Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

On 11/20/2022 at 7:49 AM, Goofyboy said:

I’m watching. Alanso is probably packing his shit and leaving. They failed him yet again.

Yep. There absolutely could not have been a more fitting ending to Alonso's season with that clown show than to retire with a mechanical for the 6th time - the 4th with a water leak. Add to that the bad strategy calls from his side of the garage, the poor track positions for Qualifying runs that cost him positions, etc. I don't think Alonso's far off when he says he lost 60-70 points due to reliability issues and poor pit wall calls. 

On 11/20/2022 at 12:45 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

The fact the cars could follow without overheating was a huge win all year. 

Meaningful development to change the order this season was non existent. The teams spent half the year on porpoising due to the fact a 60% scale wind tunnel/nor computer simulations could predict/simulate the real world issue. (MO is they should be allowed to test and drive their actual cars for development)

Interested to see if the cap structure helps this offseason by limiting development of the top teams. 

In the minority, but look forward to more sprint race weekends (agreed some changes should be made). Its simply more engaging than 3 free practices 

Agree with much of this, but Newey saw the porpoising problems coming based on ground effect experience decades ago. He said he was surprised everyone else didn't see it coming and find solutions since it wasn't a secret.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I think there is a transponder @Anton Chigurh (?) which pings multiple sections per sector and then finally at the start/finish line. No idea where it's at. 

As for sitting on pole and waiting for the grid to line up, I'm sure it's a commentary habit to recall the days of yore when the cars and components were less bullet proof. You can see brakes smoking and the like when they're sitting there, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

Yeah the main concern is overheating components in the cars on the front row. It's probably not as much of an issue as it used to be in terms of reliability, but it can still cause performance issues on the start. Also, the opposite is true for the tires. They get a little colder as the front guys sit and wait for the back of the field. Add all this up, and you still see the front guys trying to back up the field coming to the grid, to keep everyone closer to them so they won't have to wait so long for the start. And yeah, it's transponders & sensors for every sector, DRS detection zone, etc.

Edited by wood

On 11/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, Goofyboy said:

Should we start placing bets on how long Perez lasts next season?

In favor of Ricciardo? I'll take that bet. No offense to his fans here, but Horner has no desire for him to sit in a race seat. He's a "good locker room guy" at this point in his career.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:54 PM, Goofyboy said:

Should we start placing bets on how long Perez lasts next season?

Checo seems like he's been nothing but the perfect teammate. And you have to think his performance is much more of a sure thing than DR.

14 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I didn't realize Hamilton was 38+ and that he's 2nd oldest on the grid by nearly 3 years. Damn he's been around a while.

Yeah, and his stint with McLaren could have been a career all on its own - 1 WDC (should have been two), 21 wins, 26 poles, all during a time that might have had the deepest grid in terms of driver quality and manufacturer parity, in Formula 1 history. Most drivers would take that coming into the sport, I think. Is there another driver that has had three world champions for teammates and beaten them all (Rosberg is a little iffy, but I'll give Lewis the benefit of the doubt)? 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

4gliwxucxb3a1.png

i didn't realize the AT gap was THAT small.

Stroll was probably using Vettel's data like Ocon was using Alonso's data at Alpine ... and both were still slower than their much older teammates.

Edited by wood

Retiree Ross Brawn throws this turd in the punch bowl on the way out the door... JFC. FML. As if DRS wasn't bad enough.

Active aero to slow the leaders:

Speaking in an exclusive interview with this week’s Autosport magazine, Brawn said that F1 chiefs had begun thinking up how best active aero could be used.

“One of the big things about the 2026 car is whether we have active aerodynamics,” said Brawn. “I think that’s an efficiency step which is very appealing.

“It’s still got to be sorted to see how that can be done, and if it can be done safely and predictably. But, active aerodynamics, we semi have them at the moment with DRS, as DRS is active aerodynamics.

“But can you do something much more significant?

“If you have active aerodynamics, then of course you could affect the car in front. You could have a proximity [that] once you get within a certain degree, the car in front loses a little bit of downforce and you gain a little bit of downforce. There’s tricks you can play with that. It becomes an opportunity.

“I’m not saying we would do that, but it becomes an opportunity. So, the 2026 car is lessons learned from what we have now and I think we’ll incorporate some form of active aerodynamics.”

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1s-active-aero-plans-for-2026-could-include-reverse-drs/10406755/?_ga=2.228334175.357166141.1669457220-929280275.1636135226

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Retiree Ross Brawn throws this turd in the punch bowl on the way out the door... JFC. FML. As if DRS wasn't bad enough.

Active aero to slow the leaders:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1s-active-aero-plans-for-2026-could-include-reverse-drs/10406755/?_ga=2.228334175.357166141.1669457220-929280275.1636135226

It's like real life Mario Kart!  Look out when Williams has a blue shell!

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Maybe they should make the drivers switch cars after qualifying.  Pole sitter gets the 20th place car for the race, 2nd the 19th and so on.

I think that'd be hilarious and quite showing actually.  As much as GR has turned out to be......well....a George Russell, I thought it was really telling when he subbed for LH last year and damn near took a podium in the merc.  

15 hours ago, deft said:

I think that'd be hilarious and quite showing actually.  As much as GR has turned out to be......well....a George Russell, I thought it was really telling when he subbed for LH last year and damn near took a podium in the merc.  

He had that race won if it hadn't been for two epic Mercedes fuck ups.  One being putting the other drivers tires on his car.

• Hook 'Em 1