the season was good but then it got real boring... Red Bull way out front and Ferrari and Merc never being strong at the same time. 

The trajectories towards the end of the season give me hope for next year though.

I enjoyed the race. Watched it after early mass.

It wasn't great but, there were a few interesting battles. Too much chatter on the radios though with drivers complaining about strategy. Teams overthink things way too much, and that's a detriment. I wanted Vettel to get that final spot. He just never recovered from that 2018 shunt at Hockenheim. I really was disappointed in McLaren. I think we all expected so much more.

I don't mind Max. I don't mind RedBull winning again. I wanted more of a challenge from Ferrari but what we got was more Ferrari ineptitude. I also thought we'd see a bit more out of Alpine. Maybe next year.

I'm not sure what to think of Aston's future. I don't think they really know what they are doing. And they are just throwing away money with Lance.

Mercedes looks like they will be fun next year. I still won't root for Hamilton, or any English driver to be honest but, I like increased competition. The sport needs more of that.

I want Porsche involved. And I want them to be good. I'd like to see Audi do well, too.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I’m watching. Alanso is probably packing his shit and leaving. They failed him yet again.

So many missed opportunities.

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Maybe I'm just spoiled by last year but it felt like a lot of boring racing this season (this one too). Start of the season was good but then it got real boring... Red Bull way out front and Ferrari and Merc never being strong at the same time. 

The trajectories towards the end of the season give me hope for next year though.

The fact the cars could follow without overheating was a huge win all year. 

Meaningful development to change the order this season was non existent. The teams spent half the year on porpoising due to the fact a 60% scale wind tunnel/nor computer simulations could predict/simulate the real world issue. (MO is they should be allowed to test and drive their actual cars for development)

Interested to see if the cap structure helps this offseason by limiting development of the top teams. 

In the minority, but look forward to more sprint race weekends (agreed some changes should be made). Its simply more engaging than 3 free practices 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

I enjoyed the race. Watched it after early mass.
It wasn't great but, there were a few interesting battles. Too much chatter on the radios though with drivers complaining about strategy. Teams overthink things way too much, and that's a detriment. I wanted Vettel to get that final spot. He just never recovered from that 2018 shunt at Hockenheim. I really was disappointed in McLaren. I think we all expected so much more.
I don't mind Max. I don't mind RedBull winning again. I wanted more of a challenge from Ferrari but what we got was more Ferrari ineptitude. I also thought we'd see a bit more out of Alpine. Maybe next year.
I'm not sure what to think of Aston's future. I don't think they really know what they are doing. And they are just throwing away money with Lance.
Mercedes looks like they will be fun next year. I still won't root for Hamilton, or any English driver to be honest but, I like increased competition. The sport needs more of that.
I want Porsche involved. And I want them to be good. I'd like to see Audi do well, too.
So many missed opportunities.

Porsche and Audi are the same company right?
Just gonna say this... season is too long. Give me 20 races.

You’re gonna love next year!

5 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

1. it seemed like reliability was really up the 2nd half of the season, atleast for all the major drivers.  (alonso seemed to have absorbed all the bad luck joojoo)

2. new formula worked.  much fewer complaints about following in 'dirty air'

those aerodynamic wheels sure are ugly though

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Porsche and Audi are the same company right?

Yes, and, no. They are part of the Volkswagen group but, they are still separate and are in talks to enter as two separate companies.

Audi is coming in with Sauber and Porsche is reportedly close to a deal with Williams, or possibly coming in with Andretti.

I think Williams is tied to Mercedes until 2025.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The fact the cars could follow without overheating was a huge win all year. 

Meaningful development to change the order this season was non existent. The teams spent half the year on porpoising due to the fact a 60% scale wind tunnel/nor computer simulations could predict/simulate the real world issue. (MO is they should be allowed to test and drive their actual cars for development)

Interested to see if the cap structure helps this offseason by limiting development of the top teams. 

In the minority, but look forward to more sprint race weekends (agreed some changes should be made). Its simply more engaging than 3 free practices 

Totally agree.

7 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

The fact that the driver (Leclerc) and team (Ferrari) that earned the most poles got wiped the fuck out in both the driver's and constructor's championships is absolutely wild. That has to be a first. I'm way too lazy to research, but I imagine the driver who starts from P1 the most, wins like 80% of the championships and is extremely competitive the other 20%.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The fact that the driver (Leclerc) and team (Ferrari) that earned the most poles got wiped the fuck out in both the driver's and constructor's championships is absolutely wild. That has to be a first. I'm way too lazy to research, but I imagine the driver who starts from P1 the most, wins like 80% of the championships and is extremely competitive the other 20%.

Definitely not true for the refueling era but otherwise, probably. It’s also been harder to follow closely in almost every era before these new regs.  Even last year, pole position/track position meant way more than it does this year. 

e9da9bd49a265fc3587665b3dbecb51a.jpg

Definitely not binotto and the pit wall
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Unsurprisingly, I was wrong. You only have to go back to 2019 to find a similar example to this year. And, wouldn't you know it, it also involves Leclerc and Ferrari. Leclerc won the most poles, and Ferrari only trailed Mercedes by one in team poles. But Leclerc and Vettel finished 4/5 in the driver's championship and were obviously uncompetitive in both the driver's and constructor's championships.

So poles are important...unless you're in a Ferrari.

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Unsurprisingly, I was wrong. You only have to go back to 2019 to find a similar example to this year. And, wouldn't you know it, it also involves Leclerc and Ferrari. Leclerc won the most poles, and Ferrari only trailed Mercedes by one in team poles. But Leclerc and Vettel finished 4/5 in the driver's championship and were obviously uncompetitive in both the driver's and constructor's championships.

So poles are important...unless you're in a Ferrari.

That’s not really a good example, because their engine games were most helpful in qualifying. But it’s definitely a trend for Ferrari to design fast cars in quali that chew their tires so they have bad race pace. Combine that with Leclerc who’s the best qualifier in the whole grid and Ferrari strategy and reliability and you’re going to have a lot of poles not turn into wins. I think Ferrari strategy and reliability cost Leclerc 4-5 wins this year alone and I think it was 3-4 back in 2019 too. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can I do my F1 dumb question amnesty?

- How is timing determined on a lap? Are there lasers around the track or something? Or is there a transponder in the car? If so, where is it? I'd assume the T-bar, but does that mean the timing of a lap would be based on when the middle of the car passes a point and not the front?

- The entire "oh look how long the pole sitter will have to wait at the start before the pack takes their places" during the formation lap is complete garbage right? Seems like it's mentioned every single race and never makes a difference.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Can I do my F1 dumb question amnesty?

- How is timing determined on a lap? Are there lasers around the track or something? Or is there a transponder in the car? If so, where is it? I'd assume the T-bar, but does that mean the timing of a lap would be based on when the middle of the car passes a point and not the front?

- The entire "oh look how long the pole sitter will have to wait at the start before the pack takes their places" during the formation lap is complete garbage right? Seems like it's mentioned every single race and never makes a difference.

I think there is a transponder @Anton Chigurh (?) which pings multiple sections per sector and then finally at the start/finish line. No idea where it's at. 

As for sitting on pole and waiting for the grid to line up, I'm sure it's a commentary habit to recall the days of yore when the cars and components were less bullet proof. You can see brakes smoking and the like when they're sitting there, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

They have to have two timing transponders, installed in any of these positions.

e73d6c60c462d444e3e134c8c5b91484.png

Edit: elfenix beat me to it.

In any case, the distance traveled is all relative anyway. The only time it might matter is when cars are crossing the finish line, but you can visually see that. If it’s close enough to where you can’t, you could use transponder data.

• Hook 'Em 1