Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

I just don't think Checo or RB have any desire to part ways.  Checo has never had as good of a car and from Red Bull's perspective they aren't going to find a better driver that is fine with the #2 role.  They also don't have a young driver who could replace him and drive at the same level.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I just don't think Checo or RB have any desire to part ways.  Checo has never had as good of a car and from Red Bull's perspective they aren't going to find a better driver that is fine with the #2 role.  They also don't have a young driver who could replace him and drive at the same level.

Yep.  Checo is what Horner wanted Danny to be.  Very solid, fast #2 to Max.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah imho any talk of Checo leaving RBR is not realistic at all atm.

16 hours ago, kevwun said:

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  Checo is what Horner wanted Danny to be.  Very solid, fast #2 to Max.  

16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I don't either.  Checo is damned near a perfect second seat to Verstappen.

sorry for the confusion, i was saying if Checo had a bad start to the season maybe they would have thought about moving on, but he clearly hasn't and is clearly a fantastic #2 to Max!

• Hook 'Em 1

Sky published some more footage and a one-on-one that Lewis and Valentino Rossi did back in 2020 when they did the F1 car/MotoGP bike swap.

Pretty cool. I didn’t realize that Lewis did 59 laps at Valencia (the MotoGP circuit not the old street circuit) a few days before this with Morbidelli (also peep James Vowles there, both he and Bono ride as well). That must have been a tiring day.

Also, Rossi says that at one point in 2006 he was kinda close to driving for Ferrari, but ultimately says he wasn’t as good on 4 wheels as he was on 2, and since he wasn’t “ready” to stop riding, he continued with motorcycles.

• Hook 'Em 1

MotoGP and highest levels of Rally are the two forms of motorsport that just look absolutely nuts to me.

Pretty much every other style of motorsport, at least on land, I look at and think "man I'd like to try a few laps in one of those" and naively think I could at least make it around.

But Rally and MotoGP I'm just, "nope!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yeah, the Baja 1000 spectators are absolute lunatics. I don't get it. 

And then you have the morons who get in their car and actually drive out onto the course, as Alexander Rossi discovered the hard way...

Edited by wood

Yesterday I finally made a connection with someone at the very large computer manufacturing company I work for that is the technology partner of McLaren, who might be able to get me some perks related to the race.  The suite seats are all occupied by corporate bigwigs of course, but there are other events and seats that the company has access to, and at the very least probably some cool schwag.

But if y'all see me in the McLaren garage in October, you'll know I've arrived. :)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Alonso going balls to the wall: https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/uf5j6r/alonso_on_hamilton_this_is_f1_when_senna_won/

Alonso on Hamilton - “This is F1... When Senna won titles, he had the fastest car. When I won two titles, I had the fastest car... Now he may be able to race very well, but he will cross the line in P13. That's just how it goes”

on another note, any F1 books recommended? stolen from this reddit post: https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/uexyjo/formula_1_books_to_read/

here is what is recommended in that thread, full list:

Spoiler
  • The Death of Ayrton Senna by Richard Williams
  • Total Competition by Ross Brawn
  • Senna v Prost by Malcom Folley
  • The Limit by Michael Cannell (one of my favourites, it tells the story of the 1961 F1 season)
  • Watching the Wheels by Damon Hill
  • The Mechanics Tale and Life in the Fast Lane by Steve Matchett (his other 3 books about f1 are supposed to be really good)
  • Winning is not enough by Jackie Stewart
  • Aussie Grit by Mark Webber
  • Survive Drive Win by Nick Fry

• The Mechanic by Marc Priestley

• "my greatest defeat" by will buxton

• No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone.

• Enzo Ferrari The Man the Cars, the Races by Brock Yates.

• How To Build A Car- Adrian Newey
  • Unless I’m Very Much Mistaken- Murray Walker (audiobook version is much better, adds a lot to the experience as Murray himself narrates it)
  • The Mechanic- Marc Priestley
  • How To Be An F1 Driver- Jenson Button
  • Life On The Limit- Jenson Button
  • Total Competition- Ross Brawn
  • Lights Out, Full Throttle- Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert
  • Aussie Grit: My F1 Journey- Mark Webber
  • It Is What It Is: The Autobiography- David Coulthard
  • The Mechanic’s Tale- Steve Matchett
  • A Different Kind of Life- Virginia Williams
  • Watching The Wheels: My Autobiography- Damon Hill
  • Maurice Hamilton has a book about Williams
  • To Hell And Back: An Autobiography- Niki Lauda
  • Winning Is Not Enough- Jackie Stewart
  • Staying On Track- Nigel Mansell
  • The Unknown Kimi Raikkonen- Kari Hotakainen
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone- Tom Bower
  • Life at the Limit and Beyond the Limit by Professor Sid Watkins,

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Alonso going balls to the wall: https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/uf5j6r/alonso_on_hamilton_this_is_f1_when_senna_won/

on another note, any F1 books recommended? stolen from this reddit post: https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/uexyjo/formula_1_books_to_read/

here is what is recommended in that thread, full list:

Reveal hidden contents
  • The Death of Ayrton Senna by Richard Williams
  • Total Competition by Ross Brawn
  • Senna v Prost by Malcom Folley
  • The Limit by Michael Cannell (one of my favourites, it tells the story of the 1961 F1 season)
  • Watching the Wheels by Damon Hill
  • The Mechanics Tale and Life in the Fast Lane by Steve Matchett (his other 3 books about f1 are supposed to be really good)
  • Winning is not enough by Jackie Stewart
  • Aussie Grit by Mark Webber
  • Survive Drive Win by Nick Fry

• The Mechanic by Marc Priestley

• "my greatest defeat" by will buxton

• No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone.

• Enzo Ferrari The Man the Cars, the Races by Brock Yates.

• How To Build A Car- Adrian Newey
  • Unless I’m Very Much Mistaken- Murray Walker (audiobook version is much better, adds a lot to the experience as Murray himself narrates it)
  • The Mechanic- Marc Priestley
  • How To Be An F1 Driver- Jenson Button
  • Life On The Limit- Jenson Button
  • Total Competition- Ross Brawn
  • Lights Out, Full Throttle- Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert
  • Aussie Grit: My F1 Journey- Mark Webber
  • It Is What It Is: The Autobiography- David Coulthard
  • The Mechanic’s Tale- Steve Matchett
  • A Different Kind of Life- Virginia Williams
  • Watching The Wheels: My Autobiography- Damon Hill
  • Maurice Hamilton has a book about Williams
  • To Hell And Back: An Autobiography- Niki Lauda
  • Winning Is Not Enough- Jackie Stewart
  • Staying On Track- Nigel Mansell
  • The Unknown Kimi Raikkonen- Kari Hotakainen
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone- Tom Bower
  • Life at the Limit and Beyond the Limit by Professor Sid Watkins,

Priestley's book is pretty good, light reading. I've also heard Matchett's book is good.  And Buxton has a book? LOL. FTP.

53 minutes ago, wood said:

Priestley's book is pretty good, light reading. I've also heard Matchett's book is good.  And Buxton has a book? LOL. FTP.

concept isn't bad?

My Greatest Defeat is a collection of honest and revealing insights into 20 of the greatest living racing drivers, legends of the worlds of Formula 1, Indycar, NASCAR, Le Mans and Rally. Interviews conducted specially for this book are with (in alphabetical order) Mario Andretti, Derek Bell, Emerson Fittipaldi, Dario Franchitti, Jeff Gordon, Mika Häkkinen, Damon Hill, Jimmie Johnson, Tom Kristensen, Niki Lauda, Sebastien Loeb, Felipe Massa, Rick Mears, Emanuele Pirro, Alain Prost, Carlos Sainz, Jackie Stewart, Bobby Unser, Ari Vatanen and Alex Zanardi. Here are five highlights…

• Dario Franchitti — The Indycar champion talks of the deaths of the friends that book-ended his career in racing, the heartbreak that each caused and the aftermath of accidents that affected the physical functioning of his brain.
  • Jeff Gordon — One of the all-time NASCAR greats, he looks back on his many championships, admitting that today he cannot view a single one with anything but regret as family relationships were soured and stretched to breaking point.
  • Jimmie Johnson — One of the greatest stock car drivers in history, Johnson was at one time considered a reckless outcast. He reflects on the little-known crash that almost killed him and changed his mindset forever.
  • Niki Lauda — A racer who needs no introduction, Niki Lauda discusses the loss of one of his aircraft over Thailand in which all on board were killed; for eight months he fought to clear the name of his pilots and change aircraft safety forever.
  • Alex Zanardi — In a deep and revealing conversation, the Paralympic gold medalist, who lost both legs in an Indycar accident, discusses how we decipher between our passion and our ambition and how childhood dreams affect our adult decisions.

•  
  • Like 2

TV schedule (all times Eastern):

Miami Grand Prix

Practice 1 - Friday, May 6 - 2.25PM - ESPN2
Practice 2 - Friday, May 6 - 5.25PM - ESPNEWS/ESPN3

Practice 3 - Saturday, May 7 - 12.55PM - ESPNEWS/ESPN3
Qualifying - Saturday, May 7 - 3.55PM - ESPN

Pre-race show - Sunday, May 8 - 2PM - ABC
Miami Grand Prix - Sunday, May 8 - 3.25PM - ABC

Post-race show - Sunday, May 8 - 5.30PM - ESPN3

53 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

You serious? The Daily Show with Noah is great.

Yep. It's piss, imho.

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

His book is amazing, too.  Dude grew up dirt poor in apartheid South Africa and was a product of an illegal relationship (dad is white, mom is black).

Sure, he probably has a cool personal backstory. Dude's just not funny, on a show that's supposed be funny among other things.

• Like 1

Looks like Checo told Fox Mexico that Vertsappen got weight reduction and aero upgrades that Checo didn’t, so that likely means Perez would’ve been right up there with Verstappen if RB ever treated their 2nd driver fairly. He’s been on Max’s pace often this year and should have all the upgrades at Miami so we’ll see how it goes. 

Ferrari is giving Leclerc his 2nd PU, which will have 10-15 extra hp. Not sure what other upgrades they’re bringing, but you have to think they bring something after Imola. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Looks like Checo told Fox Mexico that Vertsappen got weight reduction and aero upgrades that Checo didn’t, so that likely means Perez would’ve been right up there with Verstappen if RB ever treated their 2nd driver fairly. He’s been on Max’s pace often this year and should have all the upgrades at Miami so we’ll see how it goes. 

Ferrari is giving Leclerc his 2nd PU, which will have 10-15 extra hp. Not sure what other upgrades they’re bringing, but you have to think they bring something after Imola. 

Most teams favor their #1, esp if they have a clear #1, but tbf, sometimes teams can only bring upgrades for one car, esp in a year like this one, with such a frenetic pace of development. We've already seen other teams doing the same this year. It can also help in the evaluation/validation of the upgrade if you can still run the previous version at the same track.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 9:46 PM, wood said:

LOL Miami.

geggvjv03qw81.jpg

Building a fake marina to race around instead of racing around your actual marina seems very “Miami.” Isn’t there actual ocean front in Miami? They couldn’t run the race along South Beach or Miami Beach?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Dutch said:

Building a fake marina to race around instead of racing around your actual marina seems very “Miami.” Isn’t there actual ocean front in Miami? They couldn’t run the race along South Beach or Miami Beach?

They originally had a couple of pretty cool looking routes they were investigating, but as I recall they couldn't get through all of the necessary approvals.  So a race in the parking lot of a stadium, is where they landed.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They originally had a couple of pretty cool looking routes they were investigating, but as I recall they couldn't get through all of the necessary approvals.  So a race in the parking lot of a stadium, is where they landed.

Pretty sure you can thank Fuck Bobby Epstein for that. It's almost a carbon copy of what he did with MLS here.

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Pretty sure you can thank Fuck Bobby Epstein for that. It's almost a carbon copy of what he did with MLS here.

I'm delighted with where MLS ended up here in Austin.  If it's FBE's doing then I owe that guy a beer. ;)

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm delighted with where MLS ended up here in Austin.  If it's FBE's doing then I owe that guy a beer. ;)

Sure, it ended up great (and I know you're just kidding), but Bobby was fighting tooth and nail against that location as well, right til the end. Remember Susan Spataro? She's a Bobby minion. The Pleasant Valley location's opposition consisted almost exclusively of Bobby's friends out in Elroy, who wouldn't have been affected by it in the least. He also fought the new Moody Center & the Moody Amphitheater. FTP.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Someone on Autosport actually brought up a plausible explanation for the fake marina - that it might be boat sales setup. Doesn't make it less silly or tacky on the face of it, but makes a little bit of sense of it.

I couldn't quite piece together how that whole thing was going to work w/ yachts on fake water.  Were they going to build fake yachts?  Nope - the yachts are on trailers and the fake water is a platform built around them, to be covered w/ blue tarp/wallpaper/whatever.

• Haha 3

On 5/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Pizza Yes GIFNo Problem Yes GIF by WWE

That's what I was hoping for after Honda said they were getting out.

I have a soft spot for McLaren because my brother used to do their Asian trademark work, and, I like Audi, too so I hope it works.

14 hours ago, Mittens said:

I couldn't quite piece together how that whole thing was going to work w/ yachts on fake water.  Were they going to build fake yachts?  Nope - the yachts are on trailers and the fake water is a platform built around them, to be covered w/ blue tarp/wallpaper/whatever.

That's fucking stupid. It looks like something out of https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com in Hamburg.