Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

For those who've wondered why Ricciardo's fanbase here outpaces his performance, it's not just the Longhorn thing (which would be enough on its own). He's also a genuinely likeable guy. After the race he apparently went up and apologized to Sainz and the Ferrari mechanics for the collision. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

The dumbest one I saw on this rumor was Charles and Lewis. Anything for clicks..emoji849.png

Yep. Many of the ones I've seen make no sense ... Ricciardo-Alonso, Vettel-Alonso (why would ALO go to AM), and Albon-Gasly, for example.

Here's a thought...

Did Fabrega say that it's 2 current F1 teams? What if Andretti comes in next year?

There are already rumors of Alpine supplying their PUs, and of Andretti bringing along an IndyCar driver ... and Alonso and Andretti get along famously well.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Here's a thought...

Did Fabrega say that it's 2 current F1 teams? What if Andretti comes in next year?

There are already rumors of Alpine supplying their PUs, and of Andretti bringing along an IndyCar driver ... and Alonso and Andretti get along famously well.

Dumb question amnesty...is Andretti looking to become the 11th team so there would be 22 cars on the grid or is he going to buy out another team? 

19 minutes ago, pops said:

Dumb question amnesty...is Andretti looking to become the 11th team so there would be 22 cars on the grid or is he going to buy out another team? 

He's been trying to buy a team for a while, but in the latest rumors it's unclear if he'd be buying a team or becoming the 11th team. I get the feeling Alpine is helping there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I should say, he did try to buy out Haas a bunch of times (and had a preliminary deal with Sauber), but currently they are trying to become a new entry.

Yep, and with Sauber, it was actually very advanced, with an agreement in principal and then the team doing weeks of due diligence. Then Rausing changed the deal on Andretti, wanting to sell the team but still retain control of it. Bizarro world. Of course that was never going to happen. The process cost Andretti a lot of money.

Even the crappiest teams still have tons of valuable data, that a fresh new team doesn't have access to.  For that reason especially, I'd much rather see Andretti buy an existing team than start a new one.  It's just a really tough row to hoe, starting from scratch in modern day F1.

Edited by utee94

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Even the crappiest teams still have tons of valuable data, that a fresh new team doesn't have access to.  For that reason especially, I'd much rather see Andretti buy an existing team than start a new one.  It's just a really tough row to hoe, starting from scratch in modern day F1.

Yep, that's why he tried to buy (at least) Sauber, AT, and Haas.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep, and with Sauber, it was actually very advanced, with an agreement in principal and then the team doing weeks of due diligence. Then Rausing changed the deal on Andretti, wanting to sell the team but still retain control of it. Bizarro world. Of course that was never going to happen. The process cost Andretti a lot of money.

I was always shocked Rausing would've been willing to sell Sauber.  F1 teams are going to explode in value the next five years, and it's almost a guarantee he would've sold too low last year.  Plus, Sauber has been in F1 this long, why pull out right at the time it's about to experience one of the largest explosions in growth in its entire history?  I'm guessing he finally recognized that and then required control after he sold to tank the deal. 

3 hours ago, wood said:

Here's a thought...

The change between teams is what confuses it. Otherwise, Zhou is likely getting moved out for Pourchaire and Latifi will be dropped, likely for Piastri. 

I have two outside ideas.

1. RB have decided they want to keep Perez at least another year or two, so they call Albon to AT because they like how he helps develop the car and mentor Tsunoda and they give Williams Gasly in order to make them happy, since Rb has decided they won't be promoting Gasly before his RB contract runs out. 

2. McLaren brings in Herta and gives Danny Ric a McLaren Indy car seat. 

It'll also be fascinating to see who Aston try to bring in if Seb retires. They have the funds to sign someone like Gasly or loan a Piastri or Pourchaire, but does Lawrence actually want to bring in someone who will likely make Lance look bad? Could we see Aston go for either over the hill big names or payish drivers to protect Lance?

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The change between teams is what confuses it. Otherwise, Zhou is likely getting moved out for Pourchaire and Latifi will be dropped, likely for Piastri. 

I have two outside ideas.

1. RB have decided they want to keep Perez at least another year or two, so they call Albon to AT because they like how he helps develop the car and mentor Tsunoda and they give Williams Gasly in order to make them happy, since Rb has decided they won't be promoting Gasly before his RB contract runs out. 

2. McLaren brings in Herta and gives Danny Ric a McLaren Indy car seat. 

It'll also be fascinating to see who Aston try to bring in if Seb retires. They have the funds to sign someone like Gasly or loan a Piastri or Pourchaire, but does Lawrence actually want to bring in someone who will likely make Lance look bad? Could we see Aston go for either over the hill big names or payish drivers to protect Lance?

aren't they talking about 2 Chinese F1 races next year? China is pretty far and away the largest in unique viewers (70.8m in 2021) and they saw HUGE growth in social media YoY

In 2021, followers (across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, Snapchat, Twitch and Chinese social platforms) were up 40% to 49.1m, video views up 50% to 7bn and total engagement up 74% to 1.5bn.

plus he brings in a ton of cash from the Chinese market.

#1 makes sense to me, i thin the guy who posted it said the name leaving made sense but the name coming in was shocking? Gasly leaving = not a shock. Albon coming back would be though. the holdup to me is why would Gasly be willing to leave what is a better car/PU to go to what is pretty clearly a worse car/PU?

#2 would be shocking to me, but i keep seeing people mention it. even if they make it 1:1 for dollars, why would Danny Ric leave for Indy Car?

I could absolutely see Zhou leaving for AM if Seb retires.

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Hamilton out 

Grosjean in 

I don't think the first bit there is all that far-fetched. I really think Lewis was planning to win #8 and retire at the end of last season. Now he's back and doesn't really seem all that much like he really wants to be there, stuck in a car that is problematic at best.

Rather than GRO, however, I could see Ocon making that jump, since Toto manages him, with Piastri sliding into Ocon's seat.  

• Like 2

Sprint

Formula 1 and the teams were supportive of an extension to six Sprint events for the 2023 season

vader-nooooo.jpg

BUT, it seems that the FIA and $$$ might block that increase.

2026 Power Unit

- the 2026 Power Unit will have similar performance to the current designs, utilising high-power, high-revving V6 internal combustion engines and avoiding

- Reduce car dimensions.

- Reduce or contain car mass.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bc213u2cunbuog3fc7ad

https://scuderiafans.com/fia-reveal-update-on-2023-f1-rules-after-latest-round-of-discussions/

print
- Reduce car dimensions

I don't think the first bit there is all that far-fetched. I really think Lewis was planning to win #8 and retire at the end of last season. Now he's back and doesn't really seem all that much like he really wants to be there, stuck in a car that is problematic at best.
Rather than GRO, however, I could see Ocon making that jump, since Toto manages him, with Piastri sliding into Ocon's seat.  

He does seem like he’s mailing it in

How do you figure he’s mailing it in? George was in 4th because everyone moved out of his way. He made one pass. Hamilton was in a DRS train and Toto has come out and said their car is shit following. He’s had a podium. But, sure, he’s mailed it in.

29 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

If one of them hasn’t recovered by then I would think they’d use Herbie Blash for the weekend.

I do think that he’d have to inspect the new surface too, though. Not saying he can’t do that, but I am not sure how that process works.

Yeah there seems to be some possibility Herbie will do it. He's a good guy, and he was Charlie's right hand man since forever. Not sure how prepared he'd be for that role, but they could certainly do worse.

3 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah there seems to be some possibility Herbie will do it. He's a good guy, and he was Charlie's right hand man since forever. Not sure how prepared he'd be for that role, but they could certainly do worse.

For example... Masi. ;)

Joe's Award (fwiw) ...

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2022/04/27/green-notebook-from-chickenville/

Australians are pretty excited about F1 at the moment, although Daniel Ricciardo seems a little lost at McLaren and there continue to be rumours that in 2024 (if not earlier) Daniel will be replaced by Colton Herta, the American who Zak Brown believes could open the gates of Formula 1 to corporate America. We will have to see if Herta has everything needed to be an F1 star, but he seems to have the speed, whether he can go on being a drummer in a rock band called Zibs in his spare time remains to be seen, as F1 is a fulltime job.

All the signs in the paddock are that Fernando will soon sign a new two-year deal with Alpine, which will mean that he stays until the end of 2024. After that the French firm may wish him to move into its LMDh sports car programme. Fernando is a smart cookie and knows that dumping him would be a negative thing for Alpine, but with Oscari Piastri sitting uncomfortably in the wings, Fernando needs not only to perform but also to get support. He has just announced a personal sponsorship deal with Castrol, Alpine’s oil sponsor, which makes it harder for Alpine to move him on. A clever move.

1 hour ago, faps said:

The funny thing is that Kelly McGillis doesn't look a whole lot better than chick Max.

Especially now. She's fucking scary. But even back then, I never understood how she was cast as the hot instructor love interest. Not hot at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

Herta question, but doesn't he have an existing/prior relationship with the Andretti family? like beyond just they own the team he drives for?

Sorry, I have no idea about their relationship before Colton started driving for them ... but his dad Brian drove for Andretti in the early 2000s iirc.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, wood said:

Hmmm ... Ricciardo - Gasly?

I don't remember who said it here, but if RB rates Albon highly enough for next year, the Gasly > Albon swap would make some level of sense if you know Gasly isn't coming back and you aren't sure what you want to do with Yuki. Might as well give Albon half a season in an AT? Or Yuki > Williams > contract for next year with Albon coming back?

...Then again, why would Gasly agree to it, because AT is a much better car this year than the Williams.

the Danny Ric to AT stuff makes no sense because he would have to agree to it, right? their contacts are "tradable" for lack of a better term are they?

Basically anywhere else that makes sense is going to be a less good car, which I can't see him agreeing to do.

Maybe some combo of Seb to retire, Danny Ric to AM (contract extension at his current top 5 salary to entice him to go ?), Herta? to McLaren?

I don't see Lewis retiring (which may trigger that Ocon to MB that i have seen multiple people talk about?) if Checo had a terrible part of the season so far, maybe RB would bump up Gasly and then do something with Perez, but he obviously has been very good and Max is going to need all the help he can get to even sniff a WDC.

Edited by NoName