Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

On top of that, I would add that Ocon tends to be dirty and cause collisions in close racing, like in Monaco and like he almost did in Saudi with his teammate and numerous times in previous seasons. 

He’s decidedly average, which doesn’t justify the long-term deal Alpine gave him. 

Yeah that was nuts how they were racing each other. Surprised there wasn't a team order for one of them to let up.

16 hours ago, wood said:

I could also see Alonso at Andretti later if that ever happens. There's a lot of noise about Alonso going to AM to replace Vettel, but I just don't see it.

until this moment, I didn't know I wanted an Alonso/Herta combo at Andretti

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Superhero said:

I don't understand this statement. Ocon doesn't get much exposure, but he's quietly at number 8 in the driver standings with 30 points. He's ahead of Ricciardo (11), Tsunoda (11), Alonso (10) and Gasly (6).

Danny Rick, Yuki, Alonso and Gasly all may be changing seats next year.

He has 30 points and is 10 behind Bottas in a fucking Alfa. Obviously things are different in 2022 - but last year, Alfa had 13 TOTAL points all year long.

he is at the back of what is a large drop off between the top group of drivers and everyone else. he has the same length contract as the guys highlighted and a 1 year shorter deal than Norris (who is 22, 3 years younger than him)

image.thumb.png.9426b9c89171d7e543819af16c0685fc.png

His contract is too long for a guy who has proven to be solid and has not shown any flashes of brilliance to make you think he is a either a future world champion or even a very good 2nd driver for a WCC contending team...and he has driven for basically 5 full seasons in f1 at this point.

2 podiums in 5 full seasons and finishing in the bottom half of the grid in points every year outside of 2017 typically doesn't end up with someone having a contract of that length.

If he was Italian or British or German, who here thinks he ends up with that long of a deal?

Last year he was basically even with Alonso, who had not driven in an F1 race since 2018 - Alonso is obviously really damn good, but still.

2021 quali was super close (11/11, with a gap of 0.005% in favor of Alonso) but race pace was a different story. 12/5 in favor of Alonso, and after the first 5 races it was 12/2 in favor of Alonso

image.png.03dd5883567527aa4f6b983635018b1f.png

does this sound like a guy who your team wants to lock in for the same amount of time as Leclerc is locked in to FER? or Perez is locked into RBR?

Edited by NoName

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

Danny Rick, Yuki, Alonso and Gasly all may be changing seats next year.

He has 30 points and is 10 behind Bottas in a fucking Alfa. Obviously things are different in 2022 - but last year, Alfa had 13 TOTAL points all year long.

he is at the back of what is a large drop off between the top group of drivers and everyone else. he has the same length contract as the guys highlighted and a 1 year shorter deal than Norris (who is 22, 3 years younger than him)

image.thumb.png.9426b9c89171d7e543819af16c0685fc.png

His contract is too long for a guy who has proven to be solid and has not shown any flashes of brilliance to make you think he is a either a future world champion or even a very good 2nd driver for a WCC contending team...and he has driven for basically 5 full seasons in f1 at this point.

2 podiums in 5 full seasons and finishing in the bottom half of the grid in points every year outside of 2017 typically doesn't end up with someone having a contract of that length.

If he was Italian or British or German, who here thinks he ends up with that long of a deal?

Last year he was basically even with Alonso, who had not driven in an F1 race since 2018 - Alonso is obviously really damn good, but still.

2021 quali was super close (11/11, with a gap of 0.005% in favor of Alonso) but race pace was a different story. 12/5 in favor of Alonso, and after the first 5 races it was 12/2 in favor of Alonso

image.png.03dd5883567527aa4f6b983635018b1f.png

does this sound like a guy who your team wants to lock in for the same amount of time as Leclerc is locked in to FER? or Perez is locked into RBR?

image.png

Yep, after those first 5 races, Alonso really took it to Ocon, and he has only increased the pressure this year. Barring more bad luck he has no control over (damage from other cars, reliability issues, getting blocked in Qualifying, the team putting him in traffic in qualifying, etc), imho he'll pass and pull away from Ocon on points. He's already done it in terms of performance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

until this moment, I didn't know I wanted an Alonso/Herta combo at Andretti

Yeah that sounds pretty good. He'd be a great mentor for any young driver. Ocon, Zhou, iirc Piastri, and his WEC teammates Seb Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima have all raved about how much Alonso guided them and shared info with them. 

Vandoorne v Alonso is a good example imho of why Alpine would be wise to retain Alonso while doing what they need to do to get Piastri seat time with another team. Piastri has a fantastic record so far and may very well be the next big thing in F1. But he might not, too, as we saw when Vandoorne came into McLaren on fire, GP2 champ, Formula renault champ, etc. Many hailed him as the next big thing, a 'can't miss' prospect, etc. At the time, we heard a lot of the same old brain-dead nonsense, like "Proven Top 5-10 driver & multiple WDC over there needs to make way for Unproven Youngster over here. He's had his chance! Make room for the young guy!!!1!1!!"

Some even went as far as to say he'd 'wipe the floor' with Alonso. Didn't really work out that way at all. Alonso absolutely crushed Vandoorne. He beat Vandoorne in 2017 on 3 fewer race finishes and then absolutely handed him his ass in 2018. Alonso out-qualified him 37-3 across two seasons and the last 26 in a row to finish him off. As slow as Vandoorne was in qualifying, he seemed to be even slower on race pace, especially in 2018, and his racecraft was nowhere. Stofffel was mgiven a chance but just didn't produce. McLaren had to move on from the 'can't miss' prospect to Lando, which seems to have worked out pretty well, as Lando has produced, in spades.

Really, Ocon vs Alonso looks pretty similar over two seasons but not as one-sided. 2021 had Alonso coming back after a 2-year hiatus vs Ocon with more than a year in the car and the team. The only time Ocon had the edge over Alonso was from the beginning of the 2021 season through Monaco. From that point on Alonso beat Ocon 2/3 of the time.  This year, in a car that's new to both of them, Alonso generally has top 5-7 pace while Ocon struggles and lags 5-10 positions behind in most sessions. Sorry so long lol ...

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yeah that sounds pretty good. He'd be a great mentor for any young driver. Ocon, Zhou, iirc Piastri, and his WEC teammates Seb Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima have all raved about how much Alonso guided them and shared info with them. 

Vandoorne v Alonso is a good example imho of why Alpine would be wise to retain Alonso while doing what they need to do to get Piastri seat time with another team. Piastri has a fantastic record so far and may very well be the next big thing in F1. But he might not, too, as we saw when Vandoorne came into McLaren on fire, GP2 champ, Formula renault champ, etc. Many hailed him as the next big thing, a 'can't miss' prospect, etc. At the time, we heard a lot of the same old brain-dead nonsense, like "Proven Top 5-10 driver & multiple WDC over there needs to make way for Unproven Youngster over here. He's had his chance! Make room for the young guy!!!1!1!!"

Some even went as far as to say he'd 'wipe the floor' with Alonso. Didn't really work out that way at all. Alonso absolutely crushed Vandoorne. He beat Vandoorne in 2017 on 3 fewer race finishes and then absolutely handed him his ass in 2018. Alonso out-qualified him 37-3 across two seasons and the last 26 in a row to finish him off. As slow as Vandoorne was in qualifying, he seemed to be even slower on race pace, especially in 2018, and his racecraft was nowhere. Stofffel was mgiven a chance but just didn't produce. McLaren had to move on from the 'can't miss' prospect to Lando, which seems to have worked out pretty well, as Lando has produced, in spades.

Really, Ocon vs Alonso looks pretty similar over two seasons but not as one-sided. 2021 had Alonso coming back after a 2-year hiatus vs Ocon with more than a year in the car and the team. The only time Ocon had the edge over Alonso was from the beginning of the 2021 season through Monaco. From that point on Alonso beat Ocon 2/3 of the time.  This year, in a car that's new to both of them, Alonso generally has top 5-7 pace while Ocon struggles and lags 5-10 positions behind in most sessions. Sorry so long lol ...

I didn't follow F1 or the Feeder series when Vandoorne was coming up, but I don't understand why people thought he'd be so good. Yeah, he won a couple series, but he didn't win F2 his first year and both years he was in F2 the talent pool was very underwhelming. On top of that, he was 23 when he finally won F2, whereas guys like Leclerc and Russell were 19/20.  Plenty of drivers who cant cut it in F1 have won F2. The good ones win it in their first year while they're young for the class. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I didn't follow F1 or the Feeder series when Vandoorne was coming up, but I don't understand why people thought he'd be so good. Yeah, he won a couple series, but he didn't win F2 his first year and both years he was in F2 the talent pool was very underwhelming. On top of that, he was 23 when he finally won F2, whereas guys like Leclerc and Russell were 19/20.  Plenty of drivers who cant cut it in F1 have won F2. The good ones win it in their first year while they're young for the class. 

Yeah I didn't get it either. Yes, he had good credentials, but as we see over and over in F1 and other sports, you don't know what someone can do at the top level of a sport until they're competing in the top level of that sport.

Dunno if y’all are nerdy for how stuff actually works like me, but I saw these photos of the Haas and wondered where the hell the input shaft for the gearbox was with all this suspension in the way.

38e940da6e3016631973153d4f7482cd.jpg

619af227f8814ed7ac35046ebcfe9ba4.jpg

Turns out that it just has a long input shaft (twss) that makes its way between all of that stuff in the bellhousing area into the clutch which is mounted on the engine side like a road car.

Back of engine/clutch/slave cylinder

ec034eb6f999e03142e354a63cf597a6.jpg

Approximate input shaft location (was ripped out/sheared in the shunt)

996073660ceb77b1b184562beb4c3e22.jpg

Scarbs drawing of a 2014 Mercedes which is how all teams have the gearbox set up now.

bcb272a93d5fbefa9e449608bcc997c6.png

And for more fun, the labeled suspension components. Lots going on here.

bca4e56344c7afe7052ad5c1a036c070.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Seems a little unfair that the other teams get such a great view of the inner workings of the Haas machine.

But then again, I guess if you avoid crashing into a barrier and splitting your car in two, it wouldn't be a problem...

28 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Dunno if y’all are nerdy for how stuff actually works like me, but I saw these photos of the Haas and wondered where the hell the input shaft for the gearbox was with all this suspension in the way.

Turns out that it just has a long input shaft (twss) that makes its way between all of that stuff in the bellhousing area into the clutch which is mounted on the engine side like a road car.

Scarbs drawing of a 2014 Mercedes which is how all teams have the gearbox set up now.

Good shit

22 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Just got an email from the Canadian GP that the Pit Walk is still going to happen on Thursday from 9-noon.  Very excited about that as it will be our only chance to get up close and personal on this trip.

Yep, I just saw that in my inbox too. It says they're expecting a record crowd, like COTA, Spain, and Melbourne, which is nice...

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for posting. This is the type of shit that keeps me interested the most

I don’t really know how it all works buts fun to try and figure out. Crazy shit

By the way, I saw a sloppy zip tie, that must have been the cause

Heavy F1 cars suck.

Weight making F1 cars split in two says Alonso https://www.grandprix.com/news/weight-making-f1-cars-split-in-two-says-alonso.html#.YpmPW0EpKK8.twitter

That is the view of Fernando Alonso, who since making his debut way back in 2001 has seen the overall weight of F1 cars increase from 600 to today's almost 800kg.

"The accident we saw was very serious," said the Spaniard. "It was almost like Jeddah again, where Mick's car was also split into two halves. The gearbox was separated from the chassis, as it was again in Monaco.

"Luckily he was alright but I hope Formula 1 and the FIA will draw the right conclusions."

Indeed, 40-year-old Alonso thinks the fact the car couldn't withstand the crashes is a sign not necessarily of a design flaw or the speed, but simply because today's cars weigh so much.

"It seems to me that the car didn't split into two because something was wrong with it. The problem isn't the cars themselves, but their weight," the Alpine driver and former two-time world champion added.

"They are very heavy, currently more than 800 kilograms, so the inertia when they hit the wall is much higher than before. Perhaps this experience will teach us something," said Alonso.

After Brown made the comment about Danny having not met expectations, Danny put "F.E.A." (apparently = Fuck Em All) on the back of his helmet in Monaco. I guess it's looking like that relationship is heading in the wrong direction.

46v6d17mu8291.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Checo posted on IG apologizing for partying hard after Monaco. NO FUCKING SHIT, HE JUST WON MÓNACO…

Apparently there are some videos of him pretty fucked up and maybe flirting w other broads. He’s married, so people trying to start shit.

keep partying Checo, shit you’re doing is literally historic for Mexico. Who gives a fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, wood said:

After Brown made the comment about Danny having not met expectations, Danny put "F.E.A." (apparently = Fuck Em All) on the back of his helmet in Monaco. I guess it's looking like that relationship is heading in the wrong direction.

46v6d17mu8291.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

It can’t hurt. Nurturing, positive vibes haven’t snapped Daniel out of it, maybe getting him pissed off makes him figure something out. At this point Brown has nothing to lose, Danny is flat out failing 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

gonxq3aX_o.jpg

Timeless looking photo. I'm in the minority, I suppose, but I love Monaco. 

I don't know that you're in the minority, I love it too, it's my favorite race each year.  It's so beautiful, and sure the track has its limitations, but that doesn't diminish  the spectacle of the thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep^. If that bulkhead doesn’t break apart, then the next weakest link is the engine/monocoque one (which happened with Grojean) and that exposes the fuel tank and ES which isn’t ideal.

Going back to the input shaft discussion for a second, here it is from Mick’s crash in Jeddah.

ed1111cbee064d4e691a33ece83f83a3.jpg

I don't know that you're in the minority, I love it too, it's my favorite race each year.  It's so beautiful, and sure the track has its limitations, but that doesn't diminish  the spectacle of the thing.

I love the spectacle. I hate the race. When Alonso can go 3 sec a lap slow on purpose and hold position, that's a problem.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Haven't traveled internationally since COVID. For you pros, what's the best option for testing to fly back home after Montreal?

Check with your hotel. They can probably hook you up, possibly even with a doc or nurse testing you in your room. That's the way it's done in Mexico.

Check with your hotel. They can probably hook you up, possibly even with a doc or nurse testing you in your room. That's the way it's done in Mexico.

Even better, they’ll just give you the test to take in your room and you show the results to the concierge, who then procures the form you’ll need to show the airline.

Or, find a pharmacie nearby, and just walk in and get results in 15-20 mins.

Last option is to take a special CDC-approved at-home test with you, where you can video conference with a person who watches you swab and do the test and then emails the form needed. We did the same Abbott test as usual in Italy but the video conference option added like $20 or $30 to the cost per test at purchase.

46 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Even better, they’ll just give you the test to take in your room and you show the results to the concierge, who then procures the form you’ll need to show the airline.

Or, find a pharmacie nearby, and just walk in and get results in 15-20 mins.

Last option is to take a special CDC-approved at-home test with you, where you can video conference with a person who watches you swab and do the test and then emails the form needed. We did the same Abbott test as usual in Italy but the video conference option added like $20 or $30 to the cost per test at purchase.

I dunno about now, but when we returned from Mexico in March, a PCR test was required and we had to wait a few hours for the results. Maybe it's changed since then.

I dunno about now, but when we returned from Mexico in March, a PCR test was required and we had to wait a few hours for the results. Maybe it's changed since then.

PCR is 100% not required.

I’ve come back twice from Europe in the last two months. Rapids worked fine both times.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's F1i, but I guess it could be accurate.

They say ESPN, NBC, Amazon and now Netflix are bidding for the US TV rights.

f1i.com/news/443837-netflix-set-to-bid-for-formula-1s-u-s-tv-rights.html

Please ... God ... 

no-darth-vader.gif

Fuck NBC. They fuck up viewing for every single sport they cover.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, wood said:

It's F1i, but I guess it could be accurate.

They say ESPN, NBC, Amazon and now Netflix are bidding for the US TV rights.

f1i.com/news/443837-netflix-set-to-bid-for-formula-1s-u-s-tv-rights.html

Please ... God ... 

no-darth-vader.gif

Fuck NBC. They fuck up viewing for every single sport they cover.

my hope is that Liberty isn't just going to take who offers the most but who ends up as the best partner

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

my hope is that Liberty isn't just going to take who offers the most but who ends up as the best partner

Exactly. NBC's coverage didn't attract people. Sky's (warts & all) coverage & Mother's ad-free broadcasts have helped F1 immensely in the US.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I'd expect that if Netflix or Amazon gets it, we'll see less of a traditional sports coverage style, and more of a dramatic angle.  I'm thinking "Drive To Survive: The Reality Show."

Given that, I honestly think I'd prefer NBC over either one of the streaming services.  

Sky/ESPN would remain the best option, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

If NBC gets it, I'll finally break down & get F1TV Pro. Life is too short to watch F1  or any other racing on NBC. I'm not doing that shit again. 

Netflix would likely suck too, but I'm not so sure about Amazon. They have done a good job with the sports I've seen there. They don't get in the way, and aren't providing the actual coverage, just broadcasting it like ESPN. The big problem might be (what I'm 100% guessing would be) a relatively small number of viewers on Amazon.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wood said:

The big problem might be (what I'm 100% guessing would be) a relatively small number of viewers on Amazon.

assuming it's just there with prime i don't think this will be a problem.  there's more prime subs than espn subs.

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

assuming it's just there with prime i don't think this will be a problem.  there's more prime subs than espn subs.

Yeah I had no idea really. I always figured there were a lot of people who subscribed for the purchasing benefits but not as much for viewing. So fwiw I guess then I'm pulling for ESPN continuing to rebroadcast Sky, or Prime. Netflix after that, but only if they rebroadcast Sky. Fuuuuuck NBC. So of course, NBC will prolly get it back.

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I would assume that F1TV will be no more with the money they are going to be paying for the rights.

Maybe, but VPN. And right now you can pick whichever audio feed you want to hear. Hopefully that would continue.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yeah I had no idea really. I always figured there were a lot of people who subscribed for the purchasing benefits but not as much for viewing. So fwiw I guess then I'm pulling for ESPN continuing to rebroadcast Sky, or Prime. Netflix after that, but only if they rebroadcast Sky. Fuuuuuck NBC. So of course, NBC will prolly get it back.

I think I'd still rather see an NBC boadcast of it, then what I suspect and fear Netflix would turn it into.  

Just now, utee94 said:

I think I'd still rather see an NBC boadcast of it, then what I suspect and fear Netflix would turn it into.  

Remember: Lee Diffey pumping sunshine x eleventy bazillion, along with eleventy bazillion commercial breaks. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1