Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

57 minutes ago, wood said:

I've been through 7 or 8 team F1 grids before. It was turrible. And yeah, 3 car teams are possible, but then the teams are spending even more money and there are always gonna be teams that can barely hang in there even if you get rid of the current bottom 3. If you drop teams, then 2 or 3 midfield teams suddenly become the tail end of the field. Then they start losing sponsorship money, and the whole cycle starts over again, leading to losing even more teams eventually. F1 is incredibly expensive and not for everyone, which is exactly why the budget cap is necessary to sustain the sport. 

Look what happened before when they invited new teams under a cost cap that everyone said was going to happen. The new teams joined based on that cap. The cap failed, and then those teams could only hang for 2-4 years.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't really agree. 

In my ideal world I want the best cars and the best teams, the most advanced technlogy, all unencumbered by cost caps and regs.  Other than safety regs, I'd like to see pretty much all technical regs elimimated and let teams develop whatever they believe to be the fastest.  I'd be okay with losing a ton of the sporting regs, too.  Track limits should be enforced by lava run-offs, or in the absence of that, then a shitload of grass and gravel.

Like I said, we have plenty of spec series around the world.  Teams that can't afford F1 budgets should look into those series.  I'm fine with 4 or 5 teams running 4 cars each, if that's what it takes to get parity and competition on the grid, and eliminate the weak teams that do nothing more than muck up the grid.

I understand that there are realistic limits to my ideal, but going too far the other way is really bad for the sport.  My opinion, of course.

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

I do lean somewhat towards utee’s opinion, however, getting rid of the formula and making it Formula 0 would just lead to even less parity, because one team would likely just dominate even more. You do still need guardrails.

Yep. I get the desire for unbridled competition and unlimited spending, but unlimited spending and parity are on opposite ends of the spectrum. A wide open F1 like the old days isn't gonna happen anytime soon. And having a cost cap won't make F1 a spec series. There's a cost cap now, and lots of new standard parts, and F1 still still doesn't look like a spec series. Far from it. Re: eliminating the weak teams, that's the thing. There will always be weak teams, even with only a few teams left. 

14 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do lean somewhat towards utee’s opinion, however, getting rid of the formula and making it Formula 0 would just lead to even less parity, because one team would likely just dominate even more. You do still need guardrails.

That's not what he is saying though, and I'm not sure he has thought it through. I'm definitely of the no cost cap no rules view, wide the fuck open with maximum space in the box rule. He is proposing narrowing the box to nothing, which is the opposite. I'm pretty anti parity in sports in general, but I understand that;s not the popular view. And if you aren't going free for all, then you need a cap.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

That's not what he is saying though, and I'm not sure he has thought it through. I'm definitely of the no cost cap no rules view, wide the fuck open with maximum space in the box rule. He is proposing narrowing the box to nothing, which is the opposite. I'm pretty anti parity in sports in general, but I understand that;s not the popular view. And if you aren't going free for all, then you need a cap.

Oh I'm saying my ideal view is a complete free for all.  No cost caps, no regs.

I understand that's not realistic, but at the same time I also don't condone the trending toward becoming a spec series, which is where F1 is headed compared to where it was a few decades ago.  

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Oh I'm saying my ideal view is a complete free for all.  No cost caps, no regs.

I understand that's not realistic, but at the same time I also don't condone the trending toward becoming a spec series, which is where F1 is headed compared to where it was a few decades ago.  

Well that is in direct opposition to saying the grid is large enough as it is

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well that is in direct opposition to saying the grid is large enough as it is

Hmmm, okay, I see what your inference was.

What I meant by that, was that I don't support any measures to keep the grid numbers artificially high by limiting costs. So I'm okay with a smaller grid, if that's where we end up after assuming the complete free-for-all model.

But if two dozen teams want to enter cars under a Formula 0 scenario with zero cost caps and zero technical regs, that's fine with me.  I think it's unrealistic to think there'd be a lot of teams willing to sign up for that, but I'd support it if it somehow happened.

Edited by utee94

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But if two dozen teams want to enter cars under a Formula 0 scenario with zero cost caps and zero technical regs, that's fine with me.  I think it's unrealistic to think there'd be a lot of teams willing to sign up for that, but I'd support it if it somehow happened.

hell-yeah-rock-and-roll.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

amazing:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/05/24/f1-driver-tracks-down-thieves-that-stole-his-airpods-with-find-my

Driving with his family on Monday morning after the Spanish Grand Prix, Vettel stopped his Aston Martin at a hotel in Barcelona, and got out of the car. Thieves used the opportunity to grab a backpack from the car before getting away.

The four-time Formula 1 champion didn't immediately contact the police, but instead attempted to handle the theft himself, reports iPadizate. Vettel picked up an electric scooter and opened the Find My app, to track down AirPods held inside the bag.

Police later joined Vettel as he went after the thieves through the city, urging Vettel to file a complaint at a station instead of continuing the chase.

Eventually, the driver was led to a haberdashery, where he found the AirPods left in a vase of flowers in a shop display. Evidently, the thieves worked out that they were being tracked by the AirPods.

Spoiler

F1 driver tracks down thieves that stole his AirPods with Find My

Malcolm Owen's AvatarMalcolm Owen | May 24, 2022
article thumbnail

AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.

After being robbed on Monday, Formula 1 driver Sebastian Vettel tried to get back his belongings, chasing after the thieves using the Find My app to track his AirPods.

Driving with his family on Monday morning after the Spanish Grand Prix, Vettel stopped his Aston Martin at a hotel in Barcelona, and got out of the car. Thieves used the opportunity to grab a backpack from the car before getting away.

The four-time Formula 1 champion didn't immediately contact the police, but instead attempted to handle the theft himself, reports iPadizate. Vettel picked up an electric scooter and opened the Find My app, to track down AirPods held inside the bag.

Police later joined Vettel as he went after the thieves through the city, urging Vettel to file a complaint at a station instead of continuing the chase.

Eventually, the driver was led to a haberdashery, where he found the AirPods left in a vase of flowers in a shop display. Evidently, the thieves worked out that they were being tracked by the AirPods.

Police have yet to find the thieves, but hope to identify them based on security footage from the hotel.

The backpack contained a number of personal items, aside from the AirPods, including his driver's license, his passport, and several credit cards which have been canceled.

Robbing Formula 1 drivers can be lucrative to thieves, in part due to the high-value of their possessions. In July 2021, British F1 driver Lando Norris had his $50,000 watch stolen after a sporting event, while in April 2022, driver Charles Leclerc had his $320,000 watch stolen in Italy.

While AirTags are known more for helping people track down lost items, the Find My system has been helpful in other ways. In February, a tracked iPad was used to hunt down a kidnapper. In April, stolen AirPods were used the same way to keep tabs on Russian forces operating in the Ukraine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

It was never supposed to be.

F1 was at its best when some blokes in a shed in the midlands with some hammers and aluminum sheet could bang out a chassis in a few weeks, bolt a DFV to the back of it, and go racing competitively. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

F1 was at its best when some blokes in a shed in the midlands with some hammers and aluminum sheet could bang out a chassis in a few weeks, bolt a DFV to the back of it, and go racing competitively. 

Yassss

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, elfenix said:

I'm down with that.  If some blokes with some hammers and aluminum sheeting can put together a car that makes 1:22 in a lap at Monza, bring 'em on!

These big, heavy cars have looked slow as shit in slow corners all season. Expect them to look like they're crawling in Monaco. Could be a good thing for Alfa Romeo though. They were quickest of all through the final chicane in Spain. Could be a good sign for them heading into Monaco.

FThSYBJWIAEcI7L?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This was a couple years back, before The Plague. We were in Monaco for the afternoon. It was Wednesday, or Tuesday, after the race and a lot of the barriers were still in place. Its was all kinds of cool to drive around the course.

SDC11501.JPG

Nice. Tabac?

37 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Conference is correct.  Coming down the hill, opposite of the race, looking at the first turn, Sainte Devote.

Gotcha. Right area, wrong direction. I thought it looked funny for Tabac. Tabac is flatter. Looking backward down the hill is what threw me.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Awkward Nicole Kidman GIF by Formula 1

Lulz. Kimi had less than zero time or energy for anything that didn't involve actually racing an F1 car.  The drink, gloves, or steering wheel? All involved in racing.  Meeting an actress. Pfft.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Lulz. Kimi had less than zero time or energy for anything that didn't involve actually racing an F1 car.  The drink, gloves, or steering wheel? All involved in racing.  

Well, that and ice cream.

• Haha 1