Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sainz continues to struggle mightily. He was almost half a second back in quali from Leclerc and would’ve finished 6th today if no one had engine trouble. He had horrible pace all day. 

Sucks for him. He’s my second favorite driver, but Ferrari has to treat him as a #2 if they want any chance at the WDC. 

His pace wasn't great, but I had to wonder if his car had sustained some damage when the gust of tailwind sent him into the gravel.

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Damn, what a recovery from Lewis today, without any SC or anything. Wonder where he’d have been without that lap 1 incident. Thanks, Kevin.

Magnusson said that was on Lewis.... And fia called it regular contact...

But did we not all see Magnusson n turn his wheels directly into Hamilton? I don't think you're supposed to make another car your apex.

Hamilton would probably be P3 or P4. Merc isn't fast enough yet, but the handling seems to be solved.

Better qualify fast next week... And avoid mid pack... 

Ferrari better get their power plant figured out... They will be under more pressure going forward.

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sucks for him. He’s my second favorite driver, but Ferrari has to treat him as a #2 if they want any chance at the WDC. 

He is certainly the #2. I don't know if their being treated as 1 & 2, but he is 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

How bad is the COTA in and out transportation thing?  Spain improved greatly from yesterday to today.  I have severe neuropathy in my feet and could barely walk after yesterday.  Today I had no issues.  We’re thinking about coming to Austin this year for the race. 

How bad is the COTA in and out transportation thing?  Spain improved greatly from yesterday to today.  I have severe neuropathy in my feet and could barely walk after yesterday.  Today I had no issues.  We’re thinking about coming to Austin this year for the race. 

A mess / nightmare depending on where you park. Get helicoptered in and you’re good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Norris did that drive with an active case of tonsillitis? Mad respect. Dude seems like he as WDC talent if McLaren can get him a worthy car. 

Legit sad for Carlos; looked on for a podium at his home race. 

Merc solving their issues? Three-way battles at the few front will be fun to watch.

”You’re on different strategies.” Yeah, um, Max is on for the win and you for P2. 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Still beat the brakes off Danny. He and Sainez are the two biggest disappointments this year for me. 

I saw somewhere that Lando had an upgrade or two that Danny didn't have, but I have no idea if that's true...

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

It's a colossal shitshow, or at least it was in 2021. From what I can tell about what happened in Barcelona, COTA 2021 was much worse. People waited 2-3 hours after they entered the lot, just to get to their parking space. There was little to no traffic control. Thousands of people missed the start of Qualifying and the race because they were stuck in their cars.Many people just parked where they were. This even happened on Friday and Saturday. Lots of people, after their Friday and Saturday experiences, just gave up on Sunday and left town early.

After Qualifying and the GP, there were multiple lots that had only one exit lane, and nobody controlling traffic on the roads the lots were emptying onto. People sat for hours before finally some people got out of their cars and started directing traffic. There were no COTA or Law Enforcement personnel to be found.

The shuttle fiasco left literally thousands of ppl walking 3 miles along a dark FM 812 to their parking lot. Lots of people waited 2 hours for the shuttle, being told all along that the shuttles were on their way, only to eventually be told no shuttle would be coming, and they'd have to walk.

Ever been to Montreal?

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wood said:

I saw somewhere that Lando had an upgrade or two that Danny didn't have, but I have no idea if that's true...

I heard announcers say that at some point over the weekend.  Don't remember if it was practice or the race.

28 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I was under the impression that both cars were getting the upgrades, but Daniel was running the old specs during practice to verify data and improvements. Maybe I misunderstood.

If that's the case, then that could also explain why Danny was slower, having had little/no practice or setup time with the new spec.

I feel like that drone would be better if it was placed static above say turn 9. So we can see the cars from above tackling a high speed corner.

Also, would really love if that final chicane was gone. That final corner was a beast back in the day and if cars can follow now, maybe do away with the chicane.

Edited by faps
  • Hook 'Em 1

I feel like that drone would be better if it was placed static above say turn 9. So we can see the cars from above tackling a high speed corner.
Also, would really love if that final chicane was gone. That final corner was a beast back in the day and if cars can follow now, maybe do away with the chicane.

They want to remove it starting next year. Also, on the podium where it had the outline of the circuit, they didn’t have the chicane in it, haha. But yeah, they are definitely trying to get it removed.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Go back to using a helicopter instead of a drone.  I'm sure it's more expensive, but does F1 really need to cut corners right now?

Plus, as a fan in live attendance, watching "crazy helicopter guy" streak around the racecourse is one of the best parts.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Go back to using a helicopter instead of a drone.  I'm sure it's more expensive, but does F1 really need to cut corners right now?

Plus, as a fan in live attendance, watching "crazy helicopter guy" streak around the racecourse is one of the best parts.

They had both, which is why it made no sense to have the drone. It added nothing, and just looked terrible. I'm wondering if there is one part of that track they did not have clearance to fly the chopper, hence the drone use. I also do not remember the drone usage at any other track this year.

1 hour ago, faps said:

Exactly. That's what my 18 yo and I, and you, and tons of other people were saying. It's too slow to chase the cars and the camera and the stabilization aren't good enough for distant shots, etc, etc. The amazing thing was that these idiots just kept beating their heads against the wall with it. Don't get me wrong. Drones can be used to get great shots, but at least for now, it's no replacement for the helicopter. But they just seemed completely oblivious to how bad it was. 

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They still used the helo this weekend, but they still insisted on hammering us with inferior drone shots. F1 gonna F1.

5 minutes ago, wood said:

They still used the helo this weekend, but they still insisted on hammering us with inferior drone shots. F1 gonna F1.

I guess I just noticed the drone so much, and it was so jarring and offputting, that I didn't really even see the helicopter footage.

The drone sucked and I hope never to see  it again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2022 at 3:47 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Still beat the brakes off Danny. He and Sainez are the two biggest disappointments this year for me. 

Danny had 2-3 laps where he lost 3-4 positions.  I haven't heard anything, but was wondering if it was something with his car again.  He lost out to Lando, Mick and a couple others in quick succession and then stabilized around P12 the rest of the race.  There's no reason he shouldn't be able to keep pace with Lando unless something else was going on.

TBF, RBR aren't the only ones wanting to increase the cap. Last I heard, only three teams were opposed to raising it - Alpine, Alfa Romeo, and Haas. I hope they keep it where it is, but I doubt it'll happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

TBF, RBR aren't the only ones wanting to increase the cap. Last I heard, only three teams were opposed to raising it - Alpine, Alfa Romeo, and Haas. I hope they keep it where it is, but I doubt it'll happen.
Parity is a good thing. I like the cap.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
14 minutes ago, wood said:

Parity is a good thing. I like the cap.

Yep, me too. But if they leave it to a team vote where Ferrari, Merc, and RBR all want to raise it, it's gonna get raised. Sadly. Biggest thing that's wrong with F1 is giving the teams too much say re: rules.

• Like 1

Speaking of Monaco, this is where I post my annual reminder that the Monaco weekend schedule is different from other grand prix, and FP1 and FP2 are on Thursday, with no F1 events happening on Friday.

HOWEVER

This year that isn't true.  F1 events follow the usual schedule with two practice sessions on Friday, FP3 and qualy on Saturday, and the race on Sunday

TV Schedule (all times Eastern):

Monaco Grand Prix:

Practice 1 - Friday, May 27 - 7.55AM - ESPN2
Practice 2 - Friday, May 27 - 10.55AM - ESPN2

Practice 3 - Saturday, May 28 - 6.55AM - ESPN2
Qualifying - Saturday, May 28 - 9.55AM - ESPN2

Pre-race show - Sunday, May 29 - 7:30AM - ESPN
Monaco Grand Prix - Sunday, May 29 - 8.55AM - ESPN
Post-race show - Sunday, May 29 - 11.00AM - ESPN3

Race (re-air) - Sunday, May 29 - 3.30pm - ABC

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, G650 said:

i never knew this was an option, now i want to see it happen

"Seven of the teams would probably need to miss the last four races to come within the cap this year," he said.

also this is infuriating. they need to have a floor too. if you can't afford the floor you don't need to be in the sport. meanwhile they are out here shitting on guys who want to come in and spend $$$.

Some of the smaller teams have budgets lower than the cap, and they say that increasing it would only increase the inequity across the field - which is counter to the aim of the rule changes introduced by the FIA and F1.

Yeah it’s kinda weird. If you were to implement an actual salary cap in baseball, you wouldn’t set it at what the A’s or Orioles spend.

However, that is essentially what F1 did, since the current cap is basically what Williams/Alfa had been spending in 2019/2020, and even that money is now worth a lot less while the regulations nearly completely changed.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

also this is infuriating. they need to have a floor too. if you can't afford the floor you don't need to be in the sport. meanwhile they are out here shitting on guys who want to come in and spend $$$.

The three teams who are against raising the cap were ok with the current cap. They're spending lots of money too, just not enough to go over the limit. The seven who could conceivably miss races want more money to spend, because they are spending so much money and didn't do what was necessary to come in under the cap. I don't think Alpine, AR, and Haas are shitting on the guys who want to spend money. They're just trying to get them to honor the agreement already in place.

It's not much of a budget cap if the wealthier teams can just get it raised whenever they want to exceed it. If they can do that, then what's the point of even having a cap? It's just like track limits. If the drivers know they can exceed them without a penalty, then they will, but if they know there will be a penalty, then they suddenly have no problem staying on track. If you allow the big spenders to raise the 'cap' when they want to, then there really is no cap at all. Until you enforce it, the top teams won't do what it takes to come in under budget.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Don't get me wrong. I'd love as much as anyone to see a return to 12 or 13 teams with massive budgets supplied by sponsors with unbelievably deep pockets. But that's not gonna happen now. A spending floor would more than likely knock out some teams, diminishing a grid that's already too small as it is..

I think the grid is large enough.  And if the back teams are always ever going to be nothing more than rolling chicanes, then I'd be okay with tightening it down further.

The truth is that Formula 1 is incredibly expensive and it's not for everyone.  It was never supposed to be.

Fewer teams running 3 or 4 cars might be the only realistic way forward here.  Absolutely the last thing I'd ever want to see happen in F1 is that it become a spec series.  We already have plenty of those around the world.

To be fair, the cap was originally supposed to be $175m, but then they went down because of covid to the $140m. A further 20% decrease is quite a bit, especially now with material costs etc. I know it was agreed to, but I’m just saying I can understand why this is happening given the current circumstances.

I guess in the end it didn’t even matter since the top teams are still at the top. Haas did improve, but that kinda seems to be the only “big” change.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I think the grid is large enough.  And if the back teams are always ever going to be nothing more than rolling chicanes, then I'd be okay with tightening it down further.

The truth is that Formula 1 is incredibly expensive and it's not for everyone.  It was never supposed to be.

Fewer teams running 3 or 4 cars might be the only realistic way forward here.  Absolutely the last thing I'd ever want to see happen in F1 is that it become a spec series.  We already have plenty of those around the world.

I've been through 7 or 8 team F1 grids before. It was turrible. And yeah, 3 car teams are possible, but then the teams are spending even more money and there are always gonna be teams that can barely hang in there even if you get rid of the current bottom 3. If you drop teams, then 2 or 3 midfield teams suddenly become the tail end of the field. Then they start losing sponsorship money, and the whole cycle starts over again, leading to losing even more teams eventually. F1 is incredibly expensive and not for everyone, which is exactly why the budget cap is necessary to sustain the sport. 

Look what happened before when they invited new teams under a cost cap that everyone said was going to happen. The new teams joined based on that cap. The cap failed, and then those teams could only hang for 2-4 years.

1 hour ago, wood said:

The three teams who are against raising the cap were ok with the current cap. They're spending lots of money too, just not enough to go over the limit. The seven who could conceivably miss races want more money to spend, because they are spending so much money and didn't do what was necessary to come in under the cap. I don't think Alpine, AR, and Haas are shitting on the guys who want to spend money. They're just trying to get them to honor the agreement already in place.

It's not much of a budget cap if the wealthier teams can just get it raised whenever they want to exceed it. If they can do that, then what's the point of even having a cap? It's just like track limits. If the drivers know they can exceed them without a penalty, then they will, but if they know there will be a penalty, then they suddenly have no problem staying on track. If you allow the big spenders to raise the 'cap' when they want to, then there really is no cap at all. Until you enforce it, the top teams won't do what it takes to come in under budget.

i'm all for the cost cap, i just want a cost floor as well!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1