Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Right, but that's the point.  It was brought up during the race, and yet no flag occurred.  Which means that it was deemed safe enough to continue.

I agree there should be more consistency, but if you're not flagged off the race course during the race, then for me, that's the end of it.  The decision has been made.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Yep, and had they called Alonso in, there's at least a chance that he would still have finished in the points after taping up the mirror or whatever and then finishing the race. The stewards never called them in, though, so they never had that opportunity. They stayed out, just like every other team would have done.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, but when you look at it through Guenter's eyes, I can see why he's so upset.  3 black & orange flags for KMag this year, yet Alonso and Checo are allowed to drive around with pieces coming off and there is no action.

Then add in FIA's nonsensical punishment and reinstatement and it's a full on goat rodeo.

Agree 100%, the decisions to date  have been especially unfair to Haas.

• Like 1

more mario isola for the last 25 minutes or so, more explanation of how tires work

really feel like the solution to a lot of these issues with tires (if the tires work too well everyone does a 1 stop, if they don't work very well everyone just manages tires) is bring back fuel stops. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, they probably are struggling with the thin air, but everyone else probably is too.

But the only time they were .4 down in S1 was their last run of Q3, so it’s not just a general issue. Something weird happened on the last run of Q3 for both Ferrari drivers, whether it was DRS or engines. 

I understand why they tried the hard tires.  Max was faster and if they followed the same tire strategy as he did, Hamilton was going to end up 2nd.  When they pitted it wasn't clear yet that soft and mediums were going to last much longer than expected. 

Edited by kevwun

25 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I understand why they tried the hard tires.  Max was faster and if they followed the same tire strategy as he did, Hamilton was going to end up 2nd.  When they pitted it wasn't clear yet that soft and mediums were going to last much longer than expected. 

they weren't following the same strategy - merc started on mediums and rb started on softs. 

It still might have worked if Verstappen wasn't so good at taking care of tires.  Hamilton held off Checo pretty easily.  He never got closer than a second.

I said as much earlier. The hometown hero never even got to try a drs run on hammy that I saw. And that was with Hamilton falling even more behind VER more at the end.

27 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Muy buen dia.
Formation lap
fbd68170d4393bb1baec89562e4409aa.jpg
Start of race
f9a77b69933b7be528e77e6652f8def8.jpg
End of race. Max on an easy Sunday drive. No one else in sight
e127aaa9984987445d05592a379f1a8e.jpg
CDMX is a hidden gem.
Viva mexico

Yeah man. Mexico City is badass. Highly recommend.  Great people, great architecture, great food, great historical/tourist attractions, and a lot more.

• Like 1

It's getting to the point where we just sit and watch the race waiting to see what is the latest misfortune Fernando will suffer. Even while he was cruising in P7 with a great pace, in the back of my mind I kept hoping against hope that the car would keep itself together long enough to hold that spot, but never really believing that it would. 

Just brutal.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

My DVR screwed up. My recording has Russell telling the engineers to wait for softs then jumped forward and he's on hard tires. Did his engineers just insist the mediums would fall off so much that they could catch Pérez?

Yes, they didn't think Red Bull could go to the end on mediums.

When Merc went to hards and RB went to mediums, I thought that Merc had outsmarted them.

But then Max just drove like he could have done the entire race on a set of mediums without stopping. That car is good, but holy shit Max can fly. 

7 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Muy buen dia.
Formation lap
fbd68170d4393bb1baec89562e4409aa.jpg
Start of race
f9a77b69933b7be528e77e6652f8def8.jpg
End of race. Max on an easy Sunday drive. No one else in sight
e127aaa9984987445d05592a379f1a8e.jpg
CDMX is a hidden gem.
Viva mexico

If you don't mind, how much is that seat in Mexico? 

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

It's so weird to me that there are "pay" drivers, but that DR doesn't have a seat despite being what... the fourth most marketable driver behind Max, Lewis, and Leclerc? 

No question about it, he's had a bad year but you would think someone would want to pick him up simply for the interest he would bring from sponsors and the public.

When Merc went to hards and RB went to mediums, I thought that Merc had outsmarted them.
But then Max just drove like he could have done the entire race on a set of mediums without stopping. That car is good, but holy shit Max can fly. 
If you don't mind, how much is that seat in Mexico? 

$1,000.00 usd, roughly with fees. Through a friend of a friend here in CDMX.
Secondary market was bringing 5x that.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's so weird to me that there are "pay" drivers, but that DR doesn't have a seat despite being what... the fourth most marketable driver behind Max, Lewis, and Leclerc? 

No question about it, he's had a bad year but you would think someone would want to pick him up simply for the interest he would bring from sponsors and the public.

who are the pay drivers still around right now though outside of Stroll (are you still technically a pay driver if your dad owns the team? haha)

technically, i guess Zhou Guanyu counts, but he has probably shown he at least should get a second season. plus no reason to sign someone to a long term contract when you are transitioning to an Audi works team in 2026. might as well keep a guy who has done decently as a rookie + brings what I assume is a ton of money/Chinese sponsorship?

8 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

KMag is one, and if rumors are true Hulk will be another. To the point above it’s pretty weird Haas wouldn’t at least try again to make Danny Ric happen.

I've never seen KMag called a pay driver before and same for Hulk. If anything Mick was more of a pay driver because he came with Ferrari's backing + his own sponsors.

someone on twitter said Danny Ric made it clear he wasn't interested in a seat in a car that has setup similarities to the McLaren and people took that to mean no Williams or Haas?