Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Man, it's been a full season without hearing Hamilton whine. Not long enough.

For such an amazing driver, I just will never get it. It would be like Vince Young complaining to the officials and coaches about something between every play.

God, what happened to Ricciardo? Did he finish second to last?

Man, it's been a full season without hearing Hamilton whine. Not long enough.
For such an amazing driver, I just will never get it. It would be like Vince Young complaining to the officials and coaches about something between every play.
God, what happened to Ricciardo? Did he finish second to last?

They all whine and complain. We only get to hear what they want us to hear.

9 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They all whine and complain. We only get to hear what they want us to hear. emoji849.png

LH, however, is a masterclass. The constant tattling while getting a black and white flag is just...

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Red bull fuckup gave us a bit of an interesting race there. No idea how Alonso didn't break his car, and then to somehow score points

No kidding. If his car can take that, he should have been just ramming people out of the way all year. 

What did y'all take on the cause of the accident? I go 80/20 Stroll. Alonso was right up on him before he turned out, but Stroll definitely pushed it to the side to block.

LH, however, is a masterclass. The constant tattling while getting a black and white flag is just...

200.gif

To be fair - he was just helping them figure out if Max was out or not since they completely fucked up during and after qualifying. Max and Zhou. One gets a lap deleted, the other starts second.

d35f59ecdd4636e78cc6dc9bd92b3e91.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

No kidding. If his car can take that, he should have been just ramming people out of the way all year. 

What did y'all take on the cause of the accident? I go 80/20 Stroll. Alonso was right up on him before he turned out, but Stroll definitely pushed it to the side to block.

100% Stroll. 

• Hook 'Em 2

To be fair - he was just helping them figure out if Max was out or not since they completely fucked up during and after qualifying. Max and Zhou. One gets a lap deleted, the other starts second.

d35f59ecdd4636e78cc6dc9bd92b3e91.jpg

I think they were all guilty to some degree but what I’m seeing now is that the social media outrage over Zhou’s deleted lap used a pic of him from a previous lap that was less “egregious”

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

About that....

i just don't see how that is a post race penalty.

wreck happens on LAP 21. literally over 60% of the race left and FIA didn't see anything there worth flagging. then after the race they decide it is a penalty?

they have what seems like super fast black/orange flags for kmag THREE times. but here they don't see enough to cause an issue.

why is it so incredibly hard to just apply the rules evenly across everyone. there are only 10 teams/20 drivers. for a group that prints money, they are just the worst run sporting org of their size in the world.

=

pulling this from twitter/reddit

Indeed the stewards criticise race director Niels Wittich: "The stewards are deeply concerned that car 14 was not given the black and orange flag, or at least a radio call to rectify the situation, despite the two calls to Race Control by the Haas team."

i think penalizing a driver after the race, when the stewards had 60% of the race to do literally anything and didn't, is the wrong way to handle it.

unless rules changed, folks are pointing out in 2019 LEC and HAM both lost mirrors at Suzuka with no penalties or mentioning of it being unsafe?

damage is damage. if you are going to black/orange Kmag, why aren't you giving the same to Checo yesterday for endplate damage? or for Alonso when you had a ton of the race.

the stop/go penalty doesn't make sense to me either. does a stop/go suddenly make it "safe" for him to drive without a mirror? either give him a 10 second penalty or give him a 30 second penalty. don't give him a 10 second stop/go which becomes a 30 second post race (correct me if i am wrong here?)

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 5

Would have loved to see how the race would have shaped up without Russell screwing over Sainz. especially with how well LeClerc did running up through the field, Ferrari could have exerted a little more strategy.  I don't think anyone was going to beat Max yesterday but it could have been even more interesting with both Ferraris battling it out up at the front of the field. 

But even without that there was some fun racing between the top three, and down through the pack.  

Really disappointed in Ricciardo's weekend, and that post-race penalty against Fred is just complete bulljive.  I can't recall ever seeing something like that. If it's unsafe, flag him during the race and call him in to make repairs.  But if that doesn't happen, then you've tacitly made the decision that it's not a racing hazard.  Of course since this is all post-race, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the race itself.  I was hoping he could hold off Lando but it wasn't meant to be.

All that aside, the weather was pretty great and the crowd management inside the venue was significantly better than last year.  I'm already looking forward to next year.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

interesting article about Norris and painkillers due to bumpiness of track + headaches? (evidently Norris called them "headache tablets", this site just made it sound worse for clicks)

also has a quote from him on the resurfacing.

Why Norris drove the US GP 'heavily dosed up' on painkillers

Today, 07:25

Lando Norris kept his rivals at bay to finish the United States Grand Prix in P6, but the McLaren driver admits that he had been struggling with a painful issue throughout the weekend.

Lando Norris has revealed that he was "heavily dosed up" on painkillers during the United States Grand Prix after struggling with headaches throughout the weekend, an issue he has attributed to the bumpiness of the track.

The Briton finished the race in P6 – the same position from which he started – after keeping rivals including Fernando Alonso at bay.

When speaking to the media after the race, Norris was asked by RacingNews365.com how it feels to push another driver into a mistake, leading him to admit that he was too busy trying to focus through the pain he was experiencing during the race.

"There was so much focus [in] the last 10 laps, especially on the track like this," Norris explained.

"There's so many bumps. I was heavily dosed up on headache tablets because I struggled a lot with that this weekend, because it's bumpy."

Norris wary of making mistakes at COTA

Norris admits that his headaches left him more cautious of the possiblity of making a mistake.

"It's really not nice," he said of the impact.

"I don't know if it's better for us or worse for us than other cars, but it's something I struggle a lot with.

"When I take the tablets it probably doesn't make a big difference in the end, but it's something I struggle with so [it's then] easy to make mistakes, so easy to lock up, so easy to spin.

"Valtteri [Bottas had a] spin just in front of me for no reason, or [no reason] that I know of anyway."

Has resurfacing helped with the bumps?

When asked if resurfacing had helped with the bumpiness of the Circuit of the Americas, Norris suggested that improvements could still be made.

"Some bits were less [bumpy], so I'm very happy that they did [resurface]," the McLaren driver added.

"But they resurfaced half of it – that half is a little bit better. [It's] not as good as it needs to be, epecially in these cars.

"I think in last year's cars we wouldn't be complaining, but in this year's cars we complain about everything."

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:30 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 10/22/2022 at 5:03 PM, wood said:
So it looks like it's confirmed that Mateschitz says passed. I forgot he had been pretty sick for a while. My buddy got that directly from Adam Cooper, who is staying on his mom's property near the track, but I think there are some stories out about it now..

Wonder what happens to RBR going forward? Depends on the estate plan, i suppose. Much as i don't like them, seeing them sold off would feel wrong. Is this how Andretti gets into F1?

Who knows? There are already rumors that Andretti is working with Ford for a 2026 entry, with a Honda pairing for 2024 & 2025. Mario says they're 'full steam ahead', designing a car and everything else that goes with that, for 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

That’ll be a penalty for George.

20 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Yep, 5 seconds. Pretty minor at this stage of the race.

Yeah, crash the polesitter out of the race on L1T1 ... 5 second penalty. Drop too far behind for a few seconds under SC ... 5 seconds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Alonso crash could have been so much worse.

Yep. Alonso is very lucky he didn't go airborne or flip. And the penalty on Alonso for the mirror? What in the actual fuck? And fuck Haas for protesting that shit. Oh, and it was 24 minutes past the deadline, they never gave Alonso the black & flag for the mirror. The crazy thing is that if the mirror had just come off at impact, there would have been no penalty.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yep. Alonso is very lucky he didn't go airborne or flip. And the penalty on Alonso for the mirror? What in the actual fuck? And fuck Haas for protesting that shit. Oh, and it was 24 minutes past the deadline, they never gave Alonso the black & flag for the mirror. The crazy thing is that if the mirror had just come off at impact, there would have been no penalty.

see all i saw was that it was past the deadline, so i assumed it was like <5 min.

that's incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Oh, and fuck stupid Stroll in the face, and fuck Guenther's overrated ass too.

I agree with all of these, but mostly and especially, fuck Russell.  

I used to sort of like him and Lando.  I really don't, anymore.  The new generation of drivers are kind of a bunch of assfaces.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I used to sort of like him and Lando.  I really don't, anymore.  The new generation of drivers are kind of a bunch of assfaces.

Lando is going to be a super polarizing dude over the next few years. Youngs will love him. Old(ers) will hate him.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I still like Lando, but yeah I've definitely soured on George. His bearing kinda gives me images of what it would be like if Louis Winthorpe III were an F1 driver...

dITSdogv_400x400.jpg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So I've been on the anti-Lando train from the start. I've liked Russell, but I'm starting to sour on him. Glad to see I'm not the only one. 

Leclerc I like, but I just don't get that "world champion" vibe from him. I just don't see him being strong enough mentally. 

25 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Oh, and fuck stupid Stroll in the face, and fuck Guenther's overrated ass too.

This. People like him because he is a big face on DTS and says funny stuff in his accent. I've seen nothing from him that makes me think he's worth as much notoriety as he gets. 

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So I've been on the anti-Lando train from the start. I've liked Russell, but I'm starting to sour on him. Glad to see I'm not the only one. 

Leclerc I like, but I just don't get that "world champion" vibe from him. I just don't see him being strong enough mentally. 

Yeah, Chuck seems to be a good but not great driver. And that's not enough to overcome Ferrari's incompetent leadership.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Yeah, Chuck seems to be a good but not great driver. And that's not enough to overcome Ferrari's incompetent leadership.

And I say that 100% knowing I'd pee my pants going over 120 mph in an F1 car.  If I was driving and then see Verstappen in my rearview, I'd likely slow down and just wave him past.