Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

24 minutes ago, wood said:

Nice. I wonder why they don't use this angle so much any more. Maybe because these heavy cars aren't as nimble through Piscine?

I remember in the pre-race shows from 10+ years ago, they used to talk about how they had to setup the cars carefully in Monaco to be super-balanced right in the midsection, in order to tiptoe around corners like that and the Nouvelle Chicane.  They set up the cars with more balance fore or aft for other circuits, but at Monaco they had to be setup right in the middle so they could easily pivot around the small corners.

Nowadays I don't think it's even possible to set up these lumbering beasts with such precision, and certainly nobody bothers to talk about it anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, faps said:

If we are posting vids, we can't overlook Jarno's 2004 pole lap.

Got damn ... that V10. No other engine communicates every little throttle input and varies its note at different RPM the way they did. Just sings a song, every lap.

• Hook 'Em 4

I remember in the pre-race shows from 10+ years ago, they used to talk about how they had to setup the cars carefully in Monaco to be super-balanced right in the midsection, in order to tiptoe around corners like that and the Nouvelle Chicane.  They set up the cars with more balance fore or aft for other circuits, but at Monaco they had to be setup right in the middle so they could easily pivot around the small corners.
Nowadays I don't think it's even possible to set up these lumbering beasts with such precision, and certainly nobody bothers to talk about it anymore.

They definitely still have Monaco-specific parts, though I am wondering if they still will with the budget cap.

At minimum there will still be a Monaco-specific steering rack.

The POU suspension geometry that is now not allowed made for some cool stuff in recent years, too.

This is cool

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Not "F1" per se as it was filmed at the Historique, but this video, with a good set of headphones, is pretty impressive.

Too bad we can't get onboards with this quality during quali or races.

the lack of 4K footage onboard makes no sense to me. film it during FP, film it in last years car with a backup driver, etc. would be cool as hell

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Pray for rain. 

watched back in ~96 when damn near every car crashed out in the rain and everyone that finished scored points.  bob varsha and crew were explaining that a road car, with more mechanical grip just due to the weight, would get around the track faster in those conditions

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Hard to believe they can’t widen the track in some areas. 

Everything is super-compact down that close to the water. When they widened the pit lane, they had to move the Piscine exit chicane quite a bit closer to the water. It's crazy how much more wide open and faster that chicane is now compared to how it used to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
28 minutes ago, wood said:
So now McLaren might be looking at ways to end Danny's contract? Wow.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/mclaren-to-consider-ricciardo-future-soon.html

A little early for that, but he better pick it up soon.

From everything I'm reading, it sounds like he already has an axe hanging over his head.

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

Grim, Danny.

He’s regressing. At his age, the team

has confined he isn’t in Norris’ class in this car. Time to bring in someone young, even if the results don’t change, the potential does. 

Love Danny but he just isn’t close to getting it done.  Wonder if that’s it for him in F1?  At least for next season?