Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

I don't think Tsunoda is bad. He's done ok vs Gasly. He's quick and doesn't spin as much as Mick ... but Mick seems to have improved some the last  few races. Not super quick. KMag hasn't exactly set the world on fire in his return, and I didn't really think much of him before, either.  I think the worst driver probably comes from the Zhou, Schumacher, KMag, Stroll group. I just don't know which one ... there's no clear leader in terms of incompetence there, imho. Time will surely provide one though. Funny, as usual, both of Haas's drivers are in the running for worst on the grid.

46 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Perez has been losing more and more time to Max but I don’t think that means he’s a bad driver. The cars and style matter more for some drivers than others it seems.   Makes comparison more difficult. 

And it's possible that Max is just getting better and better.  Scary thought, especially for the Max-haters.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Latifi needs to find a racing circuit that only holds events in the rain.

Is there a racing league that drives only in England, Ireland, or Scotland?  That might be a start...

• Hook 'Em 1

Perez has been losing more and more time to Max but I don’t think that means he’s a bad driver. The cars and style matter more for some drivers than others it seems.   Makes comparison more difficult. 

Perez has publicly said the car is set up way different than when he was killing it early on (why fuck around with setups is my question? Lol, got too close to Max pretty much). So yeah, it’s car setup.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Who is the worst driver in F1 outside of Latifi? Is it Stroll? Tsunoda? Mick?

I guess it has to be Tsunoda, right? Stroll seems pretty average and Mick seems like he's moved up to average.

Vettel sure seems like he's been bad, honestly. Hate to say it, but Ricciardo? 

Gotta be Yuki or Stroll.  I'm surprised Yuki got a 3rd year, honestly.

2 hours ago, texas08 said:

Perez has publicly said the car is set up way different than when he was killing it early on (why fuck around with setups is my question? Lol, got too close to Max pretty much). So yeah, it’s car setup.

Not necessarily just setup. There has been massive development for every team since Oz, and that's especially true for RBR. It could be as simple as Max just adapting quicker to the new cars than Perez can. Some guys are incredibly adaptable to different cars, like Alonso, Max, etc. But they're freaks. Most guys, even at that level, have a narrower window.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, wood said:

FIA eases F1 porpoising metric for Singapore & COTA https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-tweaks-f1-porpoising-metric-from-singapore-gp/10375872/ 

Heh ...

Hamilton 'feels for F1 fans' over early Verstappen title win https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-feels-for-f1-fans-over-early-verstappen-title-win/10376026/

so has *anyone* been reprimanded in the 8 races they have had since they instituted the porpoising metric?

19 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Mclaren is so hard to root for these days.

It’s almost like losing the oilers and gaining the Texans. (Just saw that thread bumped so that’s what made me think of the analogy)

I don't know why, but I'm finding the same thing. I can't really fault them for getting rid of DR, but it does make the team less likeable. And the more I see of Norris, the less I care for him. Having an ugly car don't help. 

As a Ferrari fan it's always been quite easy to root against McLaren. 😀

But with Fred, and then DannyRic racing for them, and then my employer becoming a very tight technology partner with them, I've had to temper my views recently.

Speaking of which, just found out we're FINALLY doing a big partner schmoozy thing with McLaren on Wednesday 10/19 over at the Moody Center.  Lando and Danny will be there, and some sort of technology display featuring our technology partnership. It's open to all employees here in the area, not sure how many folks will actually go.  Hopefully not too many so I can spend some serious time advising Zak on strategy and whatnot.  They better have some cool schwag!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't know why, but I'm finding the same thing. I can't really fault them for getting rid of DR, but it does make the team less likeable. And the more I see of Norris, the less I care for him. Having an ugly car don't help. 
I think DR may have been a calming influence on Lando. I don't like the Lando I've heard since they let Danny go. And yes, they had to let him go. Not disputing that.

watched the 2019 Singapore GP highlights just now and seeing a super aggressive Danny Ric, late breaking and passing Kvyat in weird places made me want to see him in an Alpine next year to see what he can do in a different car or if he is truly fully washed (finished way back in like 14th? after being as high as 4)

also forgot they had the RICH ENERGY Haas livery (the black/carbon fiber/gold looking one) in 2019, which made me laugh thinking about William Storey and what scam he is trying to pull these days.

also 16 of the 17 finishers (everyone but kmag) finished within 48 seconds of the winner. turns out having everyone that close = a much more interesting race

sounds like silly season on drivers may be coming to an end sooner than later

• Gasly to Alpine after Japanese GP
  • de Vries to AT
  • ??? to Williams (Mick? Sargeant? someone on loan?)
  • Hulk to Haas replacing Mick - the most Haas move ever, dump young guy to bring in a 35 year old. i'm SURE that will fix all the issues there. the only good news is it wasn't Gio.
  • Danny Ric to MB as reserve driver

3 hours ago, NoName said:
  • Gasly to Alpine after Japanese GP

I was expecting these moves, and I've seen the Planet F1 report, but I don't know if it's been officially confirmed. Haven't seen that bit about the move coming after Suzuka though. Where di you see that?

So as of now

Merc: Hamilton/Russell
RB: Perez/Max
Ferrari: LeClerc/Sainz
Alpine: Ocon/Gasly
McLaren: Norris/Piastri
Aston: Alonso/Stroll
AT: Tsunoda/DeVries
Haas: Magnussen/? (apparently Hulk is in the lead to replace Mick. Weird that KMag is likely to return. He's not exactly setting the world on fire. Haas gonna Haas)
Williams-Albon/?
Alfa-Zhou/Bottas

Pretty sure Sargeant will be at Williams if he gets his SL. If he doesn't then maybe there's an opening for Danny.

Edited by wood

10 minutes ago, faps said:

Would've loved to see one of the top Indy guys make an F1 appearance. I guess the SL bs squashed those hopes.

Speaking of Americans in F1 ...

Mario Andretti exclusive: On the continued push for F1 2024 and ‘disrespect’ from the paddock: https://www.planetf1.com/features/mario-andretti-exclusive-2024-go-ahead/

Interesting. I've had a hunch for a while that Andretti still has something up their sleeve. I could see Alpine selling out to them, too.

Following Toto Wolff’s questioning of what an Andretti entry would bring to F1, it prompted Mario to respond by pointing out Andretti’s successes.

“Toto Wolff has spoken very openly about our credibility,” he told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. “I find the criticism very disrespectful because we have been active in motorsport much longer than he has. I respect his success so far, but he has no reason to look down on us.”

Whole article:

Spoiler

Mario Andretti has told PlanetF1 the Andretti Global F1 effort is still “full speed ahead”, despite the knockbacks from Formula 1’s leading figures.

Andretti’s efforts to become the 11th Formula 1 team continue unabated, despite the apparent lack of traction amongst the other teams and F1 itself.

Back in February, 1978 F1 World Champion Mario Andretti took to Twitter to reveal his son Michael had filed the necessary paperwork with the FIA in order to enter F1 for 2024.

As outlined previously, the broad response from the other teams has been frosty – only fellow IndyCar entrants McLaren have come forward to show support for an Andretti entry.

Andretti’s attempts to enter F1 first became public towards the end of 2021, when the American squad looked set to take over a significant stake in the Sauber team. However, the agreement fell apart almost at the finish line – prompting Andretti to seek a way into F1 as a new entry.

Throughout 2022, Andretti have announced the commencement of building a base of operations for ‘Andretti Global’, which will serve as a focal point for all of Andretti’s racing initiatives. The new factory is set to cost the company $200m [£170m], with a 575,000 square-foot facility set to be constructed in Fishers, Indiana, with a target to be operational by 2025, and bring their teams – including ‘future racing initiatives’ – under one roof in the process.

However, despite the prestige of Andretti Autosport in IndyCar, Indy Lights, Extreme E, Formula E, and Australian Supercars, Andretti’s F1 efforts have met a brick wall – with Mercedes’ boss Toto Wolff and F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali amongst the voices doubting the viability of the project.

Andretti “aren’t giving up” on F1 aspirations
“We’re working every single day on this project, with the intention to be on the grid in 2024,” Mario Andretti told PlanetF1 in an exclusive interview.

We’re preparing as if we were given the go-ahead. So Michael is on it, and that’s what we expect to do. We’re certainly not giving up. It’s a very serious project for us, and we’re ready to make that investment.

“Honestly, [the reception] has been extremely disappointing, obviously, so far. But, at the same time, we’re just trying to come up with whatever is asked of us, we’re trying to satisfy it – I don’t know what else we can do.”

Following Toto Wolff’s questioning of what an Andretti entry would bring to F1, it prompted Mario to respond by pointing out Andretti’s successes.

“Toto Wolff has spoken very openly about our credibility,” he told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. “I find the criticism very disrespectful because we have been active in motorsport much longer than he has. I respect his success so far, but he has no reason to look down on us.”

Asked by PlanetF1 about why Andretti are getting the reception they have since announcing their intentions to put a team together, the 1978 F1 World Champion sighed.

“You hear different opinions sometimes, from different teams and so forth, and you wonder why there’s some disrespect out there that I don’t know that’s what we deserve,” he said.

“Our intentions are good for the sport. I don’t know why that investment wouldn’t be good, especially when you’re looking at a season going to 24 races next year, where it’s going to be such incredible stress on all the teams. To be able to ensure that you can guarantee a full grid, if you have a team or so potentially dropping out for a race or whatever, at least you have some insurance with 11 teams – that’s 22 prospective drivers out there.”

“Motor racing has been everything to us”
The last new team to Formula 1 was when the American Haas team arrived, with Gene Haas coming into the sport as a completely new entry after setting up a team from scratch.

Since then, the rules for entry have changed – meaning prospective entrants need to stump up $200 million just for an entry fee. That’s before any money is pumped into the team, the car, personnel, or facilities.

This $200 million dollar fee is then split up and divvied up between the existing teams – the reason being that it offsets the overall prize money being diluted by the arrival of an 11th team.

Despite the enticement of this payment, the long-term dilution of the prize money is likely the reason for the teams not opening their arms to any new entries – it’s just that the Andretti squad are the first to face these new additional hurdles.

Andretti maintains that every logistical and financial hurdle is one that’s easily handled by Andretti Global, and said the team would be a worthy addition to the sport.

“I think we can add to it. We’re just working toward that we have, and we have every intention to be part of it,” he said.

“[The pushback] is disappointing in that sense, because we’re trying to join Formula 1 for the long term. That’s something that we can guarantee. You make this type of an investment – you’re not going to go in and out. I think that there’s something to be said for that.

“So it’s a big investment in any company and you’d think you will be welcomed… But we’re still fighting, we’re trying to see if we can satisfy everything that they’re asking. Just put it out there and we will do it. So that’s all we can do.”

Asked about why Andretti are meeting with such unenthusiastic responses across the grid, Andretti didn’t have an answer.

“I don’t know, I wish I knew,” he said.

“I don’t know what the reason is for some of those individuals but, honestly, it’s never easy. We have the will to keep fighting for it because we believe it’s a good thing for us. We want to contribute, the sport has been everything to us for our professional lives and I think we want to be able to contribute and continue to do that.”

For now, Andretti haven’t yet given up on being on the grid for 2024. With work continuing to build up the team, as well as confirmation of a link-up with Renault should they succeed in getting a place, Andretti said there’s not yet a cut-off point beyond which they will pull out of their efforts.

“We’ve not drawn that – there’s no line in the sand yet,” he said.

“We believe in what we’re trying to do, and that’s important.

“We’re working, working, working, on every possible angle – there are a lot of possibilities that are out there to continue. It’s full speed ahead.”

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, faps said:

Would've loved to see one of the top Indy guys make an F1 appearance. I guess the SL bs squashed those hopes.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

FIA chose to protect their feeder series, and we all lose.

F1 never misses an opportunity to step on its own dick.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1