Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So I've been on the anti-Lando train from the start. I've liked Russell, but I'm starting to sour on him. Glad to see I'm not the only one. 

Leclerc I like, but I just don't get that "world champion" vibe from him. I just don't see him being strong enough mentally. 

I’ve always disliked George and it’s nice to see I was right about him. He puts up decently fast laps in clean air, but he has terrible race craft. He clumsily hits people way too often and then comes off as an entitled brat when he’s interviewed afterward. Fuck him. Same for Stroll. 

Im not sure that’s fair to Leclerc at this stage of his career. I’d spike to see him on a competent team before saying he can’t win. He’s made some mistakes, but he also has to deal with an utterly incompetent team that forces him to have to push too hard or dictate his own strategy mid-race. Max and Lewis don’t have to deal with that.  Seb went through a similar thing with Ferrari in 2017 and 2018. But I agree he’ll never win a title at Ferrari unless they luck into an utterly dominant car one year. 

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve always disliked George and it’s nice to see I was right about him. He puts up decently fast laps in clean air, but he has terrible race craft. He clumsily hits people way too often and then comes off as an entitled brat when he’s interviewed afterward. Fuck him. Same for Stroll. 

Im not sure that’s fair to Leclerc at this stage of his career. I’d spike to see him on a competent team before saying he can’t win. He’s made some mistakes, but he also has to deal with an utterly incompetent team that forces him to have to push too hard or dictate his own strategy mid-race. Max and Lewis don’t have to deal with that.  Seb went through a similar thing with Ferrari in 2017 and 2018. But I agree he’ll never win a title at Ferrari unless they luck into an utterly dominant car one year. 

"We are going Plan E, Plan E. Unless you don't think that's the best, in which case we can always change. Just let us know what you're thinking. Plan C? Plan R? Get back to us with your thoughts."

4 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, crash the polesitter out of the race on L1T1 ... 5 second penalty. Drop too far behind for a few seconds under SC ... 5 seconds.

Oh, and your mirror falls off after being hit, and nobody balck flags you - but then you get a 30 second penalty after the race. Yep. This penalty 'structure' makes tons of sense.

4 hours ago, wood said:

I still like Lando, but yeah I've definitely soured on George. His bearing kinda gives me images of what it would be like if Louis Winthorpe III were an F1 driver...

dITSdogv_400x400.jpg

George is an unlikable robot.  Not a fan.  Gotta love that he gets 5 seconds for t-boning Sainz in turn 1 but Fred gets 30 seconds for a loose mirror?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

George is an unlikable robot.  Not a fan.  Gotta love that he gets 5 seconds for t-boning Sainz in turn 1 but Fred gets 30 seconds for a loose mirror?

Lulz. SMH.

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

George drives just like Max (late brake into a corner) and you guys bitch. Max does it and it’s his corner. Pick one.

Also, I’m neutral on George. I don’t think he’s any better than Bottas.

George is a dickface just like Max was when he was doing the same shit.  I pick neither.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

George drives just like Max (late brake into a corner) and you guys bitch. Max does it and it’s his corner. Pick one.

Also, I’m neutral on George. I don’t think he’s any better than Bottas.

George locked up and went straight into the side of Carlos on a very optimistic move. Max has probably done something similar, but if he did, I wouldn't defend that either. The main point most people seem to be making is that 5 seconds is a tiny little slap on the wrist for that bs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

curious but how many times has Max t-boned folks like this:

George-Russell-hits-Carlos-Sainz-at-the-

this is the closest to "right before they crash" i could find, lots of other pics like this one make it look much worse.

here is a frame by frame pic from racefans: https://www.racefans.net/2022/10/23/was-russells-five-second-penalty-for-sainz-collision-the-right-call/

relevant onboards in order:

russell-2-470x271.jpg

russell-3-470x271.jpg

russell-4-470x271.jpg

russell-5-470x271.jpg

russell-6-470x271.jpg

it's a chickenshit move no matter who the driver is. he could have done it to lewis easily if carlos wasn't there.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, wood said:

George locked up and went straight into the side of Carlos on a very optimistic move. Max has probably done something similar, but if he did, I wouldn't defend that either. The main point most people seem to be making is that 5 seconds is a tiny little slap on the wrist for that bs.

No doubt. And "optimistic" is putting it kindly.  There was zero chance he could successfully complete that move in the manner he did it.  

Well, actually, I guess he did, since he knocked out the polesitter and created a zero-points DNF for his team's current major rival in constructor points, with zero impact to himself other than 5 measly seconds.

I think an appropriate penalty in a situation like that, is you suffer exactly the same punishment as your victim.  So if you knock your victim out of the race, then you're black-flagged for the remainder of the laps and your race is over too.

Have I said this strongly enough yet?  Fuck George Russell.

• Hook 'Em 3

I wonder if the RBR death will do anything to change their stance towards Porsche. I was disappointed when they couldn't come to some good terms.

I watched the race last night on the DVR. Was at Duke for Pitt v Duke soccer this weekend and on purpose did not look at any information.

I've said earlier this season about how the announcers just cover for Hamilton and cheer too much for him. I get that he is a Brit but, maybe do it in the pre-race but, not the race. Hamilton just whines too much.

Stroll is a danger. I was so happy to see Vettel overcome his horrible pit stop and his final lap was awesome, from what we were shown. I think the Alonso penalty was dumb. Danny Ric has just not been good. I would have loved to see what would have happened in Sainz had not be hit. I think teh race would have been a lot more interesting, even though it was fun.

I do hope that Andretti puts together a well-financed team. I say, the more the merrier.

https://onestopracing.com/top-15-f1-win-percentages/

There is some neat stuff on that link. Especially when you look at the percentages, as my German cousins say that Schumacher's last three seasons with Mercedes was basically building it into what Hamilton was the beneficiary (yes, they are biased). But, if he had stayed retired his winning percentage would be higher than Hamilton's.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

No doubt. And "optimistic" is putting it kindly.  There was zero chance he could successfully complete that move in the manner he did it.  

Well, actually, I guess he did, since he knocked out the polesitter and created a zero-points DNF for his team's current major rival in constructor points, with zero impact to himself other than 5 measly seconds.

I think an appropriate penalty in a situation like that, is you suffer exactly the same punishment as your victim.  So if you knock your victim out of the race, then you're black-flagged for the remainder of the laps and your race is over too.

Have I said this strongly enough yet?  Fuck George Russell.

That's exactly what I told my kid, yesterday (and have many times before). If you're obviously at fault for a collision that puts another car out of the race, then you go park your car. At the very minimum, they should get a drive through + X number of seconds imho. I'd bet the farm that you'd instantly see quite a bit more respect for other drivers if that were the case.

Also, in the end, Stroll effectively took Alonso right out the race as soon as he hit him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I wonder if the RBR death will do anything to change their stance towards Porsche. I was disappointed when they couldn't come to some good terms.

I watched the race last night on the DVR. Was at Duke for Pitt v Duke soccer this weekend and on purpose did not look at any information.

I've said earlier this season about how the announcers just cover for Hamilton and cheer too much for him. I get that he is a Brit but, maybe do it in the pre-race but, not the race. Hamilton just whines too much.

Stroll is a danger. I was so happy to see Vettel overcome his horrible pit stop and his final lap was awesome, from what we were shown. I think the Alonso penalty was dumb. Danny Ric has just not been good. I would have loved to see what would have happened in Sainz had not be hit. I think teh race would have been a lot more interesting, even though it was fun.

I do hope that Andretti puts together a well-financed team. I say, the more the merrier.

https://onestopracing.com/top-15-f1-win-percentages/

There is some neat stuff on that link. Especially when you look at the percentages, as my German cousins say that Schumacher's last three seasons with Mercedes was basically building it into what Hamilton was the beneficiary (yes, they are biased). But, if he had stayed retired his winning percentage would be higher than Hamilton's.

Re: Porsche and RBR, personally, I doubt it will change much. Apparently Porsche wanted a lot more control than RBR were willing to relinquish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Re: Porsche and RBR, personally, I doubt it will change much. Apparently Porsche wanted a lot more control than RBR were willing to relinquish. 

Yeah it honestly sounds like Porsche is effectively only interested in a Works team.  RBR was never going to be that for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

So to me, it seems like everyone gets along pretty well, sans Max and Lewis (understandable). The vibe in the cooldown room between Charles and Lewis stood out to me. Is there tension there I don't know about?

14 minutes ago, wood said:

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah it honestly sounds like Porsche is effectively only interested in a Works team.  RBR was never going to be that for them.

I was just hoping for Porsche to get in the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

So to me, it seems like everyone gets along pretty well, sans Max and Lewis (understandable). The vibe in the cooldown room between Charles and Lewis stood out to me. Is there tension there I don't know about?

They both just lost. Red Bull has both titles locked up. They also just got their asses kicked by COTA. Not a whole lot to be chatty about.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

i don't think the younger guys have much of a real relationship with the older guys.

this is way different than you have seen in the past with LEC and VER together.

also maybe it's a heat/exhaustion thing too. saw ALO and others in pics after relaxing and looking whipped.

17 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They both just lost. Red Bull has both titles locked up. They also just got their asses kicked by COTA. Not a whole lot to be chatty about.

Yeah I saw on the reddit that Lando talked quite a bit about the pounding the bumps were giving him. he said he was 'heavily dosed up' with pain meds for the headaches all weekend, but it didn't really help. He echoed what the MotoGP riders said and what I said after my ride there earlier this year.

The McLaren driver finished sixth in yesterday’s race but admitted he was “heavily dosed up on headache tablets” due to the bumpy nature of the circuit.
“I struggled a lot with that this weekend,” he told media including RaceFans after the race. “Have you seen how hard my heads hits? I’ve got internal bruising on my head or something, so it’s really not nice.”

Norris said he isn’t sure whether McLaren’s car gives a rougher ride than others. “I don’t know if it’s better for us or worse than other cars. But it’s something I struggle a lot with.

“When I take the tablets it probably doesn’t make a big difference in the end but it’s something I struggle with.”

The bumpiness of the Circuit of the Americas has been a problem for years. The track owners made the latest in a series of improvements to the track surface ahead of F1’s return last week.

However the stiffer nature of the cars built to new 2022 regulations exacerbated the problem, said Norris. “Some bits were less [bumpy], so I’m very happy they did that.

“But they resurfaced half of it. That half is a little bit better. Not as good as it needs to be.

More works needs to be done to improve the surface again for next year, said Norris. “Half it was was re-done, I’m happy with that, but the bits which were not re-done, I think if you just go and walk on the track, you can see we’re tearing apart the circuit. There’s massive gaps, there’s massive holes, it’s just not the standard it needs to be for Formula 1.”

7 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Carlos being aggressive and not just staying behind Max also exacerbated the chances of him being hit IMO. Trying to get to the left and getting around max there just past the apex seems unnecessary going into the second turn.

Like to see Brundle calling out Buxton.

Yeah Buxton's a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

As I mistakenly posted in the COTA thread because I'm also an idiot ...

OBTW ... I admit I wasn't much of a fan of Danica the racer, but I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of Danica v2.0, the commentator. She's doing a great job, and isn't hard to look at, either.

Me likey New Danica.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wood said:

As I mistakenly posted in the COTA thread because I'm also an idiot ...

OBTW ... I admit I wasn't much of a fan of Danica the racer, but I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of Danica v2.0, the commentator. She's doing a great job, and isn't hard to look at, either.

Me likey New Danica.

I didn't mind her as a driver but agree that she's doing a good job as a commentator.  I think she's still a little stiff, with some questions that seem to be straight out of "interviewer-school," but it's only a minor complaint and she'll get better and more natural as she gets more experience.  She's a welcome addition to the show and I'd be happy to see her travel to more of the other F1 locations with the Sky team.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

As recently as a year ago she was super awkward and hard to listen to while she was commentating on a NASCAR race. I really don't have time to do pre-race shows anymore so I guess it doesn't matter either way. 

Yeah I don't watch NASCAR with any regularity, unless they're at COTA, so I can't comment on that.  The F1 stuff she's done over the past couple years has been pretty good, and definitely improving.

I think part of the appeal for me, is that the Sky team are so very Brit/UK-focused, that a decent amount of their commentary and jokes come off as a bit insider-y, and it's a little off-putting to me as an American.  That's not a major complaint, just a minor quibble because in general I really do enjoy their commentary, and it's light-years better than what we had previously with NBC and other various broadcasters.  But anyway, when Danica speaks, she's not coming from the same background and mindset, and it breaks up their UK-centric takes, in a welcome and interesting way.  JMO of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

makes a ton of sense for Dorilton to bring in someone else and porsche makes sense as a co-owner. just hope they don't get rid of the Williams name

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

Any idea if this would make Williams more competitive? I'm a relatively new fan so Williams has been bottom of the barrel the years I've been watching. But I find myself rooting for them. Kinda like the Chicago Cubs. Would like to see them have success.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Any idea if this would make Williams more competitive? I'm a relatively new fan so Williams has been bottom of the barrel the years I've been watching. But I find myself rooting for them. Kinda like the Chicago Cubs. Would like to see them have success.

i assume they get a nice injection of cash and that will allow them to actually implement the screen into the steering wheel like every other team.

add in American driver (and potential American sponsors?) and there is at least a potential promising future

28 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man as recently as 2014/2015 they were the 2nd or 3rd best car on the track.  With Massa and Bottas driving, and an infusion of Martini cash, their development program was pretty strong and Mercedes power was dominant.  But they just couldn't keep pace with the top teams and now, here we are.  I'd definitely love to see them become more competitive.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

My first reaction is, "shit!", because I was never really a Williams fan but, I did like their early years with the Ford Cosworth.

I think it was cool that both Rosbergs raced for Williams. Nigel Mansell was a force of nature, fun to watch. I always rooted against Damon Hill, because of the rivalry with Schumacher. I enjoyed Juan Montoya, and he was a great interview when he was racing for Chip. They've also had some of the best names, from a fun-to-say nature, in racing.

They've had incredible highs and some awful lows. 

I hope Porsche can bring them back to relevance because I love Porsche.

It's crazy to think that since they scored 257 points in 2015 with Massa and Bottas that the team has scored a total of 260 combined in the following seven seasons.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I don't watch NASCAR with any regularity, unless they're at COTA, so I can't comment on that.  The F1 stuff she's done over the past couple years has been pretty good, and definitely improving.

I think part of the appeal for me, is that the Sky team are so very Brit/UK-focused, that a decent amount of their commentary and jokes come off as a bit insider-y, and it's a little off-putting to me as an American.  That's not a major complaint, just a minor quibble because in general I really do enjoy their commentary, and it's light-years better than what we had previously with NBC and other various broadcasters.  But anyway, when Danica speaks, she's not coming from the same background and mindset, and it breaks up their UK-centric takes, in a welcome and interesting way.  JMO of course.

Yep. Despite all of its faults, there's no comparison between the Sky F1 broadcasts  and what we were getting before. Sometimes I see people commenting that they wish Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett were back, on NBC. Or they complain about Crofty being too loud and act as if Diffey's over the top yelling and sunshine pumping never happened. Diffey seems like a great guy though, & from what I've heard, he is. Varsha was good, but pompous and a bit above it all. That comes through in conversation with him, too. Matchett's a nice guy when you meet him in person, and very insightful, but he was clearly tired of the grind ... or something. The only one of them that I miss much, and the one that I wish I could have met is Hobbs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

As recently as a year ago she was super awkward and hard to listen to while she was commentating on a NASCAR race. I really don't have time to do pre-race shows anymore so I guess it doesn't matter either way. 

I think she was just trying too hard. I think now she is comfortable in her skin around those guys and even if you were not a fan of hers she did put a lot of time in a driver's seat on her resume.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Probably, but who knows. They've had the best PU for years already. Porsche will no doubt come with lots of cash, resources, and engineering prowess though. It'll be fun to watch and find out.

Edited by wood

Just now, wood said:

Yep. Despite all of its faults, there's no comparison between the Sky F1 broadcasts  and what we were getting before. Sometimes I see people commenting that they wish Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett were back, on NBC. Or they complain about Crofty being too loud and act as if Diffey's over the top yelling and sunshine pumping never happened. Diffey seems like a great guy though, & from what I've heard, he is. Varsha was good, but pompous and a bit above it all. That comes through in conversation with him, too. Matchett's a nice guy when you meet him in person, and very insightful, but he was clearly tired of the grind ... or something. The only one of them that I miss much, and the one that I wish I could have met is Hobbs. 

Church Saturday GIF

• Hook 'Em 1