Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

8 minutes ago, wood said:

O/T Youtube TV has a system that somehow can tell when a show is really finished. You don't have to program extra time for anything, and it always records the whole thing. I have no idea how they pull that off, but it's really great for sports. /csb

They just link your account to a copy of the program once it has aired.  It’s all centralized and saves them storage space.  Instead of a gazillion individual recordings, they just have a few copies spread out over their data centers.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Wow, I didn’t realize it was that bad. Might as well have been two separate races. 

Alonso was told by the team to manage tires but when they told him about Ocon's penalty, he picked the pace back up to the same pace as the cars in front of him. I thought it was pretty funny that once Ocon caught Lewis, Alonso left, but Lewis didn't wanna go with him, backing up Ocon instead. 

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They just link your account to a copy of the program once it has aired.  It’s all centralized and saves them storage space.  Instead of a gazillion individual recordings, they just have a few copies spread out over their data centers.

Yeah that's pretty much what I had figured, but I'm usually wrong about stuff like that. It really works very, very well.

Edited by wood

11 hours ago, wood said:

O/T Youtube TV has a system that somehow can tell when a show is really finished. You don't have to program extra time for anything, and it always records the whole thing. I have no idea how they pull that off, but it's really great for sports. /csb

Yup. Never have to worry the recording stopping early in the event of OT, ET & penalties, rain delays, etc. Especially CFB games that always seem to run 4+ hrs these days. It really is a great feature, one I’m surprised no one thought of before they did.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Grimas said:

Did Gassely ever get penalized for blowing the corner and passing on it?  It was "noted" 10 minutes later but I never saw anything about it afterwards...

I don't think so. Martin thouhgt it deserved a penalty and so did I. I wonder what he thought about it when Lewis blew that chicane with Danny on his gearbox and kept the lead. I don't remember him complaining then (iirc).

I've never understood how/why they punish off-track excursions by the attacking driver but when the defending driver does it, it's almost always ok. If you gain a spot by goping off track, you should have to give up the position. If you have to go off track to hold a position or are just forced into a mistake by pressure from an attacker, then you should also have to cede the position. 

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And all that Red Bull merchandise being sold in Mexico is another huge plus.  Checo is ridiculously popular there.

Yeah. He's everywhere you look down there. And iirc Ted or someone said the other day that something like 30+% of Red Bull's merch sales now come from Mexico. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, wood said:

I don't think so. Martin thouhgt it deserved a penalty and so did I. I wonder what he thought about it when Lewis blew that chicane with Danny on his gearbox and kept the lead. I don't remember him complaining then (iirc).

I've never understood how/why they punish off-track excursions by the attacking driver but when the defending driver does it, it's almost always ok. If you gain a spot by goping off track, you should have to give up the position. If you have to go off track to hold a position or are just forced into a mistake by pressure from an attacker, then you should also have to cede the position. 

didn't he tell lewis in an interview session last year that lewis should have had to give up the position?

43 minutes ago, elfenix said:

didn't he tell lewis in an interview session last year that lewis should have had to give up the position?

Yeah, maybe so. I never saw that. If he did say that, then that's spot on. I was just thinking of how he didn't say much about it during that race. IIRC, there wasn't even an investigation.

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sainz cut clean through a corner on Sunday and I don't believe it was looked at either.  He had the sense to back off for the rest of the lap though so there was no advantage gained.

Yeah people blow chicanes etc all the time, but when they didn't gain a position or keep from losing one with the mistake, and as long as they give back the advantage gained, it's usually fine in the eyes of the stewards. But they do count those mistakes for each driver, and then if they do it too much, they'll get a warning and then a penalty.

Jos, LOLZ.

Imaging having a prick dad that none of your friends like.

https://racer.com/2022/05/31/jos-verstappen-unhappy-max-was-not-helped-in-monaco-victory-bid/

“The championship leader, Max, was not helped in that sense by the chosen strategy. It turned completely to Checo’s favor. That was disappointing to me, and I would have liked it to be different for the championship leader.

“Perez actually won the race because of the earlier pit stop. The team can perhaps explain that as a gamble, but they had already seen, with for example Gasly, that the intermediates were the best option at that time.

I would have liked them to go for Max, but of course I am not entirely objective. I think ten points from Max have been thrown away here. Especially with the two retirements we’ve had, we need every point. Don’t forget that Ferrari currently has a better car, especially in qualifying.

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

Jos, LOLZ.

https://racer.com/2022/05/31/jos-verstappen-unhappy-max-was-not-helped-in-monaco-victory-bid/

“The championship leader, Max, was not helped in that sense by the chosen strategy. It turned completely to Checo’s favor. That was disappointing to me, and I would have liked it to be different for the championship leader.

“Perez actually won the race because of the earlier pit stop. The team can perhaps explain that as a gamble, but they had already seen, with for example Gasly, that the intermediates were the best option at that time.

I would have liked them to go for Max, but of course I am not entirely objective. I think ten points from Max have been thrown away here. Especially with the two retirements we’ve had, we need every point. Don’t forget that Ferrari currently has a better car, especially in qualifying.

Yeah fuck that guy lol

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texas08 said:

Jos, LOLZ.

Perez "actually won the race" because he beat your son's ass in qualifying, you child abusing prick.

14 hours ago, texas08 said:

Jos, LOLZ.

you know, you think it's impossible for him to be any more of a monumental asshole and then he shows "naw, you were wrong"

what a cunt.

interesting teammate graphic

v2j6agmggt291.png

i had no clue that Ocon had that long of a contract in place. the max contract always makes me laugh, just because it is so long. then i remember he is like 24 y/o.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Looks like 9 drivers have contracts expiring this year.  Interesting.

some of them are funky. Stroll isn't going anywhere. I bet Zhou and Albon both stay.

seats i think will ACTUALLY be open next year:

• 2 seats at AT (Gasly + Yuki)
  • 1 seat at Alpine (Alonso going somewhere else?)
  • 1 seat at AM (Seb...Stroll isn't going anywhere)
  • 1 seat at Alfa (but Zhou likely to fill this slot with $China?)
  • 1 seats Williams (bet they keep Albon, but Latifi is toast)
  • 1 seat at Haas (Mick?, but lots could happen here)

1 hour ago, NoName said:

some of them are funky. Stroll isn't going anywhere. I bet Zhou and Albon both stay.

If Yuki keeps up his improvement this year, I think he'll get one more year.  RB has a lot of junior drivers, but none of them are killing it this year so far. If Hauger and Vips were both having amazing years then maybe, but right now, neither looks all that ready for F1.

The current rumor is that Haas is tired of Mick not only failing to score but getting in costly accidents, so they will move on, but Aston may be interested in Mick due to sponsorship/marketability plus he will make Lance look good. Piastri to Williams makes a lot of sense, especially if they switch to the Renault PU.

I think Zhou has to go. Pourchaire is a huge talent. He's my bet to win F2 this year, and I think he's the most deserving F2 driver to get promoted. I think he has a higher ceiling even than Piastri.  Plus, this year is showing that between prize money and potential sponsor money, it pays to have two talented drivers instead of a pay driver. Haas would probably be 2-3 spots higher with a second K-Mag level driver and Alfa would be running away with 4th place instead of being one point away from 6th. Jumping 2-3 spots in the standings is worth about 1/2 of what a pay driver brings in being the 4th place team that consistently scores points and earns screen time could translate to a lot of sponsorship money now that F1 is getting so huge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Yuki keeps up his improvement this year, I think he'll get one more year.  RB has a lot of junior drivers, but none of them are killing it this year so far. If Hauger and Vips were both having amazing years then maybe, but right now, neither looks all that ready for F1.

The current rumor is that Haas is tired of Mick not only failing to score but getting in costly accidents, so they will move on, but Aston may be interested in Mick due to sponsorship/marketability plus he will make Lance look good. Piastri to Williams makes a lot of sense, especially if they switch to the Renault PU.

I think Zhou has to go. Pourchaire is a huge talent. He's my bet to win F2 this year, and I think he's the most deserving F2 driver to get promoted. I think he has a higher ceiling even than Piastri.  Plus, this year is showing that between prize money and potential sponsor money, it pays to have two talented drivers instead of a pay driver. Haas would probably be 2-3 spots higher with a second K-Mag level driver and Alfa would be running away with 4th place instead of being one point away from 6th. Jumping 2-3 spots in the standings is worth about 1/2 of what a pay driver brings in being the 4th place team that consistently scores points and earns screen time could translate to a lot of sponsorship money now that F1 is getting so huge.

i think the *ONLY* way Zhou stays with Alfa is a huge jump in investment from China. China is a *HUGE* F1 market and obviously there is a ton of cash there. Betting if they bump him for Pourchaire, he finds another seat somewhere (Haas? Williams?) - Bottas is thoroughly smoking the shit out of Zhou by a huge gap. 

image.png.fad9b524380b5261537027db2302a89f.png

image.png.513d6ab17e8a8d1514c04c2fa681b603.png

looking at the F1 teammates comparison the Yuki/Gasly fight is much closer than I had actually thought it was.

image.png.ca7c8eb727eb189d613530f0bf583b91.png

data source: https://f1teammatestats.herokuapp.com/index.php

Danny Ric vs Lando:

Spoiler

image.png.b36f93c3527417730621ce5a1713401b.png

Albon vs Latifi:

Spoiler

image.png.2980479f069c593b1ecded991b5aed22.png

Lewis vs George:

Spoiler

image.png.27102f1ca904bf10441857217ef5afdc.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think the *ONLY* way Zhou stays with Alfa is a huge jump in investment from China. China is a *HUGE* F1 market and obviously there is a ton of cash there. Betting if they bump him for Pourchaire, he finds another seat somewhere (Haas? Williams?) - Bottas is thoroughly smoking the shit out of Zhou by a huge gap. 

image.png.fad9b524380b5261537027db2302a89f.png

image.png.513d6ab17e8a8d1514c04c2fa681b603.png

looking at the F1 teammates comparison the Yuki/Gasly fight is much closer than I had actually thought it was.

image.png.ca7c8eb727eb189d613530f0bf583b91.png

data source: https://f1teammatestats.herokuapp.com/index.php

Danny Ric vs Lando:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.b36f93c3527417730621ce5a1713401b.png

Albon vs Latifi:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2980479f069c593b1ecded991b5aed22.png

Lewis vs George:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.27102f1ca904bf10441857217ef5afdc.png

Haas would make the most sense. They could probably get $40 mil per year out of him if they're the only ones with a seat open. Regardless of what Gene and Guenther say, they need the money in order to remain competitive after this year.  Maybe Gene would be worried about jumping into bed with China right after what happened with Russia, but I doubt it. He got a nice windfall from the Mazepin situation and Gene Haas is generally a greedy piece of shit who's already gone to prison for tax fraud and witness intimidation.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Agree. Yuki is doing pretty well for a young driver who's in his 3nd year of F1.

He actually has more points than Pierre Gasly (11 vs 6), and he's really affordable. His salary is $750,000/year compared to Gasly's $6,000,000/year.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

interesting teammate graphic

v2j6agmggt291.png

i had no clue that Ocon had that long of a contract in place. the max contract always makes me laugh, just because it is so long. then i remember he is like 24 y/o.

Yeah they extended Ocon early last season. Great move for him, by his manager. Not sure it was that smart of the team though.

6 hours ago, NoName said:

I honestly think Alonso will be back at Alpinbe - or in a McLaren, opposite Lando. The seldom seen Lando - Nando combo.

• Haha 3

Just now, wood said:

I honestly think Alonso will be back at Alpinbe - or in a McLaren, opposite Lando. The seldom seen Lando - Nando combo.

If McLaren moves on from Danny, I don't think they go Alonso.  I think it's either Piastri (if Alonso stays at Alpine) or O'Ward (who still needs a superlicense).  Danny better get his shit together ASAP.  He was right there with Lando the first few races of the year, but ever since his wreck at Imola it's like we're back in 2021 and Lando is way better again.

• Hook 'Em 1

If McLaren moves on from Danny, I don't think they go Alonso.  I think it's either Piastri (if Alonso stays at Alpine) or O'Ward (who still needs a superlicense).  Danny better get his shit together ASAP.  He was right there with Lando the first few races of the year, but ever since his wreck at Imola it's like we're back in 2021 and Lando is way better again.

Agree with this, but it won’t be Piastri because Alpine won’t allow it.

O’Ward or Herta I can see (if Andretti gets blue-balled with their entry). If if none of those I could see Gasly, even.

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Agree with this, but it won’t be Piastri because Alpine won’t allow it.

O’Ward or Herta I can see (if Andretti gets blue-balled with their entry). If if none of those I could see Gasly, even.

Yeah, I think Gasly would be Option C after those 2, but he's been really inconsistent this year.  If Alpine isn't going to give Piastri a seat, surely they'd release him to go elsewhere, wouldn't they?

Yeah, I think Gasly would be Option C after those 2, but he's been really inconsistent this year.  If Alpine isn't going to give Piastri a seat, surely they'd release him to go elsewhere, wouldn't they?

You’d certainly hope so, it’s just that McLaren is a pretty close rival to them so it’s hard to see. I dunno.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I could see them going Alonso if they ditch Danny. Brown loves Fernando, and Fernando is not done. He's driving the wheels off of that Alpine.

Also, I've been hearing some stuff about O'Ward not getting along with Arrow McLaren. Like really not getting along.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I can't see any reason McLaren would take Gasly over Alonso & maybe some others. He has seemed pretty lost this year.

I could see them going Alonso if they ditch Danny. Brown loves Fernando, and Fernando is not done. He's driving the wheels off of that Alpine.
Also, I've been hearing some stuff about O'Ward not getting along with Arrow McLaren. Like really not getting along.

Maybe, but he (O’Ward) just signed an extension thru 2025 5 days ago.

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Maybe, but he (O’Ward) just signed an extension thru 2025 5 days ago.

K. But he still needs his SL I think, right? BTW does Herta have his? IIRC, he doesn't. I'm not 100% sold on either of them just yet though.

10 minutes ago, wood said:

I can't see any reason McLaren would take Gasly over Alonso & maybe some others. He has seemed pretty lost this year.

I guess I don't see Alonso leaving Alpine unless that's what he wants.  I have to think they want to keep him.  

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I guess I don't see Alonso leaving Alpine unless that's what he wants.  I have to think they want to keep him.  

Yeah I tend to agree, but sometimes these teams do wild things. They really like Piastri, but Alonso is performing at a very high level & they  (screwed up and) signed Ocon early, so they have a bit of a conundrum.

Some people want to kick Alonso to the curb for a rookie who's unproven in F1, which makes very little sense imho.

I could also see Alonso at Andretti later if that ever happens. There's a lot of noise about Alonso going to AM to replace Vettel, but I just don't see it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of Alonso, here therace.com explains Alpine's slow strategy in the second half of Monaco. Good summary. They didn't want to overheat the tires and end up being pressured like Perez was at the end. There's also some talk about his hands/wrists that are a mess after that crash in Melbopurne.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/unapologetic-alonsos-canny-monaco-gp-tactics-explained/

Oh, and here's Alonso's super rare La Ferrari he broke out in Monaco. Apparently it's one of only 3 in that spec, and the only one in matte black.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-fernando-alonso-in-a-4-7-million-laferrari-in-monaco-two-time-world-champion-brings-out-his-ultra-rare-matte-black-ferrari-after-the-monaco-gp/

87928cc4-untitled-design-1.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah they extended Ocon early last season. Great move for him, by his manager. Not sure it was that smart of the team though.

I don't understand this statement. Ocon doesn't get much exposure, but he's quietly at number 8 in the driver standings with 30 points. He's ahead of Ricciardo (11), Tsunoda (11), Alonso (10) and Gasly (6).

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Still don't get the Gasly love.

2 hours ago, wood said:

I haven't heard much appreciation for the Alpine car. They haven't had reliability issues and their PUs are decent - it's almost a shame no other teams are using their PUs.

1 minute ago, Superhero said:

I don't understand this statement. Ocon doesn't get much exposure, but he's quietly at number 8 in the driver standings with 30 points. He's ahead of Ricciardo (11), Tsunoda (11), Alonso (10) and Gasly (6).

Still don't get the Gasly love.

I haven't heard much appreciation for the Alpine car. They haven't had reliability issues and their PUs are decent - it's almost a shame no other teams are using their PUs.

Ocon's ahead of those guys on points, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Alonso has been whipping him on pace, and has had almost all of the bad luck this season. Alonso has been quicker than Ocon in probably 3/4  or more of all the sessions this year, and not just by a little. Alonso has similar points to Ricciardo and Gasly, but their performance hasn't been remotely similar. Both Ricciardo and Gasly seem to be utterly lost this year.

Re: the car, the biggest problem is that it's a tire eater (which is one big reason they had to go slow in Monaco). The PU seems to have plenty of power. It has had some reliability issues though. In a PU freeze, that's better than being reliable but underpowered.

19 minutes ago, wood said:

Ocon's ahead of those guys on points, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Alonso has been whipping him on pace, and has had almost all of the bad luck this season. Alonso has been quicker than Ocon in probably 3/4  or more of all the sessions this year, and not just by a little. Alonso has similar points to Ricciardo and Gasly, but their performance hasn't been remotely similar. Both Ricciardo and Gasly seem to be utterly lost this year.

Re: the car, the biggest problem is that it's a tire eater (which is one big reason they had to go slow in Monaco). The PU seems to have plenty of power. It has had some reliability issues though. In a PU freeze, that's better than being reliable but underpowered.

On top of that, I would add that Ocon tends to be dirty and cause collisions in close racing, like in Monaco and like he almost did in Saudi with his teammate and numerous times in previous seasons. 

He’s decidedly average, which doesn’t justify the long-term deal Alpine gave him. 

• Hook 'Em 1